Start by marking “Gollum: How We Made Movie Magic” as Want to Read:
Gollum: How We Made Movie Magic

Gollum: How We Made Movie Magic

4.21 of 5 stars 4.21  ·  rating details  ·  1,268 ratings  ·  17 reviews
Film-making history was made when, in The Two Towers, an actor's performance and digital animation were seamlessly integrated to create the world's first totally lifelike computer-generated character. Now Andy Serkis tells his own story about how a three-week commission to provide a voiceover for Gollum grew into a five-year commitment to breathe life and soul into The Lor ...more
Published December 22nd 2003 by Mariner Books (first published January 1st 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Gollum, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Gollum

The Hobbit by J.R.R. TolkienThe Fellowship of the Ring by J.R.R. TolkienThe Return of the King by J.R.R. TolkienThe Two Towers by J.R.R. TolkienThe Silmarillion by J.R.R. Tolkien
Middle Earth
23rd out of 127 books — 52 voters
We Got Zombies On The Lawn Again, Ma by Donnie  SmithThe Mayonnaise Affair by Frank LinnCandy Girl by Diablo CodyStiff by Mary RoachI Am America by Stephen Colbert
Pop My Culture
67th out of 118 books — 28 voters

More lists with this book...

Chris
Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings movies spark debate. You have the wonderful people who say, "they're too long and have things with pointy ears. Yuck!". You have people who say, "the books are better" (and these people are right). You have people who say, "the books are better and Jackson should meet a Balrog in a dark alley".

But I like to think most of us are like me. Yes, the books are better, but the movies were cool too.

We can quibble about what got left in and taken out. (No, I don't miss
Ariana
An editing nightmare. I picked up this book because I love "making-of" featurettes about movies and I thought this would be similar. Ugh. The editing of a book has never stood out to me so much before, and it was NOT in a good way.

For starters, as commendable and inspired as Andy Serkis's performance as Gollum was, his writing is average, even in final book form. He frequently brings up things that are irrelevant to the story he is telling, and even uses the same example to illustrate his point
Margaret
Lovely little book which is basically an abbreviated diary of Andy Serkis' time creating Gollum in the LOTR trilogy of movies.

Much information for the technically minded and for Tolkien geeks.

Gorgeously illustrated with scenes from the movies and MANY behind the scenes shots.

Wonderful.
Lucinda
A fascinating look at one of the most interesting characters within ‘The Lord of the Rings’

Indisputably distinctive and intriguing, Gollum/ Sméagol has to be one of the most fascinating creatures that dwells upon Middle-Earth with his past partly remaining a mystery. I was delighted to find a single volume dedicated to this slippery character who was central to Frodo’s journey, and was the most complex of all creatures ~ topping the Dwarves, Elves and Wizards! It is the fact that instead of just
J. Bryce
Andy Serkis's own story about how he was hired to "voice" Gollum in Peter Jackson's film trilogy of The Lord of The Rings, and how that voicing changed and evolved as both his potential, and that of the CG crew, evolved to full fruition. Cover The Fellowship of the Ring well, and The Two Towers, but there's not much here on The Return of the King, and of course nothing on The Hobbit. But if you're into filmmaking, and the LotR films, you'll find this fascinating.

There's even hope, according to a
LinTu
I've always loved behind the scenes stuff and this book was able to give me a glimpse behind the curtains of one of the best movies I've ever seen. The good thing is that it's written by one of the actors, not by a writer or by a journalist, but by a person who was actually there. Andy Serkis is an amazing actor and he's an amazing writer. He was able to make me believe I was on the set too. He also helped me understand the process of movie-making and he answered a lot of questions I had about t ...more
C.C.R. Sorge
very interesting.
Anna-Marie
Feb 26, 2008 Anna-Marie rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Lord of the Rings fans.
This book is great. It's by Andy Serkis who played gollum in the Lord of the Rings as most of you probably know. Its really his Lord of the Rings story and a American actors view of New Zealand I found it really funny being from New Zealand. But its great and worth reading.
Discoverylover
I finished this just now, and wow, what an interesting book! I thought I'd seen this in shops, but if I have then I've obviously never opened it up (more fool me!), thinking it was something completely different.

Have to say kudos to Andy Serkis for managing to explain what he did so well, and in such an interesting manner as well. If there were more I'd definitely read them!
Rose
Filled with interesting facts and lots of humor, this is the #1 place to go for a behind-the-scenes look at the creation of Gollum from The Lord of the Rings films. Actor Andy Serkis gives an engaging and humorous first-hand experience of his performance and the digital animation that brought Gollum to life. A must-read for all LOTR fans!
Sofia
Of all the "behind the scenes" books (with the exception of the "Art" ones) this is probably the most interesting. It's not just photos and little comments, it's a real description by Andy Serkis of how Gollum was created: the challenges, the technical solutions, the script and Andy Serkis' experience and "voyage" with the character.
Andrée
A wonderful insight, written by Andy Serkis, into the world of creating Gollum. I thought it was a brilliant read, and it just added to my enjoyment and appreciation of the masterpieces that were the Lord of the Rings films.
Clare
For those interested in Jackson’s The Lord of the Rings or a seminal stage in the art of motion capture, Gollum: How We Made Movie Magic is a treat. A very specific treat.
Wilton314
Loved the novels. Loved the movies. Love this book as it takes the reader behind the scenes for an intimate, first hand look at how movie magic is made.
Chris Eller
I love behind the scenes books an features and this one doesn't disappoint.
Allison
My copy of this is also signed: 5 stars. ;-)
Kolby
Jan 28, 2010 Kolby added it
i like my smegles.
Jacob Merz
Jacob Merz marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Steffi
Steffi added it
Dec 25, 2014
Christopher York
Christopher York marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
Elisaelliot
Elisaelliot marked it as to-read
Dec 23, 2014
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Making of the Movie Trilogy
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Art of The Two Towers
  • The Lord of the Rings: The Two Towers Visual Companion
  • The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Chronicles II: Creatures & Characters
  • There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale
  • The Rough Guide to the Lord of the Rings: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Middle-Earth
  • The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings: The Amazing Myths, Legends and Facts Behind the Masterpiece
  • The Lord of the Rings: A Reader's Companion
  • Understanding The Lord of the Rings: The Best of Tolkien Criticism
  • Tolkien's Ring
  • The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All
  • Realms of Tolkien: Images of Middle-earth
  • The Lord of the Rings: Weapons and Warfare
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies
  • The Complete Tolkien Companion
Andy Serkis is a British actor, producer and director best known for his role as the schizophrenic Hobbit-like creature known as Gollum in Peter Jackson's Lord of the Rings Trilogy. Serkis returned to the role briefly in the first part of Jackson's The Hobbit Trilogy. On The Hobbit Trilogy trilogy, Serkis is the director of the second unit.

Serkis is known for mostly his Motion Capture work but has
More about Andy Serkis...
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey - Chronicles II: Creatures & Characters