Start by marking “Heart Of The Country” as Want to Read:
Heart Of The Country

Heart Of The Country

3.98 of 5 stars 3.98  ·  rating details  ·  95 ratings  ·  16 reviews
Follows the lives of cowboys, buffalo hunters, Indians, pioneers, and enterprising women across the frontier of the Great Plains, in an epic tale of trials, travails, and heroes in the American West. Reprint.
Published December 1st 1997 by Pinnacle (first published April 17th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Heart Of The Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart Of The Country

Melki
On the washstand by his bed lay a small shaving mirror. Joe picked it up and examined his face. I'm only fifteen, he told himself. I've got years and years of life ahead of me. He wondered how it was possible to endure life until old age and death. What kept people sane for so long? How did others manage it? The answer, of course, was simple: other people were not hunchbacks.

In the mid-1800s, a prominent St. Louis doctor brings home a half-breed infant who was left in a churchyard, and his life...more
Cindy Bouchard
Waiting impatiently for this wonderful, amazing, sorrowful, fateful book to be on kindle. Loved it when I read it years ago. Not a light-hearted read or for those who expect a fairy tale. Greg Matthews writes as clean as Larry McMurtry with the nostalgia of Robert McCammon. This book is possibly the most underrated book EVER.
Shawn
This could have been a better book if there would have been one decent likeable character. The hero of the story is a deeply resentful and troubled man who I could not warm to. He carries a deep and bitter resentment though life due to becoming a hunchback as a child and he can never rise to a place of acceptance. He hurts too many people throughout his life to feel sorry for him in the end. The writing is excellent and it was an easy read. I enjoyed the references to classic literature sprinkle...more
Thomas
Jul 12, 2007 Thomas rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: folks who like literary westerns
this was the first book I read by Matthews and I was instantly a fan. I used it for a paper on a "Great Western Literature" class in college. The writing hit all the main points of the class even though it was fairly new at the time.

If you're looking for a good western adventure this is it. If you like this, also check out Power in the Blood by the same author.
Rich
A melancholy book focusing on tragic loss and missed opportunities. This book is not for the faint of heart. It's not a book of "happily ever afters" but is masterfully written and really drives at the heart of human nature with stories of avarice, jealousy, and hubris. This is a book very much written in the classical style of a well done tragedy.

The main story is about Joe Cobden, half-Native American, hunchback who is spurned by society despite his incredible intellect and need for empathy de...more
Sandy
This was absolutely the most depressing book I have ever read! It seems nothing good happened to any of the characters. I kept reading it in the hopes that eventually someone would find happiness in life. Set in Kansas in the late 1800's the story follows a half-breed Indian raised by a doctor whose wife was mad. Granted much of the story probably was true of that period of time, but hopefully most of our ancestors fared better.
Sherry Crane
This story showed so much heart ache and struggle for this young man who didn't look like everyone else. His life was rough. It wasn't a happy book but I couldn't put it down. I'm glad I read it. People sure struggled back then and a life could be snuffed out easily.
Julia
I read this book off a reading list in high school. While it is depressing it is also amazing. I highly recommend it. Once it's available via Kindle I'll be reading it again.
Dennis
It's been a long time sonce I read this, but it was one of the strangest books I ever read. Didnt seem to really go anywhere with the story.
Paul Myrvold
A most unique western adventure with a totally unusual anti-hero an orphaned, hunchbacked, half-breed buffalo killer. It's a don't miss.
Troy
A hunchbacked buffalo hunter conquers the American west. One of the few books I reread every two or three years.
Linda
Buffalo hunter and a half-breed hunchback in harsh pioneer story.
Rosemary
Excellent, authentic, American history of the West.
Toesnorth's mom
good, different slant on the west
Cws
W Mat
Julie Drucker
Julie Drucker marked it as to-read
Sep 02, 2014
Mike
Mike added it
Aug 26, 2014
John Doed
John Doed marked it as to-read
Aug 18, 2014
Kim
Kim marked it as to-read
Aug 11, 2014
Lori
Lori marked it as to-read
Jul 30, 2014
Eileen
Eileen marked it as to-read
Jul 23, 2014
Courtney Caroen
Courtney Caroen marked it as to-read
Jul 02, 2014
Elizabeth
Elizabeth marked it as to-read
Jun 15, 2014
John Muñoz
John Muñoz marked it as to-read
May 29, 2014
CoffeeBook Chick
CoffeeBook Chick marked it as to-read
May 23, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Further Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Power In The Blood The Wisdom of Stones Little Red Rooster One True Thing