Start by marking “What Kills Me (What Kills Me, #1)” as Want to Read:
What Kills Me (What Kills Me, #1)

What Kills Me (What Kills Me #1)

4.01  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,360 Ratings  ·  355 Reviews
An ancient prophecy warns of a girl destined to cause the extinction of the vampire race.

So when 17-year-old Axelia falls into a sacred well filled with blood and emerges a vampire, the immortal empire believes she is this legendary destroyer. Hunted by soldiers and mercenaries, Axelia and her reluctant ally, the vampire bladesmith Lucas, must battle to survive.

How will
Published June 6th 2012 by Jet & Jack Press

What Kills Me by Wynne ChanningEden Forest by Aoife Marie SheridanWater by Terra HarmonyTattered Heart by Annie JacksonThe Treachery of Beautiful Things by Ruth Frances Long
Beutiful Covers
1st out of 257 books — 127 voters
Vampire Academy by Richelle MeadTwilight by Stephenie MeyerMarked by P.C. CastCity of Bones by Cassandra ClareBlue Bloods by Melissa de la Cruz
Best Teen Vampire Fiction
79th out of 307 books — 4,492 voters

More lists with this book...

Sylvia
Oh. My. GOD! This book is freaking fantastic! I seriously could not put this book down and I had the "just one more chapter" dilemma going on and before I knew it I had finished it. I was feverishly devouring up every single word, and when I read the last line I was hoping there was more. There is going to be more right? There has to be more!!! I cannot tell you how much I LOVE this book. It would have to be one of my favourite vampire reads...right up there with The Immortal Rules by Julie Kaga ...more
Jeann (Happy Indulgence)
This review has also been posted on my Happy Indulgence Blog. Check it out for more reviews!

I really enjoyed What Kills Me, it's just so refreshing and fun to read! With the vampire genre being overdone so many times, the author still managed to breathe some life into the book to make it unique.

Axelia is just a normal girl living abroad when she bumps into a handsome man named Paolo. Looking for a bit of adventure, she decides to meet him for a late night date and unexpectedly gets turned into a
Sheri
Aug 17, 2012 Sheri rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reviewed
What Kills Me is not just another vampire story…I promise. The story is unique, fast paced, action packed, suspenseful in all the right places, and laugh out loud funny.

Axelia (Zee) is a 17-year-old girl studying abroad for a few months. She takes a chance on a guy who she figures she'll probably never see again, and it ends badly. Now thrown into the world of the paranormal, Zee must figure out how to survive as a vampire; not an easy task when just about everyone you meet is trying to kill you
RaiRaiKen
07-06-12

The author was very kind for letting me have a free ebook copy of this for review, and I'm very grateful! Thank you Ms. Channing!

I'm still on chapter three, but this book immediately made me laugh! That is very rare for a book to make me do. I usually don't have many reactions while reading. And this book just made me laugh! A very, very rare reaction!

For now, I LOVE What Kills Me!

UPDATE: 07-06-12

This kicks Twilight's hideous ass hard! One of the best vampire books I've ever read!

Oh! I
Annika
Nov 18, 2015 Annika rated it really liked it
Well, that was fun.
At the beginning, I was pretty sure I wasn't going to like the heroine. She started off with a few TSTL moments that made me shake my head in pity and annoyance, but quickly evolved into a very enjoyable and entertaining protagonist. Same thing with Lucas, though instead of being dumb like Zee, he was an ass at first.

So I'm really picky when it comes to vampires. I like my vampires bad-ass, preferably evil and heartless. There have been more 'humane' vampires I liked, too, bu
Aa'Ishah
Sep 09, 2012 Aa'Ishah rated it it was amazing
Isn’t it weird how you can read two books completely different and yet award them the same rating? This was something I was thinking about earlier when I finished this book. Thinking about my five star books, some of them I knew from the beginning that it was going to be an awesome read. With What Kills Me, this wasn’t the case. But after a bit of trouble with the opening, this book did a 180 and took me completely by surprise.

Axelia, otherwise known as Zee, is on a two month stay in Rome studyi
black lamb
Mar 18, 2014 black lamb rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror, reviewed, vampires
I picked up this book with bad intentions.

