Start by marking “The Zuni Cafe Cookbook: A Compendium of Recipes and Cooking Lessons from San Francisco's Beloved Restaurant” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  2,363 Ratings  ·  50 Reviews
In The Zuni Café Cookbook, a book customers have been anticipating for years, chef and owner Judy Rodgers provides recipes for Zuni's most well-known dishes, ranging from the Zuni Roast Chicken to the Espresso Granita. But Zuni's appeal goes beyond recipes. Harold McGee concludes, "What makes The Zuni Café Cookbook a real treasure is the voice of Zuni's Judy Rodgers," whos ...more
Published September 17th 2002 by W. W. Norton & Company

To ask other readers questions about The Zuni Cafe Cookbook, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Zuni Cafe Cookbook

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony BourdainWaiter to the Rich and Shameless by Paul HartfordTable 21 by T. Rafael CiminoWaiter Rant by The WaiterAs the Matzo Ball Turns by Jozef Rothstein
Restaurant Reads
12th out of 67 books — 77 voters
The Joy of Cooking by Irma S. RombauerHow to Cook Everything by Mark BittmanMastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia ChildBetter Homes and Gardens New Cook Book by Better Homes and GardensMy Greek Traditional Cook Book 1 by Anna Othitis
Best Cookbooks
229th out of 972 books — 963 voters

More lists with this book...

Julie
May 16, 2011 Julie rated it liked it
Shelves: cookbook
In May 2010 I had the pleasure of eating at Zuni Cafe in San Francisco. Our meal was truly memorable for several reasons. The food was delicious, visually lovely & Impeccably served. One homeless person stood starring in at the diners, another homeless person received money from a diner who had chosen to sit outside to enjoy her meal. Eating such lovely food felt like a guilty pleasure. As for the cookbook, it is not one I would choose to own. The recipes such as Roasted Guinea Hen with Bay ...more
Stacy
Feb 20, 2011 Stacy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
This is quite the tome, both in size and quality of content. A veritable bible of cooking, this is the long-anticipated accumulation of years of cooking knowledge, beginning in France and extending to years working as a chef in the Bay area, including time spent at Chez Panisse and then of course, in developing the menu at the Zuni Cafe to reflect Judy Rodgers' own personality.

We made the Roast Chicken with Bread Salad for Valentine's Day. The recipe was several pages long, took 3 days to make,
Apr 03, 2014 Sarah added it
Shelves: cookbooks
I made the famous Zuni roasted chicken--it was really good, and not as hard as I thought it would be. I will definitely make this one again! I think the trick is to find a small bird, otherwise it will not cook in time!
Ashley
Aug 15, 2009 Ashley rated it it was amazing
Shelves: food
*Swoon* If I were traveling and could take only one book with me, I would have to choose between Don Quixote, The Gourmet Cookbook, and The Zuni Cafe Cookbook. Zuni Cafe strikes a balance between storytelling and instruction- gorgeous recipes, each worth lingering over in the text and over the stove (or chop block). Ms. Rodgers sometimes makes recipes more complicated than they might be, but the improvement in taste and texture validate her suggestions and make the extra time and effort complete ...more
Cherie
Apr 30, 2014 Cherie rated it it was ok
Honestly, I think I have cookbook fatigue. I read too many. While this was a lovely one, I have seen a lot of this done already. But if you don't read as many cookbooks as me, you'll love it. Also, many meat recipe.
Daisy
This morning I made the Roasted Polenta, a 7-line recipe of what to do with leftover polenta. Simple and delicious, with poached eggs.
After reading about the death of Judy Rodgers last year and how beloved her restaurant is, I decided to check this out from the library (again--I'd forgotten I'd already given it a half-hearted try). Now I think I need to own it.
I'm just browsing through it but I think her tips are valuable. There's stuff I never knew (and stuff I did know) but it looks like she
Dave Abad
Oct 17, 2014 Dave Abad rated it it was amazing
I had the fortunate opportunity to dine at the Zuni many moons ago and was, of course, stuck dumb by the utter deliciousness of the food and also thrilled by how simple/brilliant the preparations were. Now after reading the not quite cookbook I understand why.

