Pumpkin Cat

Pumpkin Cat

3.72 of 5 stars 3.72  ·  rating details  ·  75 ratings  ·  24 reviews
On a stormy night in October, a ginger cat finds refuge in the "Returned Books" bin of the local library. Rescued by two kind librarians, Pumpkin Cat makes a home for herself in the large children's room. But the wooden sheep and the sock monkey never talk, and once the librarians leave for the day, Pumpkin Cat is lonely. Searching for what is missing, she makes a new frie...more
Published 2004 by Hyperion Books For Children

To ask other readers questions about Pumpkin Cat, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Pumpkin Cat

Library Lion by Michelle KnudsenThe Library by Sarah StewartThe Boy Who Was Raised by Librarians by Carla MorrisThe Library Dragon by Carmen Agra DeedyLibrary Mouse by Daniel Kirk
Picture Books about the Library!
38th out of 107 books — 116 voters
Pumpkin Jack by Will HubbellToo Many Pumpkins by Linda WhitePumpkin Soup by Helen CooperHow Many Seeds in a Pumpkin? by Margaret McNamaraPumpkin Cat by Anne Mortimer
Picture Books About Pumpkins
8th out of 98 books — 6 voters

More lists with this book...

Ann
Nov 06, 2008 Ann rated it 5 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: Halloween book readers and cat lovers!
Recommended to Ann by: Katie
Such an adorable story with delightful illustrations!
Plus, there being an orange kitty and a black kitty helped to endear it to me, since those are the colored kitties of ours:>

It's a tale of a lost kitty who finds a home, friends, and other characters to love - all at a library. :)
Kathryn
Very sweet! Libraries and kitty-cats--what could be better!?
Heidi
From the cover, I thought the book would be really trite and boring. But it was cute. How can you not love a book that takes place at a library! The pictures are sweet. I love the small-town library. I miss my own from my childhood. And the book almost made me want to have such a well-behaved cat as well. But I'm not a cat person. No matter how cute the drawings. This just might work for Book Time, especially as a contrast to all the gruesome and grotesqeue that I'm finding.
Kate McCartney
I read this book before becoming a librarian and thought this is the library I wanted to work in!

Pumpkin Cat finds a warm, safe place to sleep during a terrible storm. Her safe place turns out to be a library book drop box. The two librarians who find her decide she will be a nice addition to the collection. The kids love her. But Pumpkin cat feels like she something is missing. Beautiful watercolors give a sense of the autumn season and small library setting.
Ryan
I really really didn't want to finish this book.
It was probably the most poorly written, plotless, pointless picture book I've come across in a while.
Sadly my kids forced me to finish it.
Every page was torture. I've hidden the book so this will never happen again.
Jenifer
Out of Print. I thought it would be more Halloweeny, but was delighted that it really was about companionship. Made me feel good to read it. The pictures were fabulous!
Dolly
Sep 29, 2012 Dolly rated it 4 of 5 stars
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is a sweet tale about a cat who is adopted by librarians after she ends up in the book drop-off box. The story is so reminiscent of the story of Dewey: The Small-Town Library Cat Who Touched the World, I had to check and see if the story was true or perhaps loosely based on that story. It's listed as fiction by my local library, although Dewey's tale is true.

The story is heartwarming, with a Halloween theme, so it would be great for reading during storytime at this time of year. The illust...more
Josiah
This book is surprisingly gentle and warm. It's directed as a Halloween story, but is definitely good enough to be shared with others at any time, regardless of the date on the calendar.
Kids will identify with the initial loneliness of Pumpkin Cat as she first wanders into the empty library, unsure of what is going to happen and looking for nothing more complex than a home of her own. What proceeds from that point is the story of how Pumpkin Cat finds that home with people who genuinely care a...more
Angela
May 10, 2010 Angela rated it 4 of 5 stars
Shelves: kids
Had to pick this one up, since we had a kitty named Pumpkin that showed up on our doorstep just before Halloween. (She recently passed away, so I read it with a tinge of sadness.) A nice story. I love the idea of a library cat. But it was a little on the long side, and I didn't feel like my little guy responded to the illustrations.
Callie Rose Tyler
This book is all over the place, and takes on too much, it's about a lost cat, a library, halloween, and friendship. There was nothing special or clever about this book at all, there was pretty much no point. Even the names of the cats lack in creativity, pumpkin cat and halloween cat? really? lame. boring.
Meredith
my nephew and I love cats. And libraries. This book delightfully combines the two in a touching manner. My own cat named Pumpkin arrived on Halloween, so my nephew got a big kick out of the similarities. A fun, autumn book.
Andrea
This is a cute book. Incorporates Halloween without being scary. The librarians find a ginger colored cat and decide to let it live in the library. The cat is lonely and eventually is blessed with a companion in the library.
Mary
This children's book reminded me of a book I read where a librarian and her staff rescued a kitten from their return box and the cat lived in the library for her whole life with time off at the librarian's house.
Hilary
Lord, I love this book! It is so cute! :)
Awwww...I can't think of a better Halloween picture book unless it's Boris and Bella!
cute write it never fails
it was boring but to my lil sis it was amazing it was only about a cat beig found and the cat loves a little girl
Erika
We love love love this book! It reminds me of fall...I can just smell rotting leaves, crisp air and lit pumpkins.
Kim
A child's version of the Dewey Story. A cat in a library. Pleasant drawings and well told.
Kim
Sweet story if a little long.

Themes: cat, Halloween, library
Michelle
Really cute, but I don't like the message at the end
Laura Madsen
Sweet story about kitty who finds a home.
Skylar Burris
Good vocabulary. Not a very interesting story.
Krista the Krazy Kataloguer
A stray cat becomes the library cat!
Candida
Absolutely adorable!
Mckinley
Fine illustrations, ok story.
Mallory
Mallory marked it as to-read
Sep 17, 2014
Maddie Claire
Maddie Claire marked it as to-read
Aug 27, 2014
Amelia
Amelia marked it as to-read
Aug 12, 2014
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Ann Warren Turner is a children's author and a poet.
Ann Turner wrote her first story when she was eight years old. It was about a dragon and a dwarf named Puckity. She still uses that story when she talks to students about writing, to show them that they too have stories worth telling.
Turner has always loved to write, but at first she was afraid she couldn't make a living doing it. So she trained...more
More about Ann Turner...
The Girl Who Chased Away Sorrow: The Diary of Sarah Nita, a Navajo Girl (Dear America) Love Thy Neighbor: The Tory Diary of Prudence Emerson (Dear America) Learning to Swim Father of Lies Hard Hit