Start by marking “Sweeter Than All The World” as Want to Read:
Sweeter Than All The World

Sweeter Than All The World

3.27 of 5 stars 3.27  ·  rating details  ·  66 ratings  ·  9 reviews
Rudy Wiebe’s latest novel is at once an enthralling saga of the Mennonite people and one man’s emotional voyage into his heritage and his own self-discovery. Ambitious in its historical sweep, tender and humane, Sweeter Than All the World takes us on an extraordinary odyssey never before fully related in a contemporary novel.

The novel tells the story of the Mennonite peopl
Published September 17th 2002 by Vintage Canada (first published 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Sweeter Than All The World, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sweeter Than All The World

Marg
This is the third book of Wiebe's I've read - I keep trying to figure out why he wins awards but so far cannot. I find his work disjointed, rambling and overall confusing. While this was the best of his books I have read yet, that's not saying much. There were far too many characters to keep track of - a family tree would have been very useful.
Jonathan Hiskes
Wiebe tells a sprawling story of a Mennonite family over 400 years, moving from Holland to Danzig to Germany to Russia to Paraguay and Canada. Interspersed with historical chapters is the story of Adam Wiebe, a wealthy Canadian doctor trying to stitch together his family's past. It's a leisurely paced novel, but if you're looking to learn about the history of this people pushed around the globe by war and persecution, it's a fine place to start. Makes a case that fiction is as good a means as an ...more
Peter
Rudy Wiebe, a very talented Canadian Writer uses this novel to explore the nature of religion and personality. A 'lapsed' Mennonite comes to terms with his ancestors and their relationship to the land, community and the world at large.
Grace
The novel tells the story of the Mennonite people from the early days of persecution in sixteenth-century Netherlands, and follows their emigration to Danzig, London, Russia, and the Americas, through the horrors of World War II, to settlement in Paraguay and Canada. Story was disjointed and uneven, trying to follow a contemporary strand and an historical strand. Wiebe has received acclaim and recognition for his writing, but I find his prose difficult to follow.
Linda Fast
As a Mennonite I enjoyed reading the historical parts of the novel. However I felt that the book jumped around and it was hard to keep track of the characters. I will definitely reread this book as I am sure that I missed some of the underlying connections to the author. If you are a Mennonite I recommend this book for its history. If you are not a Mennonite don't bother as I doubt that you would enjoy it.
Amanda Gordon
This book jumps back and forth between the author's life and scenes in the life of his Mennonite ancestors. The stories of his ancestors were so interesting. I loved learning about the history of the Mennonites. Unfortunately I hated hearing about the authors life after a while - full of profanity, adultery etc. so it took me months to get through this book and as a result I can't really recommend it.
Sherri
Oct 13, 2009 Sherri added it
Inspired to read this book again after conversations with Tom Neufeldt, the Russian Mennonite farmer at the St.Catharines market. One of Rudy's best books, I think, and the result of a huge amount of research. And I agree with Tom that when the mennonites scattered, my ancestors headed in a forturitous direction. Thank you, Mr. Penn.
Becci
I was enjoying the first part of the book, interspersing a 20th century man with his ancestos' past, but the book spiralled out of control in terms of continents and charcters!,,There were so many Wiebes and Loewens families and it became quite confusing to keep them straight. I do like his descriptive syle, though.
Shonna Froebel
Very very good.
Made me think about my mother's family history, renewing my curiosity in it.
Ray
Ray added it
Dec 12, 2014
Lexie
Lexie marked it as to-read
Dec 05, 2014
Len
Len marked it as to-read
Oct 31, 2014
Cheryl
Cheryl marked it as to-read
Oct 10, 2014
Kimberlee Teitzel
Kimberlee Teitzel marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2014
Julienne
Julienne marked it as to-read
Sep 07, 2014
Dana
Dana marked it as to-read
Aug 16, 2014
Rich
Rich added it
Aug 05, 2014
Lime
Lime marked it as to-read
Aug 07, 2014
Sarah marked it as to-read
Jul 25, 2014
Dave
Dave added it
Jun 06, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Wiebe was born at Speedwell, near Fairholme, Saskatchewan in what would later become his family’s chicken barn. For thirteen years he lived in an isolated Mennonite community of about 250 people. He did not speak English until age six since Mennonites at that time customarily spoke Low German at home and standard German at Church. He attended the small school three miles from his farm and the Spee ...more
More about Rudy Wiebe...
Stolen Life: Journey Of A Cree Woman Peace Shall Destroy Many A Discovery Of Strangers The Temptations of Big Bear Of This Earth: A Mennonite Boyhood in the Boreal Forest