I've been bored of Serious Literature lately and honestly, I have a good time reading atrociously bad books, trashing them in reviews, and exposing my friends to the pain. That's why I have so many negative reviews up - a negative review is way more fun to write than a positive one. So I saw this book, thought the cover looked stupid and the synopsis seemed like it was rife with this generation of YA's current fads of violent sexism, and picked it up.

I
Diana Doan
Aug 01, 2013 Diana Doan rated it did not like it
Shelves: wanted-to-burn
Did I read the same book??

Alexis was a weak, whiny heroine. It wasn't until the last 10% of the book where she actually did anything. Throughout the book, Lucas was mean and an ass to her.

I felt the like book jumped from scene to scene; there was no progression or flow. Even Alexis and Lucas's relationship development was unbelievable. Yea, I guess you can kinda tell Alexis had some sort of feelings for Lucas. But one moment, Lucas couldn't stand her and wanted to get rid of her, and in the next
Marie
Jul 26, 2012 Marie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, 5-stars, vamps
This was frigging awesome.
So funny. I thought Lucas may be moody all the way through but he was just so funny!
It was refreshing.

And DAMN I've read about so many HOT guys called Lucas!

And he was definitely HOT.

I loved that ending.. It was great.
Can't wait for the next one!
Aug 13, 2015 Sarah rated it really liked it
Whhhhhaaaatttttt
This book is amazing omg
I love this vampire story and I NEED to read the next one
So so great
~Tina~
Jul 13, 2012 ~Tina~ rated it really liked it
Recommended to ~Tina~ by: From the author
What Kills Me is a heart pounding story about a girl named Axelia (Zee) who is studying in Rome and meets a kind boy who helps her find her way home. Charmed by his good manners and good looks, Axelia agrees to go out with him, but soon learns that he's not what he seems. Paolo is a Vampire. Running from her life, Axelia falls into a sacred well only to wake up dead and the girl who has been fated to end all vampires.

To be honest, I wasn't sure about this book at first, it was a little to fast i
Jude
Sep 14, 2012 Jude rated it liked it
I Loved the tragic aspect of the book, no, not in a sad way. But how Alexia became a vampire, and what she had to face afterwards was pretty much brutal. I really felt for her from the moment she woke up as a vampire. She had such a short time to grieve what she's lost before she's given a death sentence. Lucky her, she's special. The unlucky part is that she has to learn the hard way.

Speaking of unlucky characters: Meet Lucas. Hot and strong and protective. Did I miss anything? He also had to
Sherlyn
Jan 13, 2013 Sherlyn rated it it was amazing
This. Book. Is. AWESOME.

What Kills Me is filled with action, blood and romance. Wynne Channing is truly gifted and her writing made the whole story like a movie for me. I hope she gets a movie deal for her book someday.

The main character, Axelia, is the most hilarious character I have ever come across in all the books I've read. I actually sat there guffawing for a good five minutes before continuing the story, and this happened many times.

That said, there was also gore and blood in this book
Jill
Dec 19, 2012 Jill rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: vampire lovers
Recommended to Jill by: Lex (Fastidious Reader)

Gaaaah! This is one AWESOME book! I knew from the summary plot that I would like it. :))

Okay, before anything else, Thank you so much for recommending this book to me Lexie! I O U for it. :D

Alright, here we go.

From the very beginning to the very end, it's exciting! All of it was well created, character building, plot, twists and everything! And I love Zee, very adorable girl! She kind of reminds me of Anna from Sweet Evil and sometimes Vere from Unmaking Hunter Kennedy, their all naive in their
Heather
Dec 08, 2014 Heather rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Heather by: MOD-Sylvia
This is NOT your typical Vampire Story. Most books about vampires all have most of the same things but this was completely different and I loved it from page 1. The way Vee becomes a vampire was original and her powers compared to no others. I really liked all the characters. Vee was strong and extremely determined. Super funny that no matter how powerful she is, roaches still terrify her more than anything else! Lucas is the seriously sexy, vampire love interest. Possibly even better than Edwar ...more
Olivia ツ
What a surprising find!! This has features that I enjoy in a good book. Strong MC, hot male lead, action and lots of twists and turns. It kept my attention from beginning to end. The romance was subtle but it was there. So I think it will satisfy my romance-phobic friends. I loved that Zee is strong and finds ways of saving herself and doesn't just rely on Lucas. The banter and connection between the two was sweet and my inner 13 year old girl clapped her hands in glee a couple of times.

