Start by marking “Miracles Happen: The Life and Timeless Principles of the Founder of Mary Kay Inc.” as Want to Read:

3.97  ·  Rating Details  ·  731 Ratings  ·  106 Reviews
Mary Kay Ash, one of America's most dynamic businesswomen, lived her life with simple and timeless principles. Through her uncomplicated formula for success -- God first, family second and career third -- she achieved her dream.She inspired. She motivated. She cared. Mary Kay often said that if you expect great things, great things will happen. So expect results. Expect su ...more
Published September 16th 2003 by Quill (first published 1981)

Tina
Jun 22, 2010 Tina rated it it was ok
Returning from a Mary Kay career conference, I determined to read Mary Kay's autobiography. She's not a writer, but many of her philosophies on life and business are insightful. I found myself quoting her to people more than I wanted to while I was reading the book. Regardless of what one thinks of Mary Kay Ash, you can't deny that she has a remarkable personal story and built a billion dollar company from scratch. Perhaps she knew a little of what she was doing?!
Antoinette
Aug 05, 2009 Antoinette rated it it was ok
Recommends it for: Mary Kay Ash fans, old fashioned people, self help enthusiasts
Let me just say that it is incredibly difficult for me to pass up a bargain. So, when I found this gem of an autobiography in a 25 cent bin, I was helpless to stop myself. Settling in with some tea and a blanket, I prepared myself for a huge dose of propaganda. What I found was actually a sensitive, complete, inspirational autobiography of an amazing woman. Though there were a few irritatingly shallow parts, I walked away feeling positive about my purchase.

Ok...I get that Mary Kay Ash is all abo
Sharon
Jan 12, 2009 Sharon rated it really liked it
This is more autobiographical than how-to. It clarified misinformation I had supposed was true about her, but wasn't. Interesting life story, not the least of which is the coincidence that the company from which she retired in 1960s, before she started MK Cosmetics, had its headquarters in my MA town! She offers a compassion and respect for body image starkly missing in mainstream media. She passed away 8 years ago after a long and passionate family, business, community and church-filled life.
Herb
This is a good "personal" manual on how to build a successful business and how to run it with a strong sense of morality and ethics. I think I would have liked Mary Kay Ash as a person, and you don't have to be interested in the cosmetics industry to enjoy this good story.
Kristi
May 11, 2012 Kristi rated it really liked it
I have a new hero! I absolutely loved this book. I am not a big fan of Mary Kay Cosmetics products, but I am now a big fan of Mary Kay Ash. What an inspirational woman. I found myself energized and motivated after reading this book. I’ve adopted her motto of God first, Family second, Career third. I feel like she truly lived by that creed and ended up successful in every aspect of her life and kept things in proper balance. I loved her no nonsense approach to competition and hard work. I loved h ...more
Kat
Apr 10, 2008 Kat rated it really liked it
I don't read a lot of biographies. A person has to be REALLY interesting for me to even think about picking up a bio. When I first became a Mary Kay consultant, my director insisted I read this book to pick up the philosophy of the company and find out something about its "founding mother." Never one to turn down something to read, I picked it up and began to read. Rarely have I been so moved by a person's life story. This woman was a business pioneer unlike any other; she took huge risks and re ...more
Meg
Dec 13, 2015 Meg rated it it was amazing
This is still one of the most influential books on my professional life I can point to.

I picked this book up many years ago at a college book nook sale for probably less than a dollar. While it isn't similar to my life, Mary Kay was from Texas, baptist, divorced, with several children, the way she saw work ethic and enthusiasm has been a bench mark of my career.

I almost don't know where to start. Often before business meetings I will practice smiling or picture myself jumping up and down similar
Laura Radniecki
Feb 02, 2015 Laura Radniecki rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2015
I enjoy reading business books and while I haven't read a lot of memoirs or autobiographies, I want to read more of them. That's why this book intrigued me.

The book was originally written in 1981 so there are a lot of parts where either the statistics have changed or times have changed. I had to remember the timeframe, and know that things were different then - for example, when she said Mary Kay consultants never wear pants. They always wear dresses or skirts. I understand her reasoning for tha
Aaron
Jun 26, 2014 Aaron rated it it was ok
2.5. Well, there you go. I read this for my book club as one of our "Dare Reads". And I turned it into a "every day that I feel too haggard to read or focus, I'll hit this book" read. Says a lot about my mental state most days. Also good for when I was taking my Melatonin.

Anyway, I was sort of surprised. I couldn't help but admire what Mary Kay did and what her project meant to so many women in the mid 20th century onward. Better yet was the more proto-feminist viewpoint this book had. Mary Kay
Deb
Feb 04, 2010 Deb rated it really liked it
I read this book when I started my Mary Kay business a few years ago. Mary Kay Ash was an amazing woman. I no longer sell Mary Kay but I value everything I've learned from my time as a consultant and the life lessons Mary Kay's story taught me.
Liz
May 18, 2014 Liz rated it it was ok
So I basically read this book out of necessity since it came in my Mary Kay consultant starter kit and I felt a responsibility to read it.

Obviously Mary Kay wasn't a writer, and it does show in her little book. There were parts I did enjoy and some good ideas and snippets here or there. I did find myself pushing to get through it, which is why I had to downgrade it from a 3 to a 2.

Plus I know if I didn't get it for free and wasn't working for the company I probably wouldn't have read it.

It was
Nancy
Jul 05, 2012 Nancy rated it really liked it
amazing lady. a complete inspiration of hard work and faith.
Yoonmee
Jan 23, 2011 Yoonmee rated it it was ok
Shelves: memoir, texas
I initially picked up this book because I'm new to Texas and wanted to read about a Texas legend. Well, let's just say that Mary Kay is a most certainly a hoot in every sense of the word. I'm torn between giving this 2 and 3 stars. While reading it, I had to set aside my more feminist-y ideas and just accept Mary Kay for who she is -- she's from a completely different generation than I am and, hey, she's a Southern lady who believes one of the things women need to succeed in life is lipstick.

