Start by marking “Serenity: Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1)” as Want to Read:
Serenity: Those Left Behind (Serenity, #1)

Serenity: Those Left Behind (Serenity #1)

4.03 of 5 stars 4.03  ·  rating details  ·  18,392 ratings  ·  671 reviews
The ragtag crew take on a scavenger mission with the promise of a big payoff. Only too late do they realise the gig is orchestrated by the old enemy eager to remake their acquaintance - with the help of operatives wearing bright blue gloves.
Hardcover, Oversized Hardcover Edition, 96 pages
Published November 27th 2007 by Dark Horse Books (first published January 31st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Serenity, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Serenity

Ronyell
Serenity

Introduction:

Now, I will be honest here. Even though I have seen many of Joss Whedon’s works in the past, I did not know anything about the infamous cancelled TV series “Firefly” up until recently. What is even more surprising about this is that I had the movie “Serenity” for many years before I watched “Firefly” and I did not know that “Serenity” was a continuation of “Firefly” until I saw the movie again recently and realized that these were the same characters that I saw in “Firef
Brad
What makes this comic fly is that it feels as though it is a genuine episode bridging the gap between Firefly and Serenity. I don't mean that it is merely a story that bridges the gap between television series and film, which it is, but that it actually feels like its very own live action episode.

Now I imagine that I feel so strongly because I am a fan of Firefly / Serenity, but I am pretty sure that you're not reading Serenity Those Left Behind or my review unless you are a fan too (if you are
Ken-ichi
I am a HUGE Firefly fan and just finished rewatching the series for, I don't know, the 7th time? Something like that. There is also a new comic book store within walking distance of my place (Escapist Comics on Claremont, check it out!). I was in there hoping to pick up The Cloud Searchers, but Mal and Book et al looked down at me from the shelf, so despite past disappointment with some of the Buffy comics, I picked some up. Unsurprisingly, kind of disappointing. This volume is a prelude to the ...more
Sesana
Bridging the gap between the end of the TV series and the beginning of the movie, Those Left Behind is really very much like reading an episode of the show in comic book format. The art is pretty accurate as far as portraying the characters (one of my biggest pet peeves about tie in comics is when the characters on the page look nothing like the characters on the screen) and is overall nice to look at. The writing, especially in the dialog, is as solid as it ever was on the show. My one complain ...more
Wyatt Packard
I am new to the Firefly fandom but I am totally on board in calling myself a browncoat. And after marathoning Firefly and Serenity like there was no tomorrow I was thrilled to find while shelving that my library owned both Serenity: Those Left Behind and Serenity: Better Days, both of which I eagerly checked out. Now I was actually somewhat disappointed with Those Left Behind. For many people (including myself, comics can be the perfect extension of a show or movie and I was very excited to see ...more
Kirstine
I hate Sundays. I hate sunny Sundays even more.
But you know what makes them almost bearable?
Firefly!

This covers some of the gap between the ending of Firefly and the movie Serenity, and it does an excellent job of it.
And to see more of these characters is always a pleasure. It could have been a bit longer (as in it should just never end), but the length fits the length of an original Firefly episode, and I like that.

I also like the art, something I forgot to mention in my review of The Shepher
Kim
After a long time of wanting them I finally got my hands on the Firefly graphic novels. The first is set sometime just after the series finished and is a short but fun adventure that slightly foreshadows the movie.

A great addition was the section at the back where Joss Whedon told the story of the Firefly universe including how the Browncoats started and how Mal, Zoe and Wash got together.

The artwork was great and really brought me back into a universe that I haven't visited in far too long. For
Ben Babcock
Somewhat disappointingly, this is not a story about what happens to Malcolm Reynolds and the crew of Serenity after the Rapture. It's an interstitial between the abrupt ending of Firefly and the Serenity movie, covering some of the difficulty the crew has getting work, as well as Shepherd Book and Inara's departures. We also see an old antagonist, Lawrence Dobson, return for revenge.

In case you don't remember him, Dobson was an Alliance agent on the trail of Simon and River in the first episode.
Rob
I ended up reading these out of order because I've borrowed them from a friend who is in turn borrowing them from the library.

I think I enjoyed this one more than The Shepherd's Tale. The art was better, and there was no jumping around (The jumping around wouldn't have been so bad in a longer story though).

This story also felt too short. And it seems like it left off on a cliffhanger. I'll have to check out Better Days and see if it comes to a better conclusion.

It's worth reading at least once
Michael
This may only be a short adventure, but it's nice to have another firefly fix. I miss the show and I think its about time I rewatch the series. The artwork and writing all fit perfectly with my memories of this great series. I'm looking forward to more adventures.
Caitlin

I will admit now that I was a latecomer to the Firefly fanbase as I only fell in love after having seen the movie Serenity. Since then it's been one of the best shows I've ever watched and features some of my favorite fictional characters ever. It had been awhile since I watched either but then my friends and I started playing the Firefly board game and now I just can't pull myself out of that amazing 'verse. Those Left Behind is a small but perfect taste of Firefly that just leaves you wanting
CRO
3.5 Stars

I wanted to like this so much more than I did. Quite frankly the extra 1/2 star is only because I have such a geek-on for this ill-fated tv series and the followup movie - and don't even get me started on Nathan Fillion.

