Start by marking “Lola Rose” as Want to Read:
Lola Rose

Lola Rose

3.8  ·  Rating Details ·  6,714 Ratings  ·  284 Reviews
Fortunately for Jacqueline Wilson fans, her new books seem to come along a lot more regularly than JK Rowling's do, and for this latest, fantastic bittersweet slice of life offering they should again be grateful. Lola Rose is typical Wilson--a story of normal family strife, situations and feelings bound together with extraordinarily uplifting solutions that leave the reade ...more
Published March 4th 2004 by Corgi Childrens (first published March 6th 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Lola Rose, please sign up.

reader sumaya I find it annoying that you can't read full books on this site but you can rate and review books. The thing about this site is its for sharing what…moreI find it annoying that you can't read full books on this site but you can rate and review books. The thing about this site is its for sharing what you think of books although it does take you to store where you can download samples and see if you want to buy it .(less)
~♡Nujaba♡~ "When life with Jayni's violent-tempered father becomes too frightening to cope with, Jayni, her mum and her little brother Kenny are forced to escape…more"When life with Jayni's violent-tempered father becomes too frightening to cope with, Jayni, her mum and her little brother Kenny are forced to escape in the middle of the night. Slipping out of the house unseen, travelling up to London by train and checking into a hotel - it's almost like playing an elaborate game. They even make up false identities to protect their secret, and Jayni becomes the glamorous-sounding Lola Rose. But when money runs out and reality bites, what will they do next?"
This was from the book description but you could always read the reviews that are there. Hope this helped! : )(less)

Jo Woolfardis
Read as part of The Infinite Variety Reading Challenge, based on the BBC's Big Read Poll of 2003.

Yeah, okay. Something different to the dross that is usually aimed at teenagers, but I don't like the writing style or narration at all.

Blog | Instagram | Twitter | Pinterest | Shop | Etsy
Sanaz
Sep 23, 2013 Sanaz rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Lola Rose by Jacqueline Wilson

Why I decided to read this book:
I was given this novel as a birthday present many years ago and I couldn’t remember if I had read it or not so I decided to give it a go. I had previously been a huge fan of Jacqueline Wilson novels in my younger years, and I can recall being very fond of her books so I wanted to see how this would compare also.

Which category on the bingo board this book completes:
This book completes the category “A book with a main character”
This cat
Mar 16, 2016 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: four-star
This book focuses on a particularly difficult topic, even by Wilson standards. Domestic violence affects thousands of families, and it is captured sensitively in this book through the eyes of a young child. When Jayni, her brother and mum are forced to leave their house suddenly due to the fathers violence, they decide to take on false identities and begin a new life.

For Jayni and her little brother, this all begins as an adventure. They travel all the way to London, into a hotel and have new ex
Hannah
Jun 19, 2014 Hannah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I decided to re-read this book recently and fell in love with the story. I always remembered how the plot went, however I still found myself enchanted with what Jacqueline Wilson presented for my mind to consume.

Lola Rose is about a girl named, Jayni who loves with her mum, Nikki, her dad, Jay and her little brother Kenny. However, after winning the lottery and another tough night, Jayni finds herself on the run with her mum and little brother from dad in hope to recreate themselves and start a
Imas
Jayni, adiknya Kenny dan ibunya Nikki melarikan diri dari rumah karena dipukuli oleh ayahnya. Pelarian bermula dari lotere yg dimenangkan Mum, awalnya mereka sepakat tidak memberitahukan Dad soal keberuntungan ini. Dad, ayah yang pemarah suami yang selalu punya banyak alasan untuk memukul Mum. Tapi Mum selalu berlaku bodoh jika menyangkut tentang Dad.Mum akan melakukan apa saja untuk Dad,persis seperti yang diperintahkan.

Mum akhirnya memberitahu dad soal uang lotere itu saat dad pulang setelah b
Becky
Feb 12, 2013 Becky rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was interesting. When I read the synopsis I was like "mmm, abusive dad, got it. Wait... cancer too? That seems a little bit much." And that's what it was. Too much. The author's prologue suggests that the book is mostly about the cancer, but that's not the case at all. And while Wilson did the abusive dad stuff well, the cancer stuff was not as good. It seemed like an add on, sort of an excuse to get Auntie Barbara into the picture.
(I just want to break off here and state that I ADORE Aunt
Michelle
I absolutely love Wilson's work and was thrilled to be able to meet her a few years ago when she visited Australia (mind you there was still quite a lot of travel involved). I have to say that I think maybe, just maybe, this might be one of my favourite Jacqueline Wilson books. Then again, I really don’t want to say that because I love so many of her books.

