Start by marking “Grievous Sin (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #6)” as Want to Read:
Grievous Sin (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #6)

Grievous Sin (Peter Decker and Rina Lazarus #6)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  2,418 ratings  ·  49 reviews
Who could steal a newborn baby from her mother? As Peter and Rina Decker discover, all too many people. An overly trusting nurse, a case of blackmail, and a vengeful weight lifter set the stage for Kellerman's most chilling and complex novel yet.
Published August 1st 1993 by William Morrow & Company (first published June 3rd 1993)

To ask other readers questions about Grievous Sin, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Grievous Sin

Rory
Finally, Faye Kellerman shows off the masterpiece that she's always been capable of writing, but hadn't gotten to yet up to this point because she was still trying to find her way with these characters and with her burgeoning skills at writing mysteries. "Grievous Sin" is a vast improvement over the previous plodding, dull "False Prophet," Kellerman's plotting is much, much tighter than it ever has been before, and she's finally confident in who Peter Decker, Rina Lazarus, Marge, Cindy, and all ...more
Barbra
Sixth in the series and as good as ever.

Back Cover Blurb:
Chris
Back Cover Blurb:
Minutes after Sergeant Peter Decker witnesses his wife give birth to their first child his policeman's instinct tells him something's wrong, something the doctors are not telling him. He is right, and in the midst of his wife's trauma he begins to suspect something else is awry in the hospital. The disappearance of a new-born baby, together with that of the nurse in charge of the post-natal unit, confirms once again that Decker's instincts were correct - but this time he is the
Rebecca
I'm a Faye Kellerman/Jonathan Kellerman fan, so any of their books is a nice treat for me...a return to the characters I've grown to practically know since the early 90's. How this one escaped from me I don't know, but it's the 5th Rina/Peter novel in the series, so somehow I missed it. It was good to be able to go back and fill the gap in their relationship; the book deals with the birth of their daughter and the subsequent kidnapping/murder case that hits so close to home for the family. If yo ...more
Gizmology
Feb 06, 2008 Gizmology rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: crime novel junkies
I just found a box of books in the basement and started rereading stuff I devoured a few years ago in a big murder mystery phase. What I like about the Faye Kellerman books is that I don't remember the endings of them, and they're fun to read again and still suspenseful. One thing about her writing is that she has written some of the truly most horrendous sentences I have ever read in popular fiction; for example, she is the proud author of this gem from _Greivous Sin_:"Marge happily chewed her ...more
Marti
I should begin by saying that I was confused by the author's use of the term 'layette' to denote the newborn's bed in the hospital nursery. I checked in the dictionary, and sure enough, what it said was that it refers to the clothes for a baby. This seemed to be rather confusing at times. Besides the murder mystery. it is a happy time for Sergeant Decker and his wife Rina Lazarus, as they have just had a healthy baby girl, but said because Rina has problems with the afterbirth, and has to have a ...more
LJ
GRIEVOUS SIN - Okay
Kellerman, Faye - 6th in series

Peter and Rina are delighted with their newborn baby girl, but the scene at the Los Angeles hospital is a nightmare. Budget cutbacks and staff shortages so compromise security in the nursery that Peter, the ever-anxious cop, worries about his family's safety. Then a baby is kidnapped and a respected nurse vanishes along with her. Peter, his tough-talking partner Marge, and Peter's eager older daughter Cindy, pursue a twisted path of hospital poli
Rosemarie
Peter and Rina have their baby, but someone has stolen a baby from the nursery Baby Decker is in. And the chase begins. Every time I thought I had figured out whodunnit, I was wrong. Then, when I finally got it, I was surprised by the motive and how all the pieces fit. Great plot twists! Loved it.
Eyre
I'm not sure if what I'm about to say will make sense, but I just want everyone to understand that I am not trying to be mean when I say it.

There are some authors whose books I just don't like to read. Faye Kellerman is one of them. It isn't because they're boring or poorly written. It's just difficult for me to stay engaged with them when they are in print form. Now, while I don't enjoy reading her books, I love listening to the audio book versions. She creates intriguing plots and characters
Morris Maram
What can I say? I am a loyal reader. I find an author that I like and then try and read all the books that she has written. I find all her books enjoyable and nice reads
Dev Singer
This is one of my favorite Kellerman books. I love Cindy with the baby! Though - I also want to scream at her for being stupid.
Tara
In Grievous Sin, Peter and Rina are at the hospital due to their baby's birth. The whole clan makes appearances throughout the novel. Cindy, Decker's oldest daughter, becomes very attached to her new sibling and spends time with her in the nursery. When a baby goes missing Peter and Cindy are pulled into trying to find the baby and a missing nurse.

