Start by marking “Three's A Crowd” as Want to Read:
Three's A Crowd

Three's A Crowd (Patrick Shea Mystery #1)

Published May 29th 2012 by Quail Creek Publishing

To ask other readers questions about Three's A Crowd, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Three's A Crowd

Jul 07, 2012 Sophia rated it really liked it
This was a brilliant breakout start into the world of detective fiction for Mary Lydon Simonsen. I have been reading her work for a few years now in the Romance genre and was very eager to see how she would do not just writing a mystery with a police detective, but making the detective British. She did a terrific job. I've read and watched a lot of British drama mysteries and it felt the same.

The main plot centers around the mystery of who attacked Police Detective Sergeant Patrick Shea's forme
Jun 07, 2012 Angie rated it really liked it
In her latest novel, Mary Simonsen steps away from Regency England, to dive into a post 9-11 London, introducing us to Patrick Shea, a new detective for the Hampdon Crime Unit in London. Shea seems to have it all - easy cases, a great partner in Molly, a brother who is getting his life together, and a shot at moving up quickly in the police force.

The novel talks a lot about what cops of his stature give up to be where they are - family, friends, nights, weekends, and basically their lives. Patri
Jun 25, 2012 Jakki rated it really liked it
Celebrated Austenesque author, Mary Lydon Simonsen released a new book, yet it is not a Pride and Prejudice re-imagining. Simonsen hits the ground running in her debut mystery, Three’s A Crowd.

Detective Patrick Shea is the quintessential good guy who is on the fast track to becoming the newest detective on Scotland Yard’s Murder Investigation team. But when his ex-girlfriend becomes the victim of an assault, things get complicated. After learning of Annie’s assault, Patrick Shea makes finding he
Jun 08, 2012 Candy rated it really liked it
Mary Simonsen has stepped out of the Austen world and into a modern English detective story with Three's a Crowd. I did have to laugh when she mentions Collin Firth! This is not her first non-Austen work but I believe it is her first mystery. It’s a modern, edgy mystery that I thoroughly enjoyed!

Detective Sargent Patrick Shea is one hot copper! He works for the Criminal Investigation Department (CID) in London's Metropolitan Police. He has dreams of advancing to Scotland Yard. He also has a high
Jul 01, 2012 Cinta rated it really liked it
Mary Lydon Simonsen is very well-known as a writer of Austen fan fiction. But in this case, she surprises us all with a mystery novella. It has nothing to do with Jane Austen, so I say that for a debut mystery story, she did really well. That is why I give her 4 stars.

Patrick Shea is a British copper, working for the Metropolitan Police. His big ambition is to promote so he can work for Scotland Yard. That is his dream. But his dream may be in jeopardy when one of his ex-girlfriends is assaulted
Lynda Kelly
This was quite a short book but I liked it although at times there seemed to be an odd way of writing and strange expressions used. The author right away points out that though this series is set in London she's kept the Americanised spellings, which I found a little peculiar. I think she maybe meant bus fare but she referred to a bus transfer a couple of times. Also someone being on the inside as opposed to being inside. She also referred to a minor at 17 which isn't the case here. There were a ...more
Aug 30, 2012 June rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Three's A Crowd by Mary Lydon Simonsen

A mystery novella (length 193 pages) that introduces Detective Sergeant Patrick Shea. Shea is new to the Hampden Station, and is making his mark. When his ex-girlfriend is assaulted in another district, Patrick Shea involves himself in the investigation (unofficially). This book reads like a full-length novel with one plot flowing into the next. No guts, gore or bodice ripping. Mild swearing, but in context. Ms. Simonsen includes a Glossary of British Terms
June Williams
Jul 19, 2012 June Williams rated it it was amazing
I stayed up all night to read this. The characters were very well written, and I look forward to seeing them in future books. I hissed and booed at the baddies and cheered the good guys -- and was surprised at who the true villain was. Even the minor characters got me hopping mad; there is a set of nasty greedy sisters who I hope receive retribution in a future book.

I enjoyed this book very much, and gladly recommend Mary's writing.
Aug 05, 2012 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
I have read many of this author's Austen-esque novels and enjoyed them, but I was happily surprised at how very good this mystery is. I had to read through it and finish it all in one night.After the classics, a mystery is my favorite reading. In this one, the hero is quite appealing and the plot is well done. I hope this will be the beginning of a new series!
Aug 27, 2016 Susan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Detective Sergeant Patrick Shea, based in Hampden, London is hoping soon to be placed at New Scotland Yard. But can his personal life interfere with that as he continues to catch criminals, some interesting secondary characters keep the story moving.
Shall watch out to see how the series develops.
Jan 08, 2013 Opal rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
We meet Patrick Shea, a new detective in the Hampton Crime Unit in London. He’s good-looking, charming, and has a great sense of humor. That helps when the rest of the unit decides to lay a joke on him. He’s the golden boy of the station or the nick as it’s called. He’s just solved an important case but the assault of an ex-girlfriend has brought complications to his personal life that could have serious ramifications on his career.

