Start by marking “Mc Nally's Gamble” as Want to Read:
Mc Nally's Gamble

Mc Nally's Gamble (Archy McNally #7)

3.86 of 5 stars 3.86  ·  rating details  ·  974 ratings  ·  35 reviews
Palm Beach bon vivant and playboy sleuth Archy McNally returns in another tale of love and larceny among the wealthy denizens of south Florida.Archy lives a life most people only dream about. As Chief of Discreet Inquiries at his father's white-shoe law firm, Archy keeps tabs on the rich and famous while keeping hours only a barfly could love. When well-to-do widow Edythe ...more
Audio CD, Abridged
Published February 9th 2004 by Simon & Schuster Audio (first published December 12th 1951)

To ask other readers questions about Mc Nally's Gamble, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mc Nally's Gamble

Darcy
I liked the charming main character, but it was funny how this 1997 novel had certain features which dated it terribly--like how everyone marvelled about a hotel that had caller I.D. that helped catch some kidnappers--Wow!
John
Another very fun Archy McNally tale. Unfortunately the last "real" McNally book. Since I've already read one of the others, I know they are a huge step down and aren't worthy of reading. I may have enjoyed this one more because I knew it was the last and it was very refreshing to return to the characters as Sanders wrote them. I can't help but wonder if he approved the books written by the other guy who distorted and twisted his characters unabashedly. Shame. These books did get a little formula ...more
Samir Krishnamurti
Lawrence Sanders rates as one of my all-time favourite detective story writers. The entire McNally canon just oozes with all the things that makes a good crime pot-boiler - dastardly and clever crime, beautiful women, and a wonderfully authentic urban setting. Glamour, glitz, girls and gore, in other words. What makes the McNally books special though, is the fact that they are narrated in the first person through perhaps the most lovable (male) idiosyncratic detective of all time, the one and on ...more
Bill Donhiser
Another good detective comedy from Lawrence Sanders. I am looking forward to reading/rereading the entire series this year as part of my 100 book challenge. Archy is entertaining and funny. A nice break from my other books.
Eva-lynn Diesenhaus
It is always a fun diversion to read the McNally series. Thanks goodness for my smart phone...otherwise I would have to carry a dictionary with me.
April Suter
Yes there are a few giggles as Archy solves the mystery of the Faberge egg scam. He is a man living in Palm Beach and he is single :)
David Reynolds
Another great one...have to love how much help Binky is, lol
Polly
borrowed from LH
Kathie
A delightful summer read. I considered myself reasonably knowledgeable with a decent vocabulary but I needed a dictionary close by for the many uncommon words the author used. Not only was the story entertaining, it expanded my vocabulary.
Christa McNally
You know that RELEASE of laughing outloud when you read? Regardless of where you are when you read this long joke, you are in Miami Florida, sweating, imagining eveyone around you is in a conspiracy. Pull out the white linen suit, SKYY90 martini, and a comfy couch: by the end you will want to become a member of this silver-spooned private investigation team.
Ross
1st Archy McNally novel I've read. My wife says they're all a pretty light but fun read, to which I have to agree. I'm not sure I really like the Archy McNally character, but the mystery itself was intriguing and there were enough fun descriptions of gourmet food sprinkled through the book to keep me always wanting to go nosh on something.
I'm assuming this is supposed to be satirical in nature, otherwise it would just be bad rather than laughingly bad. It's cheesy and seriously lacking in depth but that's the whole point from what I can tell. It's a fun, fluff of a murder mystery. The quirky McNally is amusing but I just don't think it's a series I'll be reading more of.
Beverly
This is one of the last in the Archy McNally series written by the late Lawrence Sanders. Despite its weaknesses, it's hard to dislike this as a tour de force of eccentric detective/fop/bygone era humor. It has a strange tone, the plot is dull, and the supporting characters are not that distinct or memorable
Maureen
Cute - I like the character "Archy McNally". He is smart (uses lots of great words), cares a bit too much about what he wears and eats, has flaws like the rest of us, lives with his rich parents and yet doesn't come off as snobby.
I think I will partake in another one of McNally's dramas.
Mazohyst
I don't think that these kind of books are for me. I got tired of the atmosphere quite quickly. Although Archy is a very quirky and amusing character, I can't take the upper class scene. I just wanted to roll my eyes. First world problems at it's finest.
Dorothy Caimano
McNally is a bad boy, but I can't help but like him anyway. Connie, his girlfriend, seems too smart to put up with his nonsense. But then, I'm putting up with him too, and expect to read another McNally book when escapism becons. Probably soon.
Chris
Archie is on the trail of a pair of con artists who are about to bilk a rich widow out of half a mil by convincing her to buy a Faberge egg. The McNally stories were my best detective discovery of 2008. I'm looking forward to more of Archie in 2009.
Elizabeth
Always entertaining. This is the third Sanders book I have read this year. Archy McNally is an endearing character. The story was fascinating. I highly recommend it.
Joe O'c
Very Good; Continuing character: Archy McNally and family; Archy assists in uncovering fraud and murder related to a scheme involving a Faberge egg
Barbara
Once you get to know Archy and his family you just want to keep seeing the "tangeled web" that is always constantlly being woven.
Helen
Wealthy Palm Beach matron being swindled into buying a Fabrege egg. Just the problem for Archie McNally. Where's my puce beret?
Shishir
Archy McNally rocks! I love the way this series has been written - the wit is super and the language pretty darn good.
Ann
It's been a while since I've read one of this series. He IS a character with a quirky was of looking at things.
Linda
An amusing jaunt with a wry outlook from the lead character that will keep you amused to the very end.
Christa
The "McNally" detective series is so entertaining to read. Love the quirkiness of the main character!
Chanette
I really like this author. Good Vocabulary..I know I am a dork but I love learning new words.
JoAnn Ainsworth
Terrific writing. Learning a lot of comedy and developing intriguing characters.

