Start by marking “Pale as the Dead” as Want to Read:
Pale as the Dead

Pale as the Dead (Natasha Blake Ancestor Detective #1)

3.64  ·  Rating Details  ·  233 Ratings  ·  30 Reviews
This is the first stunning installment of a riveting new mystery series that uncovers the secrets of the dead. Pale as the Dead deals with the mysterious death of Lizzie Siddal, a real and fascinating historical figure whose beauty and tragic life have made her into a legend. (She was the model for the famous painting on the cover of the book.) Lizzie's death has always be ...more
Published July 1st 2004 by Minotaur Books (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Pale as the Dead, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pale as the Dead

Aravind NG
May 06, 2013 Aravind NG rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A book you can read lazily lying on the couch and sipping coffee without being too anxious about what's happening in the plot. And even without much action, there's enough suspense and happenings to keep you hooked. Altogether a very enjoyable read made even better by small chapters. Bond, Bourne and now Blake!
Andrew
May 31, 2014 Andrew rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
An easy book to read in a short time, but still an enjoyable read. The main character, Natasha Blake, is not a private detective with an office and filing cabinet full of files. Her work is rebuild the family tree of the people, through careful and sometimes unnerving researches. Hired by a young woman named Bethany Marshall to trace its origins, she finds herself to investigate her disappearance and the search will become the starting point to find her client in a frantic race against time. Lik ...more
Linda Lipko
Dec 23, 2014 Linda Lipko rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Set in the Cotswolds and Oxford, this delightful mystery/suspence book would be of interest to those who, like me, appreciate the art of the Pre-Raphalietes.

Using the mystery of the Victorian death/suicide of Lizzie Siddal, the beautiful and haunting model (wife of Dante Gabrial Rossetti) portrayed in many Pre-Raphelite paintings, the author weaves the present with the past.

Natasha Blake, a present day genealogist is hired to investigate the disappearance of a young girl, Bethany, who was obses
Martha
Dec 20, 2014 Martha rated it liked it
One of the better "genealogy" mysteries I've read--first of all, the protagonist was believable as a genealogy researcher, and I enjoyed the descriptions of her doing actual research, which seemed fairly realistic (for the time period). Her relationships with her former boyfriend and her new interest, Adam, did not seem rational, but people can be strange. The premise of the book also seemed unlikely (Adam, whom she has just met, wants her to track down his girlfriend by researching her family r ...more
Tory Wagner
May 03, 2014 Tory Wagner rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: twbc, mystery
I chose this book because of its genealogical twist. I enjoyed those elements that referred to her job as a genealogy researcher as this is also a hobby of mine. The characters were interesting and I learned a little British history as well. As an avid mystery reader, the mystery element of the story was only average. The characters were interesting, although rather dark and decadent. I think that Mountain has a good basic idea for a mystery series and hopefully the main character will develop a ...more
Katharine Ott
"Pale as the Dead" - written by Fiona Mountain and published in 2002. The front cover includes the notation "A Genealogical Mystery," which will be a beckoning finger to me anytime. This somewhat murky chase down a rabbit hole of boudoir photography and nascent romances occurs in England, and the family studies aspect concentrates on their own particular resources, different from those available in the States.

Our genealogist and amateur sleuth Natasha has her own heredity problems which may be i
Helen
I am certainly going to keep this author in my sights since I got some useful information about genealogical searches and the complex stuff about Rossetti and the Marshall family was interesting. It even included one of my favourite Christmas carols. MS Mountain may find that she doesn't want to put in quite such detailed locations in case her books become really popular and crowds appear walking her streets. She may have her English stuff down pat but there is no University of Vancouver; it is ...more
Nikki
I read two books by Fiona Mountain in quick succession, Pale As The Dead and Bloodline. My original review on DorothyL covered both books so to get at least a little caught up I'm just copying parts of it.
Natasha Blake, the protagonist, is a bit of an odd duck. She loves her
work as a genealogist, but hasn't been able to learn much of her own
parentage - she was a foundling, adopted in infancy, who didn't learn
of the adoption until she was a teenager. Natasha dresses in vintage
clothes and lives in
Grace
Apr 10, 2008 Grace rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Technically I'd give this book about a 4.5, but since there's no half-star choice, I chose to downgrade it to 4.

The proofreader of this book should be fired...numerous distracting typos are found throughout. Otherwise, it's a very enjoyable read, especially for the afficionado of all things Pre-Raphaelite! The author successfully uses her historical facts and creates realistic fictional storyline from there to create a fascinating modern-day mystery.