The story focuses on Jayni, her mother and her brother as they try to escape her abusive father. The issue is handled with care by Wilson, b
Alex
Perhaps my love for this book is dumb, mainly because it was such a comfort to me when I first read it. I was eleven and had just come out of Saudi Arabia to England; I had few friends in England and thought we'd shortly go back to Saudi (we didn't). Lola Rose was the newest Jacqueline Wilson book and I had to get it, because I loved all things Jacqueline Wilson. Lola Rose became one of my closest friends, silly as that sounds, and I started making a scrapbook after reading it for the second or ...more
Mariam Abood
This book was sad and bravely touched upon the topics of domestic violence and cancer.
Mimimagic
May 19, 2016 Mimimagic rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really good. So entertaining however I was a by disappointed with the ending. Still amazing though. I was really able to get into Lola Rose's shoes.
Nicolle
Oct 25, 2010 Nicolle rated it really liked it
Shelves: children
A touching story about a girl with an abusive father given the chance to make a new life for herself. One of Jacqueline Wilson's greatest works.
Elizabeth
May 05, 2016 Elizabeth rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
another amazing book by Jacqueline Wilson!!!!
bakanekonomama
Beberapa waktu yang lalu, ketika membeli martabak telur dengan ibu saya, saya bertemu dengan seorang anak lelaki yang mengatai kami "An**ng". Awalnya dia hanya ingin bermain, meskipun memang terlihat kalau dia cukup aktif dan rada caper. Saya sempat meladeni di awal, tapi ketika ia mulai mengucapkan kata-kata kasar itu, dan mulai ingin memukuli kami, saya pun menyingkir. Sang ibu yang ada di dekat sana segera mendekat dan menyentil mulut si anak.

Menjadi orang tua memang tidak mudah, apalagi seo
Ira Book Lover
Pikiran pertama saya setelah membaca buku ini adalah buku ini bukan buku anak-anak. Isinya sedikit…errr…kurang sopan untuk anak-anak. Mungkin buku ini cocok buat remaja yang tua-an dikit *halah*.

Kali ini tokoh utama kita, Lola Rose, mempunyai Mum yang sangat cantik, mantan foto model dan punya Dad luar biasa tampan, mantan penyanyi rock. Tapi Mum sangat sembrono dan Dad suka memukul. Ketika Dad mulai berani memukul Lola Rose, Mum segera membawa kabur kedua anaknya.

Berbekal uang hasil menang lotr
Nina
It has literally been years since I read this novel! I was up in the attic the other day, and I found it in a bag along with a few other Jacqueline Wilson books. Up until the publishing of either 'Cookie' or 'My Sister Jodie', I'd read every Wilson book there was, and most multiple times. But since I was eleven, I'd stopped reading them, and a few months ago I gave the majority of them away, leaving just a few left; including this one. I got this copy at a theatre performance of Wilson's 'Midnig ...more
Michaela Johnson-
‘Lola Rose’ by Jacqueline Wilson is the story of a young girl who has to run away to London with her mum and her little brother, in hope that her dad will not find them.

Jayni Fenton is a young girl that has confidence issues, she has trouble making friends but this all changes later on in the story when she moves to London and changes her name to ‘Lola Rose Luck’.

In the beginning of the story Nikki (Jayni’s mum) wins £10000 on a scratch card, she decides it would be a nice idea to treat Jayni a
Emily (Mrs B's Books)
It seems most of the Jacqueline Wilson's books are quite dark in the fact that there is abuse or something else going on that the eleven or twelve year old ends up being more of an adult than her parents.

Jayni who calls herself Lola Rose after her mother flees from their father when instead of just hitting her mother he suddenly turns on the daughter.

They head to London and although her mother is very loving and seems to love them very much she is also another selfish parent. She can't keep a pr
Meg
God it's been years since I've read this one. All the same I still liked it enough to pick it up again while doing a book purge of my singular bookshelf (trust me, I'm hoping to get another one). Anyway, I randomly picked it up and began reading. I forgot how much I loved this book when I first got it.

