Start by marking “The Blue Bistro: A Novel” as Want to Read:
The Blue Bistro: A Novel

The Blue Bistro: A Novel

3.99  ·  Rating Details  ·  14,953 Ratings  ·  1,277 Reviews
Elin Hilderbrand, author of the enchanting Summer People and The Beach Club, invites you to experience the perfect getaway with her sparkling new novel.

Adrienne Dealey has spent the past six years working for hotels in exotic resort towns. This summer she has decided to make Nantucket home. Left flat broke by her ex-boyfriend, she is desperate to earn some fast money. When
Published May 30th 2006 by St. Martin's Paperbacks (first published June 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about The Blue Bistro, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Blue Bistro

Kate Worth
Feb 26, 2013 Kate Worth rated it liked it
Shelves: book-club
The Blue Bistro is about a woman in her late twenties named Adrienne who comes to a crisis point in her life after her boyfriend, a drug addicted, unemployed loser, steals her life savings and thousands more from her employer. She turns him in to the police and flees town, heading to Nantucket where she hopes to find the next in a long line of hotel resort jobs she has worked since graduating from college.

Adrienne has made a string of bad romantic choices, opting consistently for men who are emo
Allison Floyd
Every so often I like to pretend I'm an open-minded person. So, one day, when I am innocently shelving this book in the course of my library duties, and for some reason it catches my eye, I check it out and think to myself, why not? I almost never read this kind of thing, so why not try something that goes against my grain? After all, I reason, as a writer, shouldn't I read as widely and voraciously as possible, including stuff I wouldn't normally?

And hey, I like mental mashed potatoes, fluffy
Alli
Apr 05, 2012 Alli rated it it was ok
Shelves: easy-reads
Quick Summary - The Blue Bistro follows a woman with a transient lifestyle as a hotel concierge who starts a job as a Nantucket restaurant assistant manager after being left penniless by her scumbag boyfriend. Over the course of the novel she learns the ways of the restaurant world, rubs shoulders with important and wealthy Nantucket residents, makes friends, and finds love.

The Blue Bistro is an okay beach read - I went in with exactly those expectations and, after the slow-ish start up, was fa
Nurse Lisa in Ohio
Title: "Blue Bistro" (a Nantucket Novel - stand alone)
Author: Elin Hilderbrand
Published: GoodReads shows dates in both 2005 & 2006; I need to follow up on the actual US date.
Genre: fiction, adult fiction, drama, romance, ? Chick-lit, ? Beach read.
Read: April 19-20, 2012
Format: ebook via Nook Color ereader by Barnes and Noble.

My GoodReads rating: 4.5 of 5 stars.

Brief remarks:

Yet another instance of me longing for half stars! lol... I give this novel a very solid 4.5, though it is "on the bub
kim-d
Nov 14, 2010 kim-d rated it liked it
I really liked this book...until I got to the last few pages. It ended so abruptly and not in keeping with the rest of the book...it was like the author got sick of writing it and just wanted to end it as quickly as possible. It was a fairly lengthy book, so why not add a few more pages and have a more well-developed ending; I think it would have been worth it.

