Start by marking “Garfield Weighs In (Garfield, #4)” as Want to Read:
Garfield Weighs In (Garfield, #4)

Garfield Weighs In (Garfield #4)

4.21  ·  Rating Details ·  1,819 Ratings  ·  51 Reviews
The fourth book about America's sassiest, grouchiest, funniest, and chubbiest cat. Garfield ranks first in his weight class, celebrates his second birthday, falls in love, and loses a stripe!
Published August 27th 1999 by Ballantine Books (first published 1982)

Stephen
3.5 stars. Book four in the excellent Garfield series. I don't want to give away any spoilers here but in this collection, Garfield does not slim down, he does not befriend Odie or Nermal, does not resolve to be nicer to Jim and does not join a gym.
Kaethe
Sep 08, 2011 Kaethe rated it liked it
library copy
Conan Tigard
Nov 17, 2015 Conan Tigard rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Garfield Weighs In is only the fourth book of Garfield comics. The book is packed with that crazy cat doing "mean things" to both Jon and Odie. Come on, you must admit that Garfield isn't a very nice cat. He is always smacking Jon around, shredding the furniture, kicking the dog, and rarely in a good mood. Makes you just want to go out and get a cat, doesn't it. On the other hand, he can occasionally be loving . . . but that is usually just him loving himself. Okay, can you tell that I like dogs ...more
Mark Austin
Jan 21, 2015 Mark Austin rated it it was ok
★ - Most books with this rating I never finish and so don't make this list. This one I probably started speed-reading to get it over with.
★★ - Average. Wasn't terrible, but not a lot to recommend it. Probably skimmed parts of it.
★★★ - Decent. A few good ideas, well-written passages, interesting characters, or the like.
★★★★ - Good. This one had parts that inspired me, impressed me, made me laugh out loud, made me think - it got positive reactions and most of the rest of it was pretty decent too.
Kenny
Mar 22, 2011 Kenny rated it really liked it
Who doesn't like Garfield. That fat trouble maker, with is dry sense of humor. I don't think I've read a Garfield comic with just laughing a little. I wonder how many Garfield comics he has made in all? Garfield looks have changed over the years, but he always kept that fatness about him.

Garfield should always get at least a four star rating. Jim Davis can get to a punchline in 2 or 3 panels. Sometimes its not really what the people are saying in the text boxes but its the pictures and vice vers
Kaylah Hassard
Jun 03, 2015 Kaylah Hassard rated it it was ok
Shelves: books-1-12
Summary:
Most everybody knows the story of Garfield. He is a silly cat who is horribly mean to his owner and dog friend Odie. And yet for some reason we still find ourselves holding a little place in our heart for him. Garfield is a character in this graphic novel, that goes through many hardships, like waking up on Mondays, trying to decide what to eat, and how to entertain his master. Garfield is a fat orange cat that likes to make mischief in his life and entertainment for us to read.

Warnings:
Katsumi
Jul 07, 2012 Katsumi rated it really liked it
Shelves: comics
I think it is obvious that I love Garfield the cat. For a dog person such as myself, Garfield is the one cat that I would love to own (or maybe not).
I love it when Garfield mugs a girl scout for her cookies. Only Garfield would do something as silly as mugging a girl scout. Another classic moment in the book is when Jon attempts to train Garfield to be an attack cat but fails miserably. And of course there is the visit to Dr. Liz's office and the constant putdowns Jon gets from Liz. Garfield ne
HeavyReader
Dec 04, 2011 HeavyReader rated it liked it
I loved Garfield when I was in middle school. I had several of these collections, and I read them all again and again.

I'm giving three stars based on the way I felt about the book when I read it the first time (or should I say the first 10 to 15 times?). Now I can't imagine reading any one of these books one time.

