Start by marking “Dark Harbor (Stone Barrington, #12)” as Want to Read:
Dark Harbor (Stone Barrington, #12)

Dark Harbor (Stone Barrington #12)

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  4,358 ratings  ·  197 reviews
Stone Barrington investigates the secrets of a CIA officer's suicide in this next thriller in the bestselling series.

Published April 11th 2006 by Putnam Adult (first published April 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Dark Harbor, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dark Harbor

Lori
I'm almost -- but not quite -- embarrassed to admit I read Stuart Woods. If I could believe they were written with tongue as firmly in cheek as when I read them, I'd be OK with it. But I think the portions that make me laugh out loud were written with a straight face.

Alas, Stone Barrington isn't exactly a guilty pleasure. Just a silly one. (His name should tell you just about all you need to know about him. That and the fact that he sleeps with every woman he makes eye contact with.)

I often read
Scott
This is my second Stone Barrington novel by Stuart Woods. The plot was plain, generic, and formulaic. It reminded me a lot of TV detective shows. For those of you who are old enough, think of an episode of The Rockford Files. If you did not watch that, think of Magnum PI or Hunter. If that is too far back, think of Law and Order. If perhaps you haven't watched any of those shows, turn on the TV and watch an episode of Law and Order - it is on 24 hours a day on several cable channels.

For those of
JBradford
My brother turned me onto Stuart Woods, although I had red one of his books before, and I generally grab every book of his I happen to find. His novels are an easy read with interesting characters, even if they do not have much depth to them, and I am intrigued by Woods’ ability to have pages of dialogue without the inane “he said,” “she said” accouterments, with the reader never being at a loss for who was saying what to whom. I cannot do this myself, so I have necessary respect for someone who ...more
Buscenter
I picked up this book because of the cover. It was the first book that I read of his and it was great. I share my books with my mother and we have since read all of Stone Barrington novels.

Highly recommended
L
Slim pickings on the audio book shelves at the public library. We made it less than halfway through this one. No urge whatsoever to cheat & listen to the last few minutes. I don't give a crap who killed Dick Stone.
Steve
2-2014 just realized i read it 6 months ago. didn't remember that... either OY or too bad for me. It remains a 5 star for me. Love this story.

6-28-2013 Did re-read of the book. It remains a good read, even the second (or third time).I am also a sucker for marine venues.

11-1-11
I give this a 5 star simply because i enjoyed reading it.
Again, I thought i'd already read it but its not in Goodreads.
I just read some fellow reader comments.
Even the 2 stars, I must agree but with a spin that there is a s
Michelle (meshe)
Synopsis: Stone Barrington investigates the secrets of a CIA officer's suicide in this next thriller in the bestselling series Stuart Woods's newest bestseller, Dark Harbor, brings us the perfect mix of sexy intrigue and swift suspense that have earned him legions of fans over the years. In this latest thriller, Stone enters the picturesque town Dark Harbor off the coast of Maine, where the shocking deaths of three people have cast a long shadow over this island haven-a locale as mysterious as i ...more
Amy
I found some Stuart Woods novels at my parent's house when I had nothing to read, and thought "hey, why not?". Thus began my strange addiction to Stone Barrington novels. I want to say that Stuart Woods novels are terrible, because in a way, they are, and yet I keep coming back to them, and thoroughly enjoy every page of them. So, I guess I'm going to have to say that Stuart Woods novels are pretty great. Not deep. Not exceptionally well written. But damn entertaining.
Karen
My dad enjoys action/adventure/mystery & has read some of Stuart Woods so I picked the audio up at the library. This is the first one of I have read/listened to. Although it is the 12th in a series of Stone Barrington novels it didn't seem to matter. I was excited that it takes place in Islesboro, Maine but was disappointed it could have taken place on any island on the East Coast. Stone's cousin, Dick, a CIA officer, his wife & daughter are found dead. Stone finds he is the executor of ...more
Andrea
I don't think this was one of Stuart's better books.
Kara Jorges
Detective Stone Barrington is called to the tiny island of Islesboro off the coast of Maine when Dick Stone, a cousin he hasn’t seen since his youth, is found dead in his home, along with his wife and daughter, who were also murdered. At first, the police think it’s a murder-suicide, but Stone’s investigation proves otherwise. Someone broke into Dick Stone’s island home and murdered him and his family, but why? Stone moves into the Islesboro house his cousin left him in the will and proceeds to ...more
Genie
Stone Barrington hasn't heard from his cousin, Dick Stone, in over eight years. One summer evening as he is enjoying dinner at Elaine's, his good friend Lance Cabot breaks some very bad news to him. Seems Dick Stone has been found dead and local law enforcement believes it was self inflicted after he shot and killed his wife and daughter. Stone finds this difficult to believe of his cousin who was a quiet family man who doubled as a CIA agent. Even stranger is the news that his cousin had made ...more
Oliver Schnusenberg
Another fast read by Stuart Woods for me. One thing I really like about his books is that all the acteurs get things done fast, alost as if living in a utopian world where everyone does their job correctly. It is very unusual in any of Woods' books to find someone like the Nantucket cop in this novel who actually makes mistakes. It would be nice if we all lived in a world like this!