With Elin Hilderbrand books, you always pretty much know what you're going to get but, since this one was set in a restaurant, it was a
Karen
Jan 09, 2009 Karen rated it really liked it
Took this on a flight recently - perfectly light and digestible - just what I needed to while away 17 hours in the air. Set in Nantucket, story centers around the Blue Bistro, her staff and her patrons. Just enough romance without being too gushy. I will look for more Elin Hilderbrand to read during the summer (as I think she is the perfect author to read while you are laying in the sun).
Kathleen Crowell
Nov 14, 2011 Kathleen Crowell rated it liked it
Okay, I just didn't get the obsessive friendship between Fiona and Thatcher. It sure seemed one-sided--all on Thatcher's side. I felt for Fiona, who wouldn't but show a little something--ANYTHING that resembles warmth or friendship. Sure I get really strong, solid friendship--but why did this friendship have to be sooo dramatic to the exclusion of all else for Thatcher? That said, there were some really touching moments between Thatcher and Adrienne--not fully developed, but I felt them. I was t ...more
Emily
Jul 24, 2011 Emily rated it it was ok
Ellen
May 19, 2008 Ellen rated it it was amazing
Elin Hilderbrand is such a wonderful writer. I seriously could not put this book down and read it in a day. I loved reading about Nantucket and the high-end restaurant business--the employees were like a real family. Adrienne, Thatcher and Finoa were great characters--I want to know more! This is recommended!
Holly Schindler
Judy
Aug 18, 2013 Judy rated it it was amazing
Loved it!! I still think about those crackers they ate at night!
Jean Brown
Mar 08, 2014 Jean Brown rated it liked it
Kelly Renee
Jun 20, 2013 Kelly Renee rated it it was ok
My coworker recommended that I read this because it was her favorite book (...) and I would like to say that I was relieved that it wasn't the typical beach, romance novel I was expecting from Hilderbrand (and the cover art. This novel was truly focused on the restaurant industry, with a very subtle and non-obtrusive romance going on in the background. The reason I gave this 2 stars instead of the 3 I was planning on giving it as a simple, easy book that I amused me, is my issue with the main ch ...more
Heather
Nov 14, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it
When I first started reading this book, I didn't love it. I thought the description of all the restaurant activity was unnecessary. I kept wondering, "Where is this GOING?" Also, the boss in the story irritated me by not only encouraging his assistant manager to drink, but practically forcing her to drink while she worked. Why would a recovering alcoholic who has to attend AA meetings push alcohol onto someone he cares about?

But I kept reading.

Eventually, the boss grew on me by his undying and
Tricia
Aug 09, 2012 Tricia rated it it was ok
I have read quite a few books by this author and normally really love reading them. This book was quite different for me. The plot being focused on the restaurant and food became tiresome as the book progressed. Also, I did not find myself rooting for the main characters to be together. A guy who is controlling, deceiptful, and doesn't drink but requires you to get drunk is not a good person for you to be around. Also, he takes her to dinner but doesn't eat - weird! At the end of the book I foun ...more
JoNel
Jul 30, 2015 JoNel rated it liked it
It's really a 2.5 for me. I found the story predictable. I did get a kick out of the kitchen and bar staff, except for Fiona. To me the minor characters were almost more fleshed out than the majors. Overall-eh.
Sifra (brilliant bookshelf)
description
Read this review at Brilliant Bookshelf

I expected The Blue Bistro to be an easy read, something you can take with you to the beach or the park to lose your mind in for a couple of hours, and it turned out to be exactly that. The plot is somewhat predictable but this very predictability and summer setting make it an enjoyable summer read. You don't have to make the gears in your brain work to figure out details as the plot progresses, and sometimes that is just the kind of book you need.

One part
Jonna Rubin
Feb 06, 2014 Jonna Rubin rated it it was ok
Eh, had I read this in a day, fine. I read it over several, because I don't have the time to finish a book in a day in winter. Or ever, but let's pretend it's a winter thing.

For a beach read, this would have been fine. For a regular read, ugh. Thatcher sucked. His relationship with Fiona was just flat-out weird. Yes, he was devoted to her. Fine. But the devotion took a weird turn and never really rallied to normal levels after that. "I love you, Adrienne." Great. "But I love Fiona, too." What? N
Jaime Arkin
I really really wish that goodreads would implement half stars - I truly enjoyed this book - I'd probably give it a 3.5 stars - but I didn't want to mark it down to three.

at 28, Adrienne Dealey has had pretty bad luck when it comes to relationships in her life. The latest was a doozy! Doug ended up stealing all her savings and stealing from customers of the resort she managed and in order to get some perspective she decides to leave town for the summer, heading to Nantucket.

On her ferry trip, a
Tif
Aug 05, 2011 Tif rated it it was ok
I actually LOVED the restaurant aspect of this book. The author did an amazing job of describing the ambiance, the food, the patrons and the staff. It made me want to cook gourmet food and eat at gourmet restaurants. The "love" story on the other hand was forced, under-developed, annoying and unbelievable. I didn't like the male lead character at all--ever. This would have been an excellent book if the author stuck to the restaurant drama alone and steered clear of the love story.

