Start by marking “Preparedness Now!: An Emergency Survival Guide for Civilians and Their Families” as Want to Read:
Preparedness Now!: An Emergency Survival Guide for Civilians and Their Families

Preparedness Now!: An Emergency Survival Guide for Civilians and Their Families

3.58  ·  Rating Details  ·  53 Ratings  ·  8 Reviews
Process' Self-Reliance Series guidebooks provide tools for self-sufficiency and personal protection at a time when extreme weather, terrorist attacks, and economic uncertainty have become the new realities of twenty-first-century life.

Volume 1 in the series is "PREPAREDNESS NOW!" by Aton Edwards, Executive Director of the NYC-based non-profit organization, International Pr
Published April 1st 2006 by Process

To ask other readers questions about Preparedness Now!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Preparedness Now!

Tinea
Jan 20, 2012 Tinea rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: various-skills
A very wordy manual for the modern bomb shelter enthusiast with an unlimited budget, the desire to carry pounds of metal escape equipment on one's person at all times, and a home big enough to secret away hundreds of gallons of water and a 6 month supply of food. It was fun to read and I learned a lot about nuclear contamination. Edwards' consistent promotion of non-toxic and environmentally-friendly decontamination and such was nice (including the list of environmental non-profits at the end). ...more
Valerie
There's a lot of helpful information in this book, but also a lot of really fucked up ideas, such as the virulent fat phobia and the comment that eating disorders aren't real. I bought this book at REI because a salesperson recommended it, and I liked the format that makes it easy to find the info you need, but I already know which pages I'll burn as tinder when the SHTF.
Thea
Aug 05, 2008 Thea rated it it was amazing
Holy crap this book made me realize I'd probably be one of the first to lose it in a major disaster. Now, I feel like I'd be able to hold my own and help others out. Def worth checking out and keeping some of the tips Aton Edwards provides. Some of it is just really crazy shit... but you know he's going to be kicking it with the roaches long after most of us are gone.
Anastasia
Very alarmist and crazy . . . and yet also so full of common sense, practical ideas. There's no way the average person can do all of the stuff in this book, but it's worth a read to pull what you can from it and increase your own emergency preparation. Needs a lot of editing for typos, etc.
Jennifer Miera
Mar 04, 2010 Jennifer Miera rated it liked it
Shelves: adult-nonfiction
I skimmed parts of this book. I think I'm just not in the mood to prepare anymore. Seemed practical and useful - a bit more "warrior" style preparedness rather than homemaker-preserve-your-own-food preparedness. Still, the sections on putting together evacuation kits was helpful.
Carissa
May 04, 2011 Carissa rated it liked it
good but not great. This has some great knowledge, but the author is WAY too serious and in to the subject, and has lost his subjectivity. Not everyone is going to carry a huge pack of emergency equipment with them at all times.
David
Jul 13, 2009 David rated it liked it
Good book for general information. Some things are a little extreme. Overall, there is some good information.
Angela Montgomery
Dec 28, 2012 Angela Montgomery rated it really liked it
Veers towards the Domesday Prepper mindset, but reasonable for the merely paranoid as well.
Jon McGlone
Jon McGlone rated it it was amazing
Apr 09, 2016
Hideki
Hideki marked it as to-read
Mar 20, 2016
Dooz
Dooz added it
Feb 23, 2016
Ashley
Ashley marked it as to-read
Mar 13, 2016
Todd B.
Todd B. marked it as to-read
Feb 03, 2016
Sarah rated it liked it
Jan 25, 2016
Andrew Michaels
Andrew Michaels marked it as to-read
Jan 19, 2016
Tamara
Tamara marked it as to-read
Dec 09, 2015
Rens
Rens added it
Oct 04, 2015
Laura Fain
Laura Fain marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2015
A
A rated it really liked it
Aug 30, 2015
Jon
Jon added it
Sep 27, 2015
Izabela
Izabela marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2015
Brian Wood
Brian Wood marked it as to-read
Apr 19, 2015
Dustin
Dustin rated it liked it
Mar 16, 2015
Lindsay
Lindsay rated it really liked it
Feb 24, 2015
Joanne
Joanne rated it really liked it
Feb 15, 2015
Elizabeth Lacewell
Elizabeth Lacewell marked it as to-read
Feb 13, 2015
Anabundanceofsarah
Anabundanceofsarah rated it liked it
Jan 23, 2015
Gordy Whittaker
Gordy Whittaker rated it liked it
Jan 14, 2015