It's not bad - really - the artwork is beautiful, the dialogue pithy (thankfully written by Whedon himself), the story - well it wasn't on par with my all time fave series episode Objects in Space, but it was a good 2nd or 3rd tier type episode - not great, but solid.

I
Helen
Edit 13/08/05

I shamefully admit I overrated this comic the first time around, even by starry-eyed standards. Those were my first days on Goodreads, still testing the waters of internet reviewing, and the fandom of this franchise is very intimidating. Fans will still love it, but the magic is gone from my affair with Mr Whedon. And objectively, the comic is in the lower quality tier. I rarely revise the ratings, but I was of two minds about this one from the start, and it really didn't hold up on
Eric
Sep 04, 2011 Eric rated it 2 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Die-hard Firefly/Serenity fans
Recommended to Eric by: Found on clearance at Borders
I love Firefly. I love Serenity. I love graphic novels. I did not love Serenity: Those Left Behind. It was a pale imitation of the canon's greatness.

What I didn't like:
The back of the comic said this bridged the gap between the show and the movie, but it didn't. Apparently it is the first in a series that eventually bridges the gap. I don't need to buy and read multiple comics to get to the end of a comic series that leaves me at the beginning of the movie I've already seen (multiple times).

The
Jenna
The Song of Jayne keeps echoing through my head whenever someone says his name. The drawing style was almost like looking at paintings and the coloring was beautifully done. It makes me want to rewatch Firefly. And hopefully it'll provide a bridge to Serenity that felt like quite a big jump from the series. Next please!
Trin
I think the biggest problem with this for me is that I just now got to read it; it may have had more of an impact if I'd actually read it BEFORE watching Serenity, but alas. Post-movie, it's kind of pointless: it fills in some of the gaps between the series and the film, but not in any way the film fails to. The plot resurrects a character that in my mind should have stayed dead, only to kill him again, and makes very poor use of the Two by Two, Hands of Blue guys. Also, the art annoyed me. Some ...more
Traci Loudin
Jan 23, 2013 Traci Loudin rated it 4 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Firefly fans who like graphic novels
Shelves: own
Overall, a good continuation of Firefly. Those Left Behind takes place between the Firefly TV show and the Serenity movie. As for the artwork, the characters don't look quite like the actors in some of the scenes. But there are also full page shots of each that are very close to their likenesses.

They're also able to be a little more violent in here than they were in the show. The action resolved super fast, but I guess if you consider this as one episode it makes sense. As a Firefly fan, I defi
♥Xeni♥
Essentially this is the drawn version of Firefly (the TV show). For all that, the characters look remarkably like the cast, the drawings are well rendered and well illustrated as well.

The plot, is, of course, to those who are familiar with the show, predictable. I don't mind.

I enjoyed the drawings and the odd bits tossed in (say, Chinese swear words anyone?) but it just felt really short. I suppose because there isn't a lot of text, and just a lot of images. Not bad, not bad, but not my favorit
Simone
The story was okay and the dialog was very much what I want from the Firefly / Serenity crew, but the appalling interior art, especially the renderings of the women, was such a distraction that I really didn't enjoy this.

It gets two stars instead of one because of a few very nice panels (guest artist covers and so on) and because of how much I enjoy the series in general.

Some of the bits about costuming for the series and movie, collected at the end of the hardcover edition, were interesting as
Dan Moren
The first of two Joss Whedon graphic novels I read this weekend, Those Left Behind attempts to plug the gap between the Firefly TV show and its movie followup, Serenity. The meshing is imperfect at best, with an attempt to cram too many unresolved threads into too little space. I can’t help but wish that Whedon had actually gotten at least a couple of full seasons in which to flesh out the rich world he clearly had in mind, but it is nice to see the voice of the show continued here.
Inês Silveira
I have (finally) caught up with Castle, and I now have a Nathan Fillion gap in my life.

That's why I decided to start reading these. Firefly was one of my favourite shows of all time, and I can't get enough of it. We got the board game last year, which was pretty exciting and made me love the Serenity crew all over again, but this really hit the spot.

A whole new story! And Dobson is back, surprise! And Wash is still a part of the team... my heart has been mended!!

