Blank-133x176
The Mountains of Tibet

Mordicai Gerstein

The Mountains of Tibet

4.52 of 5 stars 4.52  ·  rating details  ·  147 ratings  ·  30 reviews
A Tibetan woodcutter dreams of exploring the world, but is too busy with his life to ever leave his valley. After he dies, he is taken on a journey through the cosmos and al the places on Earth as he makes choices that lead him to a new life. First published as part of the debut list fo Barefoot Books in 1993, this gentle and inspiring look at life after death is jut as re...more
Hardcover, 1 page
Published January 1st 1987 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Mountains of Tibet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mountains of Tibet

Lara Messersmith-Glavin
Mar 29, 2008 Lara Messersmith-Glavin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to smile.
Shelves: childrens-mg-ya
I'm obsessed with children's literature - I think I'm secretly convinced that all the wisdom a person acquires in one's life is absorbed by the age of 9, after which point it's all testing things out and getting hurt and excited and disappointed and reinspired...I'm not sure that I ever had such an uncluttered view of the universe and the infinite as I did when I was 6 or 7 years old.

This book, along with many others, appeals to that capacity that children have for gentle wisdom and universals....more
Nikita Shah
This is a story about life after death, reincarnation. It goes through the life of a boy flying a kite, then grows up into an adult and grown old in his village where he then dies. The story continues by giving the man options of what he who/what he would like to be in his next life. Each page has beautiful pictures depicting the words to draw attention to the beauty in life.

I think this is a good book to use for children when in RE or PHSCE when discussing life after death or when dealing with...more
J-Lynn
An excellent introduction to the Buddhist concept of reincarnation. The author wrote the story based on his reading of the Tibetan Book of the Dead and designed the intricate water color pictures after traditional Tibetan artwork.
Kara
This deceptively simple book explores questions about choices, life, death, and how we are all people.
Elizabethsara
One of my favorite children's books ever. I get emotional every time. Such an gentle sweet story of continuous life. I particularly love how the soul chooses it's new parents and new home, showing that it has been in the right place all along.
Gilana
This book is pure beauty, in both illustration and story. I read it when I was a small child and I'm fairly certain my entire belief system regarding what happens after you die was influenced by this book.
MM
Super sweet, lovely illustrations -- about choices and living, and death and reincarnation.
Arturo
The Mountains of Tibet by Mordicai Gerstein is a great book for a reader, of ages 10 and up, who had their own interpretation of what happens in the after-life.

This small tale follows a boy in Tibet who grows up having fulfilling a fraction of his dreams before he...

Read the The Mountains of Tibet, and discover a new perspective on life full of fantasies.
Heather
32 months - maybe a book on reincarnation is not the best book to read with a 2 1/2 year old the day after our dog died. Or maybe it is... Who knows. I liked the story and we might revisit it at another time. O was not willing to sit and listen once she knew the topic.
Jenna
Nov 27, 2007 Jenna rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all children
This was probably my favorite book when I was little. It tells this story of a man who dies and basically get reincarnated into whatever he might want to be in his next life. It's really sweet and has the most gorgeous illustrations. love it for kids!
Cindy
Sweet story about a boy who lives a long life in a mountain valley, longing to see the world. Then after he dies, he is offered the chance to be born again, anywhere, in any form. Some might be surprised at his choice.
Julie Suzanne
About reincarnation; a good UU or Hindu (I think) read to cope with the death of a loved one (including animals). Much less childish than the other ones I read--definitely not just a children's book.
Thomasin
What a lovely book. The pictures are fabulous and the story is heartwarming. Note: you can't be all freaked-out over reincarnation. But assuming you're not, you'll love the book (and might just cry a bit).
Steve
I'm not a fan of reincarnation, in that it seems a kind of metaphysic in some people's hands. But as a Buddhist, I don't dismiss the idea totally. This is an interesting book with beautiful illustrations
Minna
I read this book as a young girl, and found it so special and strange and comforting and unfamiliar. It found me later, on the free shelf at the Holyoke Library, just waiting for me.
Kit
Aug 28, 2007 Kit rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This book is so beautiful. It explains reincarnation to children in a artful and careful way. Even if you aren't Buddhist this book will resonate with your child and his/her dreams.
Ellie
This offers a kid friendly view of reincarnation.
A beautifully illustrated story of reincarnation. This is an appropriate and wonderfully positive way to introduce children to the idea of multiple lives.
Taylor
A basic, beautiful introduction to the concepts of reincarnation. Lovely pictures and extremely lyrical, delightful-to-read prose.
katie
totally accessible with fantastic illustrations and good narrative. much less daunting than the actual tibetan book of the dead.
PK Reeves
Beautiful tale on Tibet's belief on karma see review on Aisle B http://aisleb.tumblr.com/post/1043650...
Stargazer
Fantastic way to introduce the idea of reincarnation to a child, my kids loved this book.
Matt
One of my newer all-time favorite illustrated stories... Simply gorgeous.
Elizabeth
Very interesting. Based off of the Tibetan Book of the Dead.
Camden
Really sweet story, wonderful illustrations.
Dana Stabenow
Great book to help a child through a death.
Tabitha
Lovely! This book is absolutely Lovely.
Nenia Campbell
This is another little gem from my childhood. It's about reincarnation, and takes the ideas from the Tibetan Book of the Dead and puts them in a child-friendly format replete with gorgeous illustrations.

I seem to remember there being a lot of mandalas...

Looking back, I have to say: my parents had incredibly good taste when it came to children's books.
Mckinley
How we got here sort of...
Gerald
  • Whoever You Are
  • Ming Lo Moves the Mountain
  • A Picture for Harold's Room
  • On the Day You Were Born
Mordicai Gerstein is the author and illustrator of The Man Who Walked Between the Towers, winner of the Caldecott Medal, and has had four books named New York Times Best Illustrated Books of the Year. Gerstein was born in Los Angeles in 1935. He remembers being inspired as a child by images of fine art, which his mother cut out of Life magazine, and by children’s books from the library: “I looked...more
More about Mordicai Gerstein...
The Man Who Walked Between the Towers A Book The Old Country The First Drawing How to Bicycle to the Moon to Plant Sunflowers: A Simple but Brilliant Plan in 24 Easy Steps