I love how Faye Kellerman develops real characters, and some how balances between the mystery and Peter and Rina's life.
Cynfully Sweet

There are books that I read, that I don't like, but I understand why others like them. I don't understand how *anyone* likes this book, it's that bad. Worst 5 dollars I ever spent.

I left my notes on my desk at work, so I can't finish this review at present time. But I will say that not only was I shocked at how basic police procedure was thrown to the wind, but also the borderline racist comments the detectives made. I'd hate to have these detectives on my case. Hate it!..

Review to come.
Julia Walker
Strange plot but good read. The sins of the father come into play - sins carried down through the years because forgiveness is never offered.
Lucii Grubb
absolutely breathtaking!! I read this whilst I was in hospital having spinal surgery. I tell you, it kept me from thinking of the pain! couldnt put the book down, even read it whilst in the car home from hosp! definitely kept me on my toes!
Sari Lynn
I enjoyed this book as much as I did Faye Kellerman's earlier Peter Decker & Rina Lazarus books. Her characters are more substantial than those of many other mystery writers, and I enjoy watching them and their relationships grow over the series.

I particularly liked the interwoven relationships of the various characters, and I have to admit that the mystery itself kept me guessing to the end.

I'm looking forward to reading more of Kellerman's books.
Judy
Her later books are better. This one got really confusing. I shudder to think that the general public would imagine that hospital nurseries are really operated in this manner. This place would have been shut down by inspectors long ago. Decker as he-man and savior of Rina wears rather thin, IMHO. I'm glad Kellerman developed Rina as a character more in the later books.
Mirrordance
Ancora una interessante Avventura di peter Decker. Continuo ad apprezzare questa serie che mescola con armonia le indagini del Sergentte Peter Decker con la sua vita privata e uno spaccato di america. Un "giallo" o meglio una crime story che non si limita all'indagine investigativa ma approfondisce i suoi personaggi a tutto tondo.
It's been awhile since I've read any Faye Kellerman but I found this book to be kind of boring and confusing, not how I remember her stories. The plot was both boring and confusing. And, I couldn't stand Cindy and how she kept being obnoxious and playing detective.
Mark
Decker and Rina have their 1st child together as their family grows into an extended home...a baby is kidnapped from the hospital during their delivery and Marge and Decker unravel this mystery...getting ready for the beach reads!!!
Linda
Not as good as many of the others. The resolution felt very contrived, and Kellerman dragged out the ending for way too long. She did include more orthodox Judaism in this one, which I really like learning about.
Katie Hilton
This is a pretty good mystery, though I like Jonathan Kellerman's protagonists better than Faye's. (Sorry, Faye). The plot here got a bit twisted, but it worked out OK in the end.

Nadine
Story line was really good, but book had too much sex and bad language. Chapter three could have been totally eliminated. Wish I had put it down instead of finishing it.
Cathy
Another page turner. It's funny that I'm writing this while reading a newer book were the baby is now a high school girl and Cindy has long been a detective.
Melody
Always enjoy the combination of this husband and wife team! Never know what direction you are taking and you are surprised when you get there!
Katie
I'm finished with Grievous Sin: usually love these books. this one wasn't as satisfying. despite a few things I didn't see coming
Christy
This is definitely the worst mystery I have ever read, probably one of the most poorly written books I have ever read.
Laurie Stoll
A wonderful read in the Peter Decker series. One of my favorite characters from one of my favorite series.
Louise Laquerre
Too much information on child birth and religious content not relative. Took 3 chapters to get into it.
Tom Carter
Another great Peter Decker story. This one covered the kidnapping of a child and all that were affected.
  • Private Eyes (Alex Delaware, #6)
Faye Kellerman was born in St. Louis, Missouri and grew up in Sherman Oaks, California. She earned a BA in mathematics and a doctorate in dentistry at UCLA., and conducted research in oral biology. Kellerman's groundbreaking first novel, THE RITUAL BATH, was published in 1986 to wide critical and commercial acclaim. The winner of the Macavity Award for the Best First Novel from the Mystery Readers ...more
More about Faye Kellerman...
The Ritual Bath (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #1) Milk and Honey (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #3) Hangman (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #19) Sanctuary (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #7) Sacred and Profane (Peter Decker/Rina Lazarus, #2)