The illustrations were pretty goo
Sarah Churchill
Yeah, s'ok. I've just finished re-watching the series, so I'm totally in the Firefly zone and wanting more! This did the job of adding a little extra story between the series and movie, and it was pretty funny seeing Dobson pop back up. But apart from a couple of little one-liners it wasn't nearly as funny or fun as I'm used to these characters being.
Jaime
4 Shiny stars

description

I love Firefly (its my 2nd favourite T.V show next to M*A*S*H) so i was browsing on Amazon and Serenity: Those Left Behind popped up on kindle fire format i brought it immediately i don't read graphic novels often but i am re-watching Firefly at the moment so i thought I'd give it a go.

description

Loved it! it was a fun little adventure with crew of Serenity. The artwork was lovely and i could imagine the characters voices in my head. I am looking forward to reading more of the novels.
Becky
You know, just once I want these to be a full sized graphic novel. Sure, its 100 pages but most of that is forwards, and information about the groundwork for the movie/ show, and its pages that are not spent advancing the story. And I LIKE learning about the concept art, and concept history for the Whedonverse, BUT I am reading these for the stories.

Maybe its unfair to downgrade the rating simply because I wanted more. I'm just disappointed, yes, this is a bridge between the end of the show and
Clark Hallman
Serenity: Those Left Behind by Joss Whedon, Brett Matthews and Will Conrad (a graphic novel from Dark Horse Books) - The reader joins Captain Malcolm Reynolds of the Firefly-class starship Serenity and his renegade crew attempting to appropriate some supplies and money on the planet Constance. However, other renegades rob Serenity’s crew of their money and supplies and the Serenity gang must fight their way off the planet. Thus begins an appealing space opera as Mal and his renegades battle othe ...more
Brittany
This was....not what I wanted. I'm not even really sure why. There was still the great dynamic between the characters that I had grown to love on the show. Zoe was still Mal's "follow you to the depths of hell" right hand man. Zoe still sassed Jayne, who sassed his shit right back. Zoe and Wash were still insanely in love, which breaks my heart to no end. (Zoe, Zoe, Zoe. For me, it's really all about Zoe.) Kaylee was still flirty with Simon, and still had no response. And Book was still just try ...more
Iset

I read this last year and thought it was about time for a re-read. I have to admit I'm a relative newcomer to Firefly. I saw the film, Serenity, a few years ago but somehow never caught the tv series until just before Christmas last year. I was so-so on the film (partly because the sound-mixing was sadly sub-par, and it's hard to enjoy something when you can't hear what people are saying over the ambient noise). But the series got me hooked. I love its mix of sci-fi and western, and how it relie
Zarakoda
I went into Goodwill looking for cosplay costuming for several ST and FMA characters, but then saw an amazing brown leather trench coat. Not only did it fit me - an absolute miracle, given my short size and very narrow shoulders - but it made me feel completely kick-butt. I took it home with me. No freaking duh. I AM a Browncoat, and every single time I wear that trench coat, I have problems remembering I am NOT Malcolm Reynolds, I do NOT captain Serenity, and the Alliance is NOT after me.

So whe
Julianna
Sep 08, 2008 Julianna rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Fans of Firefly & Serenity
Reviewed for www.thcreviews.com

The Serenity: Those Left Behind graphic novel is a nice companion piece to the Firefly television series and the Serenity feature film, both created by Joss Whedon. It presents an exciting missing chapter in the story that occurs chronologically between Firefly and Serenity. The story was engaging and very nicely done, giving the reader the feel of watching an episode of Firefly. The characterizations are true to the television series. In fact, the dialog was so we
  • Serenity: Float Out (Serenity, #2.6)
  • Serenity: Downtime (Serenity, #3.5)
  • Dollhouse: Epitaphs (Dollhouse, #1-5)
  • The Guild (The Guild, #1)
  • Serenity: The Other Half (Serenity, #2.5)
  • Finding Serenity: Anti-Heroes, Lost Shepherds and Space Hookers in Joss Whedon's Firefly
  • Serenity
  • Spike: After the Fall
  • Angel & Faith: Live Through This (Angel & Faith, #1)
  • Spike Omnibus
  • Buffy the Vampire Slayer Omnibus Vol. 4
  • Heroes: Volume One
  • Runaways, Vol. 2: Teenage Wasteland (Runaways, #2)
Joss Whedon (born Joseph Hill Whedon) is an American screenwriter, executive producer, film and television director, comic book writer, occasional composer, and actor, and the founder of Mutant Enemy Productions and co-creator of Bellwether Pictures.

He is best known as the creator and showrunner of the television series 'Buffy the Vampire Slayer (1997–2003)', 'Angel (1999–2004)', 'Firefly (2002)'
More about Joss Whedon...

Serenity (5 books)
  • Serenity: Better Days and Other Stories (Serenity, #2)
  • Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3)
  • Serenity: It's Never Easy (Serenity #3.6)
  • Serenity: Leaves on the Wind
Buffy the Vampire Slayer: The Long Way Home (Season 8, #1) Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 1: Gifted Fray Astonishing X-Men, Vol. 2: Dangerous Serenity: The Shepherd's Tale (Serenity, #3)