Start by marking “False Impressions (Megan Scott & Michael Elliott, #1)” as Want to Read:
False Impressions (Megan Scott & Michael Elliott, #1)

False Impressions (Megan Scott & Michael Elliott #1)

"Her cheating husband was murdered and she's the prime suspect. Proving her innocence is one thing; evading a killer who wants her dead is something else."

Montreal ghostwriter Megan Scott falls under police suspicion when her husband and a female companion are found murdered. In what a Quebec detective calls a crime of passion, startling evidence surfaces to implicate Mich
Published August 20th 2012 by Vemcort Publishing (first published May 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about False Impressions, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about False Impressions

Lynne King
Feb 19, 2013 Lynne King rated it liked it
Shelves: mysteries
My reading is eclectic. I love biographies, gardening books, thrillers, astronomy, cookery books; you name it and I will read it but the ones that I love and keep in my library all have one thing in common, they have that magical “je ne sais quoi” quality that wants me to read them and read them, and keep them to read again. To this day, I don’t know what makes a great book but I do indeed know one when I read one.

The elements are good for this mystery: Based in Montreal (to me a very exotic cit
Susan Anderson
Mar 16, 2013 Susan Anderson rated it it was amazing
Shelves: mystery
I just loved FALSE IMPRESSIONS, a mystery by Sandra Nikolai. It’s got a tight story line, a strong voice, and love is in the air between its two main characters, Megan and Michael. It’s got minor characters who are exploding with jealousy and who fall over one another chasing the men they’re burning for—so what’s not to like?

Ghostwriter Megan Scott becomes a suspect when her husband and his companion are found murdered. Startling evidence surfaces to implicate a young investigative reporter, Mic
JoAnne McMaster (Any Good Book)
was pleasantly surprised by this novel. While I expected the mystery to be decent, I certainly did not expect it to be something I could not put down. It definitely held my interest.

Megan's husband, Tom, is a salesman and travels quite often for his job. Megan is a ghostwriter. The police arrive at Megan's home one day and inform her that her husband is dead. And that a female was found along with him. She is devastated; partly because she thought they had a happy marriage, partly because they w
Gail Baugniet
Oct 20, 2012 Gail Baugniet rated it it was amazing
Seamless Plot and Escalating Suspicions

Set in Montreal, this debut crime fiction novel by author Sandra Nikolai is loaded with intriguing characters that continued to hold my interest as it wove a story of a betrayed wife, Megan Scott, and a criminal investigator, Michael Elliott.

As a bit of a movie buff, I found the premise of False Impressions reminiscent of the 1999 movie Random Hearts starring Harrison Ford and Kristin Scott Thomas who, after their marriage partners die in a plane crash, dis
Melodie Ramone
Jan 30, 2013 Melodie Ramone rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm so proud! I knew who the killer was. But was it predictable? Uh, no. Not at all. I actually thought I was wrong and it was the other two or three obvious choices. Needless to say, Sandra Nickolai filled False Impressions with enough shade, confusion, details, questions, twists, and turns that it kept me guessing until about 97% through the book. That would be...yes. The second to last chapter. The last chapter just tied it all up. Brilliant.

I truly enjoyed this book with it's full bodied cha
Cheryl Landmark
Jun 21, 2014 Cheryl Landmark rated it really liked it
Lots of tension, suspense, red herrings, twists and turns, suspects, motives--all the makings of a well-crafted and clever whodunit. The pacing was great, the plot believable and the resolution satisfactory. The setting of Montreal was vividly described and the sprinklings of the French-Canadian language and culture throughout the book made me feel like I was right there along with Megan and Michael.

Speaking of whom, these two characters were very strong, well-developed, intelligent and real and
Ivana Ciglar

Great mystery novel !

Suspense, crime, clues, false accusations... One hell of a ride!

Montreal ghostwriter Megan Scott falls under suspicion of murdering her husband, Thomas Scott and her best friend, Pamela Strober when their bodies are found at a cottage in Pineview. The autopsy declares that they were murdered by cyanide poisoning. Detectives in charge turn to the most obvious suspect, the wife. She had the perfect motive, a cheating husband and a backstabbing friend. When they discover she wa
Stephanie Urch
I received a copy of this book free from Goodreads First Reads.

