A.I. Apocalypse (Singularity, #2)

A.I. Apocalypse (Singularity #2)

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  840 ratings  ·  95 reviews
Leon Tsarev is a high school student set on getting into a great college program, until his uncle, a member of the Russian mob, coerces him into developing a new computer virus for the mob’s botnet - the slave army of computers they used to commit digital crimes.

The evolutionary virus Leon creates, based on biological principles, is successful -- too successful. All the wo...more
Published May 24th 2012 by liquididea press (first published March 1st 2012)

To ask other readers questions about A.I. Apocalypse, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A.I. Apocalypse

Michael Wood Jr.
Aug 06, 2012 Michael Wood Jr. rated it 1 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: No one
Recommended to Michael by: Goodreads Give-a-way
Overall: 1 out of 5 stars

Being an aspiring writer myself makes these types of reviews very hard to do. If I am also going to be "The Critical Critic" which I very much enjoy and like to be a gatekeeper of quality, then I have no choice.

I only read the first few chapters of A.I. Apocalypse and skimmed the rest because it was simply all I could take. No matter how much William Hertling wanted to write a good story or had good ideas, there is simply no way that he can look someone in the eye and sa...more
Raúl Beristáin
Not bad. It was entertaining enough that I got the sequel, but not so much that I'd go back and pick the first in the series. Characters are not very deeply developed but their motivations and actions are consistent.

On the negative side, the author suffers from acute US-centrism and a lot of stereotypes and common-places transported verbatim from US mainstream television and cinema. Language is not very rich even after spicing it up with phrases in other tongues. Hertling tends to tell as much a...more
Eliot Peper
William Hertling is a software security consultant who's recently started to pump out some of the most interesting techno-thrillers out there. A.I. Apocalypse is the follow up to Hertling's breakout hit Avogadro Corp that follows the development of a rogue artificial intelligence by a Google-like company (techies will notice the clever play on Google's name).

A.I. Apocalypse follows the release of a computer virus developed along the foundations of evolutionary biology. The book is a thrilling p...more
Tac Anderson
This is the second book in a trilogy by William Hertling. The first book was Avogadro Corp the third book, The Last Firewall comes out later this month. So far both books are excellent and from everything I've heard about the third book, it's even better.

William is a programer. Because of that the situations in this book are very plausible; frighteningly so. The only possible downside is that there is a lot of explanations in this book. If you're a geek, you will probably really like the explan...more
Rushi
A.I. Apocalypse is Mr. Hertling's second book and a direct sequel to "Avogadro Corp".

The plot starts when a Leon, a gifted teenager, inadvertently unleashes a virus that spawns an entire civilisation of A.I.s. We are re-acquainted with Mike Williams and the (now rather cute, loveable and just a little creepy) ELOPe from "Avogadro Corp".

I quite enjoyed the first half of the book where the author describes how the A.I.s evolve, how their civilisation was organised and the fallout of all this hap...more
Jerry Ward
A few years back the press and the book world were filled with “nuclear winter” stories: mankind had finally found a technology—the atomic bomb—that was beyond our ability to control and the whole world was vulnerable, very dangerously vulnerable. There has been little such reaction so far to the invention of the transistor. Mr. Hertling’s book tells us that perhaps there should be, that we may have reached the stage of development such that computers can think and act independently of their hum...more
Violet Siegius
Man this book kept me going!!

I loved the first book and decided, okay, I'm going to read the rest of this series and pray humans don't die out by the end... and so I read this and guess what?

I love this one too!

Now, I will admit, its realism was a bit off in some parts in terms of tech factoids, but the overall skeleton of the story was just so captivating.

Great read, it did what I want every book to do to me: make me enter my own creative abyss and just ponder.

Nicko
I had no problem with how technical this book was. Mainly because the technical verbiage did not really make a lot of sense.

So if you are able to move past the main plot point of the story (the fact that the main character can create a virus that becomes self-aware and the programming took about three days of rushed coding to complete) then you are in for a really good pace of action.

I am not going to fault Hertling much about that because I know that he is not writing a damn manual for softwar...more
William Hertling
This is the sequel to Avogadro Corp. Whereas Avogadro Corp explored what might happen if an artificial intelligence was created in the next future years in a large corporation, A.I. Apocalypse explored what would happen about fifteen years in the future, by a teenage computer hacker.

