Start by marking “Dark Harbor (Stone Barrington, #12)” as Want to Read:
Dark Harbor (Stone Barrington, #12)

Dark Harbor (Stone Barrington #12)

3.90  ·  Rating Details  ·  5,298 Ratings  ·  236 Reviews
Stone Barrington investigates the secrets of a CIA officer's suicide in this next thriller in the bestselling series.

Published April 11th 2006 by Putnam Adult (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Harbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Harbor

Lori
Jul 19, 2007 Lori rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2007july
I'm almost -- but not quite -- embarrassed to admit I read Stuart Woods. If I could believe they were written with tongue as firmly in cheek as when I read them, I'd be OK with it. But I think the portions that make me laugh out loud were written with a straight face.

Alas, Stone Barrington isn't exactly a guilty pleasure. Just a silly one. (His name should tell you just about all you need to know about him. That and the fact that he sleeps with every woman he makes eye contact with.)

I often read
JBradford
My brother turned me onto Stuart Woods, although I had red one of his books before, and I generally grab every book of his I happen to find. His novels are an easy read with interesting characters, even if they do not have much depth to them, and I am intrigued by Woods’ ability to have pages of dialogue without the inane “he said,” “she said” accouterments, with the reader never being at a loss for who was saying what to whom. I cannot do this myself, so I have necessary respect for someone who ...more
Scott
Jun 27, 2011 Scott rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This is my second Stone Barrington novel by Stuart Woods. The plot was plain, generic, and formulaic. It reminded me a lot of TV detective shows. For those of you who are old enough, think of an episode of The Rockford Files. If you did not watch that, think of Magnum PI or Hunter. If that is too far back, think of Law and Order. If perhaps you haven't watched any of those shows, turn on the TV and watch an episode of Law and Order - it is on 24 hours a day on several cable channels.

For those of
Steve
Apr 08, 2016 Steve rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
4-6-2016 Still a favorite of mine!
12-30-2014 read it again in 18 hours while fighting pneumonia. still a favorite
by the way, OY is backwards for YO. just saying......
2-2014 just realized i read it 6 months ago. didn't remember that... either OY or too bad for me. It remains a 5 star for me. Love this story.
6-28-2013 Did re-read of the book. It remains a good read, even the second (or third time).I am also a sucker for marine venues.
11-1-11
I give this a 5 star simply because i enjoyed reading it.
Amy
Oct 22, 2012 Amy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I found some Stuart Woods novels at my parent's house when I had nothing to read, and thought "hey, why not?". Thus began my strange addiction to Stone Barrington novels. I want to say that Stuart Woods novels are terrible, because in a way, they are, and yet I keep coming back to them, and thoroughly enjoy every page of them. So, I guess I'm going to have to say that Stuart Woods novels are pretty great. Not deep. Not exceptionally well written. But damn entertaining.
Buscenter
Feb 11, 2008 Buscenter rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I picked up this book because of the cover. It was the first book that I read of his and it was great. I share my books with my mother and we have since read all of Stone Barrington novels.

Highly recommended
L
Jul 21, 2008 L rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-on-tape-cd
Slim pickings on the audio book shelves at the public library. We made it less than halfway through this one. No urge whatsoever to cheat & listen to the last few minutes. I don't give a crap who killed Dick Stone.
Michelle (meshe)
Synopsis: Stone Barrington investigates the secrets of a CIA officer's suicide in this next thriller in the bestselling series Stuart Woods's newest bestseller, Dark Harbor, brings us the perfect mix of sexy intrigue and swift suspense that have earned him legions of fans over the years. In this latest thriller, Stone enters the picturesque town Dark Harbor off the coast of Maine, where the shocking deaths of three people have cast a long shadow over this island haven-a locale as mysterious as i ...more
Paul
Dec 08, 2008 Paul rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took time to refresh my palate with this mystery. I'd seen this author's name, Stuart Woods, and a month or so ago I was in an out of town bookstore, waiting for my wife, and picked up a novel of his off the New Arrivals shelf. I had time to read a couple of chapters, and enjoyed it, so found an earlier book of his -- this book, Dark Harbor -- in the Bloomington library, in an audiobook.