What I loved about this novella was that it was a complete story
Sheila Majczan
Mar 24, 2015 Sheila Majczan rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I do follow the PBS mystery series on TV, which seem to all be British mysteries, don't usually read mysteries. Therefore when the latest in the Patrick Shea series (Dying to Write) was reviewed on Austenesque Reviews (due to its being a murder mystery set at a Jane Austen Convention) and received a good review on the site, I responded that I could not read the fourth in a series without reading the prequels. So the author informed me that the first novella was only $.99 for the kindle version o ...more
Debbie Robson
I normally don’t read murder mysteries or crime stories, particularly about police detectives.The closest I generally come is Robert Goddard’s novels which often feature a murder or two but in quite a different context - so this was a challenge. I was surprised how quickly I finished Three’s A Crowd, even allowing for it being a novella.
Patrick Shea is a pleasant, honest, cheerful and most importantly good looking London copper. He’s very likeable but I felt he could have done with something oth
Three's A Crowd is an introduction to the world of London-based Detective Sergeant Patrick Shea. For Patrick Shea, after his young son, being a policeman means everything. He's aiming for Scotland Yard's Murder Investigation Team, and the chance to join the MIT seems close enough he can smell it.

Right now, though, DS Shea and his partner DC Molly Updike are dealing with the elusive Hampden Burglar, a missing teenager, and re-opening a cold case. Then there are the added complications of the assa
Jul 15, 2014 Kathy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mysteries
I am familiar with Ms. Simonsen's work in her many Pride and Prejudice variations that I have mostly found to be very well written and compelling, with great dialog and character development. I was a little disappointed that this was a novella, as it lacked as much of the details of Ms. Simonsen's other work as far as character development. The main character is likable though his somewhat messed-up personal life takes over the story in the case that he investigates. I'm not conversant in Britis ...more
Jan 29, 2013 Theresa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Patrick Shea is on the "fast-track" to working at New Scotland Yard. He as excelled in solving cases and has an excellent new partner, Molly.

His ex-girlfriend is assaulted one night walking in a bad part of town and Patrick finds out about the assault. Even though it's in another precinct, he takes over the case risking his chance to move to New Scotland Yard.

He needs to find out who assaulted her and why.

A very fast-paced read; I enjoyed it very much!
Jan 09, 2015 Rowan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Here's a great start to a detective mystery series. Mary Lydon Simonsen has done a thorough job creating a visual work with well defined characters and enough detail without being written in foot-pounds. I highly recommend this series.
Two comments: (1) one of the least authentic British police procedurals by an American author. Can't hold a candle to Elizabeth George or Martha Grimes. (2). Double standard for sexual behavior. Patrick can be a horn dog, yet he judges Annie harshly.
Mar 14, 2013 Jean rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this short novella, a police procedural but with a personal touch for Patrick Shea the main character. He doesn't always get things right with his personal life but I like the man and look forward to reading more from this author and her new genre.
Oct 11, 2012 Sue rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
It was nice to read something from a genre I'm not used to reading much of. I enjoyed the author's change of pace from her other works. I didn't see the ending until almost the end itself. I enjoyed the character development of Detective O'Shea.
Gaynor rated it it was ok
May 12, 2016
MaryBeth rated it liked it
Oct 07, 2013
Janet Paventy
Janet Paventy rated it liked it
Dec 04, 2012
Lynn rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2012
mary glasgow
mary glasgow rated it really liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Meagan Fisher
Meagan Fisher rated it really liked it
Jan 12, 2014
Nancy R Stapenell
Nancy R Stapenell rated it it was amazing
Jul 23, 2016
Mrs K L Mallinson
Mrs K L Mallinson rated it it was ok
Oct 30, 2015
Sarah Robertson
Sarah Robertson rated it it was amazing
Sep 13, 2012
Karen rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
  • The Celibate Mouse (Susan Prescott #2)
  • Horse's Arse
  • Torn Apart (Hero, #1)
  • Perilous Cove (Perilous Safety Series - Book 1)
  • Long Way Home
  • Cleaver Square (DCI Morton #2)
  • Soundkeeper (Hall McCormick Thriller, #1)
  • Cold in the Earth (DI Marjory Fleming #1)
  • Next Move, You're Dead (Next Move, You're Dead, #1)
  • Gray Area
  • A Perfect Match (Lloyd & Hill, #1)
  • Tollesbury Time Forever
  • Death at the President's Lodging (Sir John Appleby, #1)
  • West of Western (Chicago Stories, #1)
  • Superbia (Superbia #1)
  • On the Ropes (The Duffy Dombrowski Mysteries, #1)
  • Cambridge Blue (DC Gary Goodhew Mystery #1)
  • Edited for Death (Amy Hobbes #1)
I am the authors of several Pride & Prejudice and Persuasion re-imaginings. I have also written a modern love story, The Second Date, Love Italian-American Style, and three British mysteries, Three's A Crowd, A Killing in Kensington, A Death in Hampden, Dying to Write, and Murder by Moonlighting.

I am a wife, mother, grandmother, volunteer, reader, writer, serious recycler.

When I read for relax
More about Mary Lydon Simonsen...

Patrick Shea Mystery (5 books)
  • A Killing in Kensington (Patrick Shea Mystery, #2)
  • A Death in Hampden (Patrick Shea Mystery, #3)
  • Dying to Write (A Patrick Shea Mystery, #4)
  • Murder by Moonlighting (A Patrick Shea Mystery, #5)

“you don’t babysit your own kid. You raise him. You parent him. But you don’t babysit him.” 0 likes