Start by marking “Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories” as Want to Read:
Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories

Conan, Vol. 4: The Halls of the Dead and Other Stories (Conan Ongoing Series #4)

4.07 of 5 stars 4.07  ·  rating details  ·  661 ratings  ·  19 reviews
Know, O Prince, that in an age undreamed of, shining kingdoms lay spread across the world like blue mantles beneath the stars. Hither came Conan the Cimmerian; black-haired, sullen-eyed, sword in hand, a thief, a reaver, a slayer, with gigantic melancholies and gigantic mirth, to tread the jeweled thrones of the Earth under his sandaled feet . . .

Conan: The Hall of the Dea
Published July 3rd 2007 by Dark Horse Books (first published November 22nd 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Conan, Vol. 4, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Conan, Vol. 4

Steven Harbin
I read the Barry Smith illustrated Marvel comic version of this story way back in 1970 while on vacation in Hawaii. That version remains one of my all time favorite comics and artistic rendetions of the young Conan, so I approached this newer version with some trepidation. I must say that I was pleasantly surprised. I thought both the story (it's based on a short fragment of Howard's, not a full blown story, so there's plenty of room on the part of the creators to take in where they will) and th ...more
Alex
The Hall of the Dead is the first place in the Dark Horse Conan reboot where they have moved significantly from established and published stories to interpreting and expanding story fragments. In THE HALL OF THE DEAD, they do a fantastic job of expanding the fragment while pulling from other portions of Howard's oeuvre. The batrachian god Gol-Goroth makes an appearance, which featured prominently in the mythos tale THE BLACK STONE. And the idols worn by the priests in THE BLACK STONE and THE THI ...more
Scott Lee
Much like volume three this one was hit or miss for me. Okay, a little more than last volume. The middle issues were nearly all visuals and sound effects. Now I appreciate the fact that comic books are a visual medium, but its the melding of visuals and language that I love about them. When the words disappear nearly entirely as they do in the middle of this volume (I almost thought I was in one of G.I. Joe's silent Snake Eyes gimic issues from the eighties) it just doesn't work for me.

The stor
Heath Lowrance
This volume is pretty much all original material by the authors, the central story "The Hall of the Dead" being based on a brief synopsis written by REH. It's fleshed out in the middle three parts by Mike Mignola (you know it's Mignola, because there are FROGS), and makes a nicely creepy tale, sandwiched as it is between outgoing writer Kurt Busiek's last two chapters and incoming writer Tim Truman's two-part debut. Cary Nord's artwork is even better than usual here, with very little of the rush ...more
Angel
Aug 22, 2011 Angel rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of Conan the Barbarian, fantasy readers, graphic novel readers
I continue to enjoy this series put out by Dark Horse. However, this particular volume marks a transition as the series changes authors and artists. There is some work from the initial authors of the series, and then work from new writers, including Mike Mignola, of Hellboy fame. Conan is still a young thief, and he is quite brash, often reckless; he is that youthful stage where you think you are invincible and nothing can touch you. When he beds the wife of a local magistrate, the hunt for him ...more
Jon Schafle
My first Conan comic was Marvel's Conan the Barbarian #8, which was an adaptation of the Halls of the Dead story. Taking more of a horror theme, Conan follows tales of riches to a strange city of ruins guarded by a giant frog-creature that seemed to have been worshiped by a fanatical cult. Conan and his unlikely ally, another thief and rival of Conan that was tasked with bringing him to justice, must find their way out with its treasure as the dead rise up to stop them.
Helmut
Sternen Augenschmaus

Ich rede nicht lange drumherum: Auch dieser vierte Band der gesammelten neuen Abenteuer Conans ist ein wahrer Augenschmaus und lebt hauptsächlich von den fantastischen Zeichnungen Cary Nords und der überwältigend guten Kolorierung von Dave Stewart. Einige atemberaubende Szenen (beispielsweise wie Conan durch den verlassenen Krötentempel streift) erwecken das Szenario richtig zum Leben.
Daneben gibt es ein solides Skript, das den jungen Conan so darstellt, wie ihn Howard gescha
April
Lovely artwork and a fairly solid script in terms of the chapters by Kurt Busiek and Mike Mignola. I still really prefer Howard's original story for "The Halls of the Dead" because it was a lot more to the point and Conan didn't have a girlfriend with jealousy issues. And the story that followed after wards was fairly disappointing.

