Start by marking “Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport: Making Connections in Today's World” as Want to Read:
Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport: Making Connections in Today's World

Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport: Making Connections in Today's World

3.36 of 5 stars 3.36  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  29 reviews
What do the Canons of Dordt mean to people in the Las Vegas airport and does anyone there even care? In the movie Hardcore, a pious Calvinist elder tries unsuccessfully to explain the TULIP theology of his Dutch Reformed faith to a prostitute in the Las Vegas airport. This incongruous conversation demonstrates how Calvinism is often perceived today: irrelevant, harsh, even ...more
Published October 10th 2004 by Zondervan Publishing Company (first published October 1st 2004)

To ask other readers questions about Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Calvinism in the Las Vegas Airport

Sean Higgins
The first three chapters made me think I was going to love the book.

I thought his explanation of the usefulness of labels was great (19-22), as was his own label wearing explanation.
God created us to glorify him in all we do, and our basic choices either honor or dishonor God's creating purposes. When I decide to call myself a Calvinist, then--and if I am serious in my declaration--I am implying that this is a very good way to be a human being who is created in the divine image. (20)

I appreciate
David
Surprisingly refreshing read. Can’t say I follow Mouw everywhere he goes, but I thought this was a good book which wrestled with the tension one experiences as a Calvinist in the 21st century. This isn’t an exegetical work, nor is it a technical theological treatise. It’s more like pastoral musings – and for the most part, very good musings. I was intrigued with how Mouw drew upon certain resources within the Calvinist tradition to address certain cotemporary hot topics, even when I didn’t agree ...more
Clark Goble
Mouw does an excellent job writing a primer on Calvinism. He first aptly defines Calvinism for his readers and then makes an argument for a sort of "generous" Calvinism that recognizes its role under the umbrella of Christianity. This is a timely read. Too often, Calvinism gets twisted into Hyper-Calvinism which is neither Biblical or helpful. Mouw does a wonderful job putting Calvinism back into the proper perspective.

Unfortunately, Mouw then crosses into dangerous territory. In his zeal to ar
David
Mouw presents a simple, generous, and personal take on Calvinism. You are not going to find a rigorous exposition of Calvinist theology here. Mouw is writing to people "outside" the Calvinist faith. Instead of inviting people into the world of Calvinism, he takes his Calvinism out to travel the world. The result is a winsome and thought provoking explanation of why Calvinism still matters today.

If you are looking for an in-house book arguing the theological nuances of Reformed Theology, this bo
Sandy
Don't remember who recommended this book but am glad they did. Although I was familiar with TULIP, the pneumonic help to remember what Calvinism is about, this book unpacks some of the finer nuances. Although I attend a church that is part of a Reformed, or Calvin, tradition, I can't say that I agree with all 5 points. Just call me Calvin 2.5 or so. I actually may read this book again as I gain a better understanding from where the Calvin 5.0 people come from.
Eric
Fairly easy read by Mouw, but not recommended. He does a fairly good job of explaining the points of TULIP, bit certainly not as well as Sproul (but who can, really?) If he had left the book there I would have probably given him 4 stars...

...but then he wrote Chapter 8, The Generosity Option. I'm very sorry Dr. Mouw, but no matter how difficult you find it to "draw sharp lines in your own mind about who is 'in' and who is 'out'" (85), anyone who does not accept salvation through Christ alone is
Chad Jowers
As rudimentary as reformed theology can be explained, Mouw does a good job with the basics. I was not, however, as impressed with his writings as I have been others that have easily explained the Calvinist view.

Seek Sproul or Keller or some others if you want a more scriptural-based teaching that moves more in-depth. Read Mouw if you want to amuse your own reformed beliefs.

Mouw's gentle spirit shines in his works on and off the pages; however, for educational purposes and to help others better
Jimp
Calvinism is not a topic I would associate with the Las Vegas airport. I have been there and other religious perspectives or philosophies would strike me as a bit more appropriate. But Richard Mouw, President of Fuller Theological Seminar, provides a great introduction to where Calvinism fits and why it matters. The fact that there are 57 references and 7 pages in the index for this 147 page book, points to the scholarly foundation of a book that is quite easy to read. It was very helpful for me ...more
Stephen

Mouw offers a vision of compassionate Calvinism that accepts he core salvation understanding presented in the Canons of Dort while remaining open and charitable to other Christian traditions. In the midst of harsh pro- and anti-Calvinist rhetoric, Mouw's book is a helpful reminder of the size, scope, and attitude that should be part and parcel of Calvinism. He major flaw of the book is its continued adherence to TULIP as the summation of Dort. Other than that, I recommend the book for those cur
Mark A Powell
Mouw presents an honest, often helpful interaction with the ‘five points’ of Calvinism. Instead of rehashing historical doctrines, he focuses on the way Calvinism is often harshly communicated and perceived. Mouw considers compassionate, respectful alternatives in the ways Calvinists express their beliefs. While the first half is passable, Mouw then sadly reveals inclusivist positions on salvation and veers toward sweeping ecumenicalism. Also very troubling is how Scripture is seldom used, seemi ...more
Job Dalomba
Not great no terrible.
Peter
Lost me when he starts insinuating a Jew or an atheist could be saved.
Judy
I thought Mouw did a very good job of explaining the bedrock Calvinist beliefs summarized in TULIP, including a discussion of why they are often misunderstood and perceived as harsh. He allowed room for disagreement with his conclusions and acknowledged that God's ways may involve mysteries not yet understood by man.
I especially appreciated his references to the 1st question and answer of the Heidelberg Catechism as a complement to Calvin's doctrines.
Walt Murray
Great book that challenges Calvinists to get out of their comfortable ivory tower, and to engage those who are suffering. The author does a great job of showing that as the holders of strong Biblical positions we have the obligation of going beyond the walls of the church, and into the world to help people find comfort in the great truths of the Christian faith.

