Start by marking “Preparedness Now!: An Emergency Survival Guide for Civilians and Their Families” as Want to Read:
Preparedness Now!: An Emergency Survival Guide for Civilians and Their Families

Preparedness Now!: An Emergency Survival Guide for Civilians and Their Families

3.47 of 5 stars 3.47  ·  rating details  ·  49 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Process' Self-Reliance Series guidebooks provide tools for self-sufficiency and personal protection at a time when extreme weather, terrorist attacks, and economic uncertainty have become the new realities of twenty-first-century life.

Volume 1 in the series is "PREPAREDNESS NOW!" by Aton Edwards, Executive Director of the NYC-based non-profit organization, International Pr
Published April 1st 2006 by Process

To ask other readers questions about Preparedness Now!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preparedness Now!

Tinea
A very wordy manual for the modern bomb shelter enthusiast with an unlimited budget, the desire to carry pounds of metal escape equipment on one's person at all times, and a home big enough to secret away hundreds of gallons of water and a 6 month supply of food. It was fun to read and I learned a lot about nuclear contamination. Edwards' consistent promotion of non-toxic and environmentally-friendly decontamination and such was nice (including the list of environmental non-profits at the end). ...more
Valerie
There's a lot of helpful information in this book, but also a lot of really fucked up ideas, such as the virulent fat phobia and the comment that eating disorders aren't real. I bought this book at REI because a salesperson recommended it, and I liked the format that makes it easy to find the info you need, but I already know which pages I'll burn as tinder when the SHTF.
Thea
Holy crap this book made me realize I'd probably be one of the first to lose it in a major disaster. Now, I feel like I'd be able to hold my own and help others out. Def worth checking out and keeping some of the tips Aton Edwards provides. Some of it is just really crazy shit... but you know he's going to be kicking it with the roaches long after most of us are gone.
Anastasia
Very alarmist and crazy . . . and yet also so full of common sense, practical ideas. There's no way the average person can do all of the stuff in this book, but it's worth a read to pull what you can from it and increase your own emergency preparation. Needs a lot of editing for typos, etc.
Jennifer Miera
I skimmed parts of this book. I think I'm just not in the mood to prepare anymore. Seemed practical and useful - a bit more "warrior" style preparedness rather than homemaker-preserve-your-own-food preparedness. Still, the sections on putting together evacuation kits was helpful.
Carissa
good but not great. This has some great knowledge, but the author is WAY too serious and in to the subject, and has lost his subjectivity. Not everyone is going to carry a huge pack of emergency equipment with them at all times.
Dan Starr
If you're looking to stock your survival/preparedness bookshelf with must-have titles, this isn't one of them. And the page stock is too heavy to use as toilet paper.
David
Good book for general information. Some things are a little extreme. Overall, there is some good information.
Angela Montgomery
Veers towards the Domesday Prepper mindset, but reasonable for the merely paranoid as well.
Scott
Scott marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2015
Catmampbell
Catmampbell marked it as to-read
Dec 24, 2014
Mike B
Mike B marked it as to-read
Dec 15, 2014
Kelly Hamric
Kelly Hamric marked it as to-read
Oct 24, 2014
Alanna
Alanna marked it as to-read
Oct 23, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl added it
Aug 03, 2014
Nzinga
Nzinga marked it as to-read
Jun 28, 2014
Arian Evans
Arian Evans marked it as to-read
Jun 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
PREPAREDNESS NOW!: An Emergency Survival Guide for Civilians and Their Families (Process Self-reliance) PREPAREDNESS NOW!: An Emergency Survival Guide (Expanded and Revised Edition) (Process Self-reliance Series) Preparedness Now!: An Emergency Survival Guide (Expanded and Revised Edition) (Revised) Urban Survival Manual: How to Protect Yourself, Your Home, and Your Business from Disasters, Terrorism, and Other Hazards