I had a hard time deciding on a rating to give this. On the one hand, I really really enjoyed reading it. It was a great mystery and it really did keep me guessing about certain things all the way through. I was correct in my suspicion of who the killer was, but I didn't know any of the details behind it, and it was really well done in how those were revealed. Plus I loved the relationship between Michael and Megan. On the other hand
Carmen Amato
May 17, 2013 Carmen Amato rated it it was amazing
FALSE IMPRESSIONS by Canadian author Sandra Nikolai was a real gem, a nicely composed whodunit that shies away from gore and violence in favor of a dialogue-driven narrative in which the characters’ brainstorming sessions take center stage. Am I mixing metaphors? Maybe. Go buy the book.

I always like reading mysteries that are set in different places and Nikolai puts the reader right in downtown Montreal, giving us a sense of the French influence as well as the shops, restaurants, subway system,
Charles Stubbs
Sep 16, 2012 Charles Stubbs rated it really liked it
High tension, clever plot

When freelance ghostwriter Megan Scott learns of the sudden deaths of her husband and a female friend, found together in a holiday resort chalet, her world starts spinning out of control. What were they doing there together? And who would murder them both? Megan looks for support from one of her clients, Michael Elliott, an investigative reporter. But soon Megan and Michael become the prime suspects in the police investigation. While Michael’s friend Dan, their lawyer, f
Sep 01, 2014 Jennifer rated it really liked it
Disclosure: I won this book in a Goodreads giveaway.
I thoroughly enjoyed this book. Megan's husband is found murdered, and he was not alone. His female companion is also dead. The police suspect Megan, and she has to prove her innocence, and at the same time rediscover who her husband really was.
The story was well written, very plausible, and very compelling. To be honest, I did not really 'get' the protagonist at the end, it did work (although a bit of a stretch in my opinion, but it did work)
Joyce Strand
Nov 08, 2012 Joyce Strand rated it it was amazing
FALSE IMPRESSIONS offers readers a fun mystery with a great puzzle and just enough romance!

I was immediately enticed into this who-done-it with the opening line, “If Id known I would be visiting the morgue just weeks after…” The pace never lets up, and it was hard to stop reading for a dinner break. Told from first person point-of-view, we learn about her protagonist gradually, meet and learn about characters from her perspective, and solve the crime through her eyes. As a lover of mysteries, I
Brian Benson
Dec 13, 2012 Brian Benson rated it it was amazing
False Impressions is a top rate mystery/thriller, set in Montreal. I really liked the the way Nikolai used the characters in her story. She introduced them like paintings in an art gallery, letting me focus on which one to choose. Thus, the dilemma, which one? She sprinkled in just enough information throughout to keep me guessing, then tied it up all very neatly at the end. I highly recommend this very thoughtfully produced mystery, and cannot wait to read her next offering Fatal Whispers. Cong ...more
Agnes (BeaderBubbe)
I finished this book when my computer crashed so I am just able to update a review. Want a real who-done-it? This book you wont put down. Mystery surrounds it throughout and even I couldnt find out who did it. Megan Scott's husband is found dead with a woman and the story begins. She is thrown into an investigation which makes her look like the guilty party....is she? and who wants her killed?

Cant say more or I will give it away...definitely a must-read....and this is only Book 1 - Sandra Nikol
Misha Crews
Aug 13, 2012 Misha Crews rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Megan Scott has a good job, a best friend and a loving husband. Then in one cruel swoop, all of that is taken away. Megan is now a widow, practically friendless, and the prime suspect in her husband's murder. It's not long before Megan's own life is in danger. This is a deftly-crafted mystery that kept me guessing until the killer's identity was revealed. Full of beautiful descriptions of Montreal, interesting characters and grim jeopardy. A very enjoyable book and highly recommended!
Melissa
Mar 10, 2013 Melissa rated it it was amazing
I LOVED this book! I had no clue who the killer was, it was a total surprise! I also loved that the story is in Montreal, since I live there, I could see the major places in my head. English is my second language, and it was really easy for me to follow; I even had to restrain myself from reading it too fast :) I discovered a new author, and I will buy any other books that Sandra Nikolai will write.
Peter Dickerson
Apr 18, 2015 Peter Dickerson rated it it was amazing
False Impressions is a Film Noir style crime drama. In this respect it is about a murder, an aggrieved widow, a police investigation, the suspects, and a new romance. The heroes are the newly widowed ghost writer and her mysterious and resourceful crime reporter and writer client.

False Impressions is relatively light, has a neat ending, and is good fun. I did enjoy reading it. I liked the French element of the book being set in Montreal. I understand that there are sequels as well.
David Holland
Sep 14, 2013 David Holland rated it it was amazing
Only started this book on Monday but could not put it down.