I particularly found the chapter on grieving to be a comfort.
Joel
If you want a gracious, kind, brief introduction to what it means to be reformed, Mouw gives a read door into this world. He answers questions on 'TULIP' as ministry, how reformed people can learn from other traditions, what the reformed faith has to say to the culture, ultimately what it means that 'Salvation is of the Lord.' This is my first book by this author, and I want to read more from Mouw.
Tim Poole
Liked how the author talked about how the TULIP doctrines are a better "look back" explanation of our salvation vs an evangelistic tool. The latter chapters of the book are where I had trouble. While God is Sovereign and can do anything he desires, it was difficult reading how the author thought that a non-believing rabbi or a jaded (rightly so) woman may still be in heaven.
Dianne Oliver
I felt at home with this author. I enjoyed this read, and although he went a bit far with some of his ideas on who might be saved, I truly appreciated the conversation and the attitudes- his musings feel like my own. Calvinism, in his hands, does not feel like a dirty word. Refreshing in our postmodern world.
Olga
I found this to be a helpful book in its take on the Canons of Dort. It was quite charitable to the canons themselves while still being considerate to other Christian traditions. I am not as much an adherent of TULIP as a summary of Dort, but would still recommend the book.
Harriette
The author does a good job connecting Calvinism to the modern world in a variety of ways. He is honest about some of its misunderstand and difficult teachings. While holding to this version of Reformed theology he shows a willingness to learn from other traditions.
Rae
A most readable look at Calvinism from the point of view of Richard Mouw, retired president of the Fuller Theological Seminary. I loved his lack of arrogance, his "convicted civility," and his willingness to admit that he doesn't have all the answers. A great read.
Keith Bell
OK, Calvinism is not my thing. I won't go into that here though. I guess this is the authors attempt to explain how he maintains his Calvinistic beliefs in todays world. Not that they are contradictory for him. Interesting book but not my favourite by far.
Leah
Finally, a book on Calvinism that's friendly and accessible. I appreciate the way that Mouw leaves room for doubt and uncertainty while also writing with confidence about grace. I'll be looking for other Mouw books....perhaps his new biography on Kuyper?
Erin
Skimmed for school. I wish I had had more time to read this in depth, because it's probably the most honest look at Calvinism I've seen. I appreciate his willingness to acknowledge where Calvinism seems to be in conflict with the Scriptures.
Jack Kooyman
A well and clearly written primer for postmodern and emergent Christians who want to understand the relevance and significance of Calvinism in today's world.
matthew kaemingk
Apr 10, 2007 matthew kaemingk rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Those interested in a brief, thoughtful, and fresh introduction to Calvinist theology
Richard Mouw is a wonderful author. This book outlines a fresh, relevant, and interesting perspective on Reformed theology for the 21st century. Its short too!
Paul Heidebrecht
Nobody does it better than Rich Mouw. I read everything the man writes.
Steve Hemmeke
Okay, though he's a little embarrassed about Calvinism
Cheryl
Very interesting-makes for good discussion.
Noah
I was intrigued by this one when I first saw it on the shelves and read it on my bus commute over the course of a month or two. Later I assigned it to my staff for a book discussion reading to help us better articulate Calvinism and also get in touch with our own theological/spiritual understandings together.

The book was an easy read by Mouw, written to put Calvinism in modern terms, and I really appreciated his approach. In the end he helped to affirm my own fundamental agreement with the tenan
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Meal Jesus Gave Us: Understanding Holy Communion
  • Letters to a Young Calvinist: An Invitation to the Reformed Tradition
  • Christian Philosophy: A Systematic and Narrative Introduction
  • Creation Regained: Biblical Basics for a Reformational Worldview
  • The Scandal of the Evangelical Conscience: Why Are Christians Living Just Like the Rest of the World?
  • Wisdom and Wonder: Common Grace in Science & Art
  • Reformed Dogmatics Volume 1 : Prolegomena
  • Jesus Christ for Today's World
  • The Drama of Doctrine
  • Engaging God's World: A Christian Vision of Faith, Learning, and Living
  • Inspiration and Incarnation: Evangelicals and the Problem of the Old Testament
  • Against Christianity
  • A Little Exercise for Young Theologians
  • The Table Talk of Martin Luther
Richard J. Mouw (PhD, University of Chicago) is president of Fuller Theological Seminary in Pasadena, California, and the author of numerous books.
More about Richard J. Mouw...
When the Kings Come Marching in: Isaiah and the New Jerusalem Abraham Kuyper: A Short and Personal Introduction He Shines in All That's Fair: Culture and Common Grace Uncommon Decency: Christian Civility in an Uncivil World Called to the Life of the Mind: Some Advice for Evangelical Scholars

“the land of fadeless day lies the city foursquare; it shall never pass away and there is no night there.” 0 likes
“my professor got to his punch lines. In the end, Job heaves a big sigh and says, “Okay, you win. You are bigger than I am. I give up!” And then the Devil catches Job’s eye and winks at him. And Job winks back. They both know the answer now: Humor the Big Bully. UNDERSTANDING THE DIVINE SILENCE” 0 likes