I'm also not much of a fan of Jiarra's role in any of the stories in this volume. Thankfully Nestor was around. He actually did things and joked a bit so it was nice
Gregory
Dark Horse's reboot of Conan in comic form has been consistently great. It's definitely a guilty pleasure but totally worth checking out. The writing has been excellent. It both preserves a lot of the original Robert Howard and branches out creatively. In this book Kurt Busiek turns over some of the writing duties to Mike Mignola which was awesome.
Ian James
good but the real treasure is the essay at the end discussing Lovecraft and Howards relationship
Matt Ryan
Beautiful art, but by the end it was just another couple sequences of a stock Conan plot line. The Mignola part was easy to find - another ancient frog-god - but the art helped hold my interest. Hard to tell if it's an homage to Howard or a repetition of tired ideas for new readers.
Dan Schul
Darkhorse Comics adaptation of Conan the Barbarian.

Some of the stories are adaptation of some of Robert E. Howards best stories, others are original stories by the Darkhorse Writers. A very nice collection of stories if you like the sword and sorcery genre.
Joe
Mike Mignola wrote parts of this, so I am required by personal law to give it 5 stars, but I am afraid I must break the law this time. The imagery of this volume is stunning, second only to the Tower of the Elephant, but the stories are a bit weak, almost rambling.
Robert
More Conan
Cheryl
These are the best portrayals of the Cimmerian outside of REH's original novels, in my opinion. Gorgeously illustrated, too! I recommend the whole series.
Michael
Amazing, again. Mike Mignola adds his Lovecraftian lore to this volume, and it works ever so well with the Conan oeuvre.
Sam
Very true to Robert E Howard's Conan. Plus the artwork was phenomenal.
Charles
After this one, the series starts to go downhill because they lose both the great artist and the writer and switch them out. This one has Mike Mignola (writer and artist of Hellboy fame) doing a part of the writing, so he thoroughly saves this one.
Zanne
Jul 07, 2012 Zanne marked it as to-read  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novels
24.95
Johnny Stephens
Johnny Stephens marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Benjamin Eliasz
Benjamin Eliasz marked it as to-read
May 18, 2015
Everett Lathrop
Everett Lathrop marked it as to-read
May 16, 2015
  • Conan, Vol. 5: Rogues in the House and Other Stories
  • Conan, Vol. 6: The Hand of Nergal
  • Conan, Vol. 13: Queen of the Black Coast
  • The Savage Sword of Conan, Volume 1
  • B.P.R.D., Vol. 4: The Dead (B.P.R.D., #4)
  • The Punisher MAX, Vol. 8: Widowmaker
  • Fritz Leiber's Fafhrd and the Gray Mouser
  • Conan: Road of Kings
  • Conan: Sword of Skelos
  • The Goon, Volume 4: Virtue and the Grim Consequences Thereof
Kurt Busiek is an American comic book writer notable for his work on the Marvels limited series, his own title Astro City, and his four-year run on Avengers.

Busiek did not read comics as a youngster, as his parents disapproved of them. He began to read them regularly around the age of 14, when he picked up a copy of Daredevil #120. This was the first part of a continuity-heavy four-part story arc;
More about Kurt Busiek...

Conan Ongoing Series (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • Conan, Vol. 0: Born on the Battlefield
  • Conan, Vol. 6: The Hand of Nergal
  • Conan, Vol. 7: Cimmeria
  • Conan, Vol. 8: Black Colossus
  • Conan, Vol. 9: Free Companions
Marvels Astro City, Vol. 1: Life in the Big City Superman: Secret Identity Astro City, Vol. 2: Confession JLA/Avengers