I enjoyed it enough to read another book by Woods in the future, but not enough to send emails announcing t
Mandy
Sep 24, 2012 Mandy rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This was the first Stuart Woods book I had ever read, and I found it hugely disappointing. The characters were stiff, the dialogue was unnecessarily repetative, the plot improbable, and it was clear from close to the beginning whodunit.

That said, it was the author's 31st book, and my parents have owned several of his books (and I respect their opinions -- they wouldn't own so many if he was a dud, right?), and any author can have a bad day. So I went ahead and read one of his other books -- stil
Beverley Lombardi
good story but too much sex. I listened to.audio book and the reader is great.
Karen
Aug 01, 2014 Karen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
My dad enjoys action/adventure/mystery & has read some of Stuart Woods so I picked the audio up at the library. This is the first one of I have read/listened to. Although it is the 12th in a series of Stone Barrington novels it didn't seem to matter. I was excited that it takes place in Islesboro, Maine but was disappointed it could have taken place on any island on the East Coast. Stone's cousin, Dick, a CIA officer, his wife & daughter are found dead. Stone finds he is the executor of ...more
Barbara Loggia
Jun 07, 2014 Barbara Loggia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Like this author so liked this mystery of one of his repeat detectives who must find the killer of his own cousin's family. He gets the house, the servants and a good mystery to solve. Even when I knew who done it, the book was a fun read to the end.
Natka
Sep 03, 2008 Natka rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I found this book very difficult to enjoy. It was poorly written, characters undeveloped and unattractive. It had a potential of becoming an interesting and exciting novel, but appeared to have been written by an author, who stopped enjoying writing.
Andrea
Jan 08, 2014 Andrea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I don't think this was one of Stuart's better books.
Ed
Jul 21, 2015 Ed rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: legal, adventure, action
#12 in the Stone Barrington series. Stone Barrington is a NYC lawyer acting as a troubleshooter for a white shoe firm. An ex-NY cop, wounded and retired, his partner was Dino Bachetti. Holly Barker is a retired Army Major who took over the job as police chief in Orchid Beach, FL after the death of her father and eventually had successively responsible jobs in the CIA.

Stone Barrington receives his CIA agent cousin's will and the following day learns his cousin and family have been murdered. Stone
John Koshak
Nancy
Stone Barrington and Holly Barker, Woods' busiest heroes, pair up again, this yarn finding Stone traveling to Dark Harbor, Maine, after his cousin, Dick Stone, and his family are found murdered at their house. The local police think it was a murder-suicide, but when Stone learns from his CIA contact, Lance Cabot, that Dick was working covertly for the CIA and had just received a big promotion, Stone decides to look into matters himself. Accompanied by Lance, Holly, and Dino Bacchetti, his truste ...more
Emily Mack
Exactly as bad as I hoped it would be.
Kara Jorges
Detective Stone Barrington is called to the tiny island of Islesboro off the coast of Maine when Dick Stone, a cousin he hasn’t seen since his youth, is found dead in his home, along with his wife and daughter, who were also murdered. At first, the police think it’s a murder-suicide, but Stone’s investigation proves otherwise. Someone broke into Dick Stone’s island home and murdered him and his family, but why? Stone moves into the Islesboro house his cousin left him in the will and proceeds to ...more
Genie
Aug 10, 2008 Genie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stone Barrington hasn't heard from his cousin, Dick Stone, in over eight years. One summer evening as he is enjoying dinner at Elaine's, his good friend Lance Cabot breaks some very bad news to him. Seems Dick Stone has been found dead and local law enforcement believes it was self inflicted after he shot and killed his wife and daughter. Stone finds this difficult to believe of his cousin who was a quiet family man who doubled as a CIA agent. Even stranger is the news that his cousin had made ...more
Pam
Oct 12, 2015 Pam rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a nice, light easy read. I enjoy Stuart Woods' short chapters and suspense that keeps the reader engaged. An extra plus was that this was a Stone Barrington novel. Stone, Dino and assorted lady friends are among my favorite fictional characters. We are introduced to some of Stone's family. They play a major part in the intrigue as Stone travels to Maine to solve murders in this quaint island town.
Linnea
May 14, 2016 Linnea rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Culture: 65 year old, white, Protestant, male from the east coast who thinks he is worldly but really is a good old boy. The suspense and deducing of plot was fun and light, but the main character was so culturally biased, I had a hard time liking him, so read the book in spite of that. Decided that I would look at culture like an anthropology visit.
Oliver Schnusenberg
Another fast read by Stuart Woods for me. One thing I really like about his books is that all the acteurs get things done fast, alost as if living in a utopian world where everyone does their job correctly. It is very unusual in any of Woods' books to find someone like the Nantucket cop in this novel who actually makes mistakes. It would be nice if we all lived in a world like this!

