Start by marking “The Blue Bistro” as Want to Read:
The Blue Bistro

The Blue Bistro

4.01 of 5 stars 4.01  ·  rating details  ·  11,183 ratings  ·  1,059 reviews
Adrienne Dealey has spent the past six years working for hotels in exotic resort towns. This summer she has decided to make Nantucket home. Left flat broke by her ex-boyfriend, she is desperate to earn some fast money. When the desirable Thatcher Smith, owner of Nantucket's hottest restaurant, is the only one to offer her a job, she wonders if she can get by with no restau ...more
Published May 30th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Bistro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Bistro

Kate Worth
The Blue Bistro is about a woman in her late twenties named Adrienne who comes to a crisis point in her life after her boyfriend, a drug addicted, unemployed loser, steals her life savings and thousands more from her employer. She turns him in to the police and flees town, heading to Nantucket where she hopes to find the next in a long line of hotel resort jobs she has worked since graduating from college.

Adrienne has made a string of bad romantic choices, opting consistently for men who are emo
Allison
Every so often I like to pretend I'm an open-minded person. So, one day, when I am innocently shelving this book in the course of my library duties, and for some reason it catches my eye, I check it out and think to myself, why not? I almost never read this kind of thing, so why not try something that goes against my grain? After all, I reason, as a writer, shouldn't I read as widely and voraciously as possible, including stuff I wouldn't normally?

And hey, I like mental mashed potatoes, fluffy
Karen
Took this on a flight recently - perfectly light and digestible - just what I needed to while away 17 hours in the air. Set in Nantucket, story centers around the Blue Bistro, her staff and her patrons. Just enough romance without being too gushy. I will look for more Elin Hilderbrand to read during the summer (as I think she is the perfect author to read while you are laying in the sun).
Ellen
Elin Hilderbrand is such a wonderful writer. I seriously could not put this book down and read it in a day. I loved reading about Nantucket and the high-end restaurant business--the employees were like a real family. Adrienne, Thatcher and Finoa were great characters--I want to know more! This is recommended!
Kathleen Crowell
Okay, I just didn't get the obsessive friendship between Fiona and Thatcher. It sure seemed one-sided--all on Thatcher's side. I felt for Fiona, who wouldn't but show a little something--ANYTHING that resembles warmth or friendship. Sure I get really strong, solid friendship--but why did this friendship have to be sooo dramatic to the exclusion of all else for Thatcher? That said, there were some really touching moments between Thatcher and Adrienne--not fully developed, but I felt them. I was t ...more
Emily
Holly Schindler
Alli
Quick Summary - The Blue Bistro follows a woman with a transient lifestyle as a hotel concierge who starts a job as a Nantucket restaurant assistant manager after being left penniless by her scumbag boyfriend. Over the course of the novel she learns the ways of the restaurant world, rubs shoulders with important and wealthy Nantucket residents, makes friends, and finds love.

The Blue Bistro is an okay beach read - I went in with exactly those expectations and, after the slow-ish start up, was fa
kim-d
I really liked this book...until I got to the last few pages. It ended so abruptly and not in keeping with the rest of the book...it was like the author got sick of writing it and just wanted to end it as quickly as possible. It was a fairly lengthy book, so why not add a few more pages and have a more well-developed ending; I think it would have been worth it.

With Elin Hilderbrand books, you always pretty much know what you're going to get but, since this one was set in a restaurant, it was a
Lisa
Yet another instance if me longing for half stars! lol... I give this novel a very solid 4.5, though it is in the bubble of five for me.

Mrs. Hildebrand is an excellent writer with a unique story telling method. Although I typically prefer an intense murder/thriller/mystery or a soft, quick-to-read and always happilybending romance, I find myself drawn to her books.

I am not sure how the booksellers (or the author herself), classify this book; I am dubbing it "drama". I guess that is likely my own
Sifra (brilliant bookshelf)
Read this review at Brilliant Bookshelf

I expected The Blue Bistro to be an easy read, something you can take with you to the beach or the park to lose your mind in for a couple of hours, and it turned out to be exactly that. The plot is somewhat predictable but this very predictability and summer setting make it an enjoyable summer read. You don't have to make the gears in your brain work to figure out details as the plot progresses, and sometimes that is just the kind of book you need.

One part
Jean Brown
Laurel-Rain
When Adrienne Dealey arrives on Nantucket Island, she is broke, rudderless, and running from a life of lost connections and relationship woes.

A motherless child at twelve, most of Adrienne's life has been about fleeing from the past.

On her first day in Nantucket, she meets Thatcher Smith, one of the owners of the Blue Bistro, a legend in its own time, famous for its cuisine and its reclusive chef and co-owner, Fiona Kemp.

When Thatcher hires her, he also lets her know that this summer is the fina
Paula
Rating 4.5

I loved this book. It was fun, refreshing, and as enticing as the menu at the Blue Bistro. The atmosphere created in the restaurant was irresistible and made me want to be there (which is saying a lot since I would never work in a restaurant in real life). I thought the characters were wonderful and I loved the mysteriousness in the novel - It made it very hard to put down. The main character, Thatcher, reminded me of a younger version of Danielle Steel's Cooper Winslow (who I adored)
Jaime Arkin
I really really wish that goodreads would implement half stars - I truly enjoyed this book - I'd probably give it a 3.5 stars - but I didn't want to mark it down to three.

at 28, Adrienne Dealey has had pretty bad luck when it comes to relationships in her life. The latest was a doozy! Doug ended up stealing all her savings and stealing from customers of the resort she managed and in order to get some perspective she decides to leave town for the summer, heading to Nantucket.