The basic premise of the story is the story is that Jayni Fenton and her family get lucky and win the grand prize in the local scratchies. The prize is ten-thousand pounds, a massive sum to anyone,
Abbeyo
Oct 08, 2014 Abbeyo rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Lola Rose is a beautifully written book. It starts out with Jayni, plain, mousy, babyish and plump. She lives with her mum Nikki, little brother Kenny and abusive father, Jay. When one night Jay hits Jayni, Nikki won't have it. When Nikki wins the lottery of 10,000 pounds, they're off. After living in a hotel for a while, then getting a council flat, Jayni changes her name to Lola Rose, while Kenny morphs into Kendall and Nikki settles for Victoria. They also change their last name to Luck (to s ...more
Ayesha
Apr 06, 2009 Ayesha rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked this book, it was a really great read. This book shows the life of a young teenager, whose life changes forever.
Lola Rose, whose original name was Jayni,and her mother and brother are running away from her father, who has tried to beat Lola's mother up on more than one occasion.
This started their whole new life.With the help of lots of money they won from the lottery, the family run away and buy a home,start a new school and make new friends. But, what if their dad ever found them...what
Vanessa Alexandra
Jul 15, 2009 Vanessa Alexandra rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I cried when I read this book:( The story is sad. Lola Rose-the false name-is a young girl that maybe we could call it broken home. Even if her parents didn't split up yet. But her Dad likes to hits her,and her Mum,not her little brother. He always yelled at them and always made bad situation. So,once day,they run away from him. They use false names, they run away to London,hoping he never found them. But then,they had crisis economy,Lola's mum got breast cancer,and she also had new boyfriend. A ...more
Shannon
Nov 02, 2008 Shannon rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Any one who likes Jacquline Wilson
Chloe
Oct 22, 2012 Chloe rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I haven't read Lola Rose in a while, but I'll give it a go.
**Contains MODERATE spoilers**
I enjoyed the plot of the book; however I think it's similar to Wilson's other book Cookie. There are some differences, of course; like how "Lola Rose"'s family have just won the lottery.
I'm not saying the similarities are a BAD thing; it was an enjoyable book that I enjoyed. I think others would like it as well; it describes everything so vividly.
Suitable for 9 - 14 year olds.
Alsie
Jul 25, 2015 Alsie rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I still adore this book. I read this first as an intermediate schoolgirl, loved it and it was my favourite book, gotta say it still is. It's so real and raw, and I love Lola Rose/Jayni's character. Wilson writes Lola's worries about her mother's cancer so vividly, and it's wonderful. And Kenny is just such a cute little child, I wish I could hug him. :)

Resident Optimist
Aug 03, 2010 Resident Optimist rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Pre teens
Shelves: favorites
I read this twice, once about 5 years ago and once again 2 years ago, both times I loved this book. It was interesting to see "Lola's" life change so dramatically and to follow her on her journey as it did so. This is one of my favourites of Wilson's stories, and recommend it for all pre-teens
Johara Almogbel
Nov 01, 2014 Johara Almogbel rated it really liked it
Shelves: in-the-library
I hate Jayni's mother. I don't get how a person can be this selfish in the face of people who love them. I'm probably not considering their point of view in it or their circumstances, but I really don't give a shit as they never consider anyone else but themselves, do they? So it's apt.
Sofia
Feb 16, 2012 Sofia rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Re-read in 2012
Grace
Sep 07, 2014 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good book
Isabel
Feb 22, 2017 Isabel rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This was such a good book and I loved it. I think I read it in a week and that is very fast for me as I am a slow reader. The book shows how Lola feels about her father and mother.

I love the way the book describes the mother. When I read it I felt sorry for Lola. Her father is Horrid and her mother is selfish. The book demonstrates how a 13 year old girl has to adjust to a new life.

I would definitely recommend this book for everyone. Personally adults would enjoy it even though it is for child
Kenzie
Feb 14, 2017 Kenzie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
this book can be reltable to some people that have problems with their families and has some unexpected tips! it can very sad, and yet so funny!
  • Indigo Blue
  • Making Waves (Angels Unlimited, #7)
  • Permanent Rose (Casson Family, #3)
  • Do Not Read This Book (Do Not Read This Book, #1)
  • Frankie, Peaches & Me (Stella Etc, #1)
  • Sunset Song (A Scots Quair, #1)
  • Long Way Home
Jacqueline Wilson was born in Bath in 1945, but spent most of her childhood in Kingston-on-Thames. She always wanted to be a writer and wrote her first ‘novel’ when she was nine, filling in countless Woolworths’ exercise books as she grew up. As a teenager she started work for a magazine publishing company and then went on to work as a journalist on Jackie magazine (which she was told was named af ...more
More about Jacqueline Wilson...

“Well, I didn't need them.
I didn't need anyone. I was Lola Rose.
I just wished I looked more like my idea of Lola Rose.”
50 likes