Start by marking “In Season: Culinary Adventures of a San Juan Island Chef” as Want to Read:
In Season: Culinary Adventures of a San Juan Island Chef

In Season: Culinary Adventures of a San Juan Island Chef

3.91  ·  Rating Details  ·  11 Ratings  ·  4 Reviews
Join Greg Atkinson, one of the Northwest's most heralded young chefs, on a gastronomic journey through the seasons. Atkinson combines essays with 75 recipes that chart a cook's year, season by season, revealing a refined and thoughtful approach to food.
Paperback
Published October 1st 1997 by Sasquatch Books

To ask other readers questions about In Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about In Season

Beth Jusino
Aug 18, 2014 Beth Jusino rated it really liked it
3.5 stars, rounded up because it's Washington. I confess: I would probably like this book more if I liked fruit, which I understand is unusual, and makes the disconnect largely my own fault and not the author's. Atkinson has a charming book about living, raising a family, and (of course) cooking in the San Juan Islands, and I'm naturally drawn to everything about my adopted home state. His essays carry history and a celebration of home. I especially love his descriptions of a vicious nor'easter, ...more
Heather
May 22, 2009 Heather rated it really liked it
Shelves: home-library
My Papa sent this book to me, unprovoked. Generally I don't like cookbooks that don't have pictures, so on initial flip I was unimpressed. I took a closer look, though, and realized that really it was a collection of short essays about food—in particular, the author's experiences, memories, and adventures with food in the Pacific Northwest, my home—punctuated with related recipes that highlight certain seasonal ingredients.

I tore through this thing.

I've gotta tell you, nothing has made me miss m
Stephen
Jul 29, 2011 Stephen rated it it was amazing
What happens when a fellow studying health education and supporting himself as a cook in a Mexican restaurant marries a woman with a house on one of the San Juan Islands and gets a job cooking to support his family? If that someone is Greg Atkinson, he ends up as an island chef who does a tour in the kitchen at Canlis, and writes this book. The stories which he tells about raising his family on Friday Harbor, about growing and gathering food, and about his early attempts at cooking make this a m ...more
Marcia Chapman
Jul 19, 2009 Marcia Chapman rated it really liked it
A delightful read for those who love to read a few recipes before bed. Full of anecdotes and recipes for the ordinary cook. Inspired me to add tarragon vinegar to my breakfast chard. Yummy!!!!

Also, the green pea salad recipe is a must-have. Going to check out all of his books.
A
A rated it really liked it
Jun 20, 2015
Rony
Rony added it
Jun 04, 2015
Ralee
Ralee marked it as to-read
Sep 24, 2014
Joanne
Joanne rated it liked it
Nov 03, 2014
Anna
Anna marked it as to-read
Aug 19, 2014
Karen Gerstenberger
Karen Gerstenberger rated it it was amazing
Jul 30, 2014
Eden
Eden marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jul 09, 2014
Bonnie Tesch
Bonnie Tesch marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Jasara
Jasara marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Natalie
Natalie rated it really liked it
Mar 25, 2014
Andrea Wahle
Andrea Wahle marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2012
Tina T-P
Tina T-P rated it liked it
Mar 11, 2012
Joella
Joella rated it liked it
Jul 15, 2010
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2010
Sue
Sue rated it really liked it
May 19, 2008