The endi
Rehma khan
Apr 13, 2014 Rehma khan rated it it was amazing
THIS BOOK WAS..... AMAZING!! I legit couldnt put it down when i started reading it. It was one of my favourite books ive ever read. When you read the summary you were probably like omg another vampire book, but trust me it isnt. This book has its own unique story and features that youll probably not find in other books. Its one of those books you have to read. Once you start it you cant wait to finish!
Cheryl La Pa
4.5 stars. If you are looking for a book full of action from the first page, with plenty of humour, a bit of romance and a different slant on vampires, then you will love this book. I was hooked and suffered the one-more-chapter syndrome the entire book. Highly recommended!
Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* .
Aug 29, 2012 Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* . rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: YA paranormal romance readers
Recommended to Hazel G. (I ♥ Mancandy) *Craves the Angst Reviews* by: Making Connections YA Edition
What Kills Me is a YA Paranormal Romance written by Wynne Channing. I read this as a R2R with Making Connections YA Edition. As always, a special thank you to the mods and author for allowing me to participate.

Awesome start! Keep them coming!

The Rundown:
Axelia, or Zee as is her nickname, is in Italy for the summer to go to school and hopefully have an adventure or two, but when she meets a handsome boy, things go from a night out on the town to very bad in a split second. She wanted a littl
Kilikina
Sep 04, 2012 Kilikina rated it it was ok
Ugh. I was really hoping this book was going to awesome...but I feel like it didn't bring anything new to the table as far as Vampire's go. :/

Axelia, while her name is still badass, fell short as a heroine for me. Not until the last 80% of the story did she start to take semi-advantage of her powers.
I really did not care for the romance in this story either. Lucas was way too distant and just flat out rude to Axelia. I'd hardly even consider them friends for the first half of the story based o
Mandy Sickle

I received this book from the author in return for a honest review. The book is about a 17 year old girl Alexia aka Zee to her friends. She's spending the summer in Rome, as luck would have it the first cute boy she meets just happens to be a vampire who wants to drink her blood. She gets away from him only to fall down a well to her death but to climb out a sire-less vampire. A sire-less vampire is prophesied to bring about the end of all the vampires, so the empress the leader of the vampires
Nikki Jefford
Apr 12, 2013 Nikki Jefford rated it it was amazing
I'm going to write a review this weekend. 14 hours to get on & off this island to run 3 errands today. Exhausted! Yeah. About that. Anyhow. My brain can't do justice to this book at the moment so this is a reminder to self: REVIEW this killer book!

I'm going to be honest, I read this because Wynne Channing seems super nice. I wasn't sure what to expect. I'm happy to report that Ms. Channing blew me away!

I think it's insane that this book only costs 99 cents, but I know how it goes trying to g
CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD
Feb 15, 2014 CasPerfitz~SLiTsReaD rated it it was amazing
Axelia a.k.a. Zee, 17 years old, from Winnipeg, Canada, is vacationing in Rome…. On the week that she’s there, to cut the story short, running from a date who wants to kill her, she fell into this sacred well filled with vampire blood and emerges as vampire! Which to the vampire world is an abomination, except for a prophesy of a girl falling into the well who will rise as vampire and will restore order by killing the entire vampire race. Now, on the run from the vampire queen’s soldiers and mer ...more
Jenne
Sep 07, 2013 Jenne rated it it was amazing
This was phenomenal! I need book 2 now! Don't let it fool you it's not YA at all and so so good! Zee is the perfect character. She's humble while being totally kick ass and her relationship with Lucas was exactly how I like them in a a book. I'm so glad I read this one and will be waiting not so patiently for book 2 later this year!
Carolina
Jul 08, 2015 Carolina marked it as dfl
LUCAS LUCAS!!! Ohh Lucas... I really have a BIG trauma with the name Lucas...
Janina
Jul 16, 2012 Janina rated it it was amazing
This fast paced, action packed novel blew me away. It took a different take on vampirism (pretty sure that's not a word)and that's what makes it so unique. Seeing an author come up with their own unique take on things is what makes a book amazing :)