I don't want to give too much away, but please stop reading if you haven't read the book yet. In this specific book
George
Jan 08, 2016 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
Fast, quick, entertaining read for the predictable Stone Barrington. The audiobooks just keep coming, like Stone Barrington's murders, and of course, Stone himself. The murder mystery is quite intriguing as is the cooperation between cop agencies with a private dude from NYC ;-) Nevertheless, I'm looking for Stone Barrington #13 next month
Fredrick Danysh
Stone Barrington is at dinner at his favorite eatery when he receives news of his cousin's death. Apparently the man killed his family and then himself. With his ex-partner Dino from the police force and his friend Holly, Stone investigates the death of his cousin who was a CIA agent. Warning: There is explicit sex but the story is good.
Ada Iaboni
My first book by Stuart Woods. This one is several books in of a series of these characters. From this book, I could not really relate or even like and care about the characters that much. It was a quick and easy read but I found myself wondering.... It's a good beach book... not too complicated and not too deep that keeps you from enjoying the beach.
Lori Robinett
I generally like Stone Barrington books, but this one fell flat for me. It just didn't grab me, didn't feel like the fun escape his books usually are. I think it was the setting - I wanted to be in New York where we could eat at Elaine's and deal with Dino's in-laws. Holly Barker, who I used to like, made me want to gag. She was a useless booty call. To be completely honest, though, part of the Holly problem was the narrator. Men rarely do women voices well. The CIA angle wasn't exploited - that ...more
Judy-Sug
Aug 12, 2014 Judy-Sug rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Stone Barrington, lawyer and ex cop, is contacted by a long lost cousin with papers to open upon his death. Lo and behold, the cousin dies along with his wife and daughter and he must now go and unravel who did it. This is my second book on tape for my long drives and it was most enjoyable.
Holly Gravel
C+ Stone Barrington’s CIA cousin is killed and leaves him his home on an island in Dark Harbor, ME. Other murders occur and Dino, Holly Barker, and Lance Cabot help solve the case. His cousin’s psycho twin sons are responsible for 7 deaths. Very trite writing.
  • The Undertaker's Widow
  • Deep Blue (Doc Ford, #23)
  • Death Stalks Door County (Dave Cubiak, #1)
  • Bantam of the Opera (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #5)
  • Ghost Medicine (Ella Clah, #17)
  • Jack Daniels Stories
  • Trial by Fire (Ali Reynolds, #5)
  • Harm's Way (Alan Gregory, #4)
  • Dead Secret (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation, #3)
  • Suspicion of Innocence (Gail Connor and Anthony Quintana #1)
  • Now & Then (Spenser, #35)
  • Past Imperfect (Sigrid Harald, #7)
  • A Bloodhound To Die For
  • Valhalla (Lexy Vaughan & Steven Macaulay #1)
  • Winter And Night (Lydia Chin & Bill Smith, #8)
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...

Stone Barrington (1 - 10 of 40 books)
  • New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1)
  • Dirt (Stone Barrington, #2)
  • Dead in the Water (Stone Barrington, #3)
  • Swimming To Catalina (Stone Barrington, #4)
  • Worst Fears Realized (Stone Barrington, #5)
  • L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6)
  • Cold Paradise (Stone Barrington, #7)
  • The Short Forever (Stone Barrington, #8)
  • Dirty Work (Stone Barrington, #9)
  • Reckless Abandon (Stone Barrington, #10 Holly Barker #4)