Start by marking “Arise from Darkness: What to Do When Life Doesn't Make Sense” as Want to Read:
Arise from Darkness: What to Do When Life Doesn't Make Sense

Arise from Darkness: What to Do When Life Doesn't Make Sense

Well-known author, psychologist and priest Fr. Benedict Groeschel draws on his own years of personal experiences in dealing with people's problems, tragedies and darkness as he offers help and guidance for any Christian troubled or burdened by life. If you are struggling with fear, anxiety, grief, loss of loved ones, hurt, anger or anything that makes life difficult or the ...more
Published December 1st 1995 by Ignatius Press

To ask other readers questions about Arise from Darkness, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Arise from Darkness

Gary
Nov 15, 2008 Gary rated it it was amazing
Shelves: own
I can by just reading the first chapter give this book 5 stars. It is funny how life works, and God's Spirit moves. I bought this book when it first came out, being a bibliophile it looked like a book that would be very worthwhile.

Well I read a bit but just could not get into it. Well fast forward 12 years. Yesterday I was unpacking some of my boxed books and their it was. I set it aside and when I added it to my goodreads library I read some of the reviews and decided to read it now.

Fr. Groesch
Kathy
Aug 27, 2011 Kathy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Am doing a study on how to cope with human suffering and this book was recommended by several websites. It does have some ideas to ponder that might make the suffering feel better, but helping another person is the one thing that, without fail, will make those who suffer feel better. Think of it...by helping others, they help us. It's all part of God's perfect plan.
Beverly
Feb 07, 2011 Beverly rated it really liked it
This is one I read years ago and decided to read again since things have been pretty dark around my place. Benedict Groeschel has a lot of good ideas, but it seems to me he often gets on a tangent that doesn't really have anything to do with his topic. Its still interesting stuff and there are some helpful suggestions on what one should do when life is nothing but suffering.
Nancy
Jun 16, 2012 Nancy rated it it was amazing
Such a good book!! Unfortunately we all go thru rough stuff and when you reach the rough stuff, you will want this book on your bedside table!! It has the same soothing effect of a dear friend who you can confide in!!
Maureen
Aug 07, 2013 Maureen rated it really liked it
Anyone who is troubled with life should read this wonderful book by Groeschel. He provides a myriad of examples of individual experiences, and offers good advice. Definitely a book worth re-reading.
Crystal824
Jul 24, 2008 Crystal824 rated it it was amazing
If you are suffering from the loss of a loved one or a serious illness. This is the book for you.
Jason Addington
Jan 09, 2009 Jason Addington rated it really liked it
Anyone going through a deeply difficult time in life should read this book.
Valerie
Aug 18, 2008 Valerie rated it really liked it
A lot of lifes questions are answered in this book. It is especially helpful when dealing with loss.
Collette
Oct 14, 2010 Collette rated it really liked it
Shelves: spirituality
Angie
Mar 29, 2011 Angie rated it it was amazing
This book was very moving. I loved every page.
Susi
Jul 25, 2009 Susi rated it it was amazing
Shelves: to-read-again
An eloquent book for dark times.
Akhogba Andrew
Jul 30, 2016 Akhogba Andrew rated it it was amazing
Because we all do suffer from the consequence of original sin and because there is no perfection in this present life we all Must Suffer! Even though modern culture tries to deny this reality principally through the media Fr Benedict Groeschel, in his usual humorous ways, reminds all of us of what to do when disaster strikes; we must, in moments of trouble, turn to Jesus who himself suffered and died to obtain our salvation. This is the only true way to Arise from Darkness!
GK Stritch
Oct 29, 2014 GK Stritch rated it it was amazing
For those who knew and loved Benedict Groeschel, this book is like listening to him speak; a helpful guide filled with light and truth, and his great (New Jersey/New York metro) sense of humor, yes, even in a book titled "Arise from Darkness."

poem "San Juan de la Cruz"

Kristen
Jul 11, 2016 Kristen rated it it was ok
Saw a post about this book on Facebook, but it just wasn't for me. It could have something to do with me not being Catholic.
Robert Gourley
Sep 16, 2015 Robert Gourley rated it it was amazing
Profound and compassionate, a beautiful book to be cherished and kept always within reach.
Rosy
Jan 28, 2016 Rosy rated it it was amazing
Awesome book, and I couldn't have read it at a better time. Awesome, awesome, awesome!
Mary
Mary rated it it was amazing
Sep 09, 2012
Travis Greer
Travis Greer rated it it was amazing
Sep 07, 2014
Helen
Helen rated it it was amazing
Jul 26, 2009
Emma
Emma rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2016
Ellen
Ellen rated it it was amazing
Feb 25, 2010
B Bevans
B Bevans rated it really liked it
Mar 01, 2017
Leticia Velasquez
Leticia Velasquez rated it it was amazing
Apr 02, 2012
Mark Stevens, ThD
Mark Stevens, ThD rated it really liked it
Mar 16, 2011
Pam
Pam rated it it was amazing
Aug 25, 2014
JAWKdad
JAWKdad rated it it was amazing
May 30, 2016
Scott
Scott rated it it was amazing
Aug 03, 2011
Cornelius Pulung
Cornelius Pulung rated it it was amazing
Apr 10, 2012
Michael LaBelle
Michael LaBelle rated it it was amazing
Jan 16, 2017
Rodolfo D.
Rodolfo D. rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2012
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Making Sense Out of Suffering
  • The Fulfillment of All Desire: A Guidebook for the Journey to God Based on the Wisdom of the Saints
  • Signs of Life: 40 Catholic Customs and Their Biblical Roots
  • Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church
  • Death On A Friday Afternoon: Meditations On The Last Words Of Jesus From The Cross
  • Architects of the Culture of Death
  • The Temperament God Gave You: The Classic Key to Knowing Yourself, Getting Along with Others, and Growing Closer to the Lord
  • Padre Pio: Man of Hope
  • If You Really Loved Me: 101 Questions on Dating, Relationships, and Sexual Purity
  • Did Adam & Eve Have Belly Buttons?
  • Fides et Ratio: On the Relationship Between Faith and Reason
  • Crossing the Tiber
  • Coming Soon: Unlocking the Book of Revelation and Applying Its Lessons Today
  • The Ignatius Bible: Revised Standard Version, Second Catholic Edition
  • The Drama of Atheist Humanism
  • 7 Secrets of the Eucharist
  • By What Authority? An Evangelical Discovers Catholic Tradition
  • Be a Man!: Becoming the Man God Created You to Be
Benedict Joseph Groeschel, C.F.R. (July 23, 1933 – October 3, 2014) was an American Franciscan friar, Catholic priest, retreat master, author, psychologist, activist and television host. He hosted the television talk program Sunday Night Prime broadcast on the Eternal Word Television Network as well as several serial religious specials. He founded the Office for Spiritual Development for the Catho ...more
More about Benedict J. Groeschel...