Start by marking “It's All Relative (It's All Relative #1)” as Want to Read:
It's All Relative (It's All Relative #1)

It's All Relative (It's All Relative #1)

To Michael, coming out to his family over dinner seemed like the perfect way to finally get noticed. But an unexpected phone call interrupts his announcement -- Aunt Evie is dead. Now Michael, his boyfriend, and his dysfunctional family must prepare for the funeral.
Published October 13th 2004 by Lulu.com

To ask other readers questions about It's All Relative, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about It's All Relative

Kaje Harper
Mar 22, 2016 Kaje Harper rated it really liked it
3.5 rounded up. This one was tough for me to rate - on the positive side, the writing is good and the realism is notable. This is all about family dynamics - Michael brings his serious boyfriend Dan home to meet his family, as he finally comes out to Mom, Dad, big brother and little sister. But his big announcement has barely been made, with his mother's dismay just dawning, when a phone call tells them that beloved Great-Aunt Evie has died. Suddenly the whole family is headed to Sugar Creek, ...more
jules0623
Ryes
May 01, 2008 Ryes rated it really liked it
It's All Relative is hard to describe, because it's not exactly romance, but it's not exactly a coming of age story either. Michael Knapp, the main character, is comfortable with who he is and where he is in life. It's All Relative is more about redefining and strengthening relationships.

I have a love/hate relationship with the main character. During the stay at Sugar Creek, Michael is extremely disrespectful and insensitive towards everyone else, but he blames his odd behavior on grief. And w
Tinnean
Mar 21, 2016 Tinnean rated it really liked it
JM did an amazing job, because as screwed up as this family is, she's made me care about them. I wonder if Aunt Jessie will ever come back into Michael's life. Will Michael remember to find that bottle of Aunt Evie's perfume and take it home with him and Dan?

I want to know what happens to Ray and Steven. Does Ray ever get out of the apartment above the garage? Does Steven finds a love of his own?

In answer to all these questions, I sincerely hope so.
Shaztwirl Inside Story Edits
I was hooked.

Yes, I really enjoyed this book but a few observations.

1. Don't go looking for a plot. This is a totally character driven story, about a man, his boyfriend, family and rather large extended family preparing for the funeral of the family matriarch.
2. Really, shouldn't a 26 year old man be past the stage where it's acceptable to punch and get into physical fights with your sister who is 10 years younger?
3. That ending, though!
Hans Hirschi
Jan 06, 2013 Hans Hirschi rated it it was amazing
Every family has its daemons to deal with and large gatherings have a tendency to bring out the worst in us. This tale of coming out, love, sorrow and family is one of the best I've ever read!

You get quickly drawn into the story, and worry about our protagonist and his partner. A great read!
Shelley Chastagner
Oct 26, 2015 Shelley Chastagner rated it it was amazing
While this is a M/M novel it is not a romance in per se. It's about growing up, transitioning from a child to an adult in the eyes of your family and yourself. Michael comes across as immature to me much of the first two-thirds of the book. He's slipped into the role his family has created for him and he is once again a 10 year old. With all the juvenile behavior that goes with being 10. Traveling to an unexpected family funeral he is faced with mortality, bigotry, his own selfishness and is ...more
Sara
Feb 28, 2016 Sara rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Kari Gregg
Jan 08, 2010 Kari Gregg rated it it was amazing
Shelves: glbt
If you've ever wondered (& perhaps secretly hoped) you were adopted or switched at birth, this is the story for you. In a loving and committed relationship with soldier Dan Biggs, Michael Knapp decides it's finally time to come out to his family. Within minutes of spilling the proverbial beans at the dinner table, though, the family gets word of Aunt Evie's death and the lot of them (including Dan) drive to rural Pennsylvania for the funeral.

Dan is absolutely delicious in his care of and att
Tj
Dec 09, 2015 Tj rated it really liked it
This story was humorous in parts and moving in others. Mike is facing the death of a loved one right after coming out to his parents with his partner at his side. Dan is a man that is too good to be true. He is patient, loving and uber-protective. Mike is in an overwhelmed emotional state during the whole of this book. The story is a little slow moving and Mike makes the same mistakes over and over. I'm sure that is because of his emotional state but still he just never learns. I enjoyed the ...more
Charlene Harris
Aug 20, 2016 Charlene Harris rated it it was amazing
It kept me there. Pulled me into its depths until I finished reading. You get involved with the MC's and desperately want to know what is going to happen next. How things are going to play out. It will surprise, irritate and over-joy you. Loved it.
Elaine
Mar 28, 2016 Elaine rated it it was amazing
A different story by J.M. Snyder; only one problem the character of Michael, acts as if he's a child, instead of a man of 25. All-in all a good story. It was well written, and I enjoyed it.
Heather K (dentist in my spare time)
Paperback on sale through the publisher for $2.50! 8/11/13!

Katrina
First Read win. This really isn't something I read. Well it was a first. It was pretty good. Will be passing this along to a friend to read.
cmbookdiva
Mar 25, 2016 cmbookdiva rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wow! I loved every word every sentence of this wonderful love story of Dan and Mike. I will be retreading this again and again. After I read the sequel of course.
Jbelle
Jbelle rated it really liked it
Oct 23, 2016
AuthorIsland
AuthorIsland rated it it was amazing
Apr 15, 2012
Stephanie Holmes
Stephanie Holmes rated it liked it
Mar 07, 2016
Ajumi
Ajumi rated it really liked it
Mar 27, 2016
Heidi Hensley
Heidi Hensley rated it really liked it
Sep 11, 2016
Damon
Damon rated it really liked it
Jun 10, 2010
Anna
Anna rated it really liked it
Sep 21, 2010
Colleen
Colleen rated it liked it
Apr 28, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Nov 05, 2011
Max
Max rated it it was amazing
Apr 14, 2012
Alli
Alli rated it really liked it
Apr 08, 2012
Damon Suede
Damon Suede rated it really liked it
Feb 18, 2011
J.M.
Jun 24, 2009 J.M. rated it it was amazing  ·  (Review from the author)  ·  review of another edition
This is my book so I'm not going to write a review.
Jack
Jack rated it it was amazing
Feb 08, 2012
Lily
Lily rated it really liked it
Jan 27, 2015
« previous 1 3 4 next »
Just Re-releases with JMS BOOKS 1 2 Mar 30, 2012 09:36AM
  • Turning Idolater
  • Braden's Story
  • In His Sights (Don't Tell, #4)
  • The One for Me
  • Rescued by Love
  • Close to Me (Blue Ruin, #2)
  • Sebastian's Journal
  • Love, Like Ghosts (Bay City Paranormal Investigations, #7)
  • For the Love of the Corps (Veterans #4)
  • Catching a Second Wind
  • Secrets in the Air (Secrets, #1)
  • Best Gay Romance 2008
  • That You Are Here
  • For The Living
  • Claiming His Mate (Rogue Alpha #1)
  • It's You
  • Where I Am Now
  • His Touch of Ice (The Kaldr Chronicles, #1)
An author of gay erotic/romantic fiction, J.M. Snyder began in self-publishing and worked with Amber Allure, Aspen Mountain, eXcessica, and Torquere Presses.

Snyder's highly erotic short gay fiction has been published online at Amazon Shorts, Eros Monthly, Ruthie's Club, and Tit-Elation, as well as in anthologies by Alyson Books, Aspen Mountain, Cleis Press, eXcessica Publishing, Lethe Press, and R
More about J.M. Snyder...

It's All Relative (2 books)
  • Who's Wedding Is it Anyway? (It's All Relative, #2)