Start by marking “Mc Nally's Gamble” as Want to Read:
Mc Nally's Gamble

Mc Nally's Gamble (Archy McNally #7)

3.87  ·  Rating Details ·  1,181 Ratings  ·  48 Reviews
Palm Beach bon vivant and playboy sleuth Archy McNally returns in another tale of love and larceny among the wealthy denizens of south Florida.Archy lives a life most people only dream about. As Chief of Discreet Inquiries at his father's white-shoe law firm, Archy keeps tabs on the rich and famous while keeping hours only a barfly could love. When well-to-do widow Edythe ...more
Audio CD, Abridged
Published February 9th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published December 12th 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Mc Nally's Gamble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mc Nally's Gamble

Darcy
Mar 01, 2009 Darcy rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I liked the charming main character, but it was funny how this 1997 novel had certain features which dated it terribly--like how everyone marvelled about a hotel that had caller I.D. that helped catch some kidnappers--Wow!
John
Mar 02, 2011 John rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another very fun Archy McNally tale. Unfortunately the last "real" McNally book. Since I've already read one of the others, I know they are a huge step down and aren't worthy of reading. I may have enjoyed this one more because I knew it was the last and it was very refreshing to return to the characters as Sanders wrote them. I can't help but wonder if he approved the books written by the other guy who distorted and twisted his characters unabashedly. Shame. These books did get a little formula ...more
Samir Krishnamurti
Lawrence Sanders rates as one of my all-time favourite detective story writers. The entire McNally canon just oozes with all the things that makes a good crime pot-boiler - dastardly and clever crime, beautiful women, and a wonderfully authentic urban setting. Glamour, glitz, girls and gore, in other words. What makes the McNally books special though, is the fact that they are narrated in the first person through perhaps the most lovable (male) idiosyncratic detective of all time, the one and on ...more
Chuck
Sep 20, 2016 Chuck rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable little mystery. Reminded me of a Janet Evonovich mystery except that when I list the genre on her books I put fiction, mystery, crime and romance. On Sanders books I list fiction, mystery, crime and humor. Since I have read all the Connelly, Sandford, Grisham, Baldacci, DeMille, Child, Flynn, McDonald and others I have been looking for a new source of mystery entertainment and so far Sanders or Agatha Christie will be on the list. Cute, clever little novel.
Jerry
Sep 26, 2016 Jerry rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Sanders’ McNally series was favorite reading years ago – even the continuations by author Vincent Pardo were fun entries in this set about a foppish private eye to mostly a wealthy clientele. What McNally was wearing or what parties he was attending got as much ink as the mystery in some cases, so these were all fairly lighthearted novels, of which “Gamble” was the seventh and last of the originals.

The plot as such was about a seemingly shady investment advisor who is trying to convince a wealth
Joy
Mar 20, 2016 Joy rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A rich widow has chosen a charming financial advisor, who tells her she can make a huge profit by buying and selling a Faberge egg. The set-up stinks to McNally & Son, but even more to the widow's daughter and son, who want the money for their own use. Archy NcNally scrabbles around looking for a chink in the façade of the smooth financial advisor, while the loose-cannon son and daughter set out to block the transaction in their own way.
Ed
#7 in the Archie McNally series. Final effort by author Sanders; the series was continued after his death by Vincent Lardo.

Archie McNally mystery - Playboy sleuth Archy McNally, finds yet more greed, envy, and murder among Florida's rich and famous-and all because of the Faberge Imperial egg that, much to her children's consternation, the widowed Edythe Westmore would like to buy.

