Start by marking “Some Birthday!” as Want to Read:
Some Birthday!

Patricia Polacco

Some Birthday!

3.79  ·  Rating Details  ·  178 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
On her birthday, Dad takes a young girl and her brother to see the Monster at Clay Pit Bottom.
Turtleback, 32 pages
Published September 1994 by Turtleback Books (first published October 1st 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Some Birthday!, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Some Birthday!

Lisa Vegan
This isn’t one of Polacco’s best, but it’s relatively entertaining. To tell the truth, I think her father would have driven me nuts but maybe it takes a member of that family to appreciate the humor fully.

Once again I’m in a quandary about whether to add this to my non-fiction shelf. Many of Polacco’s books are either based on her childhood or are even straight non-fiction.

The illustrations really fit the story well. Patricia thinks her father and grandmother and family have forgotten her birth
Dolly
Dec 07, 2012 Dolly rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
We really enjoy Patricia Polacco's stories and so we look for them often at our local library. Lucky for us, she is a very prolific writer, so we still have several more of her books to discover.

This is an entertaining story about an unusual birthday. As with many of her books, I'm sure much of this story is based on fact, although it's listed as fiction. The narrative is short and fun to read aloud and the illustrations are typical for her books. We enjoyed reading this book together; I chose t
Kristine Hansen
Ms. Polacco has a wealth of stories from her childhood, and thankfully she's sharing them with all of us. The story of this birthday that got completely out of hand with strange monsters and lots of thrills and chills was a story that I laughed to read. I love being invited in to the author's family and feel like she's become a friend over the course of several picture books.
Linda Lipko
Polacco's simple story telling style and her unique artistry are ground in tales from her childhood. In this book, the young girl (Patricia) is spending time with her father. A child of divorce, this reality is not over stated or presented as a terrible thing.

In this tale, she visits her traveling salesman father who lives with her grandmother. There is obvious affection for both. Because it is her birthday, she wants it to be a special day. It appears that her father has forgotten.

At nighttime
Christina
I'm starting to believe that any of Patricia Polacco's books are great reads for kids! This book demonstrates how family should be defined as loved ones who you enjoy spending time with. The first page mentions that Patricia's parents are divorced, so she lives with her dad and grandma and possibly an uncle. Although this seems to be an unconventional family, the family members still laugh, play jokes on each other, and celebrate birthdays. It is a "feel good" book that shares the special bond b ...more
Stephanie
I love Patricia Polacco, but this is not one of her best books. This story is about a little girl on her birthday. I like that the family pretends to forget her birthday and gets her out of the house, but I do not like that they took her somewhere to scare her. In my opinion, there should have been some kind of party or something for the girl when she got back to the house. I love that this book mentions that the dad is colorblind. Some kids do have to deal with colorblind parents or they are co ...more
This book was a good read and deals with many of the issues our generations families are experiencing. Polacco is known for writing stories that are slightly biographical. I'm not completely sure if this book is one of them, but as stated it deals with real life issues. Polacco addresses a divorced family in this book. I personally can't relate, but I've observed several students in my class who are living with one parent during the week and another over the weekend. This would make for a good r ...more
Brenna Johnson
Feb 11, 2014 Brenna Johnson rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Everyone should have a birthday like this!
LeAnne
Feb 16, 2016 LeAnne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-book
Writing is not as strong as the delightful pictures. Autobiographical.
Anne Robertson
The little girl is at her dad's house for her birthday. She thinks he has forgotten her birthday and becomes upset. He makes up for it in the end with cake and presents after taking them down to the lake to look for monsters. Good for students dealing with divorced parents. Also has lots of good descriptive words in it.
Jodi Lamb
Apr 21, 2013 Jodi Lamb rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Spending summers with her divorced dad and grandmother, it seems as though Dad forgot her birthday. But he decides that she along with Dad, her brother and cousins should spend the night at the Clay pits. When they are scared and run home they dicover that they monster they thought they saw was only Dad.
Darleen Roche
Oct 08, 2008 Darleen Roche rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: ages 8-11
This has to be one of my favorite Patricia Polacco books! Some Birthday takes place at her fathers house when she thinks that he has forgotten her birthday. He takes her on many adventures only to find out this surprise. Read it for yourself! Once you start reading - you will not put it down.
Cheryl
When I started reading, I was a little taken aback since a book about having one's birthday ignored was odd but it ended up so cute.

One of the few that addresses color-blindness as just another loveable trait.
Lorna
May 23, 2011 Lorna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A fantastical adventure makes a memorable birthday for Trisha and her family. Very fun and kids enjoy the suspenseful nature of the story.
The Children
I personally didn't care for this one, but the girls asked for it to be read over and over
Kerstin
Nov 12, 2009 Kerstin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childrens-books
I enjoy the book best when my husband reads it aloud!
Ryan
Aug 05, 2011 Ryan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teacher-what-not
It's really by Patricia Polacco, not Ernest Polacco.
Leslie
Cara
Cara added it
May 24, 2016
Lisa Baron
Lisa Baron marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Constance Dinsmore
Constance Dinsmore marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Emily Bruzzini
Emily Bruzzini marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2016
Laura Hoyler
Laura Hoyler rated it really liked it
Apr 16, 2016
Kim Vandagriff
Kim Vandagriff rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2016
Anija
Anija marked it as to-read
Mar 09, 2016
Lynn Snead
Lynn Snead marked it as to-read
Mar 05, 2016
Ed
Ed rated it really liked it
Mar 03, 2016
Bethany
Bethany rated it really liked it
Mar 02, 2016
Abby Tyler
Abby Tyler marked it as to-read
Mar 02, 2016