I read that Judy Rodgers has died recently. The Zuni Cafe Cookbook certainly passes on her culinary legacy.

The three axioms of cooking... 1) Use the best ingredients possible, 2) Treat them with respect and 3) There are no shortcuts!

Denise
Apr 04, 2015 Denise rated it really liked it
Great recipes, written and timed as you naturally would cook. Would love more photos though!
Alena
Aug 16, 2015 Alena rated it it was amazing
So many lovely ideas for excellent "simple" food. Roast chicken and bread salad first up!
Barbara
Jan 29, 2016 Barbara rated it it was amazing
first cookbook i've actually read through. very good; more than just recipes
Nick Klagge
Jun 16, 2010 Nick Klagge rated it it was ok
Shelves: cookbooks
My review is based not on the recipes in this book (I've only tried a couple of them so far), but just on its quality as a "reading cookbook". The beginning gave me high hopes that it would be a great cover-to-cover read like Shizuo Tsuji. But aside from a couple of short sections, it's basically just recipes--decidedly not my favorite part of a cookbook.

Elise and I have made the fried eggs with breadcrumbs a couple of times and really like them. They are about twice as fun as normal fried eggs
Gretchen  Angela Boyer
I borrowed this book from the library because I had heard good reviews about it and was considering purchasing it, but after spending some time with it I have decided not to add it to my personal library. The author does offer some good insight into cooking technique and sizing up ingredients, but the recipes themselves are just not practical (nor economical) for everyday use, by calling for things such as white truffle oil, duck eggs, and fresh sardines. Great for planning a special meal, not f ...more
Tim
Jun 05, 2011 Tim rated it really liked it
Shelves: cookbooks
more narrative than recipe, the author is deft at combining a wholesome american sentiment into pretty upscale food. every recipe is replicable, which is why i would give this 4 stars, but none are terribly necessary...though i'm sure they're all delicious. who has pickled zante grapes on hand? ever? (though the recipe is in there so you can). but very well written and if you don't already own 40 cookbooks, or just like reading cookbooks, this is definitely worthwhile.
Karen
Jun 05, 2008 Karen rated it really liked it
I am only giving this 4 stars because I haven't the wherewithal to know if this should get 5 stars. Of course, I think it should have five stars. I got this after years of hearing about the restaurant and going to SF last year. It was a dream come true in some respects. I ate my last supper there before travelling home the next day. You can get lost in this book. Actual recipes I will make are not numerous but this is an education, like college is an education.
Anders
Dec 12, 2010 Anders rated it it was amazing
SO GOOD. We've made a bunch of stuff out of this and it's great. The roast chicken with bread salad recipe is transcendent. Her philosophy, which I thought I would hate but which I actually love, is "how can I make this more complicated?" So, you soak the currants in a mixture of warm water and red wine vinegar, for example. Which makes a subtle but stunning difference! Anyway, it's a great cookbook, check it out. Kasia got it really cheap on amazon ($7! new!)
Png
Jan 25, 2013 Png rated it really liked it
A GR recommendation.
A comprehensive guide for serious cooks. Instructions on tool selections, helpful tips and food guides are meticulously thought out (it even suggests wine for each dish - how superb!). The recipes "represents [The Zuni Cafe's] entire repertory" so if you love the restaurant...The recipes sounds delicious; however, one small criticism: being a dessert-lover, I was also hoping for better and unique recipes.
Overall, worth a look!
anne
Dec 09, 2015 anne added it
Shelves: food
Best instructions for making pastry.
Matt
Nov 04, 2007 Matt rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cooking-food
By now, we've all had some variation of most of the recipes in this book. Along with Chez Panisse and Oliveto, Zuni Cafe helped bring rustic Mediterranean cuisine into the forefront of American consciousness. Some of the recipes are amazing, but it's the basic stuff that I found most useful and applicable--and that is the stuff that will change your cooking . . . it's all about technique, people, not recipes.
Eva Luna
Apr 11, 2009 Eva Luna rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookery
Another library read, I ended up copying half the book to my online recipe archive. Zuni Cafe is a San Fransisco hot spot. The first recipe I tried was shrimp romanesco, which is an Provencal Italian dish. You make a paste of crusty bread, toasted ancho chiles and a plethora of spices. After baking this paste,you toss in the shrimp and saute. Scrumptious. The seafood and vegetable dishes sound divine.
erik
Feb 23, 2007 erik rated it it was amazing

