Start by marking “The Mountains of Tibet” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
The Mountains of Tibet
Mordicai Gerstein

The Mountains of Tibet

In a tiny village, high in the mountains of Tibet, lives a woodcutter. All his life he has longed to travel to faraway places, to see the world. But he grows old without ever leaving the mountian. When he dies, he is suddenly offered the chance to live another life, in any form he wants, anywhere in the galaxies. Carefully he decides... and finds himself in a place he neve ...more
Hardcover, 1 page
Published January 1st 1987 by HarperCollins Publishers

To ask other readers questions about The Mountains of Tibet, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Mountains of Tibet

Sep 24, 2016 Miriam rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Miriam by: Lynne A
I'm really not sure who this book is for or what I thought of it.

Probably it is not the best introduction for a child who has not already been introduced to the ideas of death and reincarnation. This is a very specific concept of reincarnation, too, which is not the same as many people's belief concerning how reincarnation works.

After living all his life in one spot, an old man dies (peacefully, I guess; it is glossed over) and finds himself floating in the cosmos where he must choose whether or
Lara Messersmith-Glavin
Mar 29, 2008 Lara Messersmith-Glavin rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: anyone who likes to smile.
Shelves: childrens-mg-ya
I'm obsessed with children's literature - I think I'm secretly convinced that all the wisdom a person acquires in one's life is absorbed by the age of 9, after which point it's all testing things out and getting hurt and excited and disappointed and reinspired...I'm not sure that I ever had such an uncluttered view of the universe and the infinite as I did when I was 6 or 7 years old.

This book, along with many others, appeals to that capacity that children have for gentle wisdom and universals.
Nikita Shah
Jan 21, 2014 Nikita Shah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a story about life after death, reincarnation. It goes through the life of a boy flying a kite, then grows up into an adult and grown old in his village where he then dies. The story continues by giving the man options of what he who/what he would like to be in his next life. Each page has beautiful pictures depicting the words to draw attention to the beauty in life.

I think this is a good book to use for children when in RE or PHSCE when discussing life after death or when dealing with
Kristen Jaques
Moved me to tears. Amazing message
Antoinette Perez
Sweet, short children's book that covers the concept of reincarnation.
An excellent introduction to the Buddhist concept of reincarnation. The author wrote the story based on his reading of the Tibetan Book of the Dead and designed the intricate water color pictures after traditional Tibetan artwork.
Joshua Buhs
Oct 01, 2015 Joshua Buhs rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: b12, weird, comics, ya
The art is wonderful, particularly in the later pages, when the focus is on the creatures and people inhabiting earth.

The story is a bit more difficult to wrap my head around. It ends as though it is trying--in the conventional style of American children's books--to make a moralistic point. I think the author and publisher believe there is a point: but the story doesn't really build to or justify the ending.

There seems to be a bit of a disconnect between the Tibetan tradition which inspired the
Feb 18, 2009 Kara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This deceptively simple book explores questions about choices, life, death, and how we are all people.
Michele Karmartsang
I've always loved this book. Raising Tibetan-American kids, it so simply explained the idea of reincarnation. It's been years since we talked about it, but I think I remember my husband (the Tibetan) feeling that the conscious choices the woodcutter made aren't quite right, but for a kid's book it did alright. I think for a fictionalization of what we cannot know, it does a great job of illustrating the attachment to our previous life that Buddhists believe carry through to the next life, but ar ...more
Emma Roulette
Oct 27, 2015 Emma Roulette rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I have been trying to find the name of this book for a really long time. My mom gave this to me when I was little. I remember, for years after, believing in reincarnation, delighting in the possibilities of my future life. This book is beautifully illustrated with a gentle, touching message that guides you deep into your own imagination, long after finishing the book.
Dec 21, 2015 Melissa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This beautiful story brought a tear to my eye. A simple, straightforward retelling of a key aspect from The Tibetan Book of the Dead. The universe allows the man's soul every possible choice, but beauty and love guide him back to his home. Looking forward to sharing this with Jackson and Brenner.
Jul 31, 2014 Elizabethsara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite children's books ever. I get emotional every time. Such an gentle sweet story of continuous life. I particularly love how the soul chooses it's new parents and new home, showing that it has been in the right place all along.
Melia Hill
Jun 20, 2016 Melia Hill rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While a quick read (it is a picture book after all), this one gave me a short bout of chills from the wonderful reincarnation story and I just love the illustrations!!
I can't believe this one fell under my radar for 3 years!
This multicultural and inspiration book about life and death tells the story of a boy who was born high up in the mountains of Tibet and he loved to fly kites. The story continues to tell the story of his life up until his death. Kind of like what we see what happens when we die. But also this story is about reincarnation.

