Start by marking “The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings: The Amazing Myths, Legends and Facts Behind the Masterpiece” as Want to Read:

4.10  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,863 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
The author who revealed the myths behind J.K. Rowling's creatures now tackles literature's most beloved epic fantasy, by bringing to light the legends that influenced J.R.R. Tolkien--and answering pertinent questions ranging from Why do Hobbits live in holes? to When in the world is Middle-earth?
Published October 1st 2002 by Berkley Trade (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Magical Worlds of Lord of the Rings

Tom Schulte
Dec 09, 2011 Tom Schulte rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Subtitled The Amazing Myths, Legends, and Facts Behind the Masterpiece, this book was obviously put together with the audience in mind that has been only now exposed to Tolkien's work through the latest film treatment. For instance, the final chapter discusses Frodo's actions in Mordor and since Peter Jackson, at least, has not put his vision of this on the silver screen, the chapter is segmented off as a "spoiler." Author David Colbert knows how to do these books, as he wrote the successful The ...more
Vitta
Feb 01, 2014 Vitta rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
Зачастую части статей повторяются в других, а так - очень увлекательное и познавательное чтиво.
Min
Apr 12, 2016 Min rated it liked it
A quick, and amusing read that offers brief analysis and origins of the LOTR series. If one is seeking more in depth study of the works, there are references to assist one. He quotes often from letters Tolkein wrote to express his personal opinions, as much as could be discovered, that relate to the tale.
I also chose this book to avoid convolution between Tolkein's religious beliefs, and the books being a religious treatise. This work points out that there are moral motivations for the characte
Nico
Mar 06, 2015 Nico rated it really liked it
I finished all in one quick sitting. it was informative. it wasn't comprehensive enough to use as a good source for research but just enough to get you started, and perhaps interested in doing research on the many works that inspired Tolkien. I wished this book was more in depth and academic. it was very casual light reading, but it was good.
Tanya
Jul 30, 2015 Tanya rated it it was ok
I wouldn't want to discourage anyone from reading more into Lord of the Rings, but this book is for beginners to the world of Tolkien. So, this book would likely rate high for a young, newbie to this world. However, if you are looking for real insight and adult ideas, this isn't really the place. The book introduces some nice ideas related to Lord of the Rings, but that's it. Just nuggets of ideas that are mentioned and then the next one is moved on to. I also really hate books that have little ...more
Yovano N.
Bisa juga dibaca di sini: http://kandangbaca.blogspot.com/2014/...

Tahun ini saya berencana membaca ulang seluruh karya Tolkien yang telah diterjemahkan di Indonesia, mulai dari The Hobbit hingga trilogi The Lord of The Rings (mungkin juga menonton ulang filmnya). Nah, untuk mempersiapkan perjalanan saya memasuki kembali dunia rekaan Tolkien (cieeh), saya memutuskan untuk membaca buku ini sebagai pengantar.

The Magical Worlds of The Lord of The Rings (Dunia Ajaib The Lord of The Rings) karya David
Linda
May 14, 2014 Linda added it
Very interesting compendium of facts behind the story of Lord of the Rings. One thing I like is when a book leads me to other books, and this one has a great deal of fodder scattered throughout, not the least of which is the Tolkien biography by Humphrey Carpenter. I will definitely check that out, as well as some of the others in the bibliography!
This author has a nice easy style and the chapters are short but very informative, which makes for easy reading. I love the little asides and all the
Lucinda
Oct 28, 2012 Lucinda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: j-r-r-tolkien
The magic of The Lord of the Rings brought to life with fascinating facts, myths and legends…a chocolate box full of delights!

