Abigail Adams: A Biography

Abigail Adams: A Biography

3.83 of 5 stars 3.83  ·  rating details  ·  30 ratings  ·  9 reviews

Abigail Adams was the daughter of a country parson, a lively, brilliant girl of eighteen when she met the fiery young lawyer, John Adams. Immediately attracted to the "best educated woman he had ever met," John "did not scorn to share with her a man's world." After their marriage Abigail was her husband's full partner and confidant in all he did, and from her first simple

Published January 15th 2002 by William S Konecky Assoc

Nancy
Oct 21, 2009 Nancy rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Anyone interested in the early days of this country and of the "founding mothers."
I thoroughly enjoyed this portrayal of a typically New England woman. Her practicality and sensibility, as well as her intelligence make her a fascinating person, well-suited to be the wife/companion to John Adams, as well as a First Lady of the new nation of America. I would have loved for the book to have covered all of her life, from birth to death, especially the years as wife of the United States President. Her wisdom, charm, grace and wit, as well as her genuine love of people, would have...more
Jill
Quick look at life of an extraordinary woman. I usually like a bit more depth and details to biographies. However, I really learned a lot from reading about Abigail as a mother. She wasn't afraid to let her children spread their wings, no matter what it might mean for her personally. Taught me a lot about the type of mother I want to be. A good read for someone who wants a basic look into our Second First Lady.
David Schroeder
The book is a bit dated as it is from 1947 but I enjoyed learning more about one of my favorite Americans. Abigail's insights into the personalities and events surrounding the founding of our country are priceless.
Martha Roy
In the middle of the worst heat wave in recent New England history, I am gaining even more respect for the women before us. If you want a definitively researched AAdams bio, this is it.
Eliz
This book uses extensive quotes from the actual letters of the Adams family, and gives a wonderful view of the their personalities in a way just writing the facts can't.
Rita Dawson
Excellent reading of Abigail Adams before settling down with John and raising his children. If you liked John Adams by David McCullough, you'll like this
Anthony
She was quite the woman and wife. Her love affair with her husband was one to admire except for a tryst with Tom???
Glesnertod
I felt this to be more about John and the Issues of the American Revolution that about Abigail.
Elizabeth Cookson
Elizabeth Cookson marked it as to-read
Jul 05, 2014
Steven Harbin
Steven Harbin marked it as to-read
Jun 20, 2014
Csaam
Csaam marked it as to-read
May 31, 2014
Nicole
Nicole marked it as to-read
Jun 14, 2014
Kate
Kate added it
Mar 24, 2014
Marti
Marti marked it as to-read
Feb 07, 2014
Natalie Wright
Natalie Wright marked it as to-read
Nov 11, 2013
Monica
Monica added it
Aug 22, 2013
William
William marked it as to-read
Jun 30, 2013
Melissa
Melissa marked it as to-read
May 17, 2013
John
John marked it as to-read
Apr 17, 2013
Lauren
Lauren marked it as to-read
Feb 17, 2013
Alyssa
Alyssa marked it as to-read
Jan 09, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Janet Payne Whitney (1894-1974) was an English Quaker author. She was the author of at least four biographies: Geraldine S. Cadbury; Elizabeth Fry, Quaker Heroine; John Wooman, American Quaker; and Abigail Adams. She also wrote five novels: Jennifer, Judith, Intrigue in Baltimore, The Quaker Bride, and The Ilex Avenue.
More about Janet Whitney...
John Woolman, American Quaker The Ilex Avenue ELIZABETH FRY