Start by marking “Some Birthday!” as Want to Read:
Some Birthday!

Patricia Polacco

Some Birthday!

3.73 of 5 stars 3.73  ·  rating details  ·  143 ratings  ·  15 reviews
On her birthday, Dad takes a young girl and her brother to see the Monster at Clay Pit Bottom.
Turtleback, 32 pages
Published September 1994 by Turtleback Books (first published October 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Some Birthday!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Birthday!

Lisa Vegan
This isn’t one of Polacco’s best, but it’s relatively entertaining. To tell the truth, I think her father would have driven me nuts but maybe it takes a member of that family to appreciate the humor fully.

Once again I’m in a quandary about whether to add this to my non-fiction shelf. Many of Polacco’s books are either based on her childhood or are even straight non-fiction.

The illustrations really fit the story well. Patricia thinks her father and grandmother and family have forgotten her birth
Dolly
Dec 07, 2012 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoy Patricia Polacco's stories and so we look for them often at our local library. Lucky for us, she is a very prolific writer, so we still have several more of her books to discover.

This is an entertaining story about an unusual birthday. As with many of her books, I'm sure much of this story is based on fact, although it's listed as fiction. The narrative is short and fun to read aloud and the illustrations are typical for her books. We enjoyed reading this book together; I chose t
Linda Lipko
Polacco's simple story telling style and her unique artistry are ground in tales from her childhood. In this book, the young girl (Patricia) is spending time with her father. A child of divorce, this reality is not over stated or presented as a terrible thing.

In this tale, she visits her traveling salesman father who lives with her grandmother. There is obvious affection for both. Because it is her birthday, she wants it to be a special day. It appears that her father has forgotten.

At nighttime
Christina
I'm starting to believe that any of Patricia Polacco's books are great reads for kids! This book demonstrates how family should be defined as loved ones who you enjoy spending time with. The first page mentions that Patricia's parents are divorced, so she lives with her dad and grandma and possibly an uncle. Although this seems to be an unconventional family, the family members still laugh, play jokes on each other, and celebrate birthdays. It is a "feel good" book that shares the special bond b ...more
Stephanie
I love Patricia Polacco, but this is not one of her best books. This story is about a little girl on her birthday. I like that the family pretends to forget her birthday and gets her out of the house, but I do not like that they took her somewhere to scare her. In my opinion, there should have been some kind of party or something for the girl when she got back to the house. I love that this book mentions that the dad is colorblind. Some kids do have to deal with colorblind parents or they are co ...more
Jennifer Amichia
This book was a good read and deals with many of the issues our generations families are experiencing. Polacco is known for writing stories that are slightly biographical. I'm not completely sure if this book is one of them, but as stated it deals with real life issues. Polacco addresses a divorced family in this book. I personally can't relate, but I've observed several students in my class who are living with one parent during the week and another over the weekend. This would make for a good r ...more
Brenna Johnson
Everyone should have a birthday like this!
Anne Robertson
The little girl is at her dad's house for her birthday. She thinks he has forgotten her birthday and becomes upset. He makes up for it in the end with cake and presents after taking them down to the lake to look for monsters. Good for students dealing with divorced parents. Also has lots of good descriptive words in it.
Jodi Lamb
Spending summers with her divorced dad and grandmother, it seems as though Dad forgot her birthday. But he decides that she along with Dad, her brother and cousins should spend the night at the Clay pits. When they are scared and run home they dicover that they monster they thought they saw was only Dad.
Darleen Roche
Oct 08, 2008 Darleen Roche rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 8-11
This has to be one of my favorite Patricia Polacco books! Some Birthday takes place at her fathers house when she thinks that he has forgotten her birthday. He takes her on many adventures only to find out this surprise. Read it for yourself! Once you start reading - you will not put it down.
Cheryl
When I started reading, I was a little taken aback since a book about having one's birthday ignored was odd but it ended up so cute.

One of the few that addresses color-blindness as just another loveable trait.
Lorna
A fantastical adventure makes a memorable birthday for Trisha and her family. Very fun and kids enjoy the suspenseful nature of the story.
The Children
I personally didn't care for this one, but the girls asked for it to be read over and over
Kerstin
I enjoy the book best when my husband reads it aloud!
Ryan
It's really by Patricia Polacco, not Ernest Polacco.
Pearl Collier
Pearl Collier marked it as to-read
Oct 27, 2014
Leah
Leah marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Sheila Wynn
Sheila Wynn marked it as to-read
Sep 14, 2014
Xaryhia Love
Xaryhia Love marked it as to-read
Sep 01, 2014
Janna
Janna added it
Aug 27, 2014
Kelly
Kelly marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
  • The Cow That Went OINK
  • How Ben Franklin Stole the Lightning
  • Feelings
  • 26 Letters and 99 Cents
  • The Lost Dinosaur Bone (Little Critter)
  • A Weekend with Wendell
  • Emily's First 100 Days of School
  • A Sweet Smell of Roses
  • You Forgot Your Skirt, Amelia Bloomer
  • Sandy's Circus: A Story About Alexander Calder
  • A Terrible Thing Happened
Thank You, Mr. Falker Pink and Say The Keeping Quilt Thunder Cake Chicken Sunday