Start by marking “Death Takes Passage” as Want to Read:
Blank 133x176
Death Takes Passage

Sue Henry

Death Takes Passage (Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold #4)

3.81  ·  Rating Details  ·  570 Ratings  ·  62 Reviews

History is repeating itself on hundred years later on Alaska's breathtaking Inside Passage. Re-creating the famous Voyage of 1897, the Spirit of '98 is setting sail from Skagway, Alaska, en route to Seattle, Washington, carrying two tons of Yukon gold. Alaska State Trooper Alex Jensen and his love, famous female "musher" Jessie Arnold, are among the excited participants. T

Hardcover
Published by Avon Books (first published August 1st 1997)

To ask other readers questions about Death Takes Passage, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Death Takes Passage

Donna
Dec 17, 2015 Donna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-mystery
This is my second novel by this author, Sue Henry, and I'm completely enjoying this series of hers. They are Alaska based books and I love it. I love how these aren't a photo snapshot of the vast wilderness. There is an actual plot. The story and the characters are interesting. This one takes place on a boat headed for Seattle. I like how the author weaves in Alaskan history and folklore into her stories. However, she is heavy on pointless detail. While that is a major pet peeve of mine, it didn ...more
Maddy
Dec 05, 2014 Maddy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2014-reads
PROTAGONIST: Trooper Alex Jensen and musher Jessie Arnold
SETTING: Alaska
SERIES: #4 of 13
RATING: 3.25
WHY: The Spirit of '98 is holding a special cruise along the Alaskan Inner Passage to commemorate the Alaskan Gold Rush of 1898. The cargo includes a large cache of gold. State trooper Alex Jensen and his girlfriend, musher Jessie Arnold represent the State of Alaska on the cruise. The plot is quite complicated, with a crew member killed early on and several of the passengers' gold artifacts stole
Sharon
Oct 11, 2014 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I recently found this book in a long lost box of books marked "unread." There are 2 more in the series in the box. I like the author and as it turns out, since packing it away I actually took a similar Alaskan Cruise a few years ago. So not only did I enjoy the murder mysteries involved, but I enjoyed reliving the cruise through the beautiful inside passage. I have already started the next in the series, Deadfall, which again focuses on sled dog racing. This next one is already much more intrigu ...more
Bobbie
Jun 21, 2015 Bobbie rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a fun murder mystery that takes place in 1998 on a small cruise ship along the coast of Canada and Alaska. I enjoyed it very much. The plot was good and kept me guessing until the end. The 2 main characters are Alex and Jessie. The author keeps the reader wondering for awhile what their gender and relationship are. The book has 36 chapters but my Kobo edition would not let me read Chapter 36 after Chapter 35. I have had this happen with older Kobo ebooks. I was able to eventually get to ...more
Jasmine Giacomo
Mar 03, 2011 Jasmine Giacomo rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Alex and Jessie take passage on a small cruise ship that’s re-enacting the voyage of the SS Portland, whose arrival in Seattle WA with two tons of Yukon gold sparked the Klondike gold rush. Alex’s role is purely ceremonial, until crimes begin to occur, leading him to step back into his job and take on thieves and murderers alike.