The final "reveal" was a bit of a stretch, bu
Teresa
A fun little mystery, especially for those who love art history, the PRB in particular. Also the detective has a cool profession - genealogist.
Embla
Dec 31, 2013 Embla rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Il mito di Lizzie Siddal, musa ispiratrice e modella del celebre artista Dante Gabriel Rossetti, fondatore della Confraternita dei Preraffaeliti, fa da sfondo ad un romanzo che trascende gli schemi del thriller e si articola in ambientazioni storiche, artistiche e letterarie di indubbio fascino. Per una volta la misteriosa ed improvvisa sparizione di una ragazza non ha nulla a che fare con il killer di turno, ma con un'eredità "genetica" difficile da accettare. Il tragico destino di Lizzie sembr ...more
Shauna
Oct 29, 2014 Shauna rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: art-related
I was looking for an art historical-related novel, and this fit the bill nicely, blending bits of Pre-Raphaelite art and history (especially Lizzie Siddal and her pictures) with modern day fiction. I also liked that it was a genealogical mystery, and it kept me in suspense and anxious to find out more. I thought that Natasha, the professional genealogist heroine of the book, would make a good sequel character, hunting down other ancestery mysteries, and it appears that Fiona Mountain did indeed ...more
Ambra
Jun 19, 2012 Ambra rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Grazie a questo libro che ho ricevuto tramite uno gioco di scambio qui su Anobii, ho avuto l'occasione di avvicinarmi per la prima volta al genere Thriller e devo dire che non ne sono rimasta delusa: la lettura è facile e scorrevole, la storia intrigante, i personaggi interessanti. Solo alla fine del libro ho scoperto che l'autrice ha intrecciato fatti realmente accaduti (la storia di Lizzie Siddal e del ritratto di Millais in cui posò nelle vesti dell'Ophelia Shakespeariana) con personaggi e fa ...more
Carole-Ann
So wanted to like this b/c the protagonist is a genealogy freak :) Fell slightly flat.
Margaret
Jan 19, 2016 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wow.
I can't write a better review than the Goodreads one. Stunning indeed.
Melanie
May 26, 2014 Melanie rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Could not keep my interest
DoubleM
Again, this was recommended by a fellow student in grad school. And, again, big disappointment: the author was faily well acquainted with her subject, but the story was grammatically flawed, the characters were flat, and the development of the plot was disjoined. Fortunately it was not that large a volume.
Ali
Mar 29, 2010 Ali rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ok
I liked this book, being a lover of historical fiction, geneology, AND art this book was a good fit.

I will say it is a bit campy, but also i couldnt put it down. the main character is actually tolerable, and the mystery was good.
Windy
Sep 11, 2012 Windy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Genealogist Natasha is approached by a new customer but ends up searching for the customer alongside her family tree. A good story although it was a bit confusing at times. I'd like to read the sequel.
Callie S.
Romanzesco brontiano da spiaggia: narrazione avvolgente, ambienti suggestivi e fati tormentati.

Peccato per lo stile piatto e personaggi tanto patinati da trasformare la tragedia in soap.
Jeanine
Jul 02, 2008 Jeanine rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the second Natasha Blake book I have read. I really enjoy her style and am looking forward to the rest of the series. I love books with history and genealogy intertwined!
Gayle Noble
Sep 23, 2015 Gayle Noble rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to Gayle by: eca94a82@opayq.com
I picked this up because it mentioned Elizabeth Siddal (of Pre-Raphaelite fame) and I will read anything about Lizzie. The book was ok but didn't live up to expectations.
Kerri
May 25, 2008 Kerri rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A great mystery book on it's own, but of course, I love the main character's profession - genealogist - and how that plays into the development of the mystery and plot.
Lisa
Dec 21, 2008 Lisa rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked Bloodline a little more, but I enjoyed this book, too. I wish Fiona Mountain would write more Natasha Blake books.
May
Oct 14, 2007 May marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
i got a copy of this book courtesy of my cousin, sandra. can't wait to read this. just hope i won't be that busy soon!!:D
Bev
Aug 11, 2011 Bev rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: mystery, mcpl-book
Sounded like an interesting idea when I picked up the book. Not so much. Logged it in my book log with only a "Yuck!"
Mandy Thake
Above date when bought from The Mystery & Thriller Club
Don't remember it.
Margaret
Jul 11, 2007 Margaret rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The geneological/history aspect to these mysteries make them very interesting.
Ellen
Aug 04, 2009 Ellen rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Natahsa Blake #1
  • Daughter of Deceit (Family Tree, #3)
  • Family Skeletons (Torie O'Shea, #1)
  • The Ionia Sanction (The Athenian Mysteries, #2)
  • The Orange Lilies (The Forensic Genealogist #2.5)
  • Backstage Stuff (Jane Wheel, #7)
  • Wandering Ghost (Sergeants Sueño and Bascom #5)
  • Murder in the Monastery
  • SPQR II: The Catiline Conspiracy (SPQR, #2)
  • Does Your Mother Know? (Christine Morris, #1)
  • Sketch Me If You Can (A Portrait of Crime Mystery, #1)
  • Pre-Raphaelite Sisterhood
  • Repair to Her Grave (Home Repair is Homicide, #4)
  • An Evil Spirit Out of the West (Egyptian Mysteries, #1)
  • Ill-Gotten Panes
  • The Mammoth Book of Egyptian Whodunnits
  • Someday the Rabbi Will Leave
Fiona Mountain grew up in Sheffield and moved to London aged eighteen where she worked in the press office for Radio 1 for ten years, handling the PR for presenters including John Peel, Mark Radlcliffe and Steve Wright and traveling with the Radio 1 Summer Roadshow.

Her first novel, Isabella, tells the haunting love story of Bounty mutineer Fletcher Christian and his cousin, Isabella Curwen. It was
More about Fiona Mountain...

Natasha Blake Ancestor Detective (2 books)
  • Bloodline (Natasha Blake Ancestor Detective, #2)