A Traveller In Italy

A Traveller In Italy

4.17 of 5 stars 4.17  ·  rating details  ·  58 ratings  ·  5 reviews
The Tuscan landscape, writes H. V. Morton, "is embroidered everywhere by human living, and there is scarcely a hill, a stream, a grove of trees, without its story of God, of love or death." Morton's stories and observations of Tuscany, Lombardy, Emilia, and Veneto, whether relating to the fantastic reconstruction of the La Scala opera house or the superstitious lovers at J...more
Published March 28th 2002 by Da Capo Press (first published 1964)

To ask other readers questions about A Traveller In Italy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A Traveller In Italy

Michelle
May 13, 2007 Michelle rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Italophiles, travel writers
Shelves: italy
This book was given to me as a gift years ago (in 2000 maybe?) and I'd read the first few chapters without really getting into it. Recently, though, I picked it up and couldn't put it down. Morton is one of the best travel writers of the 20th century, able to nimbly weave together anecdotes with carefully researched history into one compelling travel narrative. It's as though the smartest person you know spent several years studying history, archaeology, art, religion, gastronomy, and geography...more
Caroline
Henry Vollum Morton (how could I resist his full name?) did not cover the whole of Italy in his travels here, but rather a chunk in the middle of the country.

He writes with such knowledge I presumed he was an historian, but he was a journalist, working for The Express and The Times in London. His learning melts seamlessly into the writing – which is effortlessly peppered with history, art, architecture, anecdotes, observations and meetings with different people.

I found the book rather patchy th...more
Anton Tomsinov
Despite the age, still a better guide for history lovers than regular travel guides. Renaissance fanatics like me will find enough minor mistakes but that's Ok, for the overall tone of the author is incredibly pleasant and very British. Also good for having a taste of the golden post-war Europe.
Minus one star only for pages devoted to Englishmen of 19th century in Italy and to saints, because I am not interested in 19th century and st. Francis has my deep contempt, not affection.
Lisa
A great book to read before travelling to Italy, full of interesting snippets and fascinating to compare with what you see there now.
Clarke
Stunningly creates what it was actually like to be in Italy. Talks about the history and stories of the land.
Connie Waggoner
Connie Waggoner marked it as to-read
Sep 10, 2014
Hazem Talaat
Hazem Talaat marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
ManicKoala
ManicKoala is currently reading it
Aug 04, 2014
Chelsea
Chelsea marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Marla
Marla marked it as to-read
Jul 27, 2014
Gary Cann
Gary Cann marked it as to-read
Jul 16, 2014
Oleg Ryzhikov
Oleg Ryzhikov marked it as to-read
Jun 26, 2014
Joshua
Joshua marked it as to-read
May 28, 2014
Kt
Kt marked it as to-read
May 26, 2014
Alyona
Alyona marked it as to-read
Mar 25, 2014
Pete
Pete marked it as to-read
Mar 23, 2014
Mickslibrarian
Mickslibrarian marked it as to-read
Mar 16, 2014
Denise Kowalski
Denise Kowalski marked it as to-read
Feb 26, 2014
Vicky Jones
Vicky Jones marked it as to-read
Feb 14, 2014
Martin
Martin marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Henry Canova Vollam (H. V.) Morton, FRSL, was a journalist and pioneering travel writer from Lancashire, England, best known for his prolific and popular books on Britain and the Holy Land. He first achieved fame in 1923 when, while working for the Daily Express, he scooped the official Times correspondent during the coverage of the opening of the Tomb of Tutankhamon by Howard Carter in Egypt.

In t...more
More about H.V. Morton...
In Search Of England A Traveller in Rome In Search Of London In Search of Scotland A Stranger in Spain