Poor Tom Is Cold (Detective Murdoch, #3)

Poor Tom Is Cold (Detective Murdoch #3)

3.75 of 5 stars 3.75  ·  rating details  ·  370 ratings  ·  45 reviews
In this third adventure featuring the lovable detective William Murdoch, he becomes involved with the apparent suicide of Constable Oliver Wicken – a man who was the sole support of his mother and invalid sister. But further investigation by Detective Murdoch takes him far afield and he begins to suspect that the Eakin family, whose house adjoins the one where Wicken died,...more
Published February 6th 2001 by Thomas Dunne Books (first published February 1st 2001)

To ask other readers questions about Poor Tom Is Cold, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Poor Tom Is Cold

Cheryl
This was a mystery within a mystery within a mystery. The kind of story that makes a great PBS Masterpiece Mystery. I'd read Maureen Jennings first 2 books in the series quite awhile ago in paperback. Then I couldn't find them anywhere and then most of them popped up as Kindle editions on Amazon so I've some catching up to do! Detective Murdoch's "sleuthing" seems more accidental than purposeful, but nevertheless these are great historical mysteries with plenty of great Victoriana and quirky but...more
Ubiquitousbastard
Okay, so this really wasn't any better than the previous book, but thankfully it's so short that I don't feel angry about having wasted time reading it. Oh, do I think it was a waste of time...probably. The Eakins family parts were so horrendously boring that I don't even know how to describe how bored they made me. Well, they managed it in a <400 page book so pretty freaking boring, I would say.

Then there's the fact that I STILL can't connect to the series' characters. I really thought that...more
Gwen
(Reading these slightly out of order as I'm limited by what the library has available--but if you've seen the show, you can fill in the missing character details, at least about Murdoch.)

Not as good as the first book in the series. There was far too much going on here to really have a tight, coherent narrative: the treatment of Chinese immigrants, the use of hysterectomies, the role of psychiatric institutions, a conniving family, a lying prostitute, long scenes about juries, and so much more. T...more
Kathleen Hagen
Poor Tom is Cold, by Maureen Jennings, a-minus, Narrated by David Marrantz, Produced by Audible Inc., Downloaded from audible.com.

This is the third in the series involving 1855 Canada. Detective William Murdoch becomes involved with the apparent suicide of Constable Oliver Wicken, a man who was
the sole support of his mother and invalid sister. But further investigation by Detective Murdoch takes him far afield, and he begins to suspect that the
Eakin family, whose house adjoins the one where Wick...more
Louise
My first Maureen Jennings novel and I really enjoyed it.

From back cover:

"Maureen Jenning's first two novels, Except the Dying and Under the Dragon's Tail, impressed readers and reviewers alike with their vivid portrayal of Toronto at the turn of the twentieth century.

In this third adventure featuring the amiable detective William Murdoch, he becomes involved with the apparent suicide of Constable Oliver Wicken - a man who was the sole support of his mother and invalid sister. The evidence, accor...more
Ryan
To start, a confession: I only discovered Murdoch through the television show, and am now starting in on the books (of which I mistakenly thought this was the first). As such, that's my frame of reference going into this.

The book was very different from the show I've grown to love - some characters are missing, others are very different, and the tonality of the entire story is completely different. Enough that it feels like a completely disconnected story from the Murdoch Mysteries television sh...more
Cindy
Love the Murdoch Mysteries! Poor Constable Wicken supposedly committed suicide over a lost love. This is hard for Murdoch and the other police officers to believe, so Murdoch is told by Inspector Brakenreid to dig deeper. Meanwhile, Mrs Nathaniel Eakin (Peg) has been committed to an asylum because she thinks someone from the Eakin family killed her young son. As it turns out, the Eakin family is involved with the Constable's death. All loose ends are tied up and Murdoch once again saves the day!
Sue
back to five stars for this book . I love mysteries when reader is actually given all the pieces throughout the book to solve the murder but one crucial fact is missing until the very end,, and yes this is such a book.
Thalia
Creepy. It opens on some strange notations and it keeps going with some unusual occurances. Besides a good mystery I would like to comment on a religious theme. This isn't Christian fiction but I find Jennings is very upfront about our Detectives religion and the struggles he has with anti-catholic people. I like that Murdoch often does (opr says) things that reflect his beleifs without preachy. He's a real catholic and I appreciate that, it's actually unusual in my experiance, to read a book wh...more
Pamela Mclaren
A fairly straight forward turn of the 20th-century mystery if a little darker and gruesome. I liked the detective but just about everyone else I couldn't get a handle on, the villains and there were many were pretty rotten and the others, rather than being good were sort of benign. While the mystery was resolved (in the very last 10 pages!), it seemed like there should have been a bit more.
Amanda Meggs
This series improves with each book. I would have liked the wrap up to include what happened to Peg though. Murdoch is unfortunately still rather unlucky in love.
Scott Williams
I wanted to give this a higher rating. I quite enjoyed it until the end. It seems to me, the whole thing wraps up very quickly. It was not a satisfying ending but it was still an enjoyable read.
Gordon
I found the setting and language details to be well in keeping with the historical setting. The treatment of Chinese characters and those in the "looney bin" rang true. The book tackles many of the social issues and mores of the day and does it well.