A.I. Apocalypse features a complete civilization of A.I..

Mike
William Hertling has done it again. The second novel in his series is an excellent follow-up to his first book. We are further in the future, and AI have evolved... An intriguing and thought-provoking story of AI emergence, and what it could mean to society.
This book is one of those that you just can't seem to put down.
R.S. Jinks
I devoured this book. I stayed up late reading, not caring that I had work the next day. It's filled to the brim with technical mumbo jumbo, yet I was easily able to follow the story. I wish I had my own A. I. This book is awesome.
Kelly
My Rating: 3.0

Obtained: Through Goodreads First Reads

During high school, I found myself stuck in the Computer Science major where I learned so many programming languages and computer terms. When I requested - and won - A.I. Apocalypse, I was looking forward to reading it, mainly because it had such an interesting plot. A high school kid creating a virus that eventually takes over the world? Who can give up a book like that?

As I was reading A.I. Apocalypse I realized how scary it would be if...more
Mark
Hertling has got a rather good story to tell with A.I. Apocalypse and I recommend you grab this book to read on a nice quiet afternoon. The character development was top-notch, and aside from a few points I thought some of the characters were going off the rails (and by this, I mean I got invested in the characters and thought they were making bad choices, just like a real person), it was a really good read.

The tech was written in a manner that allowed me to stay engaged without having to slog...more
Wayne
I liked this sequel better than the first book, and it makes me wish there were partial stars that could be awarded, as this book rates at least a 4.5. Very little, in fact, keeps it from being a 5 star, so maybe I would call this a five star in spirit review. A.I. Apocalypse takes a sizable shift from the first novel, in that it happens a decade later and only a few characters overlap from the first installment. This shift in expectations, plus a few hard to bridge stretches of believability (e...more
Mitchell
Wow. That was a surprising book. Book 2 of a series by a fairly new author of which I have not read the first book. I read this one for the Endeavour Award and had to ask the library to buy it. It is yet another AI's emerge - this time from viruses. And it starts off a bit slow and kind of poorly written. But then wham. Does this book work for everyone? Well probably not. But like with Demon/Freedom its written now-ish - well a bit in the future but not by much. And it makes sense to me. It desc...more
Brandy Jennings
A pretty good sci-fi read.

I really enjoyed this book. It kept me interested throughout. I was always curious to see where everything was going. I was a bit disappointed with the conclusion. It just kind of ended. A lot of activity was going on, and then nothing. It was worth what I paid for it though! I would have paid more. (I got it for free,but would have paid a couple bucks for it. It was enticing to get for free. I might never have read it otherwise.) I'm glad I read it. It kind of makes yo...more
Carol
Finally, a computer oriented futuristic book written by someone that knows what he is talking about!
Loved this book, couldn't p.out it down until it was finished. Never read the first one in this series but it didn't seem to matter. Being a nerd myself, usually books about computer hackers etc really annoy me because the authors are more often than not half baked in their ideas or woefully behind the eight ball in their knowledge level. This author, on the other hand is another H.G. Wells!! Well...more
Gary Sedivy
Didn't realize this was the second in the series. I cannot give it more than three stars. The characters were cardboard cutouts. There was too much techno-babble, too little character development, and the crisis points too quickly wrapped. Some of the 'battle' scenes were not convincing - a major final battle that raged for several pages only took 'twelve minutes' real-time to rise, reach crisis, and be concluded. Yet, with all the planes, tanks, missiles, satellites, and equipment being thrown...more
D R
It is the plot that made me give the book a 4 star rating. Reading it was like an Express-way cruise. William Hertling is undoubtedly a good storyteller. Yet I felt, the concerns consequent to the invasion of Phage failed to impact me as it ought to have. I also had to gloss over editorial lapses here and there. All said and done, 'A.I. Apocalypse' is a must-read for anyone who uses a computer.
Michael Brookes
So I started reading this before realising that this was the second book in the series. It didn't spoil my enjoyment of the story at all as it stands well on its own. The first book is now on my TBR list as I suspect that it will be as good a read as this one was.

