Start by marking “Cooking by Hand” as Want to Read:
Cooking by Hand

Cooking by Hand

4.53  ·  Rating Details  ·  131 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews
One of the most respected chefs in the country, Paul Bertolli earns glowing praise for the food at California’s renowned Oliveto restaurant. Now he shares his most personal thoughts about cooking in his long-awaited book, Cooking by Hand. In this groundbreaking collection of essays and recipes, Bertolli evocatively explores the philosophy behind the food that Molly O’Neill ...more
Published August 19th 2003 by Clarkson Potter

To ask other readers questions about Cooking by Hand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Cooking by Hand

Bridget
Mar 02, 2015 Bridget rated it it was amazing
one of my favorite cookbooks. it's probably more writing about food than it is recipes, but it's really awesome for anyone interested in traditional italian cooking. it's worth it for the pasta section alone.

note to my vegan friends: as you're the only ones who i think look at my reviews i thought i'd mention that this book has some interesting stuff for you but the majority of it isn't vegan friendly.
Dave
Apr 27, 2011 Dave rated it it was amazing
Shelves: reference
In addition to Ruhlman's Ratio, this is a book that will always have the status "currently reading." Every time I read a section, I learn something new. I recently spent some time in the pasta chapter. I was surprised that a book with this title mentioned nothing about rolling pasta by hand, all that's discussed are machine methods, but it is still a tome of knowledge.

The brief discussion of flour is concentrated with good facts about the various grains from the hardest durum wheat to the relat
Matt
Nov 04, 2007 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-food
For a very formative period of my career I cooked for an (unnamed here) madman who had been Bertolli's sous-chef. One of the first things he had me do--after instructing me to forget all the crap I thought I knew about food and cooking--was read this book.
I wish I could thank him for that.
"Cooking by Hand" is really a fantastic cookbook. It may be the best-written cookbook (and one of the best written BOOKS) I've ever read. Bertolli's food has so much more soul than most of his contemporaries
Peter
Aug 06, 2008 Peter rated it it was amazing
This is a beautiful book by a master of the craft. Bertolli has been an unsung chef in the US because he has been busy cooking and writing evidently. He is really the chef that put Chez Panissse on the map, co-authoring the Menus cookbook with Alice Waters. This book is full of dense and technical information, as well as heartfelt and goofy writing. A great book for people who care about food and what it can mean.
erik
Feb 23, 2007 erik rated it really liked it

Paul Bertolli is awesome, and this book is full of scattered gems, but it's organized in such a schizophrenic manner that it's hard to get anything out of it without effort. You can't really use it as a reference book; you have to read it from cover to cover, and then pray you can retain some of his ideas.

That said, it still gets 4 stars because of its sections on pasta (the gnocchi!) and on curing and sausage making. Those sections alone would be worth the cover price.
Marjorie Elwood
Sep 02, 2014 Marjorie Elwood rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
By far the largest portion of this book is a compendium of recipes for fairly esoteric foods, such as balsamic vinegar and an assortment of divine cured meats. Had the author left it at that, I would have given this a 4-star rating. But he concluded with a "conversation with a glass of wine", in which the wine, the radicchio, and various other foodstuffs chat with the author. A mite too precious for me.
Mihai
Jan 20, 2015 Mihai rated it it was amazing
Great cookbook - not as focused on cooking by hand as the title would suggest. A wealth of italian recipes - from the most simple dishes with a couple of ingredients to complete menus and wine pairings.
Gabe
Aug 18, 2011 Gabe rated it it was amazing
Probably on of my favorite books on the culinary arts. Beautifully written and great philosophy-of-cooking kind of stuff. Inspirational and educational at the same time.
Jonny
Jan 24, 2008 Jonny rated it it was amazing
one of my three favorite cookbooks. Essential
Andrew
Andrew rated it it was amazing
Aug 20, 2016
patricia masters
patricia masters rated it it was amazing
Aug 18, 2016
Kitren Glozer
Kitren Glozer rated it liked it
Aug 17, 2016
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Aug 17, 2016
Meg Metropoulos
Meg Metropoulos marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2016
catemacho
catemacho rated it it was amazing
Aug 07, 2016
Karie Watts
Karie Watts marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2016
doreen correia
doreen correia marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2016
Julie
Julie marked it as to-read
Jul 18, 2016
Clarke Comollo
Clarke Comollo rated it really liked it
Jul 13, 2016
Czarina Sico
Czarina Sico rated it it was amazing
Jul 12, 2016
Donghyun
Donghyun rated it it was amazing
Jul 11, 2016
Kym
Kym added it
Jul 08, 2016
Sandi Rivet
Sandi Rivet marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2016
Doug Schneidmiller
Doug Schneidmiller rated it really liked it
Jun 23, 2016
Joseph
Joseph rated it it was amazing
Jun 22, 2016
Joseph Hickey
Joseph Hickey rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2016
Ben Conklin
Ben Conklin rated it really liked it
Jun 12, 2016
Nik Michael Imran
Nik Michael Imran marked it as to-read
Jun 09, 2016
Jason
Jason rated it it was amazing
Jun 09, 2016
Jess Xu
Jess Xu marked it as to-read
Jun 04, 2016
  • Simple French Food
  • Forgotten Skills of Cooking: The Lost Art of Creating Delicious Home Produce, with Over 600 Recipes
  • Chez Panisse Fruit
  • Japanese Cooking: A Simple Art
  • The Savory Way
  • Mourad: New Moroccan
  • Tender: Volume II: A Cook's Guide to the Fruit Garden
  • Honey from a Weed: Fasting and Feasting in Tuscany, Catalonia, the Cyclades and Apulia
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia