Start by marking “Conan the Destroyer (Conan, #6)” as Want to Read:
Conan the Destroyer (Conan, #6)

Conan the Destroyer (Robert Jordan's Conan Novels #6)

3.84  ·  Rating Details  ·  1,038 Ratings  ·  24 Reviews
In the fabled city of Shadizar, sultry Princess Tamaris hires Conan to recover the magical gem known as the Heart of Ahriman. Accompanied by the beautiful maiden Jehnna, Conan must vanquish scheming, murderous Bombatta, the princess' henchman, and face the sinister Guardians of the horn, only to confront the foul and ancient, many-fanged demon-god Dagoth. With Jehnna's lif ...more
Published September 15th 1993 by Tor Books (first published 1984)

To ask other readers questions about Conan the Destroyer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan the Destroyer

Joe
May 30, 2010 Joe rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy, pulp
This is not the edition I have, which is the first printing from 1984, with a photo on the cover featuring Ah-nold in his fur Fruit of the Looms from that dreadful second Conan movie of the same name. Of the same name because this is the book version of the movie, and frankly more entertaining. My edition does not seem to be listed on goodreads.

I'll admit a certain weakness for trashy swords & sorcery may have biased my rating a star or so above what it really deserves. Being something of a
Valerie
Feb 22, 2010 Valerie rated it liked it
Shelves: conan
Scott
Aug 12, 2015 Scott rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
This is the first Conan I've read, apart from a few comics over the years. Also the first Robert Jordan. Here Conan is bribed into protecting an innocent maiden as she guides them to retrieve a magical artifact. Of course the princess who sent them has a secret agenda. Will Conan's fondest wish be granted? Probably not, but at least he will get some along the way. It is a pretty typical fantasy plot but I haven't read this kind of story since I was much younger so I found it nostalgic in a way. ...more
George
Mar 14, 2015 George rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
ΟΚ, το συγκεκριμένο βιβλίο δεν το έγραψε ο Ρόμπερτ Χάουαρντ, όπως λανθασμένα αναφέρεται στην ελληνική έκδοση, αλλά ο Ρόμπερτ Τζόρνταν, όμως μιας και πρόκειται για ιστορία του Κόναν γράφω το σχόλιο μου για το βιβλίο εδώ. Δύσκολα μπορεί να φτάσει κανείς την ποιότητα των αυθεντικών ιστοριών του Κόναν, γραμμένες από τον άρχοντα του είδους Ρόμπερτ Χάουαρντ, όμως πιστεύω ο Τζόρνταν έκανε πολύ καλή δουλειά.

Η συγκεκριμένη ιστορία έχει όλα τα καλούδια που θα ιντριγκάρουν τους φαν του Κιμμέριου: Άφθονη δ
José Francisco Dávila
I had high expectations with these books after I read that Robert Jordan is the best Conan writer alive. Well, maybe this is true. I still have to check other books and stories from him, and although I enjoy this book there are some things Conan-related that I didn't like that much.

There are some memorable moments that Jordan writes with passion. The first encounter between Conan and Taramis is great, very Howard-esque. But then he throw some secondary characters that felt that they were taken i
Victor Orozco
May 29, 2014 Victor Orozco rated it it was ok
Okay. It was kind of weak. Clearly this writer was more comfortable writing his own adventure of Conan and not the one that was on screen. As far as movie adaptations go this one was really weak. No narration from the wizard or even a thorough run of the events from the last movie. Some of the writing was average at best. Just as weak as the movie. D+
Felipe Guerrero
Mar 19, 2014 Felipe Guerrero rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Me gustó, aunque a ratos Conan se escuchaba un poco extraño, no era tan osco como el conan de Robert E. Howard pero aún así me gustó. Por cierto, es la misma historia de la pelicula que lleva el mismo nombre.

El final me gustó mucho también, muy emotivo.
Jkweld
Mar 10, 2016 Jkweld rated it really liked it
Jordan wrote Conan like no other. One of my favorite series growing up, and has some kick-ass one-liners. The action sequences are smooth without getting bogged down in unnecessary detail, yet conveying the intensity.

