Start by marking “Hunting Season” as Want to Read:
Hunting Season

Hunting Season

From the author of the acclaimed thriller Sweepers, an explosive return to the world of the top secret intelligence operatives whose job it is to "kill the killers" - and this time it's personal.

When three college students hiking in the Appalachians mysteriously vanish, the FBI is called in to investigate. Finding no immediate leads and no indications of a criminal act, th
Published February 20th 2001 by St. Martin's Press

To ask other readers questions about Hunting Season, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Hunting Season

Fight Club by Chuck PalahniukThe Bourne Identity by Robert LudlumThe Road by Cormac McCarthyThe Godfather by Mario PuzoLonesome Dove by Larry McMurtry
Best Manfiction
309th out of 1,210 books — 482 voters

More lists with this book...

Samyann
Audiobook, read by Dick Hill. Over 17 hours of listening. The death of his son during the Waco, Texas disaster is the catalyst for an anti-government fanatic to take revenge. There is a completely unrelated parallel plot involving a former CIA operative and China. Thus is the thrust of the story of Hunting Season. An alphabet soup of government agencies, i.e., FBI, CIA, ATF, etc., are all represented. There must be bad guys to create a fictional story and it seems any arm of the United States go ...more
Bob
Jan 23, 2016 Bob rated it liked it
Three young college students take a hike into a old munitions plant in the Virginia mountains and the two boys run afoul of leg traps placed along a stream, the third a girl tries to get them free but a sudden storm and flash flood sweeps them away and she is pulled free by big bearded man. When they are declared missing the local FBI takes an interest, but with few clues and no results the case goes back burner. It turns out that the girl is the daughter of an ex FBI agent who has been forced i ...more
Stephanie Moglia
Apr 29, 2014 Stephanie Moglia rated it it was amazing
I really really liked this book. I actually picked it up on a whim at my library's Valentines Day "Blind Date with a Book" promotion. They had a number of books wrapped with paper and simple subjects like romance, suspense, etc., the idea being that you pick-up a book without knowing the author or plot. I'm so glad I picked this one up! I'm not usually into the government conspiracy/suspense type books, but I was instantly gripped by this one. Sadly, I moved in the process of reading this one, s ...more
M. Patrick
Dec 05, 2014 M. Patrick rated it really liked it
Hunting Season by P.T. Deutermann is a surprisingly well developed thriller. This may be because the audio version is about twice as long as most thrillers to which I listen. Unfortunately, Deutermann uses most of this extra time developing plot rather than his characters. If the real FBI has as many incompetents as Deutermann puts into his story, the USA is in real trouble.
Juan Antonio
A retired FBI agent is willing to do anything to find her daughter mysteriously disappeared along with two college university students.Three mysteriously disappear in the Apalaches Mountains. Soon the FBI, finding no clues of any kind, decides to file the case. But one of the parents, Edwin Kreiss, will not give up so easily. Kreiss is a retired FBI agent, and He is part of an elite team of specially trained CIA to hunt men. His career ended when a mission ends up in a massacre of civilians.
Linda
Nov 18, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: thriller, audio
Enjoyable thriller about the dark side of federal agencies -- CIA, FBI, Justice, AFT. Forceably retired covert operative's daughter disappears. He sets out to find her. Individuals in power at CIA and FBI would fear him because he knows where the dirt is hidden. Former chief chemical engineer for a private company that made weapons for the army decides to take revenge against the feds for his son's death during the Waco disaster. FBI Special Agent Carter, working in the field as penance after re ...more
Marcus
Sep 08, 2015 Marcus rated it it was amazing
Still one of my favorite novels for a long time. Great protagonist and storyline. Good pace without too much political fat. Wish Deutermann had written more novels about this character. I could easily have seen this become a movie.
Tommy
Mar 04, 2015 Tommy rated it liked it
This was a little predictable and a tad too long but enjoyable all the same.
Loy
Aug 14, 2012 Loy rated it really liked it
wow -- I really love P. T. Deutermann's books, and this one was a roller coaster ride!.

Edwin Kraiss is a retired FBI sweeper and is still alive because he has some secret information about the government. His Daughter goes missing and he goes looking for her. Janet Carter a inexperienced FBI agent is on the case and tries to keep him from seachering on his own. But she does not know his background.

There is a bomb, out of control Militia, mountain men, scary caves, this book never stops .