From page 1 to the very end you are on a rollercoaster ride with Megan and Michael.

Suspicion is thrown at so many characters throughout the chapters that you do not know who is responsible until the very last second.

An absolutely brilliant book and one I would definitely want to read again!
Kristine
Apr 06, 2013 Kristine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 4-star-rating
I enjoyed this book. It was a easy book to read with a lot of suspense. I will admit that I figured out the mystery fairly early on but I tend to do that with most books I read. I look forward to reading the next book in the Megan and Michael series. It was neat to read a book by an author that lives in the same general area as me.
Martha
Apr 07, 2013 Martha rated it it was amazing
I received False Impressions by Sandra Nikolai free from Goodreads.com and totally enjoyed the mystery. I didn't outguess the mystery and was surprised by the ending. I liked the way the relationships built throughout the story. This is my kind of story A good murder mystery. Thanks.
Jeremy
Dec 29, 2012 Jeremy rated it it was amazing
Perfect pacing, sympathetic characters, a believable plot and resolution, what more can you ask for? Kudos to Mrs. Nikolai on a stunning debut, this deserves a much wider publication.
Anna
Aug 01, 2014 Anna rated it really liked it
Shelves: first-reads
I really enjoyed reading this mystery novel with all good elements in. The end was quite a page tuner and it took me a while to figure out who the real killer was.
Diane
Jan 12, 2013 Diane rated it really liked it
When can we expect your next book,Sandra. I found this well thought out and a fun read. please bring on more.
Abha
Dec 11, 2012 Abha rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, botm
I had a lot of suspects while reading this. It was a nice, not overly done, whodunnit mystery. Will check out the next book in the series since I liked both Megan and Michael.
Lili
Feb 03, 2014 Lili rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed reading this, the pace was alert and the surprises keep croping up.
I also liked the romantic angle, really interesting developing.

I recommend it for lovers of mistery books!
Shelly Zielinski
Jan 08, 2014 Shelly Zielinski rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed book. I didn't want to put it down. I can't wait for the next one.
Montserrat Bouvier
Aug 13, 2013 Montserrat Bouvier rated it it was amazing
Pleasantly surprised! Looking forward to the next one.
Amanda
Dec 22, 2016 Amanda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Short short review. A well crafted story with a good murder mystery. I love the relationship between Megan and Michael and am looking forward to continuing the series.
Karen
Oct 12, 2016 Karen rated it it was ok
Not very good. Almost didn't finish but had nothing else to read at the time.
Carolina
Aug 18, 2016 Carolina rated it did not like it
Plot
No stupidity, no book.
Seriously, none of this makes sense. Megan’s cheating husband was found dead. It was perfectly normal that the police would suspect Megan and Michael, her supposed lover. But, no! The police were incompetent and they were on a “witch hunt”, so the protagonists had to find the real killer to prove their innocence. They were suspects, but there wasn’t any proof. They could’ve trusted the police to do their jobs instead of blowing it out of proportion.
This isn’t the myster
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
  • Game Theory (Katerina Carter Fraud Thriller, #2)
  • The Second Bat Guano War
  • Jin Village
  • The Experiment
  • Keeping Score ~ A Guide to Love and Relationships
  • Dating101
  • The Killer
  • Becoming a Superhero: Based on a True Story
  • Lessness and More
  • The Rainy Day Killer (Donaghue and Stainer Crime Novel #4)
  • Mrs May
  • Promise of Departure
  • Time-lapse Photography: A Complete Introduction to Shooting, Processing and Rendering Timelapse Movies with a DSLR Camera
  • Cliff Diver (Emilia Cruz Mysteries, #1)
  • Under Her Spell
  • Vampiric Assignations (The Protectors)
  • City Chronicles: A Little Bit of Italy
  • The Light
Sandra Nikolai is the author of the Megan Scott/Michael Elliott Mystery series, a blend of cozy mystery, crime thriller, and psychological suspense. Her two sleuths, a sharp-eyed ghostwriter and a daring investigative reporter, face life-threatening situations as they hunt down ruthless murderers and struggle to stay alive in the process!

You can visit Sandra's website at www.sandranikolai.com wher
More about Sandra Nikolai...

Megan Scott & Michael Elliott (4 books)
  • Fatal Whispers (Megan Scott/Michael Elliott, #2)
  • Icy Silence (Megan Scott/Michael Elliott Mystery, #3)
  • Dark Deeds (Megan Scott/Michael Elliott Mystery, #4)