The characters in this book was amazing :) I really came to love Axelia! She was 'the one' that everyone wanted to kill :) There was just so much action! I went through this book in the snap of a finger. I mean, I had to take a break to sleep, but th
Poison Rose
Sep 10, 2012 Poison Rose rated it it was amazing
Axelia (Zee) is studying Italian in the center of the culture in Italy. when she meets Paola things seem to be perfect, but things quickly go from good to bad, to worse. Paola is NOT what he seems to be and he leads Zee to the sacred grounds of the Ancients. When Zee finds herself drowning in a pool of blood and somehow manages to get out, things go from normal to creepy in a matter of minutes. Once she emerges she's taken to face the Queen and faces punishment for her intrusion on sacred ground ...more
Thomas Winship
Jun 19, 2012 Thomas Winship rated it it was amazing
Wynne Channing’s debut novel, “What Kills Me,” is to die for. I’m not being cute here; this vampire novel kicks the you-know-what out of most other vampire novels out there.

The premise is original. The characters are well developed. The settings are beautifully described. The story is fluid and fast-paced. The action is almost non-stop, but never over the top. Most importantly, the series’ potential is unlimited.

The main characters, Zee and Lucas, make you want to cheer. They’re damaged, yet de
Danielle Smiley
Aug 11, 2012 Danielle Smiley rated it it was amazing
Genre: YA/New Adult Urban Fantasy

My Review:
This was such a great read!!! **happy squeals** This was crazy hard to put down, the action just hits you from get get-go. We barely meet Axelia, whose friends call her Zee, before she meets a mysterious and quite yummy looking stranger, but all is not what it seems. Then like tsunami waves, the action just keeps coming. Insane crap keeps happening to this girl, she just CANNOT catch a break! And you are left in shock going, "NO FREAKIN' WAY!!!"

Axelia i
Maghon Thomas
So, I normally shy away from Vampire stories. Yeah, I know, WTF is wrong with me! Not loving vampires. Lol BUT I LOVE THE COVER!!! But the schedule was already full, so I was a lil sad to miss it! AND THEN… My lovely ladies from Dark Mind Book Tours sent me a rush email saying a spot had opened last minute-for whatever reason, and I said HELL TO THE YEAH!!! And my quote of this book…

“Oh boy! Oh boy! Oh boy!!!” I mean, I was SOLD when the blurb said a girl would become a vampire and destroy all t
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 2 Mar 28, 2015 08:14AM
Fantasy and Vampi...: January 2013 Q&A Wynne Channing 4 24 Jan 14, 2013 05:49AM
Shut Up & Read: Win What Kills Me by Wynne Channing!!! 1 13 Jul 27, 2012 04:05AM
  • The Rise (The Alexa Montgomery Saga, #3)
  • Taste
  • ReVamped (Angel Creek, #1)
  • Reign of Blood (Reign of Blood, #1)
  • Sweet Blood of Mine (Overworld Chronicles, #1)
  • Touching Smoke (Touch, #1)
  • Semester Aboard (More than Magic, #1)
  • Sovereign Hope (Hope, #1)
  • The Savage Principle (#3)
  • Crossroads (Crossroads Academy, #1)
  • The Awakening (Project Eve, 1)
  • The Soul's Mark: FOUND (The Soul's Mark, #1)
  • Crest (Ondine Quartet, #3)
  • Resurrection (The Guardians of Vesturon, #2)
  • Bane (Vampire Apocalypse, #1)
  • The Secret Trinity: Unearth (Fae-Witch, #1)
Wynne Channing is an award-winning national newspaper reporter and young adult novelist.

She started writing horror/fantasy tales as a girl. She still has the first novel that she wrote when she was 10. It’s (unintentionally) hilarious.

Wynne loves telling stories and as a journalist, she has interviewed everyone from Daniel Radcliffe and Hugh Jackman to the president of the Maldives and Duchess Sar
More about Wynne Channing...

What Kills Me (2 books)
  • I Am Forever (What Kills Me, #2)

“I just thought vampires would look, you know, vicious while drinking blood," I said. "You look like you're in kindergarten with your juice pack.” 26 likes
“You talk too much."
"Maybe you talk too little."
"You're going to live forever. Pace yourself.”
21 likes