Start by marking “Sunday Morning” as Want to Read:
Sunday Morning

Judith Viorst

Sunday Morning

3.88 of 5 stars 3.88  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  13 reviews
It's Sunday morning, very early Sunday morning. Anthony and Nicholas are not supposed to wake their parents before 9:45 am. (Whenever that is.) Certainly, three puzzles falling off a shelf isn't enough to wake them. And what about some music or a game of boat in the living room? These wouldn't wake them up, would they?

But when Nick really yells help, the know they're in t

32 pages
Published by Turtleback Books (first published September 1st 1930)

To ask other readers questions about Sunday Morning, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sunday Morning

Julie Decker
My favorite aspect of this book was the incredibly expressive, evocative illustrations. Shadow figures depict two imaginative boys trying to quietly have fun until their parents will consent to get out of bed. But boy do they have a lot of adventures before 9:45 AM hits.

The choices the artist made with the boys' body language were so refreshingly engaging; you could just feel the energy in those rooms as the children misbehaved, fought each other, made up ridiculous scenarios that felt like Seri
Emma
There wasn't anything special about this book. Sure, it was silly and we can all relate, but is this even sort of memorable? Also, I wasn't a fan of the use of God in this book. I will be teaching my children not to use the name of God in vain so this will contradict that.
Kayla
I am utterly disappointed in this book and can't for the life of me figure out how it has managed a 4-star rating. I generally love Judith Viorst, but the only good thing about Sunday Morning is Hilary Knight's artwork. Sadly, even that couldn't bring this one up a star. What's the problem, you may be asking. Here's a list:
-The story begins with a mother and father coming home late one Saturday night and informing the elder of their two young sons that they basically don't want to see the kids'
Swankivy
One word: illustrations! The art in this shadow-world storybook is astounding. Despite having less detail available for facial expressions because the characters are silhouettes with eyes until the last page, the extraordinary movement and personality embedded in these characters is so much more compelling than just the narration itself. Two little boys, big brother Anthony and little brother Nick, are instructed to let their parents sleep until 9:45 AM Sunday morning. But this is a tall order f ...more
Shawn Camp
Couldn't stand the illustrations, and the story has no real message for kids, but there is an underlying message for parents to think on. We may wish our kids to relax a bit on a weekend morning so we could sleep in, but a kids mind is in overdrive at this age and the amount of play, projects, games, and etc that they can begin and move on to is huge. So when we say give us an extra 30, 60, or more minutes think back to what were really asking them.
Kendra
Judith Viorst is a hero in our house...what other author gets boys in a timeless manner? This story has mine in stitches every time...and talk of spankings and boys pretending to have guns might be scandalous today, but I can't get all up on arms about it, because this is what would happen if my husband and I both got to sleep in...someday, just for fun, i will do just that and set up some video cameras to catch the chaos in action.
Rebecca
Two boys are told very firmly not to wake their parents up before 9:45 AM. So how much of a mess can they make before then? A lot! Illustrated in silhouttes.

I love how this book shows rather than tells just what’s going on, though even if you hear just the text, you still know exactly what’s happening and all its implications. Excellent sense of timing in the flow of the text.
Rachael
What do you do on Sunday morning?
Why do we capitalize "Sunday"?
What do you like to do with your brother or sister?
Can you believe the mess they must have made?

An introduction to writing in the Personal Narrative category. What sort of stories can we tell? Is there more than one perspective that this story could have been told in? (little brother, mom, dad)
Bryan
This is a children's book that is so not for children. This book will make any adult laugh and remember almost getting their ass beat as a child-love it!!

Jossalyn
most delightful little book; irresistible illustrations.
Kirsten
Feb 11, 2008 Kirsten rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Kirsten by: Bernadette
This is what Sunday mornings are all about.
Jim
the art is fantastic!
Alane
The art is magical.
Simone
Simone marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Andréa
Andréa marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Anita
Anita added it
Apr 12, 2014
Christina Browne
Christina Browne marked it as to-read
Mar 14, 2014
Teresa
Teresa marked it as to-read
Mar 11, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Judith Viorst is the author of several works of fiction and non-fiction for children as well as adults. Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day, her most famous children's book, was first published in 1972 and has since sold over two million copies. Ms. Viorst received a B.A. in History from Rutgers University, and she is also a graduate of the Washington Psychoanalytic Institu ...more
More about Judith Viorst...
Alexander and the Terrible, Horrible, No Good, Very Bad Day Alexander, Who Used to Be Rich Last Sunday Necessary Losses: The Loves Illusions Dependencies and Impossible Expectations That All of us Have Lulu and the Brontosaurus Alexander, Who's Not (Do You Hear Me? I Mean It!) Going to Move