Conan the Destroyer (Conan, #6)

Conan the Destroyer (Robert Jordan's Conan Novels #6)

3.81 of 5 stars 3.81  ·  rating details  ·  824 ratings  ·  20 reviews
In the fabled city of Shadizar, sultry Princess Tamaris hires Conan to recover the magical gem known as the Heart of Ahriman. Accompanied by the beautiful maiden Jehnna, Conan must vanquish scheming, murderous Bombatta, the princess' henchman, and face the sinister Guardians of the horn, only to confront the foul and ancient, many-fanged demon-god Dagoth. With Jehnna's lif...more
Published September 15th 1993 by Tor Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Conan the Destroyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan the Destroyer

Joe
This is not the edition I have, which is the first printing from 1984, with a photo on the cover featuring Ah-nold in his fur Fruit of the Looms from that dreadful second Conan movie of the same name. Of the same name because this is the book version of the movie, and frankly more entertaining. My edition does not seem to be listed on goodreads.

I'll admit a certain weakness for trashy swords & sorcery may have biased my rating a star or so above what it really deserves. Being something of a...more
Valerie
José Francisco Dávila
I had high expectations with these books after I read that Robert Jordan is the best Conan writer alive. Well, maybe this is true. I still have to check other books and stories from him, and although I enjoy this book there are some things Conan-related that I didn't like that much.

There are some memorable moments that Jordan writes with passion. The first encounter between Conan and Taramis is great, very Howard-esque. But then he throw some secondary characters that felt that they were taken i...more
Victor Orozco
Okay. It was kind of weak. Clearly this writer was more comfortable writing his own adventure of Conan and not the one that was on screen. As far as movie adaptations go this one was really weak. No narration from the wizard or even a thorough run of the events from the last movie. Some of the writing was average at best. Just as weak as the movie. D+
Felipe Guerrero
Me gustó, aunque a ratos Conan se escuchaba un poco extraño, no era tan osco como el conan de Robert E. Howard pero aún así me gustó. Por cierto, es la misma historia de la pelicula que lleva el mismo nombre.

El final me gustó mucho también, muy emotivo.
Alexis

The abundance of cliches wouldn't vex me if they had been written by their inventor in the '30s. But this is 50 years later and even if it's a novelization of the film, I think Robert Jordan could have added a little originality. No - Conan is an irresistible sex machine and an undeafeatable warrior, with a bunch of hardly useful guys around so he won't spend the entire book silent. Overly predictable, non-existent character development, hacking and slashing. In short, exactly what you'd expect....more
Chris Gorsend
I'm one of the few who loves the movie - for its flaws, not despite them. However, likely working off that muddled screenplay, Jordan isn't able to improve much upon it.
Matthew
This Conan book is superb. By far my favorite that I have read. You get the depth of Conan and the other characters. It goes from one epic moment to the next of non stop Conan action.
Jeffery
Nice light reading. I don't believe the book came first, but they got a great Conan author to write a story that takes place in the authentic Conan/REH universe. I read this a long time ago, but as I discovered Jordan's works and Howard's original work, I'm surprised how well they made the adaptation fit in with the larger Conan literature. It's honestly better than the movie.
Rob Wilensky
One of my favorite writers, and one of my favorite characters. It is a fairly quick and action-filled read. Well worth it for Conan fans. Yes - it is better than the movie.
Craig
This was a good adventure novel, alot of good action scenes, characters were not bad, it was fun to see Jordan's earlier writing style.
Jeff
I read this my sophomore year in high school. For some reason, the fact that I read the book has stuck with me. Don't judge!!!
Josef Firmage
This is the only Conan I've ever read. And I must say that I enjoyed it thoroughly, like a good burger.
David
What can I say? I'm a sucker for cheesy fanatsy. Conan is the ultimate cheese.
Antonio
GREAT NOVELIZATION OF THE SECOND MOVIE WITH A FEW DIFFERENCES.
James Farnsworth
i read this in High School haha it was alright but nothing special
Charles
Conan pastiche. A novelization of the second Conan movie.
Colin
Better than the movie (which isn't saying much).
Marcus
Better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Timothy
Yep this is the movie adaption :)
Carlos
Carlos added it
Sep 17, 2014
  • Conan and the Spider God (Book 18)
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Conan: Conan the Usurper (Book 8)
  • Conan the Rebel
  • Conan the Buccaneer
  • The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 1
  • Conan, Vol. 2: The God in the Bowl and Other Stories

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to...more
More about Robert Jordan...
The Eye of the World (Wheel of Time, #1) The Great Hunt (Wheel of Time, #2) The Dragon Reborn (Wheel of Time, #3) The Shadow Rising (Wheel of Time, #4) The Gathering Storm (Wheel of Time, #12)