Great for kids who wonder what happens when we pass away.

Great for 1st-2nd graders
Linda Ciano
Apr 18, 2015 Linda Ciano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my all-time favorite children's books. When my kids were younger, we loved to read it together. The illustrations are rich and vivid, and the story is wonderfully sweet without being cloying. An absolute joy.
Mar 14, 2014 Gilana rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is pure beauty, in both illustration and story. I read it when I was a small child and I'm fairly certain my entire belief system regarding what happens after you die was influenced by this book.
Marissa García
A quiet and highly sophisticated book discussing the enormous topic of reincarnation with rare grace and simplicity. Bravo.
Jan 25, 2016 Eryn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: spiritual
I thought it was a very nice story because when the man died he was able to choose another life.
Jun 22, 2014 MM rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Super sweet, lovely illustrations -- about choices and living, and death and reincarnation.
May 08, 2012 Arturo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The Mountains of Tibet by Mordicai Gerstein is a great book for a reader, of ages 10 and up, who had their own interpretation of what happens in the after-life.

This small tale follows a boy in Tibet who grows up having fulfilling a fraction of his dreams before he...

Read the The Mountains of Tibet, and discover a new perspective on life full of fantasies.
Feb 01, 2012 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: from-library
32 months - maybe a book on reincarnation is not the best book to read with a 2 1/2 year old the day after our dog died. Or maybe it is... Who knows. I liked the story and we might revisit it at another time. O was not willing to sit and listen once she knew the topic.
Nov 27, 2007 Jenna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: all children
This was probably my favorite book when I was little. It tells this story of a man who dies and basically get reincarnated into whatever he might want to be in his next life. It's really sweet and has the most gorgeous illustrations. love it for kids!
Dec 22, 2013 Cindy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: picture-books
Sweet story about a boy who lives a long life in a mountain valley, longing to see the world. Then after he dies, he is offered the chance to be born again, anywhere, in any form. Some might be surprised at his choice.
Julie Suzanne
About reincarnation; a good UU or Hindu (I think) read to cope with the death of a loved one (including animals). Much less childish than the other ones I read--definitely not just a children's book.
Aug 12, 2010 Thomasin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
What a lovely book. The pictures are fabulous and the story is heartwarming. Note: you can't be all freaked-out over reincarnation. But assuming you're not, you'll love the book (and might just cry a bit).
Dec 11, 2011 Steve rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not a fan of reincarnation, in that it seems a kind of metaphysic in some people's hands. But as a Buddhist, I don't dismiss the idea totally. This is an interesting book with beautiful illustrations
Jul 25, 2008 Minna rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I read this book as a young girl, and found it so special and strange and comforting and unfamiliar. It found me later, on the free shelf at the Holyoke Library, just waiting for me.
Aug 28, 2007 Kit rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: EVERYONE
This book is so beautiful. It explains reincarnation to children in a artful and careful way. Even if you aren't Buddhist this book will resonate with your child and his/her dreams.
This offers a kid friendly view of reincarnation.
May 03, 2012 Laura rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A beautifully illustrated story of reincarnation. This is an appropriate and wonderfully positive way to introduce children to the idea of multiple lives.
  • Buffalo Woman
  • How a Seed Grows
  • Down Comes the Rain
  • The Serpent Came to Gloucester
  • How the Stars Fell into the Sky: A Navajo Legend
Mordicai Gerstein is the author and illustrator of The Man Who Walked Between the Towers, winner of the Caldecott Medal, and has had four books named New York Times Best Illustrated Books of the Year. Gerstein was born in Los Angeles in 1935. He remembers being inspired as a child by images of fine art, which his mother cut out of Life magazine, and by children’s books from the library: “I looked ...more
More about Mordicai Gerstein...