Timothy
This book, novel, started painfully slowly at first, unlike the only other book I've read from Sanders, Caper (not to be confused with McNally's Caper), I found this book to be a joyful achievement in my collection.
I found a flawed hero better then a true hero.
How Archy, our hero is flawed? He loves coitus, and not just with hours current fling. It makes him feel like a true human.
Christa McNally
Nov 23, 2007 Christa McNally rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
You know that RELEASE of laughing outloud when you read? Regardless of where you are when you read this long joke, you are in Miami Florida, sweating, imagining eveyone around you is in a conspiracy. Pull out the white linen suit, SKYY90 martini, and a comfy couch: by the end you will want to become a member of this silver-spooned private investigation team.
Lucy
"I calmed down by spending the remainder of the morning addressing and signing a stack of Christmas cards I should have mailed a week ago. There were more than fifty and I wondered how barbarous it would be to run them through the company's meter rather than purchase stamps. I finally decided a metered Xmas card was simply too gauche" (295).
Jan 12, 2012 Sarah rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction, mystery
I'm assuming this is supposed to be satirical in nature, otherwise it would just be bad rather than laughingly bad. It's cheesy and seriously lacking in depth but that's the whole point from what I can tell. It's a fun, fluff of a murder mystery. The quirky McNally is amusing but I just don't think it's a series I'll be reading more of.
Beverly
Sep 04, 2012 Beverly rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime-series
This is one of the last in the Archy McNally series written by the late Lawrence Sanders. Despite its weaknesses, it's hard to dislike this as a tour de force of eccentric detective/fop/bygone era humor. It has a strange tone, the plot is dull, and the supporting characters are not that distinct or memorable
Ross
Aug 27, 2008 Ross rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, 2008, fiction, mystery
1st Archy McNally novel I've read. My wife says they're all a pretty light but fun read, to which I have to agree. I'm not sure I really like the Archy McNally character, but the mystery itself was intriguing and there were enough fun descriptions of gourmet food sprinkled through the book to keep me always wanting to go nosh on something.
Dorothy Caimano
Mar 13, 2010 Dorothy Caimano rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
McNally is a bad boy, but I can't help but like him anyway. Connie, his girlfriend, seems too smart to put up with his nonsense. But then, I'm putting up with him too, and expect to read another McNally book when escapism becons. Probably soon.
John Grazide
The Last of the Sanders Mcnally's. I really love the writing style. I hope the remaining books are similarly written.
In this one Archy has to try to prevent a rich widow from being swindled. And the usual cast join in the fun. Very enjoyable!
Kathie
Jun 16, 2014 Kathie rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
A delightful summer read. I considered myself reasonably knowledgeable with a decent vocabulary but I needed a dictionary close by for the many uncommon words the author used. Not only was the story entertaining, it expanded my vocabulary.
Bill Donhiser
Another good detective comedy from Lawrence Sanders. I am looking forward to reading/rereading the entire series this year as part of my 100 book challenge. Archy is entertaining and funny. A nice break from my other books.
Chris
Dec 22, 2008 Chris rated it really liked it
Archie is on the trail of a pair of con artists who are about to bilk a rich widow out of half a mil by convincing her to buy a Faberge egg. The McNally stories were my best detective discovery of 2008. I'm looking forward to more of Archie in 2009.
Maureen
Cute - I like the character "Archy McNally". He is smart (uses lots of great words), cares a bit too much about what he wears and eats, has flaws like the rest of us, lives with his rich parents and yet doesn't come off as snobby.
I think I will partake in another one of McNally's dramas.
Mazohyst
May 14, 2010 Mazohyst rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: owned, adult
I don't think that these kind of books are for me. I got tired of the atmosphere quite quickly. Although Archy is a very quirky and amusing character, I can't take the upper class scene. I just wanted to roll my eyes. First world problems at it's finest.
SYLVIE PARENT
Aug 17, 2015 SYLVIE PARENT rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Archie McNally never disappoint me!

What a dandy! It took me all of 2 days to read this book. Great plot, well written, verbose to the level we are accustomed to with Sanders. Recommended read!
Barbara
Dec 18, 2008 Barbara rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Once you get to know Archy and his family you just want to keep seeing the "tangeled web" that is always constantlly being woven.
April Suter
Jan 13, 2015 April Suter rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yes there are a few giggles as Archy solves the mystery of the Faberge egg scam. He is a man living in Palm Beach and he is single :)
Shishir
Nov 13, 2009 Shishir rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: witty
Archy McNally rocks! I love the way this series has been written - the wit is super and the language pretty darn good.
Helen
May 06, 2012 Helen rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Wealthy Palm Beach matron being swindled into buying a Fabrege egg. Just the problem for Archie McNally. Where's my puce beret?
Elizabeth
Jun 19, 2012 Elizabeth rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Always entertaining. This is the third Sanders book I have read this year. Archy McNally is an endearing character. The story was fascinating. I highly recommend it.
Christa
Feb 19, 2009 Christa rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The "McNally" detective series is so entertaining to read. Love the quirkiness of the main character!
Linda
Apr 27, 2012 Linda rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: humor, ficction
An amusing jaunt with a wry outlook from the lead character that will keep you amused to the very end.
Eva-lynn Diesenhaus
It is always a fun diversion to read the McNally series. Thanks goodness for my smart phone...otherwise I would have to carry a dictionary with me.
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • If Death Ever Slept (Nero Wolfe, #29)
  • The Alpine Legacy (Emma Lord, #12)
  • Knot the Usual Suspects (A Haunted Yarn Shop Mystery #5)
  • Knot Guilty (Crochet Mystery, #9)
  • Scrapbook of the Dead (A Cumberland Creek Mystery #5)
  • All Dressed Up and No Place to Haunt (A Haunted Vintage Mystery #2)
  • Murder Ties the Knot
  • Purl Up and Die (A Knitting Mystery, #13)
  • A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #1)
  • Faux Paw (A Magical Cats Mystery, #7)
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree, #1)
  • Hidden Charges
There is more than one author with this name

Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with
More about Lawrence Sanders...

Archy McNally (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • McNally's Secret (Archy McNally, #1)
  • McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2)
  • McNally's Risk (Archy McNally, #3)
  • McNally's Caper (Archy McNally, #4)
  • McNally's Trial (Archy McNally, #5)
  • McNally's Puzzle (Archy McNally, #6)
  • McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8)
  • McNally's Folly (Archy McNally, #9)
  • McNally's Chance (Archy McNally, #10)
  • McNally's Alibi (Archy McNally, #11)