Any aficionado of ‘The Lord of the Rings’ films and the books by JRR Tolkien that inspired the fanaticism, will love this book by David Colbert who is the author of the bestselling ‘The magical worlds of Harry Potter’. The dazzling, spellbinding cover is what initially drew my attention towards this book that fascinated me with its intriguing blurb. Why are Tolkien’s Elv
Mikayla
Aug 09, 2015 Mikayla rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a really interesting read. There were a few points I didn't agree with with a lack of evidence to support the authors point but other then then the information was well supported. Certainly worth a read.
Meghan
Jan 07, 2012 Meghan rated it really liked it
This was a super fun and informative read! :D As a huge lover of everything LotR I loved this book! Full of fun facts and interesting facts that I loved learning. I learned lots of new things that I was before completely unaware of :) If you are a LotR fan or even just a fan of Tolkein you would really enjoy this book =) You could be a movie or a book fan or both! and there is only one spoiler in the book and the author gives you fair warning before the chapter including such spoiler, so if you' ...more
Amalie
Dec 11, 2014 Amalie rated it really liked it
The format of the book looks like it's aimed at the young readers --- perhaps not children, because children wouldn't read "Lord Of The Rings" but young adults- yes. The cover of the book says " This book was not authorized, prepared, approved, licensed, or endorsed by the estate of J.R.R. Tolkien..." Doesn't sound very promising, right? WRONG! Reading this you'll realize that David Colbert has obviously done his homework.

Can't add anything else without spoilers but this is worth reading. For a
Swati Prasad
Sep 16, 2015 Swati Prasad rated it really liked it
Reading this book was like getting to know Tolkien. How his mind worked, what was he thinking, dreaming and desired of while writing an epic like Lord of the Rings.
Christy
Feb 03, 2013 Christy rated it really liked it
I had a really hard time wading through the Silmarillion and gave up after about 150 pages. But after reading this book, I'm inspired to go back and give it another try. I appreciated the ties to other myths and legends as well as the history of the LOTR novels and Tolkien's expertise. Some of the insight given in this book has also enlightened me to some of the unexplained character mysteries that I just gave up on trying to understand when I read the trilogy and Silmarillion. It's easy to unde ...more
Mia Silva
May 30, 2015 Mia Silva rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting; I know a lot about Lord of the Rings, including background details, but the author still managed to add in some things I did not know.
D.M.M. Ribeiro
Jan 03, 2015 D.M.M. Ribeiro rated it it was amazing
Bastante interessante, é bom ler-se quando se acaba de ler a trilogia do Senhor dos Anéis. Tem factos bastante interessantes sobre o autor e os livros.
Helen
Aug 27, 2015 Helen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very interesting, although a little dated - does not include much about the Lord of the Rings or the Hobbit movies that have been released. Like the Q&A format of the book.
Karel
Nov 24, 2013 Karel rated it liked it
This book is so light and enjoyable,that it was my right before bedtime book. While I love Tolkien LotR (including The Hobbit), Im not a hard core fan: I havent read his biography, the letters and all the side stories he wrote (except the Silmarillion which I did not enjoy). This book, I think, is for people like me, so it tells the stories behind the story and small facts that I didnt know, about the thoughts of Tolkien of his own world and characters and even the ancient leyends that inspired ...more
Rebecca
Feb 19, 2014 Rebecca rated it liked it
I finished this title in just over an hour on a Sunday afternoon. It's a good beginning book for a Tolkien newbie and entertaining.
Ben
Oct 23, 2014 Ben rated it liked it
A good book for LOTR fans. It doesn't go over everything, and it seems a little random, but it's fun.
Missdemeanor
Apr 13, 2015 Missdemeanor rated it liked it
Not terrible, good background information, but not for people who are OBSESSED with Tolkien.
Diah Ayu
Feb 28, 2009 Diah Ayu rated it really liked it
pas baca buku ini rasanya aku jadi pingin baca ulang semua LOTR-ku. soalnya uda lupa2 inget gitu sih sama detail ceritanya (ya iyalah, detail sebanyaaakkk ituuu...).

di buku ini dijelaskan apa yang kurang-lebih ada di pikirannya Tolkien waktu nulis LOTR. bahwa yang sebenernya pertama kali dibikin adalah The Hobbit, lalu The Simillarion, dan ternyata LOTR ini sendiri 'hanya' merupakan jalan tengah supaya The Hobbit nyambung sama The Simillarion.

