Start by marking “A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community” as Want to Read:
A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community

A Glimpse of Nothingness: Experiences in an American Zen Community

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  241 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
The description of a Zen path of one Westerner who began by seeking for the sense of it all, and who came to realize at least a part of it.
Published April 15th 1999 by St. Martin's Griffin (first published 1974)

To ask other readers questions about A Glimpse of Nothingness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Glimpse of Nothingness

The Discovery of Heaven by Harry MulischDe donkere kamer van Damokles by Willem Frederik HermansNooit meer slapen by Willem Frederik HermansThe Assault by Harry MulischDe avonden by Gerard Reve
The best Dutch literature
252nd out of 318 books — 323 voters
The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne FrankMax Havelaar by MultatuliThe Darkroom Of Damocles by Willem Frederik HermansThe Dinner by Herman KochThe Tea Lords by Hella S. Haasse
English translations of Dutch Literature
69th out of 127 books — 10 voters

More lists with this book...

ania
Mar 01, 2016 ania rated it it was amazing
"The old teacher had told me about the man under the apple tree. First he grabbed at the apples and every now and then he would get one, but they were small and they were crushed in his hand. Then he changed his attitude. He just stood under the tree and stopped jumping. He merely held up his hands and when the apples were ripe they fell into his hands, and there were so many apples that he didn't know what to do with them and gave them away. 'So I must wait,' I thought, 'like I am waiting here ...more
Femmesquara
Jul 04, 2014 Femmesquara rated it liked it
a cute and light foray into an American Zen Buddhist monastery through the eyes of a Dutchman. enjoyed all the little buddhist asides about the Buddha Nature, knowing nothing, being nothing. Some notable quotes " Real wisdom can never be expressed in words", "man is a collection of ever-changing properties, housed in an ever-changing body", "buddhism is negative. it tells you only what it is not. it is only specific about its methods. it suggests taht you should create your own situations, rathe ...more
William Burr
Nov 12, 2015 William Burr rated it it was amazing
I had another book on the go that I was having trouble getting through when I had a moment of despair and decided to pick this one up, having a feeling that it would be more appealing, since I really enjoyed the first book in the series, An Empty Mirror. I was right - I breezed through this one in a week. Not sure how van de Wetering makes the most mundane aspects of life interesting. In this book, he visits an American Zen retreat centre, with a rather authoritarian master.

It's interesting to s
Eric
Oct 01, 2012 Eric added it
Shelves: zen
I think I tend to like this sort of first-person stuff (eg. Novice to Master: An Ongoing Lesson in the Extent of My Own Stupidity). Makes for good light reading, no pressure. Was also interesting to see a bit of life on the Rinzai end of the spectrum.

Gotta say, the book overall had a weirdly gloomy and lonely feel… The atmosphere reminded me of that Philip K. Dick novel with that slightly-broken kid on Mars that could see everybody through time. So pretty traumatising for him because every time
Justin
Jun 06, 2008 Justin added it
I'm reading this because a friend gave it to me for my birthday. It was very nice of him, although his insights are more interesting than some of those in the book. I am on day five of a juice cleanse right now. It feels hard, but not as hard as the form of Zen described in the book. I am enjoying it because I have a little experience with Zen and because it is a story. There are better stories and better books about Zen. But that's not a reason to put it down.

Done now. No need to fall into
Vi
Jun 18, 2011 Vi rated it really liked it
Shelves: zen-buddhism
Jan van de Wetering continues his exploration of Zen Buddhism. Some ten years ago, he had spent time in a Japanese Zen monastery and studied with a Master. While there for a year and a half, he was given a koan, a riddle of sorts, to solve and left before reaching any enlightenment. The koan did not lay dormant and through chance encounters, Jan finds himself staying in the United States at a newly established Zen community of one of the disciples of his previous Master.

Brisk and amusing read.
Libby
Feb 10, 2015 Libby rated it it was amazing
There are those people out there who say they are Buddhist, who do yoga and vegan diets and oppose wars and meditate occasionally. The latest "trend" is mindfulness, how you can practice five min a day and everything is clearer, one step closer to Nirvana.

Which is why I love books like this. According to this book, if you label yourself a Buddhist, you're not there yet.

Great nonfiction telling of the author's experience in deepening his understanding of beliefs. It is in fact a glimpse into anot
Lynne-marie
Jan 10, 2012 Lynne-marie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I read a lot about Zen Buddhism, but find it hard to write about what I've read. This book is honest, straight-forward and not about philosophy, but a day-by-day description of life in an American Zen commarde as the surrounding Americans call it. I found it enlightening with a small "e". I would recommend it to someone getting their feet wet in the concepts of Zen.
John
Jan 05, 2008 John rated it it was amazing
Fred lent this to me, and it was a pretty fascinating look at quasi-monastic Zen training in the U.S. Not fluffy or overly hardcore, and the author makes no attempt to look good for his closeup.
Fred
Jan 13, 2008 Fred rated it really liked it
i found this book entertaining and helpful. and as someone who sits (meditates) in a zen-esque manner every day it's a rare zen-related book that strikes me as both.
Alan
Jan 08, 2008 Alan rated it really liked it
Shelves: eastern-religion
I came to this after reading the Amsterdam mysteries, and the first book The Empty Mirror. This is zen with self-deprecation. That helps.
Meredith
May 03, 2015 Meredith rated it really liked it
I had forgotten what a wonderful writer van Wetering was. Great book-- highly recommended for those at least somewhat familiar with zen.
Dec 06, 2011 Sarah rated it really liked it
What I wrote right after I read it: An extremely good writer combined with a very interesting topic left me wanting to know more.
Davin
Mar 06, 2007 Davin rated it really liked it
Shelves: zen
Like the title says, in this second book of the author's Zen experience he starts to get somewhere. Inspiring.
Ruth
Feb 03, 2011 Ruth rated it really liked it
This one takes us to where Jan leaves off after The Empty Mirror. It was interesting to hear how he had matured.
Essemsee
Apr 27, 2013 Essemsee rated it really liked it
Shelves: philosophy
Echoed my skepticism, which I appreciated. Also got me to meditate. :)
Jeanette Colville
Jeanette Colville rated it it was amazing
Jun 18, 2016
Salt344
Salt344 marked it as to-read
Janet Savage
Janet Savage marked it as to-read
David Chess
David Chess rated it really liked it
Cristian Avram
Cristian Avram marked it as to-read
Jun 01, 2016
Cattle Class
Cattle Class rated it liked it
Jun 04, 2016
Deniz Gürsel
Deniz Gürsel marked it as to-read
May 25, 2016
Joanne
Joanne marked it as to-read
May 24, 2016
Shay
Shay marked it as to-read
May 09, 2016
Kayra
Kayra rated it really liked it
Apr 30, 2016
Doug Blankensop
Doug Blankensop rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
John
John rated it really liked it
Apr 15, 2016
Michael Harris
Michael Harris marked it as to-read
Apr 11, 2016
Daniel S
Daniel S rated it liked it
Mar 28, 2016
  • At Home in the Muddy Water: A Guide to Finding Peace Within Everyday Chaos
  • Essays in Zen Buddhism, First Series
  • Zen Training: Methods And Philosophy
  • Nothing Special
  • Buddhism After Patriarchy: A Feminist History, Analysis, and Reconstruction of Buddhism
  • A Journey in Ladakh: Encounters with Buddhism
  • World as Lover, World as Self
  • Mindfulness with Breathing: A Manual for Serious Beginners
  • A Heart as Wide as the World: Stories on the Path of Lovingkindness
  • Sex, Sin, and Zen: A Buddhist  Exploration of Sex from Celibacy to Polyamory and Everything In Between
  • Zen Action/Zen Person