Start by marking “World Civilizations: The Global Experience” as Want to Read:
World Civilizations: The Global Experience

World Civilizations: The Global Experience

3.17 of 5 stars 3.17  ·  rating details  ·  64 ratings  ·  14 reviews
Examines all the world's civilizations, including those in the Western tradition but also those civilizations sometimes neglected in world history texts. Maintaining a focus on social history explores gender, class, economic, and intellectual issues, while examining patterns of inequality and human agency throughout world history. Instructors of World Civilization surveys...more
Hardcover, Combined Fourth Edition
Published 2004 by Longman Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1996)

To ask other readers questions about World Civilizations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Civilizations

K-Boy
ONE CHAPTER LEFT!
Raena
This was my textbook in sophomore year for AP World History. I loved it! Everything was so interesting and easily understood and the graphics were nice too :D I didn't even mind outlining every chapter. Having a great teacher helped too.
Jenni
I was forced to read this book in Freshman year, and I did so--complete with Advil to ward off the migraines and eye drops for my red eyes after all-nighters before tests. Suffice to say that it was miserable, in the process of learning the material.

Afterwards, though, I gained a great apprecation for this book. I just graduated from High School and went back to a Freshman classroom and bought the book off some grateful kid for ten bucks. I've begun to read it again, this time with a much more l...more
Nov 06, 2011 Sarah rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one for *fun*, unless you're a great nerd
Recommended to Sarah by: Required for AP World History
It was very informative, but so. long. That in addition to its (sometimes needlessly) advanced vocabulary and small script made it hell to slog through, even though it was an interesting hell. I read the entire thing, did a review book and got a 5 on the AP exam, so mission accomplished, I suppose.

For what it's intended to be, it deserves 4-5 stars. But it IS a textbook. Don't expect it to be fun, especially since it's one of the major reasons I don't read as much for fun anymore.
Lindsey
What did I think? Well, everyone out there probably doesn't want to read everything I have thought about this book. But now that I am finished I am ecstatic and want to have a party and will never take another AP history class again. Through this book I have discovered that history is definitely not my calling. I just don't enjoy it. Props to people who do; its just not for me. CONGRATULATIONS to anyone who has ever read this textbook, I am glad to join your rankings.
Logan
My AP World History textbook taught me that being ignorant is very easy if you don't truly understand what has happened before us. The class definitely enlightened me (lol curriculum joke), and I believe that in order to be a civilized representative of planet Earth, you need to know all of the history in this textbook.
Allysia
I took World History in my freshman year of High-School and I absolutely loved it. Sometimes outlining this book seemed tedious but after I was done with the course, I'd really grown to love this book.
Holly (Holly's Reading Hollow)
I'm adding this to my "read" list because after taking notes from every page in this book for my A.P. World History class this year, I think of it as an accomplishment :) Haha.
Barbara Sun
This book was the death of me, I never want to see it again. BURN PARTY WOOHOO
Cassandrah Zenk
Have to admit to falling asleep while reading.
VG/Allie
I hate this Fugging book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John Tosin
An interesting book and very easy to read.
Ivory
Sep 14, 2011 Ivory rated it 1 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Recommended to Ivory by: My history teacher (ugh!)
Shelves: boring
It sucked MAJORLY! Sorry Snips!
Sevil
Sevil marked it as to-read
Oct 21, 2014
Aj
Aj added it
Oct 20, 2014
Jankrystal
Jankrystal marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Hd,mnfc,zjkczkfh
Hd,mnfc,zjkczkfh marked it as to-read
Oct 19, 2014
Gia Khavtasi
Gia Khavtasi is currently reading it
Oct 16, 2014
Md
Md marked it as to-read
Oct 15, 2014
Sharlenne Vasquez
Sharlenne Vasquez marked it as to-read
Oct 08, 2014
Lizya Lyzia
Lizya Lyzia marked it as to-read
Oct 07, 2014
Natalia
Natalia marked it as to-read
Oct 05, 2014
Sydney
Sydney added it
Oct 04, 2014
A.j
A.j marked it as to-read
Oct 02, 2014
Juliet Hephzibah
Juliet Hephzibah marked it as to-read
Oct 01, 2014
Ally
Ally added it
Sep 29, 2014
Briana
Briana added it
Sep 29, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »
A Brief History of the World The Encyclopedia of World History Knowing, Teaching and Learning History: National and International Perspectives Anxious Parents: A History of Modern Child-Rearing in America Consumerism in World History: The Global Transformation of Desire