tapi entah karena aku uda agak2 lupa sama LOTR-nya at
Siim
Jan 07, 2013 Siim rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"Kääbiku" ekraniseeringu kiiluvees leidsin end hoidmas seda pealtnäha viljatut, kuid ilusat raamatukest. Minu üllatuseks peitus suure kirja ning ohtrate piltide taga aga midagi palju enamat - sünopsis Tolkieni biograafiast, mõttemaailmast ning Keskmaa tekkeloost - hüppelaud ühe suure kirjaniku maailma. Raamat tekitas minus tõsise huvi Tolkieni kui kirjaniku ja inimese vastu. Igati tänuväärt teos, mis kindlasti ei pane pettuma Tolkieni veel avastavaid diletante.
Darth Olive
Aug 15, 2011 Darth Olive rated it liked it
Read this today while in the process of going through old books, sorting for what to sell and keep. I found it a fun, easy read; certainly best for beginners.
I hope/plan to one day to re-read (and actually finish) The Lord of the Rings, and I'm sure knowing something about the historical, mythical, etc. inspirations behind it will help me do that; this book was a great way to find out about those things.
Eliza
Aug 12, 2007 Eliza rated it liked it
Recommends it for: LOTR Fans
Shelves:
a Must Have book for everybody who fell in love with Tolkien LOTR :)

See the fact behind the Masterpiece and what inspire Tolkien in creating Middle Earth World...
why Tolkien Elves so Tall?
why u can not trust Galadrier mirror?
why a very not HERO type's Frodo become the Main Character?

U can't find the answer from Galadrier mirror, but U can find the answer here... ^^
Fatini Zulkifli
Aug 26, 2015 Fatini Zulkifli rated it it was amazing
Shelves: eng-encyclopedia
The best book reviewing Lord of The Rings. It answers why do Dwarves and Elves dislike each other (which explains why Legolas and Gimli always quarreled), why do Elves live so long, Who (or what is Gandalf), where in the world is Middle-Earth, how did Orcs get so ugly, Who was Tolkien's first Dark Lord etc. A must read for Lord of The Rings geek.
Ainoa
Nov 11, 2013 Ainoa rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Very well organised, it gives information suitable for both Tolkien savvies and new comers to Middle Earth. Though it treats several subjects, it manages to give very thorough information in little space, and it does it in a clear manner.

I enjoyed very much this book and would recommend it to anyone interested in Middle Earth.
Ruben
Jan 20, 2014 Ruben rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Amanda
Jan 15, 2009 Amanda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: reference
This rather short and sweet treasury of facts is a little brief and ecclectic to be too informative, but gives the reader a good enough understanding of the background material that they can choose to delve further into the areas that interest them most. Great for new fans who want a little more.
Samantha
May 10, 2013 Samantha rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
Much like the Harry Potter version, this book delves into the mythology and legends behind the series, including what Professor Tolkein used when creating the world. Absolutely fascinating and worth reading by other writers to see the amazing skill and craft into writing such amazing literature.
Sheri
Jun 19, 2012 Sheri rated it really liked it
For such a short book that is very easy to read I was surprised by some of the interesting information about Tolkien it contained. I would have liked to learn more but I think this book is a very good introduction to understanding the deeper meanings and the source of these really amazing stories.
  • Hobbits, Elves and Wizards: The Wonders and Worlds of J.R.R. Tolkien's 'The Lord of the Rings'
  • Tolkien's Ring
  • The Origins of Tolkien's Middle-Earth for Dummies
  • Meditations on Middle Earth: New Writing on the Worlds of J. R. R. Tolkien
  • The Tolkien Companion
  • Gollum: How We Made Movie Magic
  • Tolkien's Ordinary Virtues: Exploring the Spiritual Themes of the Lord of the Rings
  • Tolkien: A Look Behind the Lord of the Rings
  • Understanding The Lord of the Rings: The Best of Tolkien Criticism
  • The Lord of the Rings and Philosophy: One Book to Rule Them All
  • The Rough Guide to the Lord of the Rings: Everything You Ever Wanted to Know about Middle-Earth
  • A Gateway to Sindarin: A Grammar of an Elvish Language from JRR Tolkien's Lord of the Rings
  • The Shaping of Middle-Earth (The History of Middle-earth, #4)
  • There and Back Again: An Actor's Tale