In Season: Culinary Adventures of a San Juan Island Chef

In Season: Culinary Adventures of a San Juan Island Chef

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  7 ratings  ·  3 reviews
Join Greg Atkinson, one of the Northwest's most heralded young chefs, on a gastronomic journey through the seasons. Atkinson combines essays with 75 recipes that chart a cook's year, season by season, revealing a refined and thoughtful approach to food.
Paperback
Published October 1st 1997 by Sasquatch Books

Heather
My Papa sent this book to me, unprovoked. Generally I don't like cookbooks that don't have pictures, so on initial flip I was unimpressed. I took a closer look, though, and realized that really it was a collection of short essays about food—in particular, the author's experiences, memories, and adventures with food in the Pacific Northwest, my home—punctuated with related recipes that highlight certain seasonal ingredients.

I tore through this thing.

I've gotta tell you, nothing has made me miss m...more
Stephen
What happens when a fellow studying health education and supporting himself as a cook in a Mexican restaurant marries a woman with a house on one of the San Juan Islands and gets a job cooking to support his family? If that someone is Greg Atkinson, he ends up as an island chef who does a tour in the kitchen at Canlis, and writes this book. The stories which he tells about raising his family on Friday Harbor, about growing and gathering food, and about his early attempts at cooking make this a m...more
Marcia Chapman
A delightful read for those who love to read a few recipes before bed. Full of anecdotes and recipes for the ordinary cook. Inspired me to add tarragon vinegar to my breakfast chard. Yummy!!!!

Also, the green pea salad recipe is a must-have. Going to check out all of his books.
Eden
Eden marked it as to-read
Jul 20, 2014
Megan
Megan added it
Jul 09, 2014
Bonnie Tesch
Bonnie Tesch marked it as to-read
Apr 30, 2014
Jasara
Jasara marked it as to-read
Apr 02, 2014
Andrea Wahle
Andrea Wahle marked it as to-read
Jan 06, 2014
Andrea
Andrea marked it as to-read
Jun 24, 2012
Jennifer marked it as to-read
Apr 25, 2010
At the Kitchen Table: The Craft of Cooking at Home West Coast Cooking Northwest Essentials: Cooking with Ingredients That Define a Region's Cuisine Greg Atkinson's In Season: Culinary Adventures of a Pacific Northwest Chef Strange Leadership