If you
Sandy Kell
May 04, 2015 Sandy Kell rated it really liked it
I listened to this suspense-filled and action-packed story. It was 18 hours of great entertainment!
Andy Plonka
Jul 09, 2011 Andy Plonka rated it really liked it
Deutermann's books are almost formulamatic but the beauty is in the details he provides of clandestine operations and clever plans people develop to make a fast buck or exact revenge. In this one an ex FBI agent's daughter goes missing and he decides to find her himself because the authorities aren't moving fast enough. He's sort of a loose cannon but smart enough to get away with a lot.
Catherine Woodman
An ex-CIA agent who is a bit of a paranoid lone wolf, goes after his daughter, who has been kidnapped, and in the process uncovers a whole other can of worms. Well done for that kind of book in the thriller genre.
Ronald Wynsberg
Nov 30, 2009 Ronald Wynsberg rated it it was amazing
A terrific suspense filled thriller. P.T. Deutermann has a very vivid imagination for creating a fictional based Novel surrounded by 'real' past events. His characters are molded perfectly into every scene. I first listened to it on audio, after which I had to go out and buy it. Great stuff.
Terri
Jan 16, 2011 Terri rated it liked it
Noticed this book on Audible and it had two favorable ingredients: narration by Dick Hill and had a Jack Reacher type hero, nuff said! Good story, good plot and nice character development. My only complaint is that I like series so will miss out on getting to know Edwin Kreiss better.
Chanda
Nov 06, 2010 Chanda rated it liked it
This was a pretty interesting listen. If I had read this one I think it may have been too long but I listen to books that don't require me to pay as close attention as I might to something I am reading so this one was a good fit for that.
Tony Taylor
A good, but not a great thriller... Pete has written far more interesting books, but considering that I have been to every one of the locations that he uses in the course of the story, including the Army Arsenal in SW Virginia, I could follow the story line very easily.
Shira
Nov 21, 2007 Shira rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: steak
Terribly enjoyable, full of super entertaining action sequences and pithy criticisms of the FBI. In general, Deutermann does a great job of analyzing, then ripping to shreds whatever institutions are portrayed in his books. Check out Darkside and you'll see what I mean.
Cherie Pemberton
Mar 21, 2015 Cherie Pemberton rated it really liked it
Good book. Didn't much like the ending.
Steven
Nov 13, 2007 Steven rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Read and enjoy
This is not the best book I have read, but definitely worth the time and very enjoyable. Of course there is a superman - Jack Bower type, but like jack, he is believable. Make sure you read it!
John Reas
Dec 28, 2010 John Reas rated it really liked it
One of P.T. Deutermann's most intensive novels yet of a retired FBI agent being hunted by the very people he worked for in the past. This page-turner is an enjoyable read for the holidays.
Runakiko
Nov 19, 2009 Runakiko rated it did not like it
Awful. Could not get through it. All that macho renegade "hero" action with a bogus backdrop of survivalist terror just turned me off. Obviously written on the heels of OK city
Cindy
Mar 08, 2010 Cindy rated it liked it
Sorry to say I did not find anything outstanding about this book. It is not a bad story and has a few twists along the way. It is a very typical mystery story ending.
Linda
May 17, 2009 Linda rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery-crime
The hunters become the hunted in this no holds barred techno-thriller, filled with secret weapons, double dealing, and non-stop, ever perilous action.
Brian Stethem
Feb 11, 2013 Brian Stethem rated it it was amazing
One of my favorite books of all time. Suspense, smarts, and interesting characters. If you like action and intrigue, you can't go wrong with this book.
Laurie (Kwiltreader)
Jun 19, 2010 Laurie (Kwiltreader) rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: mystery/action fans
Shelves: mysteries
Good action packed story. Almost too many characters and twists but enough to keep the story going and interesting. Read well by Dick Hill.
Joe Newell
Nov 09, 2010 Joe Newell rated it liked it
Decent book. Duetermann usually writes really "can't put down" types; this one was a bit below his usually great work, but still worth a read.
Trudy
Apr 16, 2011 Trudy rated it liked it
The inner workings of the CIA and some of its estranged members. Good story line and lots of action. Frightening to think that it could be true.
Samantha
Dec 29, 2012 Samantha rated it really liked it
I found this book to be interesting, but it was tedious and at times a struggle get through. The office politics dragged on and on.
Bob Budd
Jan 29, 2011 Bob Budd rated it it was amazing
First Deutermann book; I'm glad I found this author. I will definitely read more. Love his characters and twist and turns.
Michael
Oct 07, 2012 Michael rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fiction
First book read by this author. This was a great story well done. I look forward to reading more works by this author.
  • The Sixth Commandment
  • Depraved Indifference (Butch Karp, #2)
  • Fatal Flaw (Victor Carl, #3)
  • Top Ten
  • Sky Woman Falling
  • Ghost Dance
  • Atlantic Fury
  • Hunter's Moon
  • The Lisbon Crossing (Jack Teller, #2)
  • Quantico Rules (Puller Monk #1)
  • Crucified  (Special X, #13)
  • Omega
P. T. Deutermann is a retired Navy captain and has served in the joint Chiefs of Staff as an arms control specialist. He is the author of eighteen novels, and lives in North Carolina. His World War II adventure novel Pacific Glory won the W. Y. Boyd Literary Award for Excellence in Military Fiction, administered by the American Library Association; his other World War II novels are Ghosts of Bungo ...more
More about P.T. Deutermann...