Dropping Ashes on the Buddha: The Teachings of Zen Master Seung Sahn

Dropping Ashes on the Buddha: The Teachings of Zen Master Seung Sahn

4.3 of 5 stars 4.30  ·  rating details  ·  211 ratings  ·  19 reviews
“Somebody comes into the Zen center with a lighted cigarette, walks up to the Buddha statue, blows smoke in its face, and drops ashes on its lap. You are standing there. What can you do?” This is a problem that Zen Master Seung Sahn is fond of posing to his American students who attend his Zen centers. Dropping Ashes on the Buddha is a delightful, irreverent, and often hil...more
Published February 18th 1994 by Grove Press (first published 1976)

Andrew
A fun if sometimes bizarre read. Koan-intensive, lots of Seung Sahn focus, with some new information on Zen (from my perspective). /me slaps the ground.
Brian Park
An amazing book of Buddhist koans (kong-ans) taught by the late Seung Sahn. Seung Sahn is a Zen master and takes a very simple approach to his teaching, which makes this book especially accessible for the casual reader. To get the most out of this book, I'd suggest having some background info on Buddhism before delving in.

The book is a collection of lectures and conversations between Seung Sahn and his students. I got the impression that most of these occurred in between the late 60s and early 8...more
Dharmamitra Stefani
May 25, 2012 Dharmamitra Stefani rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Any Buddhist, Zen Practitioners especially
• So, Here's the Scenario: "Someone comes into the Zen Center with a lighted cigarette, walks up to the Buddha Statue, blows smoke in its face, and dops his ashes on the Buddha's lap. You are standing there. •What can/will You Do?"

•Wondrous Zen! The First book I was ever given, about the Dharma...and What an introduction it was! Albeit too bizarre, at the time. However, as things go in cycles, I would come back to this exact copy of "Dropping Ashes On The Buddha" (Original, first edition, paperb...more
Tsimplekelly
The Korean Buddhism that i learned about in the
Empty Circle Zen group in Hobart is based onthe teachings of Seung Sahn. I think this is a very good book to read to understand Seung Sahn, maybe not so much Buddhism.
David Birt
I liked the opening discourse on the Zen circle. I have always been fascinated by koans. Must admit to getting fatigued though from being threatened with being hit 30 times in every interaction.
Troy
I read this after coming off the heels of "Zen and the Birds of Appetite" which was fantastic. Being a big Stephen Mitchell fan girl, I was pretty excited to pick up this book to get an idea about the Zen training SM had received under Seung Sahn. Obviously this was much more Buddhist than "Birds of Appetite" as that was written by Thomas Merton, a Trappist monk. I was confused throughout this book, but that is kind of the point. I figure even practiced Buddhists might scratch their heads at som...more
Spiderfingers
Collection of talks and letters between Seung Sahn and student that are short and easy to read. He addresses a lot of questions that come up for students in practice.
Ted
This is the book that finally helped me get Zen Buddhism. It's like a series of tests, or a workbook. Amazing.
Darian
beautiful book. every little story and letter had something remarkable to teach in a very new and fresh way.
Ted
The book that finally made sense of Zen koans for me.
Phil
i like it so much, i got a tattoo of the cover
Tahir
Cleared my mind
Natalie
And then I will hit you.

I suppose my fixation on the hitting aspect of the book is more an indication of my attachment to it than anything else.

I'll re-read this book in the future for sure, as I think this book would benefit from multiple re-readings, but it's just not where I am right now. If I understand the whole 360 degree no mind thing correctly, I'm not sure Zen Buddhism is for me. I'd been reading a lot of Thich Nhat Hanh, but this is something quite different.
Joseph Nicolello
I've been dabbling in Buddhist texts all of my life. This a great forgotten book. I would give it five stars if I could find any faith more than mammalian reaction to death. For the enlightened Buddhist I am sure this is an instant five star. For me it is a great find, a class of its own, but nothing I can live by, for I don't really live by anything save fate and some nimble fingers, crossed by nocturne.
Michele
Meh, call me a Western schlump, but what's with all the hitting? Cannot get past that. Yoda, I dig. Corporal punishment as heightened awareness, not so much.
Dale
Reading this book is like getting hit by a speeding hybrid in the dark. You don't see it coming, don't hear it coming and in the end you're left plastered on the ground wondering what the hell just happened. I'm not sure if the Buddha is three pounds of flax or dried shit on a stick, but please don't hit me 30 times. KATZ!
Bob
Favorite quote: You can take your dharma and shove it up your ass!
Lily
Lily marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Caroline
Caroline marked it as to-read
Jul 22, 2014
Robert Van ess
Robert Van ess is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Tony Derricott
Tony Derricott marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Dale Wade
Dale Wade is currently reading it
Jul 20, 2014
Tony
Tony marked it as to-read
Jul 14, 2014
Stefan
Stefan marked it as to-read
Jul 13, 2014
Molly Robinson
Molly Robinson marked it as to-read
Jul 09, 2014
Lindsey
Lindsey marked it as to-read
Jul 08, 2014
  • A Buddhist Bible
  • Fuzzy Thinking: The New Science of Fuzzy Logic
  • The Meditative Mind: The Varieties of Meditative Experience
  • Buddhist Scriptures
  • A Flash of Lightning in the Dark of Night: A Guide to the Bodhisattva's Way of Life
  • Joyful Wisdom: Embracing Change and Finding Freedom
  • Zen Training: Methods And Philosophy
  • Moon in a Dewdrop: Writings of Zen Master Dogen
  • The Collected Songs of Cold Mountain
  • The Depression Book: Depression as an Opportunity for Spiritual Growth
  • The Secrets of Lost Cats: One Woman, Twenty Posters, and a New Understanding of Love
  • One-Woman Farm: The Seasons of Life Shared with Sheepdogs, Goats, Woodstoves, and a Feisty Fiddle
  • One Breath at a Time: Buddhism and the Twelve Steps
  • Buddhism without Beliefs: A Contemporary Guide to Awakening
Stephen Mitchell was educated at Amherst College, the Sorbonne, and Yale University, and de-educated through intensive Zen practice. He is widely known for his ability to make old classics thrillingly new, to step in where many have tried before and to create versions that are definitive for our time. His many books include The Gospel According to Jesus, The Second Book of the Tao, two books of fi...more
More about Stephen Mitchell...
The Enlightened Heart The Epic of Gilgamesh Gospel According to Jesus The Enlightened Mind: An Anthology of Sacred Prose The Frog Prince: A Fairy Tale for Consenting Adults

“Once Seung Sahn Soen-sa and a student of his attended a talk at a Zen center in California. The Dharma teacher spoke about Bodhidharma. After the talk, someone asked him "What's the difference between Bodhidharma's sitting in Sorim for nine years and your sitting here now?"

The Dharma teacher said, "About five thousand miles."
The questioner said, "Is that all?"
The Dharma teacher said, "Give or take a few miles."

Later on, Soen-sa asked his student, "What do you think of these answers?"
"Not bad, not good. But the dog runs after the bone."
"How would you answer?"
"I'd say, 'Why do you make a difference?' "

Soen-sa said, "Not bad. Now you ask me."
"Don't you know?"
"I'm listening."
"Bodhidharma sat in Sorim for nine years. I am sitting here now."

The student smiled.”