Start by marking “How the Canyon Became Grand: A Short History” as Want to Read:
How the Canyon Became Grand: A Short History

How the Canyon Became Grand: A Short History

3.49 of 5 stars 3.49  ·  rating details  ·  43 ratings  ·  8 reviews
Dismissed by the first Spanish explorers as a wasteland, the Grand Canyon lay virtually unnoticed for three centuries until nineteenth- century America rediscovered it and seized it as a national emblem. This extraordinary work of intellectual and environmental history tells two tales of the Canyon: the discovery and exploration of the physical Canyon and the invention and ...more
Published July 28th 1999 by Penguin Books (first published 1998)

To ask other readers questions about How the Canyon Became Grand, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about How the Canyon Became Grand

Josh
I saw the Grand Canyon for the first time last summer. I thought, "Wow, it looks just like the pictures." Then "it fills me with awe just like everyone says, just like I've seen people react in movies." Then I spent minutes trying to take it in and being genuinely moved. I assumed that my reaction was typical, universal. It is now, but as Stephen Pyne explains, it was not always so.

When the Spanish first saw it in the 1500s, they peered over the rim, saw nothing of value, and left. Other Europe
Bob Finch
Dec 13, 2014 Bob Finch rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommended to Bob by: geologists, artists, history buffs
Shelves: history
This brief, insightful and compelling narrative about how the "idea" of the Grand Canyon has evolved over time is a real gem. Pyne writes with a clarity that is rare, with gentle wit, compassion, and prose that border on the poetic. Bringing together cultural influences as experienced by explorers, scientists, writers, and painters, Pyne's delicious tale reveals the often surprising multi-layered impressions and meanings the Canyon has managed to impart on so many of those who have written about ...more
Claire
I really enjoyed this book! I enjoyed the geology, the art and the intellectual discussions. A lot of history here. The writer also has some beautiful descriptions that read like poetry.

"I have heard rumours of visitors who were disappointed. Thebsame people will be disappointed at the Day of Judgement. In fact, the Grand Canyon is a sort of landscape Day of Judgement. It is not a show place, a beauty spot, but a revelation." - J.B. Priestely (page 1)

"But nothing lead to the Canyon. It came as
Monica
Upon seeing the Grand Canyon for the first time two years ago, it was hard for me to know what to do. It feels strange to sit and stare for long stretches of time, but there it seems called for in order to take in all that is the Grand Canyon: the geological wonder, the roiling river, and the stark landscape. When perusing books in the gift shop on the South Rim, I was immediately drawn to Over the Edge: Death in the Grand Canyon. The concept of falling, jumping or tripping over the edge was int ...more
Bern J
Newsday said "This extraordinary book puts the national landmark in the context of nothing less than the intellectual history of western civilization-in 200 pages" and that's exactly what it does.
Have a dictionary along side, the author has a wide ranging vocabulary.
Excellent scholarship,well written,highly recommended.
Jeffrey
Interesting story of how the Grand Canyon was mapped, explored and studies by geologists, biologists and the like. It gave a story of how it became famous and an American icon. A bit dry though. This book was okay.
MattA
Just too dense. Had I been more familiar with the people or with the geology of the canyon, it might have been a good read. But as an introduction to the history of the canyon, I'm afraid it fails.
John
I now know way too much about the Grand Canyon.
Gmoney.gold
Gmoney.gold marked it as to-read
Mar 21, 2015
Marta
Marta marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2015
Jim Voss
Jim Voss marked it as to-read
Feb 16, 2015
Mark
Mark marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Dennis
Dennis added it
Nov 12, 2014
Kate Zdenek
Kate Zdenek marked it as to-read
Oct 30, 2014
Danielle
Danielle marked it as to-read
Oct 16, 2014
James
James marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Amanda Coussoule
Amanda Coussoule marked it as to-read
Oct 09, 2014
Mary Rhodes
Mary Rhodes marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Lindsey E.  Stout
Lindsey E. Stout marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Marshall
Marshall marked it as to-read
Aug 09, 2014
Peggy
Peggy marked it as to-read
Jun 23, 2014
Amy
Amy marked it as to-read
Jun 22, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Voyager: Seeking Newer Worlds in the Third Great Age of Discovery Year of the Fires: The Story of the Great Fires of 1910 Fire in America: A Cultural History of Wildland and Rural Fire Voice & Vision: A Guide to Writing History and Other Serious Nonfiction Fire: A Brief History