She
Bethany Clark
Aug 27, 2014 Bethany Clark rated it it was amazing
Being a new Mary Kay consultant, this was a must read for me. I wanted to learn as much as I could about our founder and the principles of our company.
Mary Kay was a simple woman with a great dream, to help woman make better lives for themselves.
She believed that we should always live our lives in this order - God First , Family Second and Career Third.
She inspires so many even to this day - she was extremely motivated, very caring, and believed if you put your mind to something anything can
Janel
Jan 11, 2011 Janel rated it it was ok
This book was originally written in 1981 and reprinted two more times after that. Because of that fact, it was hard to really appreciate the statistics referenced because of how old they were. I felt like the book read more like a self help book than a memoir. I'm not a big makeup person and therefore had a hard time relating to Mary Kay. I do admire her drive, ambition and leadership. I think if I would have read this book at a different time in my career, I could have applied some of her tips ...more
Christopher
Feb 10, 2016 Christopher rated it it was ok
You have to read it charitably, and if you do, it’s a decent (if scatterbrained) mix of autobiography, history, and advice. My advice: if you’re married to a Mary Kay consultant, or otherwise invested in the company, read it. It will really help you understand why the business operates the way it does. Mary Kay really was a remarkable woman and this details her life and business story in an illuminating way.
Trina
Aug 07, 2014 Trina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Behind the southern charm is a women with a far reaching vision and the drive and determination to take it there and beyond. This is full of personal insights and business philosophies that several companies have and should covet. I like the simple manner in which the book is written with enough factual data to keep it moving. I am glad I read this.
Regina
Sep 12, 2012 Regina rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting autobiography by the founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics. This book is quite outdated - Mary Kay Ash died in 2001. Also, some of her ideas - such as constantly talking about God, and saying that a woman should always "fix herself up" by doing her hair, makeup, and wearing a dress, even if she wasn't planning to leave the house - didn't jive with me. Then again, she did run a makeup company. Those things aside, there is no question that Mary Kay was an intelligent, driven entrepreneur, ...more
Dana Peebles
Jun 05, 2014 Dana Peebles rated it it was amazing
God first, Family second, Career third is one of the many nuggets of truth and inspiration found in this biography. Motivating and reassuring to how we are called to live by the golden rule, and what we send into the lives of others comes back 10-fold.
Eliza Beth
Aug 23, 2015 Eliza Beth rated it did not like it
Not even going to finish.
Not what I expected at all.
I was hoping for more an inspiring, strong female in business, theme...not a poor me raising my kids as a single mom in sales, thank you Jesus, and Jesus and Jesus and make-up.
Bleh!
Minzi
May 29, 2012 Minzi rated it really liked it
This was a great book. I think you can really tell that Mary Kay handled her life ' Like a Boss'. Some of her ideals are outdated - like women don't wear pants - and how to please 'your man' kind of stuff. But overall for business acumen and how to never ever give up - she's the one. I wonder if having that business set up the way it is,' pyramid style ' with out people being able to access products with out going through a dealer will serve them well through time.. but I guess it has so far. I ...more
Melody Kneezel
May 19, 2015 Melody Kneezel rated it it was amazing
This was a really inspiring read for anyone, whether you are becoming a Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultant or not. Mary Kay was truly a phenomenal woman, and she was obviously successful. I look forward to adapting many of her ideals and themes in my own life as practical guides for success.
Erica
May 19, 2016 Erica rated it really liked it
Mary Kay Ash was a very interesting woman. She details her success and gives pointers to future Mary Kay Independent Beauty Consultants. It's a nice read for anyone planning to enter the direct marketing business world.
Erin
Aug 26, 2013 Erin rated it it was amazing
I received this book from Mary Kay Inc in my starter kit and since I'm the type of person who wants to know everything, I started reading. Mary Kay Ash has a way of motivating you while telling of a harder time in American history. Her stories are wonderful, and very personal. This inspired me in a cheesy "I can do it all" kind of way. Mary Kay was born at a different time and struggled because she was woman. Because of this, she was inspired to create a new business to help other women. The mod ...more
Micheala
Feb 27, 2016 Micheala rated it liked it
this book was very difficult to read. not because I couldn't understand it but because I've just never been into these types of reads. but I promised a Mary Kay consultant that I would read it and give her a review. honestly I think I should be taking notes of where my favorite parts are so I can tell her what I learned from the book. its not a bad read its just very detailed and a lot of things are repetitive.
Melissa
Jul 17, 2016 Melissa rated it liked it
While the writing is sometimes redundant, and the language usage a little narrow, I absolutely love her outlook on life. Her motivations and constant optimism is certainly inspiring. I would recommend this book to a friend.
Kathy Mertens
Apr 02, 2014 Kathy Mertens rated it really liked it
I used to laugh about Mary Kay and the whole concept of her beauty business. well i decided for some strange reason to sign on with Mary Kay as a conaultanr. Book came in my starter kit. just let me say this woman was truly amazing. hard worker, provider for her family and foremost a woman who puts God first in all she does and treats people with dignity love and concern. Have now added Mary Kay as one of my female role models.
Jasonkcraig
Jun 18, 2015 Jasonkcraig rated it it was amazing
Mary Kay's principles of life, business and family embody and embolden the American woman. I thoroughly enjoyed her wisdom, anecdotes, and insights into living my life the way God wants a woman to.
Jaylene
Feb 19, 2015 Jaylene rated it really liked it
She had some good time and money management tips, and it was interesting, but only for a select audience.
Myla
Nov 07, 2011 Myla rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this. I just signed up to be a Beauty Consultant with Mary Kay Cosmetics, and this book came with my startup stuff. It really is amazing to me that with all the challenges she faced, that she's not bitter. She simply turned her yucky experiences into good ones for others. I now have an idea of why Mary Kay people are so supportive, and why they follow the Golden Rule so well. The more I learn about this company, the more I'm glad I am part of it. No glass ceilings, compete again ...more
  • Stormie: A Story of Forgiveness and Healing
  • Woman to Woman: Candid Conversations from Me to You
  • Mosaic: Pieces of My Life So Far
  • Laura Bush: An Intimate Portrait of the First Lady
  • Gender
  • Unsettling the Settler Within: Indian Residential Schools, Truth Telling, and Reconciliation in Canada
  • The Gift for All People
  • The Tulip and the Pope
  • Dancing on Our Turtle's Back: Stories of Nishnaabeg Re-Creation, Resurgence, and a New Emergence
  • The Modern Girl's Guide to Motherhood
  • Scotland: A Concise History
  • On the Farm
  • What Every Mom Needs
  • Left Brain, Right Stuff: How Leaders Make Winning Decisions
Mary Kay Ash was an American businesswoman and founder of Mary Kay Cosmetics, Inc.
More about Mary Kay Ash...