I’ve been to Alaska only once, but I loved it. I picked this book up because I wanted to experience its vistas once more, and the premise of the novel—a cruise through t
George
Apr 22, 2016 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: overdrive
The story is an Alaska version of "Murder on the Orient Express"--the perps and our heroes are self contained. There are two plot lines that come together 2/3 of the way through the book. Author, Henry, does a good job describing the culture of an Alaskan cruise and the towns it touches. Jessie, our heroine, partners with Alex, her boy friend. No dogs in this one. My first Sue Henry book...think I'll have another!
Anne
Mar 16, 2015 Anne rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not my favorite Sue Henry book. Maybe because I didn't feel it did much to develop the characters or relationship of Jessie and Alex. And the entire story takes place on or around boats, so no dogs. The bad guys use a lot of foul language. Although it is not gratuitious as it establishes the morals and dispositions of the bad guys, I still could do without it.
Eric Ruark
May 12, 2014 Eric Ruark rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery
This one came as a surprise. I found this book at the local laundry mat. Someone left it behind. Having nothing to do while the clothes were in the dryer, I began reading it. WOW was I surprised. It was a good book. Great mystery. Lot's of fun. A real page turner. I'm definitely going to have to look for the other titles from this author.
Pam Bales
Jan 22, 2016 Pam Bales rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned
Jessie Arnold is a female musher - this is a great series with good characters and exciting story lines. I enjoy animal books and this series fits the bill. I don't want to go do any of the things that are necessary for running a team of sled-dogs, but I enjoy the stories.
Gretchen
Jun 20, 2015 Gretchen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I bought this book in Skagway, where this story begins. Both I and the book continued on down the Inside Passage. I liked the two main characters, Alex and Jessie. I usually start a series with book one, but I'm glad I read this one when I did. I'll read more of these.
Sue Getman
Feb 04, 2016 Sue Getman rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: alaska, book-4
Historical Fiction
The murder mystery was not rocket science and the writing not superlative, BUT the setting was perfect timing for me having just returned from Alaska (!) and not having an opportunity to visit the inside passage
Angela2932
This is a wonderful book if you are ever so lucky as to get to take a cruise through Alaska's Inside Passage. This book is a murder-mystery aboard The Spirit of '98, a small cruise ship, commemorate the Gold Rush of 1898, sailing through the Inside Passage. Alex Jensen and his girlfriend Jessie Arnold are aboard as official representatives of the State of Alaska. Alex is asked to investigate items missing from several cabins, and then the death of one of the passengers. Eventually, the mystery i ...more
Ellen
May 27, 2014 Ellen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I've enjoyed a couple of her books, but stumbled a bit in this one because the timeline switches back and forth and I had to keep looking back to see when the bad guys did one of their deeds.
Sheila
May 10, 2015 Sheila rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
What was supposed to be a ceremonial vacation voyage to commemorate the centennial of the Klondike goldrush turns out to be a murder/gold heist and much more for Alex and Jessie.
Crazy Red-head
I'm reading this series in a hodgepodge manner since I've not been able to get the books in order from the library. I just finished the book AFTER this one....so I got this one to read so I know about her adventure before she rebuilt her log cabin. Then I'll need to read backwards to the first one before heading back the other way to find out what she's up to as she recooperates from her injuries.

I am going to STOP reading this one.....It doesn't hold my attention when I've got so many distracti
Jan
Mar 02, 2015 Jan rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 2015
I thought I liked Sue Henry Alaskan mysteries but I found this one a bit stilted and unsatisfying. I won't give up; I took out 2 from the library
Alex Jensen and Jessie Arnold are excited to go on a historic cruise 100 years after another ship carried two tons of Yukon gold to Seattle setting off the Klondike Gold Rush. Their excitement wains as some items go missing from guest cabins and Alex is called to investigate. Soon a suspicious crew member disappears and foul play is suspected. Another story followed is that of two men who have stolen a sailboat and have been ordered to meet another man for an unknown scheme they will be richly r ...more
Carolyn Rose
Great descriptions of Alaska's Inside Passage and all you're likely to see on a cruise help make this a good beach read.
Linda
Dec 28, 2015 Linda rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I rated this book 2 stars. The story was somewhat interesting but it was a very real struggle to get through the typos. This author needs a better editor.
Cynthia Kauffmann
Sep 23, 2014 Cynthia Kauffmann rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I would read more from this author.
Linda
Jul 10, 2012 Linda rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: challenge
I really enjoyed this book. The story was a lot of fun, with some good twists and turns. I loved that they were in some of the places I got to visit when I went to Alaska, I think that added to my enjoyment. There were a couple of spots with some major plot errors that had me looking at the page before going I swore I just read the opposite (and I did), these were not enough to take away from the overall story, just minor inconviences.
Sandy
Jul 14, 2013 Sandy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jessie Arnold and her boyfriend State Trooper Alex Jensen are travelling on board a historical cruise celebrating the gold rush when a crew member goes missing and a number of robberies happen. Alex and Jessie are determined to find out what is really happening but the culprits are hard to find.

