Start by marking “Flying” as Want to Read:
Flying

Flying

"With minimal text and bright-color illustrations, Crews captures the essence of a plane journey."--Kirkus Reviews. "A satisfying adventure for very young children."--Booklist.
Published October 26th 1989 by Greenwillow Books (first published October 1st 1986)

To ask other readers questions about Flying, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Flying

Shanna Gonzalez
Aug 04, 2010 Shanna Gonzalez rated it really liked it
Shelves: children-00-04
Flying is part of Donald Crews' series of books about vehicles, and this one takes a propeller-driven airplane as its focus. With the simplest of text, he follows the small airplane as passengers board, through takeoff, and rising above the city. (Fans of Crews will recognize other books in the series in the city scene below, including Truck Board Book, School Bus, Carousel, Harbor, and Freight Train.) Then the plane rises into the clouds, traveling until it arrives in another city at night.

This
David
May 04, 2011 David rated it really liked it
Flying by Donald Crews is trip aboard a propeller-driven airplane, from the boarding airport to landing at another city at nightfall. This is part of Crews' transportation series, along with Truck, School Bus, Carousel, Harbor, and Freight Train.

As in his other transportation books, Crews creates a very simple to follow text that can help explain the steps of a flight to preschoolers and young children. We board the plane, taxi to the runway, wait, take off, fly over the airport, highways, river
Vivian
Apr 02, 2015 Vivian rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
This brightly illustrated "documentary" picture book, featuring one to four words of bold text per page is ideal for introducing children to the wonder of flight. I invite the children to repeat with me vocabulary that may be new to them, such as "boarding" and "taxiing". I may also pause before reading the last word of text, letting them finish the line for me, such as "flying over the" (pause) "CLOUDS!".
Ina
Oct 16, 2014 Ina rated it it was amazing
Shelves: storytime-reads
Donald Crews books are wonderful read alouds for young children. Very simple text and wonderfully colorful drawings take young readers through the process of a flight across the country from boarding, to flying over rivers, farms, cities, and through clouds before finding the airport and landing.
Katie Fitzgerald
Dec 18, 2016 Katie Fitzgerald rated it really liked it
Read at Drop-In Story Time on 9/18/12: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 1/24/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...

Read at Toddler Lap Time on 1/25/13: http://storytimesecrets.blogspot.com/...
Susan
Jun 20, 2008 Susan rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books-jp
An airplane trip with minimal description and illustrations that compliment with clarity and cleanness of design. Perfect for the young ones interested in flying or answering what are those things in the sky questions. Also would be useful as a way to remove fears about an upcoming flight by showing what a plane does.
Libby In Libraryland
Jan 06, 2016 Libby In Libraryland rated it it was amazing
I love the subtle detail of the perspectives in each illustration in this book. They are perfectly executed; it gives me the dizzy, afraid of heights feeling in the pit of my stomach. I am so ready to think about flying and vacationing again. It really has been far too long since I've seen that view.
Finn Pennekamp
Jul 11, 2013 Finn Pennekamp rated it it was amazing
Wow is this book amazing! A couple weeks ago, at the library, I met a girl my age who is OBSESSED with Donald Crews. Specifically, TRUCK, which I also love. I can't wait to go to the library and show this girl this book. (She's my soulmate).
Angela
Nov 29, 2010 Angela rated it liked it
A little too remedial for us, Cooper loved the pictures though. This also started many conversations about traveling, airports and other things.
Brendan
May 27, 2010 Brendan rated it it was amazing
Great simple drawings and easy to follow story make this one appropriate for either babies or pre-schoolers.
Marguarite Markley
Great, short, read-aloud for toddlers/preschoolers about planes. I'll give the kids planes on popsicle sticks to mimic the motion of the plane throughout the book.
Jason
May 22, 2015 Jason rated it really liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Gorgeous illustrations and spare text describe a plane's flight--it's nearly perfect in its plainness.
Jen
Oct 08, 2012 Jen rated it it was amazing
Shelves: pb
Really enjoy the simple pictures and simple sentences. This would be a good book to get in other languages or discuss in other languages.
Paula
An airplane takes off, flies, and lands after having passed over cities, country areas, lakes, and more.
Erin
Aug 26, 2014 Erin rated it really liked it
This is a great introductory book about airplanes for young ones, especially toddlers.

Good for either toddler or preschool storytime.
Maxwell
Jul 29, 2016 Maxwell rated it really liked it
Shelves: great-design
This would do nicely for that first plane trip for your preschooler. The artwork shows multiple perspectives from passenger in flight.
Kelli
May 26, 2014 Kelli rated it really liked it
Great book for the beginning readers. The pictures added wonderfully to the text. Also, great introduction to first time flyers.
Kelly
I like the quiet homage Crews pays to some of his other books. On the "Flying over the highways" page is his "Truck," "School Bus," and freight train rainbow. A visual treat for loyal readers.
Cynthia
Cynthia rated it liked it
May 18, 2010
Heather Jo
Heather Jo rated it liked it
May 11, 2012
Kim
Kim rated it liked it
Nov 22, 2009
sigmagal
sigmagal rated it it was amazing
Oct 12, 2014
Heather
Heather rated it really liked it
Sep 04, 2012
Ruth
Ruth rated it really liked it
Jan 19, 2013
Jameson Brotz
Jameson Brotz rated it it was amazing
Oct 03, 2015
Becky B
Becky B rated it it was ok
Nov 01, 2012
Magen
Magen rated it it was ok
Sep 08, 2016
Beverly
Beverly rated it really liked it
Sep 07, 2012
Allison
Allison rated it liked it
Oct 13, 2014
  • I Spy on the Farm
  • Pumpkin Heads
  • 1, 2, Buckle My Shoe
  • Hello, Day!
  • Cars: Rushing! Honking! Zooming!
  • The Bus for Us