Start by marking “Project Retrospectives” as Want to Read:
Project Retrospectives

Project Retrospectives

With detailed scenarios, imaginative illustrations, and step -- by-step ins tructions, consultant and speaker Norman L. Kerth guides readers through productive, empowering retrospectives of project performance.Whether your shop calls them postmortems or postpartums or something else, project retrospectives offer organizations a formal method for preserving the valuable ...more
Published April 1st 2001 by Dorset House Publishing Company, Incorporated (first published February 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Project Retrospectives, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Project Retrospectives

Clean Code by Robert C. MartinThe Art of Startup Fundraising by Alejandro CremadesThe Lean Startup by Eric RiesRefactoring by Martin FowlerThe Pragmatic Programmer by Andrew Hunt
Top 100 Agile Books
75th out of 135 books — 57 voters
The Scrumban [R]Evolution by Ajay ReddyGetting Value out of Agile Retrospectives - A Toolbox of Retr... by Luis GonçalvesThe Retrospective Handbook by Patrick KuaProject Retrospectives by Norman L. KerthAgile Retrospectives by Esther Derby
Agile Retrospectives
4th out of 5 books — 2 voters

More lists with this book...

Ben Linders
Jun 03, 2013 Ben Linders rated it it was amazing
This is the first book that I have read on retrospectives, after having seen Norm Kerth on the SM/ASM conference in 2001 presenting about retrospectives.

It's a classic, even if you do agile retrospectives, as it describes the basic concepts and ideas behind retrospectives. A must read for anybody of is working agile, and want to continuously improve the way of working!
Matt
Mar 26, 2016 Matt rated it really liked it
Shelves: reference
The Retrospective Prime Directive is one of those keys to having a good retrospective, and it's important to wave it around like a weapon; a kind of shield against toxic finger pointing.

Regardless of what we discover, we understand and truly believe that everyone did the best job they could, given what they knew at the time, their skills and abilities, the resources available, and the situation at hand.

I will admit that Kerth's idea of a multi-day retrospective is much more in-depth than anythin
Jeanne Boyarsky
Jul 25, 2012 Jeanne Boyarsky rated it it was amazing
Shelves: technology
I think I read this book before - years ago, before I started tracking what I read on goodreads. It was good the second time too though.

Each chapter begins with a cute animal story applying the lessons of the chapter. The first was from "Winnie the Pooh." The others cover assorted interactions between an Owl, Wolf, Pig, Beaver, etc.

Each chapter is full of tips,cartoons and anecdotes. One chapter includes exercises to draw out trust and information.

I certainly got some ideas and insights for my n
Olli Sorje
Jul 09, 2014 Olli Sorje rated it liked it
Good book about holding retrospectives. Nowadays when agile projects are more usual, I'm not sure if there is need for these multi-day retrospectives. Nevertheless techniques and facilitation skills in this book are still very useful in more agile iteration retrospectives. This book also nicely introduces some theories about how people behave and how to resolve conflicts. I recommend this for anyone interested in holding retrospectives of any kind.
Andrew Doran
Feb 12, 2015 Andrew Doran rated it really liked it
Useful text on running retrospectives, albeit from someone who seems to do this work on a full-time basis. Bottom line: for a retrospective to be useful you need three days.

The book contains an overview of the whole process as well as a ‘cook-book’ of exercises you can use in various situations, including when a project has completely failed.
Serban Ghita
Feb 02, 2016 Serban Ghita rated it it was amazing
This is the bible for facilitators, but there are a LOT to learn even if you do small retrospectives with your team. Helped me a lot to focus the discussions in the right direction. It might repeat some of the conclusions, but I understand this is a practice because people skip some chapters. It helps you solidify them.
Marcin
Aug 20, 2012 Marcin rated it it was amazing
The best book on retrospectives I have ever read. Full of practical exercises and some theoretical grounding with lots of references. This book is much better then the Agile Retrospectives book which now appears to me as a simple rip-off of this book.
Nynke Fokma
Jul 13, 2009 Nynke Fokma rated it it was amazing
Shelves: management
Maggie
Sep 01, 2014 Maggie rated it it was ok
Yes, this is where it all started, but I wouldn't start here. Once you get the prime directive, Esther Derby's retro book is more useful and current.
Doc
Doc rated it it was amazing
Sep 26, 2009
gramakri
gramakri rated it really liked it
Jul 02, 2014
Eric
Eric rated it it was amazing
Jan 06, 2015
Thomas Wallet
Thomas Wallet rated it really liked it
Aug 15, 2012
Nick
Nick rated it really liked it
Oct 05, 2016
Mike Girouard
Mike Girouard rated it really liked it
Oct 11, 2015
Annette
Annette rated it it was amazing
Nov 14, 2015
Martin
Martin rated it really liked it
Dec 01, 2014
Sebastian Sanitz
Sebastian Sanitz rated it it was amazing
Oct 28, 2012
Patrick
Patrick rated it really liked it
May 29, 2015
Deralex
Deralex rated it liked it
Apr 16, 2015
Kennett
Kennett rated it liked it
Sep 18, 2015
Julie Thompson
Julie Thompson rated it really liked it
Sep 22, 2016
♥☆~Lakshmi
♥☆~Lakshmi rated it it was amazing
Apr 04, 2009
Pyang
Pyang rated it it was amazing
Jan 18, 2016
Markus Gärtner
Markus Gärtner rated it it was amazing
Dec 28, 2011
Shane Downey
Shane Downey rated it it was amazing
Jun 12, 2015
Michael Minigshofer
Michael Minigshofer rated it it was amazing
Nov 11, 2013
Pierre Fauvel
Pierre Fauvel rated it it was amazing
Jan 27, 2013
Mirja Kujala
Mirja Kujala rated it really liked it
Jul 25, 2014
« previous 1 3 next »

Goodreads is hiring!

If you like books and love to build cool products, we may be looking for you.
Learn more »