Start by marking “World Civilizations: The Global Experience” as Want to Read:
World Civilizations: The Global Experience

World Civilizations: The Global Experience

3.32  ·  Rating Details  ·  100 Ratings  ·  17 Reviews
Examines all the world's civilizations, including those in the Western tradition but also those civilizations sometimes neglected in world history texts. Maintaining a focus on social history explores gender, class, economic, and intellectual issues, while examining patterns of inequality and human agency throughout world history. Instructors of World Civilization surveys ...more
Hardcover, Combined Fourth Edition
Published 2004 by Longman Publishing Group (first published January 1st 1992)

To ask other readers questions about World Civilizations, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about World Civilizations

K-Boy
Apr 26, 2009 K-Boy rated it did not like it
Shelves:
ONE CHAPTER LEFT!
Raena
Oct 05, 2014 Raena rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction, history
This was my textbook in sophomore year for AP World History. I loved it! Everything was so interesting and easily understood and the graphics were nice too :D I didn't even mind outlining every chapter. Having a great teacher helped too.
Jenni
Jun 22, 2012 Jenni rated it really liked it
I was forced to read this book in Freshman year, and I did so--complete with Advil to ward off the migraines and eye drops for my red eyes after all-nighters before tests. Suffice to say that it was miserable, in the process of learning the material.

Afterwards, though, I gained a great apprecation for this book. I just graduated from High School and went back to a Freshman classroom and bought the book off some grateful kid for ten bucks. I've begun to read it again, this time with a much more l
Nov 06, 2011 Sarah rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: No one for *fun*, unless you're a great nerd
Recommended to Sarah by: Required for AP World History
It was very informative, but so. long. That in addition to its (sometimes needlessly) advanced vocabulary and small script made it hell to slog through, even though it was an interesting hell. I read the entire thing, did a review book and got a 5 on the AP exam, so mission accomplished, I suppose.

For what it's intended to be, it deserves 4-5 stars. But it IS a textbook. Don't expect it to be fun, especially since it's one of the major reasons I don't read as much for fun anymore.
Hannah Lee
Apr 14, 2015 Hannah Lee rated it really liked it
I had to read this for my world history advanced placement class this year to prepare us for the exam. Sterns is very thorough with each civilization, and has more information than most textbooks on this subject have. Although it is very fun to read in some places, most chapters are extremely difficult to read as they are so dry and 'boring'. The topic of the paragraphs seem to jump around without cause, leaving the reader wondering if Sterns is still taking about the original subject in the par ...more
Maaya
Apr 19, 2015 Maaya rated it did not like it
I absolutely loathe how long-winded this textbook is. The paragraphs are most definitely not succinct and a few pages could be edited out of each chapter. The entire book focuses more on certain civilizations than others, producing quite an unbalanced view of world history (I mean, how could ANYONE combine the civilizations of Persia, Greece, and Rome into ONE chapter, while dedicating three consecutive chapters to Islam) The only aspects that were helpful in the least were the timelines and voc ...more
Lindsey
What did I think? Well, everyone out there probably doesn't want to read everything I have thought about this book. But now that I am finished I am ecstatic and want to have a party and will never take another AP history class again. Through this book I have discovered that history is definitely not my calling. I just don't enjoy it. Props to people who do; its just not for me. CONGRATULATIONS to anyone who has ever read this textbook, I am glad to join your rankings.
Logan
Oct 05, 2014 Logan rated it really liked it
My AP World History textbook taught me that being ignorant is very easy if you don't truly understand what has happened before us. The class definitely enlightened me (lol curriculum joke), and I believe that in order to be a civilized representative of planet Earth, you need to know all of the history in this textbook.
Allysia
May 02, 2011 Allysia rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I took World History in my freshman year of High-School and I absolutely loved it. Sometimes outlining this book seemed tedious but after I was done with the course, I'd really grown to love this book.
Holly (Holly's Reading Hollow)
I'm adding this to my "read" list because after taking notes from every page in this book for my A.P. World History class this year, I think of it as an accomplishment :) Haha.
Barbara Sun
May 14, 2013 Barbara Sun rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
This book was the death of me, I never want to see it again. BURN PARTY WOOHOO
Cassandrah Zenk
Have to admit to falling asleep while reading.
VG/Allie
I hate this Fugging book!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
John Tosin
Nov 21, 2012 John Tosin rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An interesting book and very easy to read.
Anika
Feb 06, 2016 Anika rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Nope. Nopenopenopenopenoooope.
Ivory
Sep 14, 2011 Ivory rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: NOBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Recommended to Ivory by: My history teacher (ugh!)
Shelves: boring
It sucked MAJORLY! Sorry Snips!
Zoha
May 17, 2013 Zoha rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Awfully boring.
Stephanie Galvez
Stephanie Galvez marked it as to-read
Feb 06, 2016
Johnathan Amilca
Johnathan Amilca rated it it was amazing
Feb 06, 2016
Lu Lu
Lu Lu marked it as to-read
Feb 01, 2016
Adrienne
Adrienne marked it as to-read
Jan 27, 2016
Simone Delaney
Simone Delaney rated it liked it
Jan 27, 2016
Tiffany
Tiffany is currently reading it
Jan 19, 2016
Elysilva
Elysilva marked it as to-read
Jan 18, 2016
Nuno Rosa
Nuno Rosa marked it as to-read
Jan 15, 2016
Jiyeon
Jiyeon marked it as to-read
Jan 12, 2016
Julyanna Fimbres
Julyanna Fimbres marked it as to-read
Jan 10, 2016
  • The Money Men: Capitalism, Democracy, and the Hundred Years' War Over the American Dollar
  • The American Pageant: A History of the Republic
  • Bound Together: How Traders, Preachers, Adventurers, and Warriors Shaped Globalization
  • من وحي الرصاص
  • A World of Ideas: Essential Readings for College Writers
  • War Against the Weak: Eugenics and America's Campaign to Create a Master Race
  • The Principles of Mathematics
  • The Human Web: A Bird's-Eye View of World History
Peter N. Stearns is a professor at George Mason University, where he was provost, from January 1, 2000 to July 2014.

Stearns was Chair of the Department of History at Carnegie Mellon University and also served as the Dean of the Dietrich College of Humanities and Social Sciences. In addition, he founded and edited the Journal of Social History. While at Carnegie Mellon he developed a pioneering app
More about Peter N. Stearns...