This was a ok story but not as interesting as the other ones in the series which deal more with the dog sledding and the gold rush.
Marti
Jul 08, 2010 Marti rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a pleasant book--good for the heat wave we are having. What I enjoyed most was reading about what a trip from Alaska to Canada would be like--the geographic details as well as the marine life encountered--sea otters, whales, etc. The characters are pleasant, though I thought that Alex Jensen complained too much about having to work on the trip rather than have a vacation.
Jeri
Oct 05, 2010 Jeri rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
3.5 Fourth in an excellent series. I like the characters (in addition to the main characters there were some memorable secondary ones), the scenery is breathtaking, and the suspense builds to heartstopping conclusion. I could've done without the bits from the villain's viewpoint(s) -- it didn't add a thing to the story IMO, but it didn't stop me from enjoying the book either.
Elaine
Nov 02, 2010 Elaine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
History comes alive as Alex Jensen finds himself solving a mystery on a voyage on a cruiser that is recreating the famous Voyage of 1897 from Skagway, Alaska to Seattle, Washington which carried two tons of of Yukon Gold and set off the Alaska gold rush. One of the best of the series. I have now finished them all
Leila
Apr 01, 2009 Leila rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Norma
This book was especially interesting to read having cruised the inside passage. All the familar sights were described as the small cruise ship
sailed from Skagway to Seattle. Beside the intersting travel information there were 2 murders that had to solved. I'm sad Sue Henry has no more books for me to read.
VerJean
Jesse Arnold (Alaskan Dog Musher)
Alex Jensen (her Alaska State Trooper boyfriend)
Good info on Alaska locales.
He representing Alaska troopers for trip - 1997 - down Inside Passage with gold
re-enacting first trip to Seattle with gold from 1897 Yukon Gold Rush
Easy reading mystery.
Enjoyable series.
Read in 2010.
Sharon
Jul 14, 2010 Sharon rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great mystery I stumbled upon while looking for books about Alaska in preparation for a trip there. It's well written; historically accurate with notes at the end, and solved believably (something I really appreciate in a good mystery!). I'll read more of hers eventually.
Heather
Dec 28, 2008 Heather rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really enjoy these mysteries. Sue Henry has several and I really enjoy her writing. It is a fairly easy read and good winter day book to pass time or get away from reality. She really allows you to become the character, a women of adventure and strenght.
Jamilah
Oct 17, 2007 Jamilah rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Nevada Barr fans
The series deals with a woman "musher" - sled-dog racer. She is tough and smart, and reminds me of Nevada Barr's woman park ranger character. I liked this one, because it had some historical reinactment in it also (Alaskan Gold Rush commemorative cruise).
  • Play With Fire (Kate Shugak, #5)
  • Raising Ourselves: A Gwitch'in Coming of Age Story from the Yukon River
  • Family Patterns (Patchwork, #1)
  • Remodeled to Death (Susan Henshaw, #9)
  • Rituals of the Season (Deborah Knott Mysteries, #11)
  • Thief of Souls
  • The Dogfather (A Dog Lover's Mystery, #15)
  • The Photo Album  (Annie's Attic Mysteries #3)
  • Curtain & The Mysterious Affairs at Styles
  • Paw and Order (Paw Enforcement, #2)
  • Murder Walks the Plank (Death on Demand, #15)
  • Be Buried in the Rain
Sue Henry is the author of six novels in her award-winning Alaska mystery series: Murder on the Iditarod Trail, Termination Dust, Sleeping Lady, Death Takes Passage, Deadfall, and Murder on the Yukon Quest. She has lived in Alaska for almost aquarter of a century, and brings history, Alaskan lore, and the majestic beauty of the vast landscape to her mysteries. Based in Anchorage, where she teaches ...more
More about Sue Henry...

Alex Jensen & Jessie Arnold (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • Murder on the Iditarod Trail (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #1)
  • Termination Dust (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #2)
  • Sleeping Lady (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #3)
  • Deadfall (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #5)
  • Murder on the Yukon Quest (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #6)
  • Beneath the Ashes (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #7)
  • Dead North (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #8)
  • Cold Company (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #9)
  • Death Trap (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #10)
  • Murder at Five Finger Light (Alex Jensen / Jessie Arnold, #11)