Start by marking “Frontera Street” as Want to Read:
Frontera Street

Frontera Street

3.3 of 5 stars 3.30  ·  rating details  ·  63 ratings  ·  12 reviews
A richly imagined debut novel of friendship and forgiveness, Frontera Street explores the physical, cultural, and emotional borders that shape our lives, Carrying secrets and an unborn child, Dee Paxton leaves the affluent neighborhood of her youth and walks straight into Frontera Street Fabrics -- a little shop in the barrio only blocks from her home, but worlds apart. Th ...more
Published July 1st 2002 by NAL Trade (first published 2002)

To ask other readers questions about Frontera Street, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Frontera Street

Jessica
My Amazon review: While Frontera Street carries a strong message about crossing borders, both physical and self-imposed, the story that reveals the message is unbelievably full of extreme highs and lows. From the loss of husbands, lovers, jobs and businesses to the excitement of new love, full scholarships, babies and quinceaneras, it is impossible to get to know these characters and their true selves. Back stories and dirty laundry abound but do not amount to real insight into each characters h ...more
Natalie
This was a fast read, but it wasn't that great. Pretty predictable...the dad comes back & the mom gets with the teacher. I also do not like books that use words from another language in regular sentences and I'm supposed to figure out what they mean w.o translation. It's annoying.
Anne
Dee Paxton doesn't know where to go or who to turn to after her 28 year old husband dies unexpectedly of a brain aneurysm. She ends up in her hometown on the TX/Mexico border where she applies for a job in a fabric shop on the "wrong" side of town.
Chambodia
This felt too much like a PC handbook for me to truly enjoy it. The best parts of the novel are when the characters interact with each other the way most of us do, one on one, instead of one demographic to another.
Judy King
Quick entertaining read about the crossing of cultural boundries -- geographic, community, class, family, stereotypical, more.

Likeable characters, sweet story, surprising twists. Good inside view of border life.
Katherine
This is definitely Chicana chic lit but very well written and while predictable I enjoyed it. Set in Texas border town a young Anglo widow from the Westside finds family and love in the barrio.
Desiree
Loved this story of women who come together due to some sad circumstances and become friends. Something they never would have imagined to ever happen due to racial and economic lines. Great read!!
Stephanie
This is a quick read that was enjoyable. However, the end was predictable and a just too neat, which was disappointing.
Cynthia
Sweet sappy story of poor/rich on the border and why warm Latino culture is better than cold white-people ways. I liked it.
Danielle
Although the writing is not superior, I loved the bonds of sisterhood created across racial lines.
Ursula
One of the worst books I've ever read. Predictable, cheesy characters and bad writing.
Harriet Hirsch
Harriet Hirsch marked it as to-read
Sep 23, 2014
Bridj Gammad
Bridj Gammad marked it as to-read
Jul 19, 2014
Btography
Btography marked it as to-read
Mar 29, 2014
Nett
Nett added it
Mar 19, 2014
Angela
Angela marked it as to-read
Dec 26, 2013
Deborah
Deborah marked it as to-read
Oct 18, 2013
Maureen
Maureen is currently reading it
Jul 31, 2013