Start by marking “Time Out for Happiness” as Want to Read:
Time Out for Happiness

Time Out for Happiness

3.74 of 5 stars 3.74  ·  rating details  ·  104 ratings  ·  12 reviews
Published January 1st 1971 by Crowell

To ask other readers questions about Time Out for Happiness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Time Out for Happiness

Kressel Housman
As a fan of Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes , I was thrilled to discover another book about the Gilbreth family. While not as funny as the other two books, it was definitely as enjoyable and filled in more details. For one thing, it gave much more detail about the Motion Study system and how it affected society. It also gave family background going all the way back to great-grandparents. It even covered a bit about working with Hollywood for the film version of Cheaper by the Do ...more
Lydia
Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes are two of my favorite books, so I was very excited to stumble upon this book! However, I should have paid attention to the fact that Time out for Happiness was in the Biography section of my library while Belles on Their Toes was lumped in Nonfiction. Time out for Happiness is a book for someone researching the Gilbreths who desires a chronological, fact-based account of the family. It did recount a few stories I enjoyed that were not in the other b ...more
Stephanie
For fans of Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes, although not written in a humorous style. This book has more information about Frank and Lillie, both in their early years and after Frank's death. Also quite a bit about their careers and their pioneering of the field of motion study.
Liz
I enjoyed "Cheaper by the Dozen" and "Belles on Their Toes". This book offers further adventures of the Gilbreth family with more emphasis on the parents and, especially, the contributions of Lillian Moller Gilbreth to the field of engineering (today we would call it ergonomics)
Patsy Hollister
As much as I enjoyed reading (and often laughing out loud while doing so) Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes, this "less prettified" story of the amazing Gilbreth family and their parents was truly fascinating and enjoyable.
Melody
I may like this book better than the more famous Cheaper by the Dozen. This focuses on the mother of the dozen, and was written later by a more mature and reflective son. Very good.
Child960801
This book focuses more on the parents of the Gilbreth family; their upbringing and families of origin, their early careers/education, and their contributions to science.
Dawn Michelle

This was NOT a great book. No where near as good and funny and exciting as the first two. REALLY technical and most parts pretty boring. I was really disappointed!
Jenn
I love the Gilbreth family, but I can't get into this book. The first 2 were much better. Maybe I'll try again later, but for now, I have lost interest.
Catherine
It was very interesting to learn more about what made Lillian and Frank Gilbreth tick. They are a very interesting family with a lot to learn from.
Caitlinleah
after reading cheaper by the dozen again i thought i should read another gilbreth book. it really was quite interesting. they were quite the family.
Denice
Jill Porter
Jill Porter marked it as to-read
Mar 26, 2015
Janet Morris
Janet Morris marked it as to-read
Mar 18, 2015
Sue Williams
Sue Williams marked it as to-read
Feb 22, 2015
Marylynn Snyder
Marylynn Snyder marked it as to-read
Feb 18, 2015
Hollis
Hollis marked it as to-read
Jan 22, 2015
Michelle
Michelle marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Shraddha Kulkarni
Shraddha Kulkarni marked it as to-read
Jan 13, 2015
Mrchipping39
Mrchipping39 is currently reading it
Jan 08, 2015
Rosa Cline
Rosa Cline marked it as to-read
Jan 07, 2015
Nekka Rosales
Nekka Rosales marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
Jan Rofel
Jan Rofel marked it as to-read
Nov 25, 2014
  • Making Time: Lillian Moller Gilbreth, a Life Beyond "Cheaper by the Dozen"
  • Onions in the Stew
  • Alexander Hamilton: the Outsider
  • My Own Two Feet
  • Learning Joy from Dogs without Collars: A Memoir
  • The Raft
  • The Grand Tour: Letters and Photographs from the British Empire Expedition 1922
  • Harry S. Truman
Frank Bunker Gilbreth, Jr. (March 17, 1911 – February 18, 2001) was co-author, with his sister Ernestine, of Cheaper by the Dozen and Belles on Their Toes. Under his own name, he wrote Time Out for Happiness and Ancestors of the Dozen.

He was born in Plainfield, New Jersey, the 5th child (and first boy) of the 12 children born to efficiency experts Frank Gilbreth, Sr. and Lillian Moller Gilbreth, a
More about Frank B. Gilbreth Jr....
Cheaper by the Dozen Belles on Their Toes Cheaper by the Dozen (stageplay) Innside Nantucket I'm a Lucky Guy