Start by marking “Rover Saves Christmas” as Want to Read:
Rover Saves Christmas

Rover Saves Christmas (Rover Adventures Trilogy)

4.12 of 5 stars 4.12  ·  rating details  ·  396 ratings  ·  45 reviews
When Rudolph comes down with the flu, it's up to Rover the dog and the Mack children to help Santa complete his Christmas deliveries.
Published 2001 by Scholastic, Inc.

To ask other readers questions about Rover Saves Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rover Saves Christmas

Brad
Dec 24, 2010 Brad rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who loves poo, and all kids and their parents
Although there isn't as much poo in Rover Saves Christmas -- one of the great selling points of Roddy Doyle's first Rover adventure, The Giggler Treatment -- there is enough poo for fans who crave continuity. Rover, after all, begins Rover Saves Christmas as a genius multi-millionaire who got rich selling his poo, then there are references to Winnie the Pooh in three languages, and even some fart jokes along the way. Poo is still well represented, but I am derailing my review of Rover Saves Chri ...more
Jen
Is it wrong that I want to keep this book I bought a kid for Christmas? It's freaking hilarious! So I'm reading along, laughing a lot, and I stopped to read the back of the book again. Because there's a lot of wink-wink-nudge-nudge humor in this for adults, I thought Scholastic was making a funny when they listed the author's other books, and wrote "(winner of the Booker Prize)" next to one, and I was all like "haha that's a pretty highbrow joke," and then I was all like "oh wait, holy cow this ...more
Kate
Read all three of the Rover Adventures trilogy and it is funny and way out there. You aren't sure where the story will go next. Brings the child in you out for certain in a bit of a twisted kind of way. Reading the Giggler Treatment, Rover Saves Christmas followed by The Meanwhile Adventures provided information from the previous books that flowed into the third. Put a smile on my face just picking up the book.
aiv
I'm now seventeen years old and I found this book again while going through my shelves - I got it for Christmas when I was six or around that (can't remember), and I thought then that it was genius. Seeing it now, I only want to read it again. I really hope that kids are still reading this book because it's one of the best ones that I can think of from my childhood. It's not too long, but there are so many laughs that it's just absolute quality. I've never come across anything like it since. It ...more
La Stamberga dei Lettori
Rover salva il Natale è il secondo libro di una trilogia che comprende anche Il Trattamento Ridarelli e Le Avventure nel Frattempo. Sul mercato è possibile trovare le tre opere accorpate, ma, nonostante questo, la storia di Rover si legge benissimo senza bisogno di conoscere le vicissitudini descritte negli altri due. Riassumo velocemente: scaltro cane irlandese Rover deve sostituire la renna Rudolph - la migliore di quelle che Babbo Natale usa per trainare la sua slitta - la notte in cui i bamb ...more
Daniele

Dolly
Jan 02, 2013 Dolly rated it 3 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: older children and parents reading with them
This is a humorous Christmas tale that gets a bit random in places. The chapter numbers are quite mixed up and you will see chapter six numerous times throughout the book. The illustrations are in black and white and they complement the story nicely. The narrative is entertaining and the chapters are rather short, so it's a fairly quick read. We enjoyed reading this book together.

While reading this book, I saw that there is another book in the series. We skipped over The Giggler Treatment, so w
Ursula Clancy
this book is so funny and is my second favourite after The Giggler Treatment because it's packed full of hilariousness...I love these books so much, Roddy Doyle is a talented writer. I also love how they are set in Ireland (I'm Irish) because he's added in the accents.
Hina
Rover isn't any ordinary dog. He's chosen to help Santa on Christmas Eve to help deliver the presents in time for Christmas. This story is really interesting to read about the adventure that Rover goes through to help Santa, and try not to make so many mistakes. Rudolph won't fly on Christmas Eve, since he has the flu and is between a mid-life crisis, and is on strike. But that's okay with Santa because he knows that Rover could take his place easily. Rover does a spectacular job in helping Sant ...more
Ryan
This is a book about a dog that can talk. One of santas raindeer get sick and santa think christmas will be ruined. With a little help they might just make it around the world in a night.

This is a great book in my opinion.I don't like many books but i loved this one it was the best book this year. I could read this book a million times and still like it. I think alot of other people would like this evan people that don't like books.

