Start by marking “Jim Elliot” as Want to Read:
Jim Elliot

Jim Elliot (Heroes of the Faith)

4.16  ·  Rating Details  ·  97 Ratings  ·  7 Reviews
People need inspiration like never before--stories of legendary, faith-filled heroes who met amazing obstacles with courage and even joy...stories of godly men and women who changed the world. Barbour's Heroes of the Faith series--in a new format at a new lower price--will inspire readers with the bravery, commitment, perseverance, and wisdom of these great Christian leade ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Barbour Publishing (first published October 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Jim Elliot, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Jim Elliot

Stephanie Ricker
Because I was remarkably ignorant (for a Christian) of the story, I read Heroes of the Faith: Jim Elliot by Susan Martins Miller after receiving it as a gift from my boyfriend.

SO. FRUSTRATING. Reading about Jim Elliot was almost painful—not because of what happened to him, but because of what an insufferable jerk he was for most of his life. I wanted to smack him the entire time. I also have mixed feelings about foreign missions anyway, and this brought all of those conflicting ideas to the for
Tim Baumgartner
I've heard of Jim Elliot's famous quote before: "He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose." This biography has been sitting and staring at me on the table next to my bed. I FINALLY picked it up to read on Easter and read 3/4 of it. It's so encouraging and inspiring to read of the lives of Christians who give their all for God for the advancement of His kingdom.

The ending was VERY surprising to me and I will leave it for you to find out. Check it out when you can!
Victoria
Apr 05, 2010 Victoria rated it liked it
Shelves: books-i-ve-read
There was a lot of background story as to the struggles of being extremely devoted to the beliefs he held on to while as a young man in high school in college and not being easily swayed by those around him, which I thought sounded very interesting considering how most kids get involved with whatever they feel like it in that age group. He sounded very inspiring and dedicated to God. I loved the development you got to learn about the relationship he had with his wife. You were also able to see t ...more
Shu Yi Lee
Feb 24, 2013 Shu Yi Lee rated it really liked it
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep
to gain what he cannot lose."

This biography of the life of Jim Elliot keenly engaged my attention and eventually, my respect. Jim Elliot lived a life that is transparent and that was wholly given over to God. My main takeaways was knowing that our lives may seem like failures, but God can still use us, and often, His plans and purposes are far beyond what we can now see and understand.
Jaclynn
Jan 30, 2008 Jaclynn rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-in-2008
I wasn’t sure if I’d get much more out of this book than I already had from other bios on Jim Elliot. But it was a great and would be good for someone younger to read as well. I learned a lot more about Jim’s life before he went to South America as well as the actual reason why the Aucas attacked him and fellow missionaries that fateful day.
Milan Homola
Sep 04, 2013 Milan Homola rated it really liked it
I couldn't put this book down. Not because it was profoundly written, rather due to the profound life it chronicled. I enjoyed how she revealed a real man who wasn't always perfect but he lived out a real pure faith that seems foreign in our 21st century culture.
Amy
Jan 06, 2011 Amy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone
Recommended to Amy by: my mom
Shelves: biography
This story really touched me.How 1 man and his friends could make a diffrence in an indian tribe.When Jim and his friends get killed by the same tribe,I learned about forgivness even in the tough times.
Erik Pintar
Erik Pintar rated it really liked it
May 29, 2016
Alyssa Wohlever
Alyssa Wohlever marked it as to-read
May 22, 2016
Emma Womble
Emma Womble rated it it was amazing
Apr 16, 2016
Ryan Brandenberger
Ryan Brandenberger marked it as to-read
Apr 10, 2016
Stephen
Stephen rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2016
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
Mar 28, 2016
Karen A Holcomb
Karen A Holcomb rated it it was amazing
Mar 24, 2016
Dot McEntire
Dot McEntire rated it it was amazing
Mar 13, 2016
Nikhil Nicolas
Nikhil Nicolas marked it as to-read
Feb 25, 2016
Amy Hook
Amy Hook marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2016
SAP
SAP marked it as to-read
Feb 10, 2016
Kristopher
Kristopher marked it as to-read
Feb 04, 2016
Susanna
Susanna rated it it was amazing
Jan 29, 2016
Emily
Emily rated it it was amazing
Jan 24, 2016
Scott Vickers
Scott Vickers marked it as to-read
Jan 24, 2016
Robert
Robert added it
Jan 18, 2016
Tony Ludlow
Tony Ludlow rated it it was ok
Jan 08, 2016
Beth
Beth added it
Jan 05, 2016
Brian
Brian rated it really liked it
May 02, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • David Livingstone
  • Fanny Crosby (1820-1915): The Hymn Writer (Heroes of the Faith)
  • The Case for Grace: A Journalist Explores the Evidence of Transformed Lives
  • William Carey: Obliged to Go
  • Bible and Mission: Christian Witness in a Postmodern World
  • Stories of the Pilgrims
  • Twice Pardoned
  • Cross-Cultural Servanthood: Serving the World in Christlike Humility
  • Ancient Rome: How It Affects You Today (Uncle Eric)
  • Spiritual Warfare: The Battle for God's Glory
  • Hero Tales
  • Peril and Peace: Chronicles of the Ancient Church (History Lives #1)
  • Biblical Economics: A Commonsense Guide to Our Daily Bread
  • Theology in the Context of World Christianity: How the Global Church Is Influencing the Way We Think about and Discuss Theology
  • Welcome to Molly's World · 1944: Growing Up in World War Two America (American Girls Collection)
  • Tortured for His Faith
  • Bourbon for Breakfast: Living Outside the Statist Quo
  • Breaking the Code: Understanding the Book of Revelation

Heroes of the Faith (1 - 10 of 30 books)
  • Corrie ten Boom (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Heroes of the Faith: Dietrich Bonhoeffer
  • Polycarp of Smyrna (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892) (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Samuel Morris: The Apostle of Simple Faith (Heroes of the Faith)
  • David Livingstone: The Pathfinder (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Corrie Ten Boom: Faith Triumphs (Heroes of the Faith)
  • Heroes of the Faith
  • Beloved Heroes Of The Faith (Heroes Of The Faith Series)
  • Heroes of the Faith