Start by marking “Sunday Morning” as Want to Read:
Sunday Morning

Judith Viorst

Sunday Morning

3.83  ·  Rating Details  ·  77 Ratings  ·  19 Reviews
Two boys create a lot of havoc while waiting for their parents to get up on Sunday morning.
Published March 31st 1993 by Turtleback Books (first published 1968)

To ask other readers questions about Sunday Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunday Morning

Sylvester
Nov 18, 2015 Sylvester rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
5* art
4* story

Definitely not PC. Hahahahahaha. Oh I laughed. Amazing silhouette illustrations - most of the humour is left unsaid, which makes this another perfect marriage of author and illustrator.

Afraid to read this to Squirt more than once or twice at this stage. It's amazing how many books are about kids destroying a house. I'm going to lock this one up in the safe. Squirt just listened wide-eyed, but I thought, "NO. This one we will nip in the bud." I'll read it to him again when he's got
Julie Decker
Feb 11, 2014 Julie Decker rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
My favorite aspect of this book was the incredibly expressive, evocative illustrations. Shadow figures depict two imaginative boys trying to quietly have fun until their parents will consent to get out of bed. But boy do they have a lot of adventures before 9:45 AM hits.

The choices the artist made with the boys' body language were so refreshingly engaging; you could just feel the energy in those rooms as the children misbehaved, fought each other, made up ridiculous scenarios that felt like Seri
Kayla
Feb 11, 2012 Kayla rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I am utterly disappointed in this book and can't for the life of me figure out how it has managed a 4-star rating. I generally love Judith Viorst, but the only good thing about Sunday Morning is Hilary Knight's artwork. Sadly, even that couldn't bring this one up a star. What's the problem, you may be asking. Here's a list:
-The story begins with a mother and father coming home late one Saturday night and informing the elder of their two young sons that they basically don't want to see the kids'
Michelle McBeth
The parents come home very late Saturday night. They tell the older boy (unnamed) not to wake up the parents in the morning until 9:45am. The problem is the boy cannot stay in bed. He tries, but finally gets up at 7:00 am. He is bored. So he wakes up his brother Nick. This makes Nick cry and the parents begin to get upset. The boys make lots of messes and noises over the next two hours. Every so often the parents yell through the wall, "Some boys are going to get spanked." They boys play on unti ...more
Emma
May 21, 2011 Emma rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
There wasn't anything special about this book. Sure, it was silly and we can all relate, but is this even sort of memorable? Also, I wasn't a fan of the use of God in this book. I will be teaching my children not to use the name of God in vain so this will contradict that.
Joseph
This was one of my absolute favorite books from my childhood. My mother would read this to me many times as a child. It has such fun antics the two brothers get into; they are just rowdy children who can't sleep at night and seek for something to do. I sometimes felt like the two boys because I would try to find something fun to do in my room at night, but have to be quiet. I loved how mom read the story to me: she used different voices for the characters and would point out all the different tr ...more
Swankivy
Apr 22, 2013 Swankivy rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One word: illustrations! The art in this shadow-world storybook is astounding. Despite having less detail available for facial expressions because the characters are silhouettes with eyes until the last page, the extraordinary movement and personality embedded in these characters is so much more compelling than just the narration itself. Two little boys, big brother Anthony and little brother Nick, are instructed to let their parents sleep until 9:45 AM Sunday morning. But this is a tall order f ...more
Taylor Cooper
Sep 02, 2015 Taylor Cooper rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoyed this book! I loved the colors incorporated into the illustrations as well as the story line. The main character just cracked me up! I definitely recommend!
Paula
Michael Fitzgerald
No big deal. Dumb ending. The illustrations are nice, on the whole.
Kendra
Jun 12, 2015 Kendra rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: children-s-books
Judith Viorst is a hero in our house...what other author gets boys in a timeless manner? This story has mine in stitches every time...and talk of spankings and boys pretending to have guns might be scandalous today, but I can't get all up on arms about it, because this is what would happen if my husband and I both got to sleep in (not the spankings part, just the mischief)...someday, just for fun, i will do just that and set up some video cameras to catch the chaos in action.
Shawn Camp
Aug 27, 2013 Shawn Camp rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2013
Couldn't stand the illustrations, and the story has no real message for kids, but there is an underlying message for parents to think on. We may wish our kids to relax a bit on a weekend morning so we could sleep in, but a kids mind is in overdrive at this age and the amount of play, projects, games, and etc that they can begin and move on to is huge. So when we say give us an extra 30, 60, or more minutes think back to what were really asking them.
Rebecca
Two boys are told very firmly not to wake their parents up before 9:45 AM. So how much of a mess can they make before then? A lot! Illustrated in silhouttes.

I love how this book shows rather than tells just what’s going on, though even if you hear just the text, you still know exactly what’s happening and all its implications. Excellent sense of timing in the flow of the text.
Rachael
What do you do on Sunday morning?
Why do we capitalize "Sunday"?
What do you like to do with your brother or sister?
Can you believe the mess they must have made?

An introduction to writing in the Personal Narrative category. What sort of stories can we tell? Is there more than one perspective that this story could have been told in? (little brother, mom, dad)
Bryan
Aug 11, 2007 Bryan rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: juvenilefiction
This is a children's book that is so not for children. This book will make any adult laugh and remember almost getting their ass beat as a child-love it!!

Jossalyn
Jan 06, 2013 Jossalyn rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
most delightful little book; irresistible illustrations.
Kirsten
Feb 11, 2008 Kirsten rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kirsten by: Bernadette
This is what Sunday mornings are all about.
Jim
Sep 12, 2011 Jim rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
the art is fantastic!
Alane
Oct 29, 2007 Alane rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: with-my-kids
The art is magical.
Nicole Shrestha
Nicole Shrestha marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2016
Hope
Hope added it
Feb 12, 2016
Lara
Lara marked it as to-read
Jan 25, 2016
Rachel Cross
Rachel Cross marked it as to-read
Jan 02, 2016
Sarah added it
Nov 17, 2015
Katie Fitzgerald
Katie Fitzgerald rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Kim Kaso
Kim Kaso rated it it was amazing
Aug 08, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Judith Viorst is the author of several works of fiction and non-fiction for children as well as adults. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, her most famous children's book, was first published in 1972 and has since sold over two million copies. Ms. Viorst received a B.A. in History from Rutgers University, and she is also a graduate of the Washington Psychoanalytic Institu ...more
More about Judith Viorst...