One of the strengths of science fiction is that it often tackles big ideas and this book engages with one of my favourites. Two in fact, the first being artificial intelligence and the second the evolution of artificial life. And on the...more
Richard
A great followon to Avogadro Corp, and probably the better book. The development of an AI due to the battle between virus and anti virus software seems somewhat more plausible than a glorified spelling correction routine. Some of the AI dialog seems a bit, well, patient, when the author is trying to make social commentary, but other scenes of AI to AI interaction truly seem what it would be like if humans were bystanders to the real decision making of the world.
Lovely Rita
I'm going to review this as a series - because I think this first book really sets up the 2nd and 3rd books, which I found really compelling, particularly Book 2. Book 1 is sort of a "what if Google accidentally created an AI" but the ramifications of that, which mostly play out in book 2, turn out to be really interesting.

I think the story, the development of ideas, and the writing improve throughout the series and I would definitely recommend it.
Tracy
Jun 09, 2014 Tracy rated it 1 of 5 stars
Shelves: scifi
I bought A.I. Apocalypse on Amazon when it was either free or $0.99. The premise sounded interesting and, while Sci-Fi is not at the top of my reading list, I've found the possibility of an Artificial Intelligence takeover interesting since Philosophy 101. Unfortunately, this book missed the mark for me.

The first couple of chapters really had me hooked. Leon seemed to be a legitimately interesting character and his run-in with the Russian mob had me on the edge of my seat! His friends were equal...more
Juanita Davis
Initially I had a difficult time being lost in this book. Once I realized that elopE was a main character, it got much easier. There were many scenarios going on at one time, tons of futuristic techie fun, and war simulations. Good times!

For the guy that had a problem with the whine of electric cars... That would be an inexpensive, low - tech way to make sure a blind person could 'see' them, I would think.
Sean Randall
Brilliant, picking up some years after Avogadro and focusing on a younger main character really shifts the viewpoint cleverly in this most interesting of series. The technology has come on greatly, and the Elope interaction is just what I'd expect from Hertling, who's doing a splendid job factoring a new future into place having birthed an artificial intelligence.
Brandon Venery
I absolutely loved this book. This was one of those books that was so fascinating that it could not be put down. I finished it in one sitting. It did get fairly predictable about two-thirds of the way through the book, but the whole concept behind the book was very intriguing. I personally look forward to our AI powered overlords.
Sumomi (Privater Account)
enjoyed reading it. combines exciting concepts.
makes a good base for further discussions.

would rate 4.5 stars due to some small issues in the logic I stumbled on while reading, but as the overall impression is very good, I'm rounding in the author's favor :)
Kat Nicholson
I did enjoy this book immensely, the story is fast paced and compelling. I did however get a little lost in the jargon. I'm a bit of a Luddite and couldn't really follow all the computer speak.
Sam Hailer
Started this book in the morning read late in to the night, dreamt about viruses and woke early to finish.
Awesome book, kept me engaged(Mostly coz im a computer specialist). One of my best reads this year.
Bruno
Better than the first book. It paints an interesting world where AIs exist, and some of the consequences. However, it falls a bit flat in character development, and the tech is just a bit too close to now to be interesting on its own right.

There are two moments where I found it unbelievable to the point of distraction: (view spoiler). There's also the apocalypse itself which is anticlimatic.

• Crux (Nexus, #2)
  • Artificial Evil (The Techxorcist, #1)
  • After: First Light (After, #0.5)
  • Kill Decision
  • Post-Human Trilogy
  • Amped
  • The Twelve Stones
  • Wick (Wick, #1)
  • Trojan Horse  (Jeff Aiken #2)
  • Under the Amoral Bridge (The Bridge Chronicles, #1)
  • The Metamorphosis of Prime Intellect
  • Nine Lives (Sam Archer, #1)
  • Sleepers
  • The Valhalla Call (Hayden War Cycle #4)
  • Dawn of Destiny (Epic, #1)
  • Life Among the Dead
  • Burden of Sisyphus (Brink of Distinction, #1)
  • Bypass Gemini
Avogadro Corp (Singularity, #1) The Last Firewall (Singularity #3) Indie & Small Press Book Marketing The Case of the Wilted Broccoli

“We regret that we cannot return them to you,” Sister Stephens responded. “We now live in them. All your computer are belong to us.” 0 likes