I don't want to give too much away, but please stop reading if you haven't read the book yet. In this specific book
Fredrick Danysh
Stone Barrington is at dinner at his favorite eatery when he receives news of his cousin's death. Apparently the man killed his family and then himself. With his ex-partner Dino from the police force and his friend Holly, Stone investigates the death of his cousin who was a CIA agent. Warning: There is explicit sex but the story is good.
Ada Iaboni
My first book by Stuart Woods. This one is several books in of a series of these characters. From this book, I could not really relate or even like and care about the characters that much. It was a quick and easy read but I found myself wondering.... It's a good beach book... not too complicated and not too deep that keeps you from enjoying the beach.
Judy-Sug
Stone Barrington, lawyer and ex cop, is contacted by a long lost cousin with papers to open upon his death. Lo and behold, the cousin dies along with his wife and daughter and he must now go and unravel who did it. This is my second book on tape for my long drives and it was most enjoyable.
Barbara Loggia
Like this author so liked this mystery of one of his repeat detectives who must find the killer of his own cousin's family. He gets the house, the servants and a good mystery to solve. Even when I knew who done it, the book was a fun read to the end.
Marca
Stone Barrington’s cousin Dick, a CIA officer, appears to have killed himself and his family. Stone finds himself the executor of Dick’s estate, instead of Dick’s somewhat estranged brother. After a few more bodies pile up around Dark Harbor, Stone questions whether Dick really killed himself and his family. Stone also wonders Dick’s CIA post has anything to do with the deaths, or is the killer closer to home? Good read. Will read more Stuart Woods and Stone Barrington.
Pat Fahrenthold
Stone Barrington solves a series of murders on an island off the coast of Maine. Characters from previous books show up in this story and there is lots of flying around in private airplanes.
Paul
I took time to refresh my palate with this mystery. I'd seen this author's name, Stuart Woods, and a month or so ago I was in an out of town bookstore, waiting for my wife, and picked up a novel of his off the New Arrivals shelf. I had time to read a couple of chapters, and enjoyed it, so found an earlier book of his -- this book, Dark Harbor -- in the Bloomington library, in an audiobook.

I enjoyed it enough to read another book by Woods in the future, but not enough to send emails announcing t
Harry Lane
Another Stone Barrington tale, this one with the added attraction of Holly Barker. Fast-paced action, reasonably believable plot right up to the climax ( which was a bit far-fetched.)
Stone's cousin is killed leaving Stone a house on the water in Maine. Stone must uncover who did it. Fairly obvious who did it about half way through the book.
Good read anyway.
Eileen
Great thriller with lots of suspense and wonder. It keeps you guessing up to the end as to who done it and more. Love the style he writes in, very easy to follow. Great page turner. Will be reading more of his books.
K
Feb 15, 2008 K marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Scott Finn, rising star at a Boston law firm, has worked hard to pull himself out of the Charlestown projects. When the body of his co-worker and old flame, Natalie Caldwell, floats to the surface of Boston Harbor, Finn is grief stricken. But almost immediately, he's tapped by the firm to replace her in the defense of a high-profile client. As he retraces Natalie's footsteps, Finn begins to unravel the awful mystery of her murder. But police lieutenant Linda Flaherty is also hot on the trail. Wh ...more
Laurel Wright
Enjoyable audiobook. I have just started reading or rather listening to these and have enjoyed the characters very much.
Phyllis
This installment in the Stone Barrington series was as usual. It was an okay story, but not that hard to figure out. I do not love this series, but I am at a place in my life where I need something easy to read to take my mind off my life. This fills the bill, plus I don't have to think of what to read next because I just pick up the next in the series.

All in all, I like the characters in these books, I like Stone, even though he sleeps with every woman he meets, he thinks he's cool, but he some
Joe White
Typical Stone Barrington book. You have to be wealthy to relate to the lifestyle and circle of influence he runs in. I think that this is the biggest departure from reality that this series of books has. The character closed circle set on Islesboro got somewhat tedious. Somehow I don't think most communities are loaded with millionaires and ex-CIA types. The intrigue level did increase tempo to the very end, and there were no super-hero actions to save the day, so the action plot is in line with ...more
Howard Brittain
I enjoyed this episode very much. A very strong plot and satisfyingly told.
Marti
I thought that this was a little better than some of the other Stone Barringtons I have read. Maybe it helps to get away from the usual background. This was written in 2006, and now Elaine, the hostess and presumably owner of Elaine's in NYC is no more more. This concerns his inheriting a house in Maine, after the presumed suicide of a cousin. Naturally, it turns out that it was murder instead, which is followed by several other ones. Luckily, Dino and Holly Barker are around to help. Nicely han ...more
Mandy
This was the first Stuart Woods book I had ever read, and I found it hugely disappointing. The characters were stiff, the dialogue was unnecessarily repetative, the plot improbable, and it was clear from close to the beginning whodunit.

That said, it was the author's 31st book, and my parents have owned several of his books (and I respect their opinions -- they wouldn't own so many if he was a dud, right?), and any author can have a bad day. So I went ahead and read one of his other books -- stil
  • The Undertaker's Widow
  • Dead Hunt (Diane Fallon Forensic Investigation #5)
  • Guardian of Lies (Paul Madriani, #10)
  • Dead Wrong (Joanna Brady, #12)
  • McNally's Dare
  • Running from the Law
  • Hundred-Dollar Baby (Spenser, #34)
  • Higher Authority (Alan Gregory, #3)
  • Dead Watch
  • Jack Daniels Stories
  • Worst Case (Michael Bennett, #3)
  • Twisted (Petra Connor, #2)
  • Dune to Death (Bed-and-Breakfast Mysteries, #4)
  • Killer Instinct
Stuart Woods is the author the New York Times-bestselling Stone Barrington series and Holly Barker series. He is an avid private pilot, flying his own jet on book tours. You may see his tour schedule and learn more about the author on his website.

More about Stuart Woods...
New York Dead (Stone Barrington, #1) Blood Orchid (Holly Barker #3) Orchid Beach (Holly Barker, #1) L.A. Dead (Stone Barrington, #6) Lucid Intervals (Stone Barrington, #18)