Start by marking “Bridges Are to Cross” as Want to Read:
Bridges Are to Cross

Philemon Sturges

Bridges Are to Cross

3.93  ·  Rating Details  ·  45 Ratings  ·  12 Reviews
This ingeniously engineered book takes readers from the car-carrying Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco, California to the water-carrying Segovia Aqueduct in Spain to the people-carrying Ponte di Rialto in Italy. Readers young and old will delight in poring over the bridges and their settings, all impressively replicated and packed with details.
Published by Turtleback Books (first published January 1st 1998)

To ask other readers questions about Bridges Are to Cross, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Bridges Are to Cross

Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I'm giving this 4 stars for the incredible illustrations, which are all made of layers of cut paper, beautifully detailed. The book's title suggested that the book would be about the various uses of bridges, but it also was about the various ways that bridges could be built. I liked the variety and the fact that some of the bridges were in other countries. However, I would have liked to have seen the water in the aqueduct in Segovia, as I don't think, from the picture, that it would be clear to ...more
Deborah
Jan 04, 2010 Deborah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
an interesting model text for a class book. Students could choose any topic (like bridges) that exist in different forms around the world. The pages identify the bridge with a picture and some factual information, and then follow that with a short paragraph (2-3 sentences) about the kind of bridge or something unique to that particular bridge. The main text finds a pattern to the order--purposes of the bridges--which can be an interesting exercise, too, to have students figure out why the author ...more
Tatiana
Apr 13, 2012 Tatiana rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In Bridges are to Cross, Philemon Sturges explores the various types of bridges, from the Ponte Di Rialto to the Conocheague Aqueduct to the well-known Brooklyn Bridge. The illustrations especially bring the constructions to life, except for the picture of the Segovia Aqueduct, which was even confusing to me. I didn't use that example in my lesson plan with the focus skill of summarizing.
Lisa Vegan
May 30, 2010 Lisa Vegan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Lisa by: Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
I live just about a 5 minute drive from the bridge on the book’s cover, the Golden Gate Bridge, and in an area with many bridges. I also love learning about different places, so this book was appealing from the cover on.

I really loved this book, its illustrations and information. But, I do think it’s important that readers/potential buyers know what they are getting.

The author of this has his master’s degree in architecture and the illustrator has studied art.

What’s important to know is that th
Kelly Ramsey
Feb 21, 2014 Kelly Ramsey rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Bridges are to Cross is talking about diffret types of bridges and how they are made. He talks about how they are used in life. The can be colorful, made by interesting materials and are crossed by waters.

Activity: Large Group -building bridges

While the students are buiklding bridges with the blocks, incorporate pictures, tonka trucks, yawn, boats, submarines, toilet tussie paper and let the children use their imagination to make it more fun and creative through play.
Romelle
What is captivating about this book is the artwork, which is done with intricately cut paper. This picture book was filed under the picture book section of my library. The text is uniformly formatted as follows:
- Purpose of the bridge
- name of bridge, its location, type of bridge, year built
- interesting fact

This is a nonfiction picture book full of facts and amazing illustrations about bridges from all parts of the world.
Paige Lofton
This book was good but it wasn't exactly fantastic. The that the author designed the book was good and I liked how detailed the pictures of the bridges were. However, I didn't like how there wasn't much description. There wasn't a bunch of information over the bridges but the information that was there wasn't too bad, it was just scarce.
Nicole Jacob
This would be a great book for about Kindergarten to about 2nd grade to read. It tells you of all the different major bridges around the world. But the pictures are drawn they are not real picture but they were still done very well. And this book is a super easy read for kids of they were struggling with reading.
 Sara
Nov 27, 2011 Sara rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: age 5-9
Shelves: travel, picture-book
a fun story with history trivia about different bridges. Awesome pictures and brief enough with enough plot to keep early elementary or even preschool kids engaged.
Deborah
wonderful pictures of bridges. the text is simple and clean, except for the very end, which i thought was sappy.
Becky
The story wasn't incredible, but the pictures of the bridges were amazing.
Cws
Jul 23, 2009 Cws added it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: br
BR-Stu
Kristen Jaques
Kristen Jaques rated it really liked it
Apr 19, 2016
Kris
Kris added it
Feb 29, 2016
Christina
Christina marked it as to-read
Feb 11, 2016
Emerald Girl
Emerald Girl marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Joel
Joel added it
Feb 06, 2016
Kevin English
Kevin English rated it really liked it
Dec 26, 2015
Camille Tesch
Camille Tesch marked it as to-read
Nov 17, 2015
Sydney
Sydney added it
Nov 10, 2015
Mary
Mary rated it really liked it
Oct 31, 2015
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Oct 12, 2015
Jodi
Jodi marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2015
Alexis Simmons
Alexis Simmons marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2015
Tracy Peirano
Tracy Peirano marked it as to-read
Aug 14, 2015
Lindsi
Lindsi rated it liked it
Jul 08, 2015