I can barely believe how many of these collections exist.
Tanner
Feb 13, 2014 Tanner rated it it was amazing
This book is about a lazy fat cat named Garfield. Garfield loves lasagna and making John go cazy. John is a guy looking for love. Garfield loves to hurt Oldie. Oldie is a dog with yellow fur with black spots. Garfield loves watching TV on his chair. Garfield is super over weight and John really wants his to go on a diet. He went a diet though a straw and apples.
Jack23
Oct 11, 2010 Jack23 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 1st-term-reading
Garfeild weighs in is a great book about a very overweight cat that hates mondays and loves lasagna. Garfeilds owner John is a lonely man who has crazy ugly suites. Every monday when Garfeild gets up something bad happens to him, example a pie hits him in the face or he physicly cant get out of bed.
Cassandra Lindquist
Mar 12, 2016 Cassandra Lindquist rated it really liked it
Garfield has always been a favorite character of mine growing up. We always had cats so I think that made me enjoy it even more. I think he is very funny and I love how when I was younger they made a movie about his experiences. I think this is great and I like the illustrations!
Katiem
Jan 02, 2014 Katiem rated it it was ok
Unlike "Garfield at Large" I didn't read this book as a child, therefor the nostalgia wasn't there for me and I didn't find it nearly as humorous. I do like Nermal though. Don't really get the Garfield hype (of days of yore, no one talks about Garfield anymore).
Kellie
May 17, 2011 Kellie rated it it was amazing
Shelves: humor-comics
Garfield is my favorite fat cat -- We even share lasagna as a favorite food, think diets are Die with a t at the end, hate Mondays and Mornings - Garfield got me through my struggles with learning to read as a kid and I still read him everyday. For a time I even had a female Garfield share my life.
Matt Keefe
Jun 08, 2016 Matt Keefe rated it it was amazing
I have read Garfield comics countless times and they never get old. It is a perfect thing to read when you are bored and have nothing to do. Out of all American comics, I think that Garfield is probably the best. I would recommend it to anyone, regardless of age.
Nuala
Nov 17, 2012 Kedar Sant rated it it was amazing
It is wonderful
Jasper
Feb 24, 2016 Jasper added it
There are different subjects to the comic strips like the christmas ones or the TV ones and when Garfield Weighs in it was sooooooo funny
Stacey Schmidt
Gotta love "National Fat Week"!
Benjamin Plume
Jul 30, 2011 Benjamin Plume rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: comics
scale jokes never get old because they started that way.
colleen
Dec 17, 2007 colleen rated it liked it
read 05.19.90
Jessica
Nov 06, 2008 Jessica rated it it was amazing
Shelves: comics
Another fun to read Garfield book.
emily saltzman
Mar 18, 2016 emily saltzman rated it it was amazing
How can I read this book!??
Jeff Tapia
Oct 07, 2015 Jeff Tapia rated it it was amazing
this book is cool and delicious
Nov 29, 2016 500711 marked it as to-read
i did not read this books i though we get to read it in here so i was wrong sigh*
  • Come Closer, Roger, There's a Mosquito on Your Nose
  • A Charlie Brown Thanksgiving
  • I Want to Be the Kitty: MUTTS 8
  • Night of the Crash-Test Dummies
  • Baby Blues 03: Guess Who Didn't Take A Nap?
  • Busted! (Zits Sketchbook, #6)
  • It's All Downhill From Here (For Better or For Worse, #7)
James Robert "Jim" Davis is an American cartoonist who created the popular comic strip Garfield. Other comics that he has worked on are Tumbleweeds, Gnorm Gnat, Slapstick, and a strip about Mr. Potato Head.

Jim Davis was born in Fairmount, Indiana, near Marion, where he grew up on a small farm with his father James William Davis, mother Anna Catherine (Carter) Davis, brother Dave, and 25 cats. Davi
More about Jim Davis...

Garfield (1 - 10 of 67 books)
  • Garfield at Large: His First Book (Garfield, #1)
  • Garfield Gains Weight (Garfield, #2)
  • Garfield Bigger Than Life (Garfield #3)
  • Garfield Takes the Cake (Garfield #5)
  • Garfield Eats His Heart Out (Garfield Classics #6)
  • Garfield Sits around the House (Garfield, #7)
  • Garfield Tips the Scales (Garfield, #8)
  • Garfield Loses His Feet (Garfield Classics #9)
  • Garfield Makes It Big (Garfield, #10)
  • Garfield Rolls On (Garfield Classics, #11)