Start by marking “I Was #87: A Deaf Woman's Ordeal of Misdiagnosis, Institutionalization, and Abuse” as Want to Read:

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  44 ratings  ·  14 reviews
"I was six years old, alone and terrified, and no one knew that I was deaf". So began Anne Bolander's five-year ordeal at an institution for retarded and unwanted children. Emotions were not allowed at the institution, where children were beaten bloody for laughing, crying, or even touching another child. Children lived a robotic existence, and like robots, were known by n ...more
Published June 1st 1995 by Gallaudet University Press

To ask other readers questions about I Was #87, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about I Was #87

Melissa
I read this book probably 8-10 years ago, but it was a very vivid story and I still remember it. This book opened my eyes to just how many evil people there are who will brutally take advantage of a weaker person. It wasn't just Margie and the other people at the "school," but her father, stepmother, coworkers at the factory, etc. and it continued long after Anne became an adult. If you see someone being abused or taken advantage of, help them. They need you. Don't just stand by; DO SOMETHING to ...more
Julie
Anne Bolander's story about growing up hard of hearing while everyone thought she was mentally disabled. She's sent away at a young age to an institution that is nothing but abuse and neglect. When she comes home, more abuse. It's a very depressing and disturbing story.

As I was reading, I was compelled to keep reading, as I waited for someone to rescue her and give the book a happy ending. Well, there's some of that, but not nearly soon enough.

I realize there's a whole genre of books like this a
Nancy
Remarkable, heart-breaking story that is exactly as the title promises: "A Deaf Woman's Ordeal of Misdiagnosis, Institutionalization, and Abuse." Despite the years of beatings and emotional abuse that Anne endured, her will and her spirit remain.
Katie
Jul 02, 2008 Katie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: those who loved to be wow-ed
Are you kidding? This stuff really happens!?!? This book got me all stirred up with the injustice of the world today. But it also filled me with hope and wonder at the plights this woman has faced.
Neeka27
The most frustrating and depressing book but it is a story that needs to be told. I am completely heartbroken for her and ashamed at people's cruelty and taking advantage of others. :(
Andrea
Not the most well-written book, but it kept me engaged. Knowing that the author lives near me made her story especially intriguing.
Michelle
Dec 27, 2010 Michelle marked it as to-read
Shelves: biography
story of a deaf girl who was raised in a mental institution because no one knew her disability; recommended by Liz at school
Mary
I knew Anne from some classes in college. A funny, very kind woman. Honored to read this book while knowing her.
Faith
Very well graphically written. I felt every hardship of Anne and waited anxiously for accomplishments.
Stephanie
Harsh upbringing and terrible life of a woman diagnosed as mentally retarded, but who was actually just deaf.
Dianna
Wow!! So sad and disturbing. She went through so much and remained a sweet person. A must read
Jana
Definitely not uplifting, but a quick-read and a sad story of a true-life experience
Jennifer Sager
For anyone who has grown up in Bridgewater, VA this is an astonishing read.
emotional read. very heavy and hard to read at times
Nicollette Renee
Nicollette Renee marked it as to-read
Dec 01, 2014
Jennifer Lloyd
Jennifer Lloyd marked it as to-read
Sep 30, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Sep 28, 2014
Briana
Briana marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Paula
Paula marked it as to-read
Sep 12, 2014
Karsten
Karsten marked it as to-read
Aug 28, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Katie
Katie marked it as to-read
Jul 15, 2014