This was a rom
Caryn
Jan 03, 2016 Caryn rated it really liked it
This book made me hungry. For food, yes. But also for a desire to spend a summer on Nantucket to explore the beaches and restaurants. I was enthralled in this love story and how they kept this busy restaurant running. Good and light start to the new year.
Laurel-Rain
Feb 11, 2011 Laurel-Rain rated it it was amazing
When Adrienne Dealey arrives on Nantucket Island, she is broke, rudderless, and running from a life of lost connections and relationship woes.

A motherless child at twelve, most of Adrienne's life has been about fleeing from the past.

On her first day in Nantucket, she meets Thatcher Smith, one of the owners of the Blue Bistro, a legend in its own time, famous for its cuisine and its reclusive chef and co-owner, Fiona Kemp.

When Thatcher hires her, he also lets her know that this summer is the fina
Paula
Jan 31, 2013 Paula rated it really liked it
Rating 4.5

I loved this book. It was fun, refreshing, and as enticing as the menu at the Blue Bistro. The atmosphere created in the restaurant was irresistible and made me want to be there (which is saying a lot since I would never work in a restaurant in real life). I thought the characters were wonderful and I loved the mysteriousness in the novel - It made it very hard to put down. The main character, Thatcher, reminded me of a younger version of Danielle Steel's Cooper Winslow (who I adored)
Jennefer
Mar 03, 2012 Jennefer rated it really liked it
After having loved Hilderbrand's books, Silver Girl, Barefoot, The Island, etc. I am on a mission to read all of Hilderbrand’s books! Which led me to The Blue Bistro and just like her others this book did not disappoint! In fact I think this is one of my top favorites from her thus far. I have to say I was getting sick of all the cheating Elin likes to incorporate into most stories and thou there was still mention of this with a side character it wasn’t the main focus in this story.
The Blue Bis
steph
I'm sorry but I can't get over the end (view spoiler)

Kelli
Apr 02, 2015 Kelli rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Hilderbrand book ever but as always I love the detail and research put in to ensure the feeling of "real restaurant" life came across.
Feb 25, 2012 Laura rated it it was ok
I was expecting something else from this book and never got it. I think what bothered me most was Thatcher's relationship with Fiona. It seemed strange and a little overboard. It just didn't seem real. Why would someone put up with this side relationship the way Adrienne does? There was more than one time that I thought about putting the book down and not finishing it. I felt like it dragged on forever. I didn't connect with anyone and was annoyed by most of the characters and the way they acted ...more
Tracy
Jun 19, 2015 Tracy rated it really liked it
An easy, fast read about a rudderless young woman in her 20's who ends up working at a famous restaurant in Nantucket...that is set to close forever at the end of that summer. The book has some neat insight into the high-end restaurant industry (it reminded me of Kitchen Confidential and Waiter Rant, though it was far less crass than the former and less cynical than the latter). As someone who has never worked in a restaurant, but has many family members and friends that do, I'm always intereste ...more
Jean
Feb 27, 2012 Jean rated it did not like it
Melissa Kayden
Feb 08, 2011 Melissa Kayden rated it liked it
Another good book by Hilderbramd, although I have preferred her mire recent (and involved) books. I liked seeing some familiar names from The Beach Club, but also liked Adrienne. I thought that the relationship between Thatcher and Fiona could have even more explanation that we got at the end, but other than that a great books with lots of great characters.
  • Moon Shell Beach
  • The Art of Keeping Secrets
  • Summer Blowout
  • Beach Trip
  • Once in Every Life
  • Ocean Beach (Ten Beach Road, #2)
  • LoveHampton
  • The Memory of Water
  • Swimming Lessons
  • The Summer Of Us
  • The Lost Recipe for Happiness
Elin Hilderbrand lives on Nantucket with her husband and their three young children. She grew up in Collegeville, Pennsylvania, and traveled extensively before settling on Nantucket, which has been the setting for her five previous novels. Hilderbrand is a graduate of Johns Hopkins University and the graduate fiction workshop at the University of Iowa.

Facebook.com/ElinHilderbrand

Pinterest.com/Elin
More about Elin Hilderbrand...

“He has never known a woman so free from conceit, vanity, ambition, pretense. He has never known a woman so willing to show the world that she is a human being.” 9 likes