Start by marking “Heart Of The Country” as Want to Read:
Heart Of The Country

Heart Of The Country

4.02 of 5 stars 4.02  ·  rating details  ·  99 ratings  ·  15 reviews
Follows the lives of cowboys, buffalo hunters, Indians, pioneers, and enterprising women across the frontier of the Great Plains, in an epic tale of trials, travails, and heroes in the American West. Reprint.
Published December 1st 1997 by Pinnacle (first published April 17th 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Heart Of The Country, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Heart Of The Country

Melki
On the washstand by his bed lay a small shaving mirror. Joe picked it up and examined his face. I'm only fifteen, he told himself. I've got years and years of life ahead of me. He wondered how it was possible to endure life until old age and death. What kept people sane for so long? How did others manage it? The answer, of course, was simple: other people were not hunchbacks.

In the mid-1800s, a prominent St. Louis doctor brings home a half-breed infant who was left in a churchyard, and his life
Cindy Bouchard
Waiting impatiently for this wonderful, amazing, sorrowful, fateful book to be on kindle. Loved it when I read it years ago. Not a light-hearted read or for those who expect a fairy tale. Greg Matthews writes as clean as Larry McMurtry with the nostalgia of Robert McCammon. This book is possibly the most underrated book EVER.
Shawn
This could have been a better book if there would have been one decent likeable character. The hero of the story is a deeply resentful and troubled man who I could not warm to. He carries a deep and bitter resentment though life due to becoming a hunchback as a child and he can never rise to a place of acceptance. He hurts too many people throughout his life to feel sorry for him in the end. The writing is excellent and it was an easy read. I enjoyed the references to classic literature sprinkle ...more
Sherry Crane
This story showed so much heart ache and struggle for this young man who didn't look like everyone else. His life was rough. It wasn't a happy book but I couldn't put it down. I'm glad I read it. People sure struggled back then and a life could be snuffed out easily.
Julia
I read this book off a reading list in high school. While it is depressing it is also amazing. I highly recommend it. Once it's available via Kindle I'll be reading it again.
Paul Myrvold
A most unique western adventure with a totally unusual anti-hero an orphaned, hunchbacked, half-breed buffalo killer. It's a don't miss.
Troy
A hunchbacked buffalo hunter conquers the American west. One of the few books I reread every two or three years.
Rosemary
Excellent, authentic, American history of the West.
Rich
A melancholy book focusing on tragic loss and missed opportunities. This book is not for the faint of heart. It's not a book of "happily ever afters" but is masterfully written and really drives at the heart of human nature with stories of avarice, jealousy, and hubris. This is a book very much written in the classical style of a well done tragedy.

The main story is about Joe Cobden, half-Native American, hunchback who is spurned by society despite his incredible intellect and need for empathy de
Sandy
This was absolutely the most depressing book I have ever read! It seems nothing good happened to any of the characters. I kept reading it in the hopes that eventually someone would find happiness in life. Set in Kansas in the late 1800's the story follows a half-breed Indian raised by a doctor whose wife was mad. Granted much of the story probably was true of that period of time, but hopefully most of our ancestors fared better.
Dennis
It's been a long time sonce I read this, but it was one of the strangest books I ever read. Didnt seem to really go anywhere with the story.
Linda
Buffalo hunter and a half-breed hunchback in harsh pioneer story.
Toesnorth's mom
good, different slant on the west
Cws
W Mat
Kathy
Kathy marked it as to-read
Feb 15, 2015
Amanda
Amanda marked it as to-read
Jan 17, 2015
Mehmet.durmus
Mehmet.durmus marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2015
Neal Bailey
Neal Bailey is currently reading it
Jan 07, 2015
Angie Green
Angie Green marked it as to-read
Dec 29, 2014
Lori Tressler
Lori Tressler marked it as to-read
Feb 02, 2015
Lisa
Lisa marked it as to-read
Nov 09, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
The Further Adventures of Huckleberry Finn Power In The Blood The Wisdom of Stones Little Red Rooster One True Thing