The characters are well drawn, although quite different from those in the television series. They tend to be less refined just like the story is cruder and more bawdy.

The mystery is not so much a whodunit but more of a "how will the truth be discove...more
Mary Ann
Interesting how they seem to have made more than one show for the TV series from one book. Looking forward to book 4 in the series.
Fullfaun
I started watching the ARTful Detective TV series and found out it was based on her books which give a more in depth look at the turn of the Century (19th) Toronto.

Cinzanopaws
Easy read..several characters to follow.
Kalendra Dee
Murdoch investigates the disappearance of Constable Oliver Wicken. Retracing the constable’s steps, he finds Wicken’s body in an abandoned house, the victim of an apparent suicide. His mother and friends, however, are not convinced. Re-opening the case, Murdoch soon realizes that the answer to this puzzling death involves wealthy families and secrets; secrets that someone is willing to kill to keep from coming to light. A puzzling mystery set in Canada at the end of the 19th century.
Teri
Aug 13, 2008 Teri rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: fans of murder mysteries, Victorian Toronto
Recommended to Teri by: my sister, who lives in Toronto
I'm not quite done with this, the third in the Detective Murdoch series. Jennings must enjoy doing some detective-like research of her own, as this novel has a bit of detail about cutting-edge (no pun) dentistry in 1895 Toronto.

Now that I've finished it, I can say I liked it as much as the others. I'm glad the local libraries stock Jennings's books because, now that I'm sort of hooked on them, it will be too expensive to buy them all!
Kim
Wanted to like this one, but very immediately the low & sordid side of things comes up. I checked some other people's reviews, and this is apparently a trademark of hers, to have "gritty" and explicit-talking characters wallow in the seamy side of life. Not to my taste, although the TV series is very beautifully & interestingly done. And no, I didn't finish. NOT recommended.
Betty
Set in 1890s Toronto, the historical aspect is the strongest element of the book. The mystery is well within the genre, but the characters seemed over-wrought and shallow at the same time. The ending was more than rushed. Not a mystery series that I plan to follow. And I'm happy I didn't live in Toronto at the end of the 19th century.
Debra
Another wonderful Detective Murdoch story. Victorian Toronto has its own secrets that Murdoch has to dig into to find a murderer. This story shows how women were treated back then, and how little power they had over their own lives. Very good.
Shawna
Although I didn't find this novel as fast paced as the first two I read, I still enjoyed it. I love how Jennings does not gloss over awful and unfair things were in Victorian Toronto and for this reason I will continue to recommend her books.
Terri
Book was pretty good until the end. Then it seemed like a contrived ending, and that the author was trying to wrap up things as fast as possible. There were still a couple ends left dangling..just wasn't a complete ending.
Ken
Another very good historical police procedural by Jennings. Her history and dialogue are accurate as usual. Maybe I missed something so could someone explain the title to me?
Carrie
I got into the TV show before I discovered the books so was slightly disappointed that the characters weren't exactly the same. The mystery was decent. Really more of a 2.5 stars
Stefanie
This is closer to 4.5 stars. Jennings is really hitting her stride with this book. I actually had butterflies in my stomach at the end--would Murdoch arrive in time?
Ian
Oddly, quite a sudden ending. We saw it coming, but the usual summing-up never happened. True, it wasn't needed, but one is used to having it, that's all.
Paula
Great subject matter, and quite chilling to think about being a woman during that time period. Very well written and will definitely keep you guessing!
Kirsten
Of course I want to know if Murdoch will get together with Enid. I appreciate learning about life in late-Victorian Toronto.
  • Crime Machine
  • The Watch that Ends the Night
  • The Orkney Scroll (Lara McClintoch Archeological Mystery, #10)
  • Barnacle Love
  • The Beggar's Opera
  • The Red Pole of Macau (Ava Lee, #4)
  • Death of a Stranger (William Monk, #13)
  • Good Morning, Irene (Irene Adler, #2)
  • The Building Of Jalna
  • Old City Hall (Detective Greene, #1)
  • One for Sorrow (John the Eunuch, #1)
  • In Another Place, Not Here
  • The Crown in Darkness (Hugh Corbett, #2)
  • The Incident Report
  • Murder on St. Mark's Place (Gaslight Mystery, #2)
  • Death at Glamis Castle (Kathryn Ardleigh, #9)
Maureen Jennings, now a Canadian Citizen, was born on Eastfield Road in Birmingham, England and spent her formative years there until she emigrated to Canada at the age of seventeen with her mother.

This has meant that she still feels a deep connection with her homeland. It has also no doubt been a strong influence in her love for, and her writing about, the Victorian period. She attended the Unive...more
More about Maureen Jennings...
Except the Dying (Detective Murdoch, #1) Under the Dragon's Tail (Detective Murdoch, #2) Season of Darkness (Detective Tom Tyler #1) Let Loose the Dogs (Detective Murdoch, #4) Night's Child (Detective Murdoch, #5)