On her ferry trip, a
Jennefer
After having loved Hilderbrand's books, Silver Girl, Barefoot, The Island, etc. I am on a mission to read all of Hilderbrand’s books! Which led me to The Blue Bistro and just like her others this book did not disappoint! In fact I think this is one of my top favorites from her thus far. I have to say I was getting sick of all the cheating Elin likes to incorporate into most stories and thou there was still mention of this with a side character it wasn’t the main focus in this story.
The Blue Bis
Kelly Renee
My coworker recommended that I read this because it was her favorite book (...) and I would like to say that I was relieved that it wasn't the typical beach, romance novel I was expecting from Hilderbrand (and the cover art. This novel was truly focused on the restaurant industry, with a very subtle and non-obtrusive romance going on in the background. The reason I gave this 2 stars instead of the 3 I was planning on giving it as a simple, easy book that I amused me, is my issue with the main ch ...more
Heather
When I first started reading this book, I didn't love it. I thought the description of all the restaurant activity was unnecessary. I kept wondering, "Where is this GOING?" Also, the boss in the story irritated me by not only encouraging his assistant manager to drink, but practically forcing her to drink while she worked. Why would a recovering alcoholic who has to attend AA meetings push alcohol onto someone he cares about?

But I kept reading.

Eventually, the boss grew on me by his undying and
Tricia
I have read quite a few books by this author and normally really love reading them. This book was quite different for me. The plot being focused on the restaurant and food became tiresome as the book progressed. Also, I did not find myself rooting for the main characters to be together. A guy who is controlling, deceiptful, and doesn't drink but requires you to get drunk is not a good person for you to be around. Also, he takes her to dinner but doesn't eat - weird! At the end of the book I foun ...more
I was expecting something else from this book and never got it. I think what bothered me most was Thatcher's relationship with Fiona. It seemed strange and a little overboard. It just didn't seem real. Why would someone put up with this side relationship the way Adrienne does? There was more than one time that I thought about putting the book down and not finishing it. I felt like it dragged on forever. I didn't connect with anyone and was annoyed by most of the characters and the way they acted ...more
Jean
Melissa Kayden
Another good book by Hilderbramd, although I have preferred her mire recent (and involved) books. I liked seeing some familiar names from The Beach Club, but also liked Adrienne. I thought that the relationship between Thatcher and Fiona could have even more explanation that we got at the end, but other than that a great books with lots of great characters.
Judy
Loved it!! I still think about those crackers they ate at night!
Claire
I can not stop reading Elin Hildebrand's novels!
Lynn
I am not sure where to start, the book was a good read... I could clearly see the locales as they were described...smell the beach....but I find myself at a loss of why I hated 2 of the three main characters. I loved the heroine..she was human..she made mistakes and tried her best to straighten them out...she ends up in Nantucket broke after a bad boyfriend.... this is where you meet Thatch he will be playing the hero in this book....but unfortunately not to the heroine... this is where it gets ...more
Jonna Rubin
Eh, had I read this in a day, fine. I read it over several, because I don't have the time to finish a book in a day in winter. Or ever, but let's pretend it's a winter thing.

For a beach read, this would have been fine. For a regular read, ugh. Thatcher sucked. His relationship with Fiona was just flat-out weird. Yes, he was devoted to her. Fine. But the devotion took a weird turn and never really rallied to normal levels after that. "I love you, Adrienne." Great. "But I love Fiona, too." What? N
Holly
Adrienne Dealey is a young girl who has spent the better part of her life moving around changing schools, chasing jobs and bad boy friends. While leaving Colorado and a boyfriend who stole all her money, she ends up in Nantucket at the Blue Bistro due to a passing comment from a fellow passenger on the ferry ride over. Adrienne ends up the assistant manager there and in a relationship with the manager/owner Thatcher Smith. I found the kitchen dynamics more interesting than the romance between Ad ...more
Vandrion
What an amazing find. I was just passing by the book table at BJ's and happened to spot this book (mine is actually a double book, also including "The Love Season," which I now look forward to). It was about $10, and I thought that was quite a steal for two books so I got it. Normally I am hesitant with authors I've never heard of and have not already received a recommendation on, but for that price I thought I really couldn't go wrong.

This book was both delicious, and real. When I say delicious
Loralee
This was a perfect summer read; classy and elegant but not pretentious. Think the White Party in the Hamptons. Think steamers and cold beer on your favorite beach. Think champagne and fireworks on an old quilt in the backyard.

The driving force of this story were the three main characters, Adrienne, the narrator, Thatcher Smith, the proprietor and Fiona Kemp the charismatic and mysterious chef. All the characters, even the minor ones, were presented with the consistency of a seasoned and talente
Kendra
Elin Hilderbrand's obsession with Nantucket is nearly as suffocating as Emily Giffin's obsession with New York City. The one thing both women can do is tell a story that makes you not care if the story was based out of a garbage can in Chicago.

I couldn't put The Blue Bistro down. From page one I was hooked and the story never let me go. Adrienne is a likable enough character, the kind of girl you trust because while she isn't a bitch, she isn't a pushover, either. She has bad taste in men and a
  • Moon Shell Beach
  • Ocean Beach (Ten Beach Road, #2)
  • Driftwood Summer
  • LoveHampton
  • Summer Blowout
  • Skipping a Beat
  • Falling Home
  • The Beach House (The Beach House #1)
  • The Summer Of Us
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand

Pinterest.com/Elin
More about Elin Hilderbrand...
Barefoot The Island Silver Girl Summerland The Castaways

“He has never known a woman so free from conceit, vanity, ambition, pretense. He has never known a woman so willing to show the world that she is a human being.” 8 likes