Start by marking “What You Never Knew About Beds, Bedrooms, & Pajamas (Around-the-House History)” as Want to Read:
What You Never Knew About Beds, Bedrooms, & Pajamas (Around-the-House History)

What You Never Knew About Beds, Bedrooms, & Pajamas (Around-the-House History)

You make your bed in the morning. At times in the past, people really made their beds -- and at night they stuffed straw into a sack, making a bed to lie on.

Nightclothes were first worn in the 1500s. Before that, people slept in their day clothes, their underwear, or nothing at all.

In Ancient Rome, bedrooms were small. A servant guarded the doorway by sleeping acros
Published November 28th 2006 by Simon & Schuster Children's Publishing

Be the first to ask a question about What You Never Knew About Beds, Bedrooms, & Pajamas

David
Feb 09, 2009 David rated it it was amazing
Lindsey
Jun 30, 2010 Lindsey rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. I learned a lot! :) Some of my favorite facts from this book that I really found interesting were the following:

*Egyptians invented the first bed
*Most Egyptian women wore wigs since they shaved their heads. It was easier to keep clean and bug-free that way!
*Foot boards on bed were used to keep the person in the bed since they were inclined.
*Beds were very popular in Roman/Greek times, but the Middle Ages brought back floor sleeping.

The Illustrations and the little co
Bonnie
Mar 19, 2008 Bonnie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This nonfiction title is interesting. The illustrations are appealing and entertaining. I think that the addition of a timeline for easy reference and a list of suggested websites for information and clarification could have improved this book and its usefulness. Overall, it does provide information in an engaging format that elementary children will most likely enjoy.
Haley
Jun 17, 2008 Haley rated it did not like it
Texas Bluebonnet for the 2008-2009 school year. This book covers everything you could want to know about beds, bedrooms, and pajamas from the Stone Age to the present. I'm sure most people might find the facts interesting, but it kept putting me to sleep.
Tricia
Jan 16, 2010 Tricia rated it liked it
What an interesting and detailed history of all things bed/bedroom starting with sleeping in the stone age until modern-day camping. While not intended so much as a read-a-loud, it kept the girls' attention with minimal paraphrasing. Fun illustrations.
Lindy
A fun look at sleeping customs in a whirlwind trip through the ages, from prehistoric to modern days. Cartoon speech bubbles and colourful illustrations by John Manders add interest for readers in Grades 2 to 5.
Sep 14, 2008 Laura rated it really liked it
The kids will enjoy it although the text is not all that easy.
Sharon Lawler
Jan 18, 2015 Sharon Lawler rated it really liked it
History doesn't need to be boring, and this book proves it.
Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance
Jul 24, 2009 Deb (Readerbuzz) Nance rated it really liked it
I loved this little book with facts and stories about beds of the past. A fun, browsable book.

Donalyn
A brief look at human history told through our beds, bedrooms, and bedclothes.

Heather
Jul 18, 2008 Heather rated it liked it
Shelves: kids-nonfiction
History of how humans sleep through the ages. Very kid friendly format with easy to read, interesting text and comic style illustrations.
Kirsten Murphy
Aug 20, 2008 Kirsten Murphy rated it really liked it
2008 - 2009 Texas Bluebonnet nominee
Alice
Sep 07, 2012 Alice rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, children
This book has fun illustrations for any age, but the actual content is written for older children. I loved reading the history of beds, bedrooms, bedclothes, etc, through the ages told simply.
Leigh
Dec 15, 2008 Leigh rated it really liked it
amusing and informative look at the history of sleeping. There are several in the "What You Never Knew" series, this one is the best.
CML OSU
j392.36
L366w
Angie
Aug 04, 2008 Angie rated it liked it
Shelves: 0809-bluebonnet
Another fairly short nominee. All about one of my very favorite things. Usually. I slept funny last week and have had a crick in my neck ever since. But usually. 8]
Melanie Rosado
Melanie Rosado rated it liked it
Jan 04, 2010
Elena Hubner
Elena Hubner rated it it was ok
May 30, 2009
Debby
Debby rated it it was amazing
Mar 09, 2008
Kayla Stunkel
Kayla Stunkel rated it it was amazing
Sep 20, 2016
Christie Gilson-graves
Christie Gilson-graves rated it really liked it
Jul 10, 2014
Edwina Putney
Edwina Putney rated it really liked it
Apr 05, 2012
Amy
Amy rated it liked it
Jul 24, 2008
Kelly
Kelly rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2014
Mrs. Watts
Mrs. Watts rated it liked it
Jan 02, 2009
Judith Nicholes
Judith Nicholes rated it really liked it
May 08, 2017
Julianne
Julianne rated it liked it
Jun 17, 2008
VegasGal
VegasGal rated it really liked it
Feb 02, 2012
Cindy Clark
Cindy Clark rated it really liked it
Jun 22, 2011
Melissa
Melissa rated it really liked it
Mar 04, 2013
« previous 1 3 next »
Patricia Lauber is the author of more than sixty-five books for young readers. Many of them are in the field of science, and their range reflects the diversity of her own interests - bats, dolphins, dogs, volcanoes, earthquakes, the ice ages, the Everglades, the planets, and earthworms.

Two of her books, SEEDS: POP STICK GLIDE and JOURNEY TO THE PLANETS, were nonfiction nominees for The American B
More about Patricia Lauber...