Start by marking “When Will We Be Sisters?” as Want to Read:
When Will We Be Sisters?

When Will We Be Sisters?

When Paula's family adopts a five-year-old girl, Paula wonders when the new girl will become her sister. After the girls have a disagreement, Paula finds the answer to her question.
Published January 1st 1994 by Scholastic Inc.

To ask other readers questions about When Will We Be Sisters?, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about When Will We Be Sisters?

Apr 03, 2014 Sarah rated it did not like it
Shelves: april-2014
This book seems as though it would have a good message about becoming sisters even though you're not blood related. It gets a little twisted, however, when we consider what the author's perspective of being sisters is.

Throughout the book, the young girl wonders when the girl her parents adopted will actually become her sister. When the adopted girl is living with them, the sisters start bickering. They fight with each other and argue. It is when the sisters are fighting that the parents then say
Woody Calhoon
Apr 10, 2014 Woody Calhoon rated it liked it
Shelves: april
This was one of the many picture books I had to read for my Children's Literature and, right off the bat, I'll say that this is an odd little book. I don't really like or hate it and, as we were told in class, this is one of the many picture books that some people would consider to be "controversial" and to be honest, I can kind of see where they're coming from. The picture book itself is fine for what it is, it has a simple to understand, heart-warming story and the art provided is very good.

A
Kelsi Watts
Apr 10, 2014 Kelsi Watts rated it liked it
Shelves: april
Overall I thought that this was a cute book. I could see how this could be considered as a controversial book but for me I did not take it in the way that others might have. I thought it was sweet that the story was focused on adoption of a girl and the story behind how they became sisters. I thought it was cool to see the progression between the two sisters and how their relationship changed from where it was in the beginning but in a different way. I think that people who read this could ...more
Julianna
Apr 09, 2014 Julianna rated it it was ok
Shelves: april
This book was a cute story and had a lovely idea, but the fact that it implies that we are only sisters/family when we fight with one another is a controversial idea. It would have been a much better book if they had just left that out and made the book more about getting along, and not about when you are considered a sister and when you are not. No matter what you do, you are always a sister, nothing changes that and the idea that you can't be considered a sister when you are mean is not ...more
Ciara Bean
Mar 04, 2015 Ciara Bean rated it liked it
Shelves: childrens-lit
I actually liked this book. I think it's really cute and funny. It seems real to me. While some people interpret the end message negatively, I didn't. I think the author is saying even in conflict you love each other enough to let something go and that's what makes you real family. I don't think the intention was just that fighting makes you family, taking away just that message is focusing on a small portion of the big picture.
Brianna
Nov 11, 2014 Brianna rated it did not like it
Shelves: child-lit
I did not like this book at all. It was basically teaching that in order to be true sisters the two girls needed to fight. I think that it is teaching children ideas that aren't true. I think the author was trying to be realistic but at the same time not all sisters fight and it definitely isn't necessary in order to be sisters.
Melissa Martin
Mar 03, 2015 Melissa Martin rated it it was ok
This is an okay book but I could see how it would upset some students especially if they are in foster care or have been adopted. So I don't think this would be an appropriate book to read to a classroom.
Julie Surface
Nov 11, 2014 Julie Surface rated it it was ok
This was okay. i didn't really understand it. that these two girls lived together with their parents and werent really considered sisters until they fought and started laughing with each other over the silly things.
Nicole Martin
Nicole Martin rated it it was ok
Kendal Ottinger
Kendal Ottinger rated it liked it
Dec 10, 2015
Emily
Emily rated it liked it
Diana
Diana rated it did not like it
Brianna
Brianna rated it did not like it
Apr 05, 2014
Karen
Karen rated it liked it
Nov 12, 2014
Angela Jones
Angela Jones rated it liked it
Claire
Claire rated it really liked it
Apr 09, 2014
Karissa Weekes
Karissa Weekes rated it liked it
Ashley Whaley
Ashley Whaley rated it it was ok
Ashlee Moser
Ashlee Moser rated it it was ok
Nov 13, 2014
TK
TK rated it liked it
Dec 08, 2015
Andrea
Andrea rated it liked it
Brittany
Brittany rated it liked it
Brittany Spahr
Brittany Spahr rated it it was ok
Apr 02, 2014
Jill Duford Peterson
Jill Duford Peterson rated it did not like it
Mallory
Mallory rated it did not like it
Apr 02, 2014
Alissa Sparks
Alissa Sparks rated it really liked it
Mary Meldrum
Mary Meldrum rated it liked it
Kayleena Nielson
Kayleena Nielson rated it did not like it
Breanna
Breanna rated it did not like it
Dec 08, 2014
Bonnie Stohel
Bonnie Stohel rated it it was ok
« previous 1 3 4 next »
62022
Kroll has written numerous children's books since her career started in the mid-80's. Her first book was published in 1992. She started writing when she had her fourth child. Before that, she taught elementary school in Buffalo, NY. She also has written a number of books under the pseudonym Melrose Cooper to mask her tremendous output in so short a time.
More about Virginia L. Kroll...