Not a kid's book.
Alexis
Jan 02, 2013 Alexis rated it it was ok

The abundance of cliches wouldn't vex me if they had been written by their inventor in the '30s. But this is 50 years later and even if it's a novelization of the film, I think Robert Jordan could have added a little originality. No - Conan is an irresistible sex machine and an undeafeatable warrior, with a bunch of hardly useful guys around so he won't spend the entire book silent. Overly predictable, non-existent character development, hacking and slashing. In short, exactly what you'd expect.
Chris Gorsend
Aug 25, 2014 Chris Gorsend rated it liked it
I'm one of the few who loves the movie - for its flaws, not despite them. However, likely working off that muddled screenplay, Jordan isn't able to improve much upon it.
Matthew
Mar 04, 2014 Matthew rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fantasy
This Conan book is superb. By far my favorite that I have read. You get the depth of Conan and the other characters. It goes from one epic moment to the next of non stop Conan action.
Jeffery
Apr 03, 2013 Jeffery rated it really liked it
Nice light reading. I don't believe the book came first, but they got a great Conan author to write a story that takes place in the authentic Conan/REH universe. I read this a long time ago, but as I discovered Jordan's works and Howard's original work, I'm surprised how well they made the adaptation fit in with the larger Conan literature. It's honestly better than the movie.
Rob Wilensky
Feb 06, 2013 Rob Wilensky rated it liked it
One of my favorite writers, and one of my favorite characters. It is a fairly quick and action-filled read. Well worth it for Conan fans. Yes - it is better than the movie.
Craig
Aug 04, 2011 Craig rated it liked it
This was a good adventure novel, alot of good action scenes, characters were not bad, it was fun to see Jordan's earlier writing style.
Jeff
Mar 04, 2008 Jeff rated it it was ok
I read this my sophomore year in high school. For some reason, the fact that I read the book has stuck with me. Don't judge!!!
Josef Miyasato
Nov 15, 2008 Josef Miyasato rated it liked it
This is the only Conan I've ever read. And I must say that I enjoyed it thoroughly, like a good burger.
David
Dec 01, 2008 David rated it really liked it
What can I say? I'm a sucker for cheesy fanatsy. Conan is the ultimate cheese.
Antonio
Jun 17, 2011 Antonio rated it it was amazing
GREAT NOVELIZATION OF THE SECOND MOVIE WITH A FEW DIFFERENCES.
James Farnsworth
Jul 25, 2010 James Farnsworth rated it it was ok
i read this in High School haha it was alright but nothing special
Charles
Jan 04, 2009 Charles rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy
Conan pastiche. A novelization of the second Conan movie.
Colin
Jan 30, 2009 Colin rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: conan
Better than the movie (which isn't saying much).
Michael D Keller
Much, much better than the movie.
Marcus
Jun 01, 2011 Marcus rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Better than a sharp stick in the eye.
Timothy
Oct 18, 2012 Timothy rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites, conan
Yep this is the movie adaption :)
Todd Horvath
Todd Horvath marked it as to-read
May 03, 2016
Darren Mitton
Darren Mitton marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Russell
Russell marked it as to-read
May 02, 2016
Jim
Jim added it
Apr 30, 2016
Sam
Sam rated it it was amazing
Apr 29, 2016
Maria
Maria added it
Apr 28, 2016
  • Conan the Defiant
  • Conan and the Spider God (Book 18)
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • Conan the Champion
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Conan the Renegade (Conan)
  • Conan the Usurper (Conan, #8)
  • Conan the Rebel
  • Conan the Buccaneer
  • Conan of Venarium

Robert Jordan was the pen name of James Oliver Rigney, Jr., under which he was best known as the author of the bestselling The Wheel of Time fantasy series. He also wrote under the names Reagan O'Neal and Jackson O'Reilly.

Jordan was born in Charleston, South Carolina. He served two tours in Vietnam (from 1968 to
More about Robert Jordan...

Robert Jordan's Conan Novels (7 books)
  • Conan the Invincible (Conan, #1)
  • Conan the Defender (Conan, #2)
  • Conan the Unconquered (Conan, #3)
  • Conan the Triumphant (Conan, #4)
  • Conan the Magnificent (Conan, #5)
  • Conan the Victorious (Conan, #7)