Start by marking “My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of a Gun” as Want to Read:
My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of a Gun

My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of a Gun

4.08 of 5 stars 4.08  ·  rating details  ·  338 ratings  ·  15 reviews
A touching, humorous book, part autobiography, part the story of the author and his relationship with his father, part what it's like to grow up Southern--and a Southern male at that. This is a book written from deep in the heart.
Published August 12th 1986 by Villard (first published 1986)

To ask other readers questions about My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of a Gun, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of a Gun

Kenneth Allen
This book speaks of a man filled with faults yet still a hero to the author. A heart felt description from Lewis reveals the fact of how he loved his father, even though he was not perfect. A very human book.
Jasmine Dao
my first humor book, forced upon me in high school newspaper class. Fell in love with the whole genre. Southern wit, wry, easy.
Michele Schrotenboer
Recently read this one. I liked it much more than I thought I would. It's definitely a regional book about Southern culture, but it's mostly a book about a boy's love for his father, despite the ups and downs of life--abandonment, alcoholism. A neighbor lent it to me and it took awhile for me to get into it, but once I did, I enjoyed it a lot and feel like I'm a better person for reading it. Even made me cry.
Tricia Rogers
Very touching story of a son's love for his Daddy. I love Lewis Grizzard's work and this one was very moving indeed.
Ashley
Lewis Grizzard is normally quite hilarious and is one of my favorite comedic writers (like Don't Bend Over in the Garden Granny, You Know them Taters Got Eyes and Shoot Low Boys, They're Riding Shetland Ponies) but this book was about his father and although funny at times, was overall very sad. I cried at the end. Such a tear-jerker but still a great book.
David
My Daddy Was A Pistol and I'm a Son of a Gun by Lewis Grizzard (Dell 1988)(Biography). This is part of Lewis' autobiography /biography of his wandering harddrinking father. My rating: 7/10, finished 1989.
James
As funny as the rest of Grizzard's books and the most touching of them all - his account of the life of his alcoholic war hero con man father and their relationship.
Marty
In the bookcase waiting a second read. Loved his writing. His early death was a great loss to those of us who look to humor in writing at times.
Melissa
Touching and hilarious memoir of a larger-than-life man. Lewis Grizzard, Sr., could have been a character in a Tennessee Williams play.
Dan Smith
When we lost Grizzard, we lost a great southern spokesman. I love to read his stories.. I love to read about his life..
Mary Barks
I've read all of Grizzard's books - several times. He brings me back to my roots of Georgia.
Great book. I liked the part where he was talking about his dad's hot dog stand.
Murray Sullivan
Great book, sad story by a very funny man. We miss you Lewis.
Kitty
More fun from the Cracker who can write. OMG, I know that character!
Lisa
My Daddy Was a Pistol and I'm a Son of A by Lewis Grizzard (1988)
Sylvia
Sylvia marked it as to-read
Jun 13, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2015
Elena
Elena added it
May 06, 2015
Stephanie Shapiro
Stephanie Shapiro marked it as to-read
Apr 23, 2015
Shea
Shea marked it as to-read
Apr 06, 2015
  • Southern Fried Divorce
  • You're Stepping on My Cloak and Dagger
  • I'm Not Really Here
  • Once a Marine: An Iraq War Tank Commander's Inspirational Memoir of Combat, Courage, and Recovery (Bluejacket Books)
  • Flory: Survival in the Valley of Death
  • Don't Worry, He Won't Get Far on Foot
  • Molly Ivins Can't Say That, Can She?
  • Rubber Legs and White Tail-Hairs
  • The Darwin Awards II: Unnatural Selection (Darwin Awards, #2)
  • Fortunate Son: The Healing of a Vietnam Vet
  • Tales Too Ticklish to Tell: Bloom County
  • American Tapestry: The Story of the Black, White, and Multiracial Ancestors of Michelle Obama
  • Gun Guys: A Road Trip
  • Confessions of a Recovering Slut: And Other Love Stories
  • Bon Courage: Rediscovering the Art of Living in the Heart of France
  • Summer in Mossy Creek (Mossy Creek, #3)
  • Desperate Lands: The War on Terror Through the Eyes of a Special Forces Soldier
  • Family - The Ties that Bind...And Gag!
American writer and humorist, known for his Southern demeanor and commentary on the American South. Although he spent his early career as a newspaper sports writer and editor, becoming the sports editor of the Atlanta Journal at age 23, he is much better known for his humorous newspaper columns in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution. He was also a popular stand-up comedian & lecturer.

Grizzard als
More about Lewis Grizzard...
Don't Bend Over in the Garden, Granny, You Know Them Taters Got Eyes Elvis is Dead And I Don't Feel So Good Myself If I Ever Get Back to Georgia, I'm Gonna Nail My Feet to the Ground Shoot Low, Boys--They're Ridin' Shetland Ponies: In Search of True Grit They Tore Out My Heart and Stomped That Sucker Flat