Ann
Sanders can't write enough Archie McNally stories for me. Pure escape.
columbialion
Jan 06, 2010 columbialion rated it 5 of 5 stars  ·  review of another edition
Recommended to columbialion by: Self
Another great Archie McNally adventure in Palm Beach
Pat
Another hilarious romp with Archy and Binky! Great fun!
  • Bloody Waters (Lupe Solano, #1)
  • If Death Ever Slept (Nero Wolfe, #29)
  • The Alpine Nemesis
  • Purl Up and Die
  • A Clue for the Puzzle Lady (Puzzle Lady, #1)
  • Death on the Family Tree (Family Tree, #1)
  • Tycoon
  • House of Wolves (An August Adams Adventure, #2)
  • Bitter Harvest (Orchard, #5)
  • The Chocolate Moose Motive (A Chocoholic Mystery, #12)
  • In the Dead of Summer (Amanda Pepper, #6)
There is more than one author with this name

Lawrence Sanders was the New York Times bestselling author of more than forty mystery and suspense novels. The Anderson Tapes, completed when he was fifty years old, received an Edgar Award from the Mystery Writers of America for best first novel. His prodigious oeuvre encompasses the Edward X. Delaney, Archy McNally, and Timothy Cone series, along with
More about Lawrence Sanders...

Archy McNally (1 - 10 of 13 books)
  • McNally's Secret
  • McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2)
  • McNally's Risk (Archy McNally, #3)
  • McNally's Caper
  • McNally's Trial
  • McNally's Puzzle
  • McNally's Folly
  • McNally's Dilemma (Archy McNally, #8)
  • McNally's Chance (Archy McNally, #10)
  • McNally's Alibi
The First Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins, #2) McNally's Secret The Third Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #4) The Second Deadly Sin (Deadly Sins #3) McNally's Luck (Archy McNally, #2)