This is more than a cookbook. It's a compendium of philosophies with contextual stories and recipes to back them up. I don't even know if there's a single reciple in the first 50 pages. Judy Rodgers is so opinionated and so passionate about her subject that every time I get near this book, it's hard not to cancel all my plans for the night, grab a box of salt, and cook all night long.
Erin
Jul 08, 2013 Erin rated it liked it
Interesting cookbook, but there is almost nothing in here that I want to cook. It would be a fun cookbook for someone without kids and with a large budget and ample free time to prepare the time-intensive recipes, most of which require speciality ingredients. That said, I have made the roast chicken several times, and it is amazing (Google "Zuni roast chicken").
Amanda
Nov 13, 2015 Amanda rated it liked it
I picked this up at the library on the recommendation of Michael Ruhlman. I trust his judgement when it comes to cooking and food. This is a very good cookbook and I enjoyed flipping through it, but do not feel the need to add it to my collection. I'd love to visit the restaurant to have some of these dishes, rather than make them myself.
Martha Smith
Feb 13, 2012 Martha Smith rated it did not like it
Shelves: cookbooks
The recipes in this book are delicious. I made some of them for my friends. The cookbook got great reviews for its recipes. The book will teach you how to cook the Standard American Diet and you will follow principals that will be detrimental to your long-term health.
Rachael Richardson
Jun 23, 2007 Rachael Richardson rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: folks who like to cook.
Shelves: cookbooks
Learned: how to prepare all kinds of vegetables and meats. How to choose vegetables at the store. How to use less seasoning to make more flavor. Mmmm. A whole bunch of delightful dishes.

My review: If you have time on your hands and like to cook, check it out.
Anna
Jun 05, 2007 Anna rated it it was amazing
The introduction of this book will convince anyone, cook or not, that being in the kitchen and creating food will change your life.

That said, this is the hardest and most precise cookbook ever written, I would recommend it more for reading and not use.
angi
Jul 20, 2008 angi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cookbooks
i haven't even read this whole book but the recipe for zuni roast chicken w/ bread salad alone is worth the price of this book. once you've read this book and tried salting meats early before cooking, you'll never go back.
Allison
Aug 08, 2007 Allison rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Serious cooks
Shelves: cookbooks
This has a some gorgeous, stunning, complicated recipes. I don't reach for it often but when I do, I have never been sad. I can only give this a three though because of the complexity of the recipes.
Catherine Woodman
The restaurant is outstanding and the cookbook does it justice--a beuatiful volume, produced long after they were established, and the simple approach to cooking is very appealing--and delicious
Freyja
Sep 04, 2007 Freyja rated it it was amazing
This book fundamentally changed how I cook. The recipes are somewhat lengthy and insane but the ones I have made have been very worthwhile (the chicken stock alone is an education.)
I LOVE this cookbook! (In it is my favorite pie crust recipe.) It is brilliant and full of local, fresh flavors and useable techniques. The photos are magical.
  • Sunday Suppers at Lucques: Seasonal Recipes from Market to Table
  • A Platter of Figs and Other Recipes
  • Chez Panisse Vegetables
  • Hot Sour Salty Sweet: A Culinary Journey Through Southeast Asia
  • Bouchon
  • All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
  • The New Book of Middle Eastern Food
  • Sauces: Classical and Contemporary Sauce Making
  • Cradle of Flavor: Home Cooking from the Spice Islands of Indonesia, Singapore, and Malaysia
  • Bistro Cooking
  • The Slow Mediterranean Kitchen: Recipes for the Passionate Cook
  • The Whole Beast: Nose to Tail Eating
  • Land of Plenty: A Treasury of Authentic Sichuan Cooking
  • The Babbo Cookbook

“Raw ingredients trump recipes every time; farmers and ranchers who coax the best from the earth can make any of us appear to be a great cook.” 4 likes