I would recommended this book to alot of people. This book wo
Scorch
Simply hilarious! If you haven't read it, come out from under the rock and read it!
Elara Kelly
Very funny, especially the commercial breaks!
alaska
My. Childhood.
This is so hilarious.
Anggia Retno
I've never read this book when I was a child, i read it now when i am an adult.. My friend like to collect children book because its illustration and I got bored in one of my class so I borrow this book aand finish it while my professor teach (lol not a good a example). And I think I falling in love with this book, this is such a great book.. The illustration, the story (I love how it is simple with a lil bit humor and sarcasm) I love it all.. Love how the author give us several ending with the ...more
Jeana
Portia liked installment two of the Giggler Treatment, which is Rover Saves Christmas. Portia's favorite part was when the sleigh stayed up because the children believed at the end. It's really a very sweet and silly little book. I liked where Victoria found the mama and the papa and gave them a kiss on their forehead and left snowdomes (globes) under their pillows.
Connie
rudolph is sick and can't lead the reindeer on christmas eve. if he doesn't, all the children will stop believe in santa and the magic would dissapear.....santa and the children around the world's only hope is a buisness dog named rover who can take rudolph's place.....can rover deliver all the parents in time or will it be too late?!
Amber
I read this to my little cousin about a year ago, when she was getting into reading. It was a perfect little story with charcters she could easily keep track of. I'd recommened this to anyone looking for a book to put the kids (or yourself :D) to bed with.

Find more reviews at: http://ambilit.wordpress.com/
Ciara *I love Harry Potter!*
This is a very funny book about Rover, the dog, and his big Christmas adventure. Roddy Doyle wrote this book excellently, and his style of writing is great. I read this book in 2010, and I really enjoyed it. It's very short, but it's a great book, and hey, it's about the quality, not the quantity.
Asad
I liked this book a lot. I read it a long time ago. It was funny and I liked how the author had a story for each character. The chapters in the book were funny such as "Adult Chapter 6." This book brings in characters like Rudolph, Santa Claus, and other reindeera.
Clare
This book made me laugh a lot and amazed me with delight at its absurdity and silliness.
My husband and I read it aloud together once and were nearly crying with tears... you probably need a good sense of nonsense to appreciate it this much though!
Jodi
This book was a special request for my daughter.We read the first book in the series a few years ago and they still quote from it. This one is also funny but the story isn't nearly as good. The silliness is without parallel.
Mary Bourke
We all ,loved this.
Phil
This hurt to read out loud, I spent the entire time wishing we had picked anything else from the shelf.
Fiorella
Really cute and funny! I read it to my brothers in December! But really cute.... probably for a 5-9 if they read by themselves and 0-4 for a read aloud.
Hans
Aug 23, 2012 Hans rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Christmas lovers
In the world of Christmas books, this is second only to Dickens' A Christmas Carol. Must read for everyone who adores the Yuletide season.
Kathryn Jennex
I read this book with two younger people aloud. It was so much fun! It became a tradition. Perfect for adults and children alike!
Pavitar
This book is sort of like Captain Underpants, but it`s longer. Captain Underpant books are funnier though!
Shelley
Daniel laughed his head off-favourite part the walking poo of guadelara and the monkeys bum.
Marybeth Taylor
This is probably one of the funniest books i've ever read. It's a little young for me, but still.
Kimber
this book i read a very long time ago.But i remember that i always had moments of laughter!!:)!!
La Stamberga dei ...: Rover salva il Natale di Roddy Doyle 1 6 Dec 27, 2013 07:12AM
  • Gefühltes Wissen
  • Nanny Piggins and the Wicked Plan
  • Dreadful Acts (The Eddie Dickens Trilogy, #2)
  • Reading Turgenev
  • The Werepuppy
  • Humorous Stories and Sketches
  • Fields of Home (Children of the Famine)
  • Peanuts: A Golden Celebration: The Art and Story of The World's Best-Loved Comic Strip
  • How Murray Saved Christmas
  • Finbar's Hotel
  • History of the Necronomicon
  • The Adventures of Sir Gawain the True (Knights' Tales, #3)
  • Baaa
  • The Death-Defying Pepper Roux
  • Water, Carry Me
  • What a Year!: A 26 Fairmount Avenue Book (26 Fairmount Avenue, #4)
  • Con-Fidence
  • O Come Ye Back to Ireland: Our First Year in County Clare
Roddy Doyle (Irish: Ruaidhrí Ó Dúill) is an Irish novelist, dramatist and screenwriter. Several of his books have been made into successful films, beginning with The Commitments in 1991. He won the Booker Prize in 1993.

Doyle grew up in Kilbarrack, Dublin. He graduated with a Bachelor of Arts from University College, Dublin. He spent several years as an English and geography teacher before becoming
More about Roddy Doyle...

Rover Adventures Trilogy (3 books)
  • The Giggler Treatment
  • The Meanwhile Adventures
Paddy Clarke Ha Ha Ha The Commitments The Woman Who Walked Into Doors A Star Called Henry The Snapper (The Barrytown Trilogy, #2)